Sign in to follow this  
JFS179

2017 Rotoworld Mock Draft III -- Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

JFS179    3,018

I've been waiting for someone to start up another one of these, but I'm bored and have been wanting to participate in one. The forum's last mock draft started in early January, so we're a solid 6 weeks after that, plus camps are getting fired up. 

 

Some best practices off the top:

1) format needs to be relevant to the majority of the community, so 5x5 is preferred. Depth of the draft can be discussed, especially things like 2 catchers. Roto vs H2H can also be determined by the participants. 

 

2) participants need to commit to being on the forums at least every couple of hours during the standard business day. Weekends are a little different and should be determined by the participants. In the past, we've had these drafts drag on and on -- ideally the draft is completed in a week to 10 days (sooner is better).  If you can't commit to that, please don't sign up. 

 

3) when you make your selection, PM the manager that's next on the clock. Tagging them in a post does send a notification, but does not always email the user. PMs almost always do email the user. 

 

4) plan ahead -- if you see your pick approaching and you know you'll be out of pocket, send a list of names to another participant near your pick. This is a mock -- there's no competitive advantage or disadvantage to keeping it moving with a list of your preferred options. 

 

It's also a good idea, IMO, to stack up the time zones on either ends of the draft, if applicable. It's frustrating for west coast guys to wait till the next morning when the east coast guys sign off for the night, and vice versa when the east coast guys are ready to roll in the morning and the west coast guys aren't up yet. 

 

All that said... who's interested in participating?  I know some of the more frequent guys have been in either Mock I or II, but there's a more limited community paying attention to the forum right now -- attentive participants are more important than new blood, given the time of year. 

 

1) JFS179 - CST

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JFS179    3,018

I would suggest a pretty standard "deep" league roster as follows (NFBC + 1 UT):

2 C

1B

2B

SS

3B

CI

MI

5 OF

2 UT

 

9 P (if folks feel strongly designating SP vs RP we can do so)

 

That's a 24-man active roster, and given the depth of that gets to pretty decent depth. We could add a few bench spots if desired, but picks in the mid-late 20s rounds aren't really the point of these IMO. Perhaps 3 bench slots, total of 27 rounds and 324 players?

 

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
taobball    4,413

Hah, I was just looking for the other thread to bring this back up. I've been in the first two, but I'm certainly  not taking a hard pass, just a side step and waiting to see if there's a spot. Definitely have the time and interest. 

 

Tired of getting into a mock and having someone take David Price at #9 overall, a fifth round hitter, and then seeing "Anthony Left the Draft Room." I like mocking on Yahoo but I can't get a team that I don't think will utterly rip the league apart. Maybe some will disagree with my assessments, but right now I'm sitting in a yahoo mock with Lucroy, Hanley, Villar, Rendon, Story, Trout, Desmond, Lemahieu, Bumgarner, Hendricks, and Giles and thinking to myself... this will not happen. Period. 

 

Also don't really care about roster settings. Would always prefer deeper, would always prefer to have a MI and CI and 5 OF, but really doesn't matter too much. 

Edited by taobball
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
taobball    4,413

oh re: Tagging v. PM'n.

 

I'd say it depends on the user. There's no reason to PM me, I odn't get email notifications regardless (and do believe you can set it up either way right?) and it makes way more sense when dealing with me to Tag me. And even if I got email notifications, I don't check emails a ton. I'll see the notification here first most of the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
midlip    317

I'm interested but that's an insanely deep roster you're suggesting and might take a very long time

 

Suggest removing MI/CI and keeping it to 4 OF and 1 C

 

Will follow your lead, however 

 

I'm EST

Edited by midlip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dodgers    97
10 minutes ago, midlip said:

I'm interested but that's an insanely deep roster you're suggesting and might take a very long time

 

Suggest removing MI/CI and keeping it to 4 OF and 1 C

 

Will follow your lead, however 

 

I'm EST

I love the5 OF,  2 UT and mi/ci spots. One catcher I don't mind in leagues. 

Edited by Dodgers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
taobball    4,413
5 minutes ago, midlip said:

I'm interested but that's an insanely deep roster you're suggesting and might take a very long time

 

Suggest removing MI/CI and keeping it to 4 OF and 1 C

 

Will follow your lead, however 

 

I'm EST

 

idk if it's "insanely" deep. I believe MI CI 5 OF 1 C is ESPN standard right now right? 

 

I'm partial but don't care. I just feel like too many good players are just "bench" at that point and what's the fun in that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JFS179    3,018
36 minutes ago, taobball said:

oh re: Tagging v. PM'n.

 

I'd say it depends on the user. There's no reason to PM me, I odn't get email notifications regardless (and do believe you can set it up either way right?) and it makes way more sense when dealing with me to Tag me. And even if I got email notifications, I don't check emails a ton. I'll see the notification here first most of the time. 

 

I think the best practice is doing both. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
taobball    4,413
Just now, JFS179 said:

 

I think the best practice is doing both. 

 

I mean certainly no harm in it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
midlip    317
23 minutes ago, taobball said:

 

idk if it's "insanely" deep. I believe MI CI 5 OF 1 C is ESPN standard right now right? 

 

I'm partial but don't care. I just feel like too many good players are just "bench" at that point and what's the fun in that? 

Really?  Damn... maybe the league I run is too shallow.

 

C
1B
2B
3B
SS
OF
Util
SP
RP
P
BN
DL
NA
1
1
1
1
1
3
2
2
2
3
6
3
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
taobball    4,413
Just now, midlip said:

Really?  Damn... maybe the league I run is too shallow.

 

C
1B
2B
3B
SS
OF
Util
SP
RP
P
BN
DL
NA
1
1
1
1
1
3
2
2
2
3
6
3
2

 

I mean there's no such thing as too shallow or too deep, all just a matter of perspective. My personal preference is definitely 5 OF MI/CI. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
taobball    4,413
Just now, Fbaseballgod said:

I might want to do it but can we stick to 1 catcher? 

 

I have no problem with one catcher and most of my leagues are one catcher... I thikn the problem most people who want to do 2 Catchers have with it though is that half the people will just wait, and that's just a really simple thing to say but in terms of mocking I do find 2 Catcher more interesting because at a certain point in a one catcher catchers just don't matter and you're waiting for the end game. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dodgers    97

To me the format JFS posted is standard. I find it boring with less then 5 of's and no mi/ci spots. Even my 20 teamer uses this format but with one catcher. But like TAO said it is more fun with 2 catchers or people just wait 15 rounds to grab one.

Edited by Dodgers
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JFS179    3,018

I'm willing to compromise on the 2 catchers, though agreed with @taobball that with 1 you have 3 teams take the top guys and everyone else waits till the last handful of rounds. 

 

I'll go to the mat for MI/CI though -- really believe those need to be there. I also would push for at least 4 OF.

 

Maybe the solution is to just mock the roster I laid out with no bench -- 2 C, MI/CI, 5OF, 2 UT. Shallower leagues can look at those drafted as MI/CI and the 5th OF as bench guys, while deeper league guys get the depth they want. 

 

Taking bench guys in a mock is kinda pointless to me anyway. You're just drafting late round 'sleepers' -- guys you want to throw a dart at. So what I'm proposing would be to draft the 24 active spots I put forth (15 hitters, 9 pitchers).  Maybe 1 bench for a more round number of 25 rounds?

 

By my count:

1) JFS179

2) Dodger

3) midlip

4) Fuzzy

 

taobball and fbaseballgod are maybes...

 

Some of the guys that are in here all the time right now should jump in. Looking at you @mysonx3, @StevieStats, @96mnc, @lipitorkid, etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
96mnc    5,163
59 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

I'm willing to compromise on the 2 catchers, though agreed with @taobball that with 1 you have 3 teams take the top guys and everyone else waits till the last handful of rounds. 

 

I'll go to the mat for MI/CI though -- really believe those need to be there. I also would push for at least 4 OF.

 

Maybe the solution is to just mock the roster I laid out with no bench -- 2 C, MI/CI, 5OF, 2 UT. Shallower leagues can look at those drafted as MI/CI and the 5th OF as bench guys, while deeper league guys get the depth they want. 

 

Taking bench guys in a mock is kinda pointless to me anyway. You're just drafting late round 'sleepers' -- guys you want to throw a dart at. So what I'm proposing would be to draft the 24 active spots I put forth (15 hitters, 9 pitchers).  Maybe 1 bench for a more round number of 25 rounds?

 

By my count:

1) JFS179

2) Dodger

3) midlip

4) Fuzzy

 

taobball and fbaseballgod are maybes...

 

Some of the guys that are in here all the time right now should jump in. Looking at you @mysonx3, @StevieStats, @96mnc, @lipitorkid, etc.

 

I'm out for this round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JFS179    3,018

1) JFS179 - Central

2) Dodger - Pacific

3) Midlip - Eastern

4) Fuzzy -- unknown

5) Taobball - unknown (you're in unless we have more people want to participate than spots available, which I think you'll be fine participating)

6) The Boatmen - unknown

 

Fbaseballgod is a maybe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
taobball    4,413
1 minute ago, JFS179 said:

1) JFS179 - Central

2) Dodger - Pacific

3) Midlip - Eastern

4) Fuzzy -- unknown

5) Taobball - unknown (you're in unless we have more people want to participate than spots available, which I think you'll be fine participating)

6) The Boatmen - unknown

 

Fbaseballgod is a maybe.

 

If you need my time zone it's EST but I usually don't list it because my sleep schedule is much more PST because I have work till 2:30 am and do HW after work and then don't have class any day before 2:30 PM. 

 

and i'm up all the time so it's rarely an issue. 

Edited by taobball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this