elite

Le'Veon Bell 2017 Season Outlook

Recommended Posts

Beast Mode. Is he back to being a top 5 pick this year? As long as he is healthy (or not suspended) the guy dominates.

 

Speaking Thursday, Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said he has "no reservations" about free agent Le'Veon Bell, and that he hopes Bell retires with the team.

"There is no hesitation for us to have him," Colbert said. "Hopefully, his entire career." Bell indicated last summer he would seek $15 million per year in long-term talks, a number that has likely gone up, and a number that would certainly frighten a modern general manager when considering a running back. Working in Bell's favor is his age (25 on Saturday), and complete dominance whenever he's at full health. The problem, of course, has been his health, as well as his off-the-field issues. The off-the-field concerns probably won't factor into the talks as much as is assumed, as any future suspension would void Bell's guaranteed money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leveon is always going to have the lingering possible 4 game suspension over his head and is one puff or missed test away from it. That being said he's a top 3 pick, IMO, across all formats.  He's just too dang good and his role in that offense is unquestioned.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about Big Ben getting a year older? Seems to be pretty injury prone the last few seasons but does this have any major effects on Bell's output?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, elite said:

How about Big Ben getting a year older? Seems to be pretty injury prone the last few seasons but does this have any major effects on Bell's output?

 

maybe some how more dump off passes? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, elite said:

How about Big Ben getting a year older? Seems to be pretty injury prone the last few seasons but does this have any major effects on Bell's output?

Ben's injury history and age are starting to catch up with him no doubt about it and even the rumors of his retirement being taken into consideration could be interesting for all Steelers offensive players involved long term.  That being said, LEveon IMO is such a dynamic player that i think as long as PITT can find a serviceable game managing type QB that doesn't cripple the offense overall, he should still produce at a high rate.  Leveon put together a pretty decent day this year when Landry Jones filled in mid season.  Caught double digit passes i believe.  If say PITT did move onto a less stable or effective QB i could see it hurting PITT skill players numbers to some degree, esp if they can't maintain drives or have a QB turnover fest. Overall though, i not crazy concerned to the point i would ever move Leveon outside my top 5.  At least not anytime soon.   I'd be way more concerned for Brown if a QB change or Big Bens major decline starts happening in the near future

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A no brainer first overall to me as of now.

 

The suspension thing is scary but he it's only scary if your draft is way before the season. Otherwise, you'll be fine if he still isn't suspended as he has not been suspended during the season. Injury risk isn't all that much bigger than anyone else. He played this entire season minus the groin injury. His injuries don't strike me concerning in the sense that Alshon Jeffery injuries concern me.

 

He is easily the most talented back in my opinion and he is also on a dynamic offense. Big Ben is slightly concerning but Palmer has a ton of his own problems and Zeke isn't nearly the dual threat.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

A no brainer first overall to me as of now.

 

The suspension thing is scary but he it's only scary if your draft is way before the season. Otherwise, you'll be fine if he still isn't suspended as he has not been suspended during the season. Injury risk isn't all that much bigger than anyone else. He played this entire season minus the groin injury. His injuries don't strike me concerning in the sense that Alshon Jeffery injuries concern me.

 

He is easily the most talented back in my opinion and he is also on a dynamic offense. Big Ben is slightly concerning but Palmer has a ton of his own problems and Zeke isn't nearly the dual threat.

 

Three season ending surgeries in three years is a problem for me.   The groin injury happened in his 13th game played.

 

Full disclosure - not sure if he did go under the knife for the groin injury yet. 

 

Ppr I go DJ, LB, Zeke.

Standard - Zeke or DJ then Bell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

 

Three season ending surgeries in three years is a problem for me.   The groin injury happened in his 13th game played.

 

Full disclosure - not sure if he did go under the knife for the groin injury yet. 

 

Ppr I go DJ, LB, Zeke.

Standard - Zeke or DJ then Bell

Again, it's not like his career is plagued by injuries. 2014 he played the entire year before hyperextending his knee in the final game. 2015 was a torn MCL which i always chalk up to as an unlucky event. This year he played the entire season (obviously minus the suspension) and then had a groin injury.

 

His injuries aren't nagging ones. Those are the ones that scare me more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably #1 for me right now. Though, i made this more considering palmer and co.  would not be back in ARI.

I just saw less team turnover as long as ben was returning, but i personally dont think bell relies on the passing game as much as DJ does. The guys talent is legit and nothing like ive ever seen. I like his surrounding talent a little better, helps draw attention away from him and also has a more favorable Oline. This is also barring him entering this year with no off field issues.

Now that palmer has returned tho, he has eyes for DJ. And bells off field issues may push DJ up above him. But im firmly at a 1a/1b type situation for both of them, zeke just feels like a tier lower for me, but clearly above the others. 

There both tremendous talents and id personally be happy with either. But easily your top 2 picks across any format, for now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BlakeP42 said:

Leveon is always going to have the lingering possible 4 game suspension over his head and is one puff or missed test away from it. That being said he's a top 3 pick, IMO, across all formats.  He's just too dang good and his role in that offense is unquestioned.  

Isn't the next suspension a 1 year ban?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, elite said:

How about Big Ben getting a year older? Seems to be pretty injury prone the last few seasons but does this have any major effects on Bell's output?

 

It definitely does. Decreasing volume (which could be offset by dumpoffs). Decreasing TD opportunities. Decreasing amount of offensive plays. It also would have a huge effect on Antonio Brown. In drafting Julio/OBD before AB again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ffguy0087 said:

4 games.

 

10 games, not 4 is what Bell gets the next time he tests positive. 

 

Amazes me that people act as though Bell's injury history and suspension risk doesn't matter when comparing him to comparable talents like DJ. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ffguy0087 said:

4 games.

4 games was last time.  It just got knocked down to 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

 

10 games, not 4 is what Bell gets the next time he tests positive. 

 

Amazes me that people act as though Bell's injury history and suspension risk doesn't matter when comparing him to comparable talents like DJ. 

 

Yeah I have this argument all the time with my buddy.  Bell over DJ next year in my opinion is idiotic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, joshua18 said:

 

10 games, not 4 is what Bell gets the next time he tests positive. 

 

Amazes me that people act as though Bell's injury history and suspension risk doesn't matter when comparing him to comparable talents like DJ. 

 

Wrong.

 

"As part of a settlement between the two parties, Bell will remain in his current stage of the substance-abuse program, Garafolo added. Staying in the same stage of the program means Bell's next suspension would also be four games, not 10.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000687567/article/leveon-bells-suspension-reduced-to-three-games

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wide angle DJ vs Le'Veon:

 

Who's more likely to miss games due to suspension?  Bell

Who's more likely to suffer an injury requiring surgery?  Bell

Who has more competition for touches on his team?   Bell

 

I'm taking DJ.

 

You could make a case that DJ is clearly the number two RECEIVING option on his team.   With Bell you'll have AB, returning Martavius, emerging Eli.  

 

I expect Bell to be more efficient given the quality of the offense around him but at this point I expect more volume for DJ to make up for that. 

 

And I don't think DJ is a finished product as a runner yet either.  He's improved his vision and patience each year.   I expect that to continue for another year. 

 

Quick aside - Zeke Elliott isn't a finished product yet as a runner either.   As someone that has watched every snap he's played since his freshman year in college I can tell you there's an element of his game he hasn't displayed yet consistently in the NFL.  The ability to make tacklers completely on the second level and beyond.  This year he either tried to run over or past them.   He's got the ability to completely make them miss also.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, joshua18 said:

 

10 games, not 4 is what Bell gets the next time he tests positive. 

 

Amazes me that people act as though Bell's injury history and suspension risk doesn't matter when comparing him to comparable talents like DJ. 

 

When has Bell's suspension risk ever caused you to regret picking him? Never unless you draft way too early.

 

Torn ACL is a freak injury and his two other season ending injuries came after the fantasy season was over. So it doesn't matter enough to bump DJ over him who himself just had a season ending injury in his second year. But that's none of my business.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gohawks said:

When has Bell's suspension risk ever caused you to regret picking him? Never unless you draft way too early.

After the 2nd time you tend to start worrying about it.  If you make the same mistake twice, a third time isn't so surprising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Wide angle DJ vs Le'Veon:

 

Who's more likely to miss games due to suspension?  Bell

Who's more likely to suffer an injury requiring surgery?  Bell

Who has more competition for touches on his team?   Bell

 

I'm taking DJ.

 

You could make a case that DJ is clearly the number two RECEIVING option on his team.   With Bell you'll have AB, returning Martavius, emerging Eli.  

 

I expect Bell to be more efficient given the quality of the offense around him but at this point I expect more volume for DJ to make up for that. 

 

And I don't think DJ is a finished product as a runner yet either.  He's improved his vision and patience each year.   I expect that to continue for another year. 

 

Quick aside - Zeke Elliott isn't a finished product yet as a runner either.   As someone that has watched every snap he's played since his freshman year in college I can tell you there's an element of his game he hasn't displayed yet consistently in the NFL.  The ability to make tacklers completely on the second level and beyond.  This year he either tried to run over or past them.   He's got the ability to completely make them miss also.

 

Ill give you your first two points about suspension and injury, but not the competition for touches. If he's in the game, Bell eats.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

After the 2nd time you tend to start worrying about it.  If you make the same mistake twice, a third time isn't so surprising.

 

You know I can barely recall it with all the money he has won me.   There is no such thing as picking Bell "too early."  

 

Please send invite.  

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Wide angle DJ vs Le'Veon:

 

Who's more likely to miss games due to suspension?  Bell

Who's more likely to suffer an injury requiring surgery?  Bell

Who has more competition for touches on his team?   Bell

 

I'm taking DJ.

 

You could make a case that DJ is clearly the number two RECEIVING option on his team.   With Bell you'll have AB, returning Martavius, emerging Eli.  

 

I expect Bell to be more efficient given the quality of the offense around him but at this point I expect more volume for DJ to make up for that. 

 

And I don't think DJ is a finished product as a runner yet either.  He's improved his vision and patience each year.   I expect that to continue for another year. 

 

Quick aside - Zeke Elliott isn't a finished product yet as a runner either.   As someone that has watched every snap he's played since his freshman year in college I can tell you there's an element of his game he hasn't displayed yet consistently in the NFL.  The ability to make tacklers completely on the second level and beyond.  This year he either tried to run over or past them.   He's got the ability to completely make them miss also.

 

3 hours ago, petekrum said:

 

Ill give you your first two points about suspension and injury, but not the competition for touches. If he's in the game, Bell eats.

Right on point, as usual gents. Here's how I see it currently:

 

Most talented and highest ceiling- Bell

Most involved and consistent weekly- DJ

Best O-line and most room to grow- Zeke

 

Haven't decided which one I'd take at 1.01....   I'd like to own share of each TBH.

 

Edited by Impreza178

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

 

Right on point, as usual gents. Here's how I see it currently:

 

Most talented and highest ceiling- Bell

Most involved and consistent weekly- DJ

Best O-line and most room to grow- Zeke

 

Haven't decided which one I'd take at 1.01....   I'd like to own share of each TBH.

 

Most talented and highest ceiling is not Bell.  Johnson had 20 TD's in 2016, 11 more touchdowns than Bell.  How does Bell beat that?  Johnson did in his second season what bell has never done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

 

You know I can barely recall it with all the money he has won me.   There is no such thing as picking Bell "too early."  

 

Please send invite.  

 

 

 

 

 

Are you saying you're going to win a league against me because you're smart enough to draft one of the best RB's in the league?  lol

 

All I'm saying is that Bell over DJ makes no sense with Bell's suspension risk.  Plus you know DJ scores more fantasy points, 2 years in a row.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, petekrum said:

 

Ill give you your first two points about suspension and injury, but not the competition for touches. If he's in the game, Bell eats.

EVERYONE is eating when Bryant comes back. 30 points a game should be easy. 3 Pro Bowl level talents for Ben to give the ball to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.