Coach George

Colton Welker - 3B COL

Welker has been getting some talk in other threads.  He's super young and only been in the Pioneer (rookie) League. He seems to have good contact skills and a decent power\speed mix.  It's certainly noteworthy considering he's in the Rockies organization. He's a few years away from potential fantasy relevance, but certainly a good follower.  I think there are some posters out there with more insight and knowledge about Welker than me. I'm definitely curious...

• Like 3

I mean it's still a long ways away, but assuming they have Arenado in 3-4 years, I dont think he's moving off 3rd. So it would be a 1b or OF most likely?

Then there Phil Nevin who is also an up and coming Rockie 3b prospect.

Still though, Welker is interesting, and if he gets some hype over the next year or two, being a Rockie is going to elevate his trade value in your league. 

He was assigned to class A (Asheville). Opening day was today. Played 3B and batted clean up. Went 2-4 with a double and HR. 1 K and 1 BB on the day as well. Looking forward to following him this year.

• Like 2

Starting the season pretty hot and notice him getting mentions in podcasts and articles. I think the Rotowire one yesterday talked about how it wasn't understood how Dalbec was ranked so much higher than Welker.  Dalbec and Welker have the same assignment right now and Welker is 2 years younger, and for fantasy purposes, he's in Colorado. 

Might end up being first base, but could be a 25-30 HR guy with a good average.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Seriously?

Now with more walks than K's. 4BB-3K, slashing .448/.529/1.219. Obvious small sample size (SSS) issues going on here, but you can't complain about anything. Maybe the speed, which I never counted on. 4 SBs, 3 CS.

High five :)

Edited by Light Tower Power
  • Like 1

He has a career minor league strikeout of like 11%. Don't really care about his walk rate. He's not seeing good enough pitches to be patient with.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

He has a career minor league strikeout of like 11%. Don't really care about his walk rate. He's not seeing good enough pitches to be patient with.

100% Brock.. He struck out 28 times in 227 plate appearances last year.. and hit .329.. I don't think you can ask for much more than that..

.448 is just ridiculous.. Like Brock said, he's making so much contact right now, he doesn't need to walk. There's a trio of young guys that are absolutely tearing it up right now in LoA and Welker is one of them (Juan Soto and Carlos Rincon being the others).. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JenksDodger said:

100% Brock.. He struck out 28 times in 227 plate appearances last year.. and hit .329.. I don't think you can ask for much more than that..

.448 is just ridiculous.. Like Brock said, he's making so much contact right now, he doesn't need to walk. There's a trio of young guys that are absolutely tearing it up right now in LoA and Welker is one of them (Juan Soto and Carlos Rincon being the others).. 

Add Ti'Quan Forbes to that list. 

On 4/17/2017 at 11:26 AM, mulhollandvelvet said:

Add Ti'Quan Forbes to that list. 

I think Forbes is a bit different than the other three.. This is Forbes 4th minor league season and he's a full year older than the others (2 years older than Soto).. It's his 2nd go around in LoA ball, so what he's doing doesn't stand out to me like the others, who are just getting their feet wet.  

52 minutes ago, JenksDodger said:

I think Forbes is a bit different than the other three.. This is Forbes 4th minor league season and he's a full year older than the others (2 years older than Soto).. It's his 2nd go around in LoA ball, so what he's doing doesn't stand out to me like the others, who are just getting their feet wet.  

Well sure, I'm not nearly as high on him as the others but I think he's worth mentioning as a guy who is hitting the cover off the ball atm. I think I like Rincon the best of that bunch actually. 

If they kill in Asheville they kill in coors...launching pads

He's very interesting that's for sure. I'd hafta figure that he profiles long term at 1B for as long as Arenado is still a Rockie. I'd be interested to hear where people would see him being selected if a dynasty draft from many of our preseasons were held today with all of the 2016 draftees and international signings available. Would he go ahead of or behind someone like Maitan. I wouldn't ask Senzel cause I think we can all agree that we sorta know what we're getting with him but Maitan is sort of an unknown. Where would Welker slot in with the rest of this offseason's 2016 draftee/international signings in terms of draft slot. 

Alright this is getting ridiculous. The Rockies seem painfully slow at promoting prospects, when they are overdue.. 

Welker is hitting .371, what else does he need to do? Hit .400? 

Been on the DL for about 3 weeks now - no updates anywhere, lower league injury information can be so frustratingly difficult to come by.

2 hours ago, Dark One said:

Been on the DL for about 3 weeks now - no updates anywhere, lower league injury information can be so frustratingly difficult to come by.

Yes it can be very very frustrating. Whew injuries happen below AA, they can disappear and just eventually reappear in the box scores, unless they are very highly rated, like top 5 prospects and hyped. You just have to monitor Twitter (which there's nothing recent on Welker) and setup a Google alert to notify your email of anything related to Colton Welker. 

Yeah, monitoring Twitter is more or less what I typically do, but even the beat writer for the team responded that he had no clue what the injury is. Hopefully nothing major of course.

I've been following purple row sb blog and nothing there or in the comments section since he started missing games.

Annoying indeed. Absolutely nothing out there on what injury he is dealing with.

• Like 1