elite

Le'Veon Bell 2017 Season Outlook

3 minutes ago, brosephd said:

can someone explain what franchise tag mean in laymen terms

Means a player can not sign with any other team and is guaranteed top 5 salary for his position.  Then for every additional year a team franchise the player the salary goes up by I think 20 percent.  Reason Cousins would get 34 mil this next season since he has been franchised the past 2 years.

14 minutes ago, brosephd said:

can someone explain what franchise tag mean in laymen terms

You get paid a lot of guaranteed money for a single season. No long-term security. There is an exclusive one where other teams cannot negotiate with the player and a non-exclusive one where other teams can negotiate and the Steelers can either match or get two 1st round draft picks in return.

20 minutes ago, youngrice said:

In protest? Of what? getting paid 14 mil.  Yeah ok

For a position like RB which the career average is very low, long-term security is important. And if the Steelers keep franchising Bell they could effectively keep him under contract without ever giving him his 1st big contract extension as he begins to hit the down slope of his career. He was a 1st round pick and went through 5 years of a rookie contract. He could go through 2-3 years additionally under franchise that the Steelers could probably afford.

Bell's earned at least a 3-year top-dollar deal. I agree with him on this (although I'm sure he'd want 5). The Steelers need to get this done imo.

I agree he has earned it but he continues to shoot himself in the foot.  This isn't the way to go about a contract negotiation, and in terms of timing this couldn't be much worse. 

The guy is an amazing talent, imo he is by far the best back in the league... if only his decision making off the field could match his performance on the field.  Things like this are so destructive to team chemistry and this is now going to cause distractions for the team in their most important game of the season.  There is a time and a place and he has yet to learn that lesson, I think this does more the hurt his chances at a long term deal than help it.  SMH LE'VEON, STFU GO WIN A SUPERBOWL ANDTHEN COME TO THE TABLE WITH YOUR BARGAINING CHIPS!!!!

Edited by Flynfiesta6

56 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

Take 2018 off or retire if he gets tagged again lol. Retire your whiney prick. 

Ha - wow.

This dude actually never wines. Never says a thing. Smokes some weed now and then.

In the meantime he's a perennial MVP candidate in the NFL. All while being strung along year to year by PIT.

I don't blame the Steelers for doing what they've been doing. OTOH I couldn't possibly blame Bell for saying what he's saying. I'd be a hypocrite.

Bottom line - he's talking about next year and beyond. He's paid for this year and from it looks like so far he's committed to earning what he agreed to be paid in 2017-18.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SuperJoint said:

Bell's earned at least a 3-year top-dollar deal. I agree with him on this (although I'm sure he'd want 5). The Steelers need to get this done imo.

Rumor has it he was offered 42 mill over 3 years with 30 million guaranteed.

If that true, it looks like he wants to be the highest paid non QB.  I mean he would've made more money on the contract vs the tag this year.

2 hours ago, devaster said:

For a position like RB which the career average is very low, long-term security is important. And if the Steelers keep franchising Bell they could effectively keep him under contract without ever giving him his 1st big contract extension as he begins to hit the down slope of his career. He was a 1st round pick and went through 5 years of a rookie contract. He could go through 2-3 years additionally under franchise that the Steelers could probably afford.

Yes but that 14 mill is guaranteed and so would the next year at 17 mill.  If he signs a long term deal say 5 year 50 mill with 20 mil signing bonus.  The only thing he is guaranteed is the 20 mil bonus.  I mean this year he made almost 4 mil more then the next closest RB.  While playing under the franchise tag isn't ideal its not like he's getting underpaid.

4 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Yes but that 14 mill is guaranteed and so would the next year at 17 mill.  If he signs a long term deal say 5 year 50 mill with 20 mil signing bonus.  The only thing he is guaranteed is the 20 mil bonus.  I mean this year he made almost 4 mil more then the next closest RB.  While playing under the franchise tag isn't ideal its not like he's getting underpaid.

You never get underpaid as a Franchise Tag - that's not the point.

He's 26 and wants a commitment - that's it. Maybe he wants to be the highest paid whatever - obviously the Steelers have the right to mull that one over. May as well trade him if you think he's serious at that point. Because someone will pay him - BTW.

1 hour ago, youngrice said:

The thing is he does think he's underpaid.  He doesn't want to be lumped in with the other RBs which he will be if he keeps signing the franchise tag.  His point is he does as much for this offense as Anontio Brown who is getting 17 mill per year and wants to be paid accordingly.

He does have a point.  What he does for this offense with all his receptions and rushing is just as important as AB.

3 hours ago, RustyMiller said:

The thing is he does think he's underpaid.  He doesn't want to be lumped in with the other RBs which he will be if he keeps signing the franchise tag.  His point is he does as much for this offense as Anontio Brown who is getting 17 mill per year and wants to be paid accordingly.

He does have a point.  What he does for this offense with all his receptions and rushing is just as important as AB.

Agreed he deserves to get paid!! But he also put himself in this position.  Nobody made him get suspended twice.  If he never got suspended I guarantee they would of paid him

@SuperJoint actually he spent all last off season whining abt his contract and he spent the year before whining about his injury. He Also whined after a slow start last year because he was whining about his contract in the off season.

He whined in 2015 when he had lower usage rate in certain games and situations. 👍but to each their own.

whine* 

Edited by Zekepeak86
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, devaster said:

You get paid a lot of guaranteed money for a single season. No long-term security. There is an exclusive one where other teams cannot negotiate with the player and a non-exclusive one where other teams can negotiate and the Steelers can either match or get two 1st round draft picks in return.

funny thing is guaranteed money IS THE LONG -TERM SECURITY.

Freeman signe the top  5yr contract of 43mm  but only 22mm is guaranteed. bell got 17mm guaranteed for a single year.

Long term future income  is not guaranteed becuase of multiple variables and triggers. Franchise tag has been helping him because each season they have had to increase the contract value due to  changes in mkt conditions and his performance. The freeman contract helps his negotiating value.

makes me wonder how many rb's actually succeed in completing their long term deals after their rookie contracts.

Edited by dashoe

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

funny thing is guaranteed money IS THE LONG -TERM SECURITY.

Long term future income  is not guaranteed becuase of multiple variables and triggers. Franchise tag has been helping him because each season they have had to increase the contract value due to  changes in mkt conditions and his performance. 

makes me wonder how many rb's actually succeed in completing their long term deals after their rookie contracts.

There is more guaranteed money available in a long-term deal. In addition to getting at least 2-3 seasons usually of salary. Teams rarely walk away after 1 or 2 seasons, because the contracts are front-loaded and it puts them into cap issues.

Listening to Bell talk about it though he wants to set precedent for other RBs after him. He wants to leave the position in a better place than when he arrived in the NFL. The position has continually been underappreciated as the league continues its move to a passing league. I don't fault him for that.

I don't have any idea about the Steelers' cap situation next season, but they would be smart to lock him up for a few more years to milk what is left of Ben's career. Once Ben retires their window slams shut.

2 minutes ago, devaster said:

There is more guaranteed money available in a long-term deal. In addition to getting at least 2-3 seasons usually of salary. Teams rarely walk away after 1 or 2 seasons, because the contracts are front-loaded and it puts them into cap issues.

Listening to Bell talk about it though he wants to set precedent for other RBs after him. He wants to leave the position in a better place than when he arrived in the NFL. The position has continually been underappreciated as the league continues its move to a passing league. I don't fault him for that.

I don't have any idea about the Steelers' cap situation next season, but they would be smart to lock him up for a few more years to milk what is left of Ben's career. Once Ben retires their window slams shut.

Bell needs to stop smoking that funny stuff because his crusade is not going to change the economics of the rb position considering the way teams build around the QB and the increasing value of de's and dt's. it's a QB focused game now period. 

19 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Bell needs to stop smoking that funny stuff because his crusade is not going to change the economics of the rb position considering the way teams build around the QB and the increasing value of de's and dt's. it's a QB focused game now period. 

Times are changing now.  The multi purpose back is now the trend of the NFL.

Are you telling me the top receivers should get paid twice as much as Gurley, Bell, DJ and Zeke?

They offer just as much in the receiving game and the offense on a whole.  They also take more punishment and have shorter careers. I have no problem with Bell trying to get what he's worth to this offense.  I think there are only a few backs right now who really deserve that wide receiver money, but Bell for sure is one of them.

40 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

Are you telling me the top receivers should get paid twice as much as Gurley, Bell, DJ and Zeke?

They offer just as much in the receiving game and the offense on a whole.  They also take more punishment and have shorter careers. I have no problem with Bell trying to get what he's worth to this offense.  I think there are only a few backs right now who really deserve that wide receiver money, but Bell for sure is one of them.

The multi purpose back isn't a trend, its always been a staple of the NFL its just a rarity to find a back who can do everything. 

They don't get paid as much for that reason, they are riskier to extend long term money to because they have shorter shelf lives historically compared to a WR. 

Bell deserves to be paid but him discussing this during a SB run is pretty dumb. 

32 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

1 hour ago, devaster said:

Interestingly the steelers only guarantee the 1st year of a contract so not sure what the value of a long term deal is with that organization. Also  reading some articles bell wanted to be paid as the #1 rb and the #2 wr so he is essentially looking to reprice his position the same a jimmy graham tried to reprice the TE pos and be paid a s a wr. So it doesnt appear bell's issue was a long term deal.

Don't settle for less than what you think you deserve or are worth. That's not being a baby, that's being a smart man. Deal with it. Pay him, or someone else will, or he'll retire....actually he won't retire. He's crazy. He won't pass up that $$$.

46 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

yeah times may be changing but evidently the way teams are valuing players seems to be very consistent position wise. So should get is irrelevant if the mkt is unwilling to reprice the position

Just now, tpat30 said:

Don't settle for less than what you think you deserve or are worth. That's not being a baby, that's being a smart man. Deal with it. Pay him, or someone else will, or he'll retire....actually he won't retire. He's crazy. He won't pass up that $$$.

Bingo so it's a useless statement that has zero value at the negotiating table. The steelers know this. Same bet they made last season franchsing him and he sat out preseason. he showed up ready to play start of season and collected his check. So much for making a statement. :lol:

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Zekepeak86 said:

Take 2018 off or retire if he gets tagged again lol. Retire your whiney prick. 

Just a ploy, Von Miller did the same thing