Coach George

Colton Welker - 3B COL

Nothing so far. I'm assuming he'll be in fall instructional league since the season is basically over...I've been checking Asheville box scores daily hoping to see him in there but Im guessing they decided to shut him down for season without ever mentioning it...sucks, I look forward to seeing him tear up Lancaster next year. He should put up some serious numbers there...

Edited by JakeSarna
  • Like 2

He's back...

I was scared he would be included in the Lucroy deal and they were waiting for the injury to clear before announcing him as the player to be named. Instead they took Pedro Gonzalez, who Longenhagen ranked #4, which was one spot ahead of Welker in the Colorado system.

Edited by Light Tower Power
  • Like 2

I think in deeper mixed or NL Only dynasties, he can be had at a discount right now. I see a lot of lists that dont have him in the top 100. I get that for maybe real life, but he's a top 75 fantasy prospect for me rather easily. 

• Like 1

Welker (groin) has been activated from the 7-day DL with Low-A Asheville.

Analysis: Even though he missed over two months with a groin injury, this season can still be considered a major success for Welker. He was one of the best hitters in the South Atlantic League as a 19-year-old, showing he could hit for average and power while striking out at just a 15.1 percent clip. Welker has one of the best hit tools in the minors. The number one thing he has to work on is his defense at third base.

I dont see him listed as a top 100 prospect on any of cbs, mlb.com, baseball america, espn's lists so far. Any obvious reason for this that I am missing? I was expecting him to be in the 25-50 rangeon every list. 

Edited by dsd10988

38 minutes ago, dsd10988 said:

I dont see him listed as a top 100 prospect on any of cbs, mlb.com, baseball america, espn's lists so far. Any obvious reason for this that I am missing? I was expecting him to be in the 25-50 rangeon every list. 

I wouldn't worry about it. His 2nd half injury that caused him to miss 2-months makes people forget how well he was hitting before the injury. Then a brief adjustment phase from returning from injury in August brought down his overall numbers. Just okay defense at 3B and not sure if he will stick or move across the diamond to 1B.

If this was a fantasy list, you would be correct, top 50 fantasy prospect. Plus hit tool in Coors (drool).

Edited by Light Tower Power
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, dsd10988 said:

Mostly because he’s an average defender who might have to come off third eventually and he was injured for most of last season. That and guys around 50-150 are pretty interchangeable.

hes a much better fantasy than real life prospect. I would think he would make all Fantasy top 100s.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a lot to like:

-great physical frame
-strong hit tool

-Coors Field

I was trying to come up with a player comparison yesterday... I arrived at:

Matt Holliday | Andre Galarraga | Mike Sweeney |

or Hunter Renfroe with better contact/discipline.

But those didn't feel quite right. 

And then, after watching Welker's swing one more time, the comparison hit me like a ton of bricks: 

Frank Thomas. 

It's super lofty comparison, and it might be unfair and/or crazy. But I think that's the kind of contact/power potential we are dealing with here. 

10 minutes ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

There is a lot to like:

-great physical frame
-strong hit tool

-Coors Field

I was trying to come up with a player comparison yesterday... I arrived at:

Matt Holliday | Andre Galarraga | Mike Sweeney |

or Hunter Renfroe with better contact/discipline.

But those didn't feel quite right. 

And then, after watching Welker's swing one more time, the comparison hit me like a ton of bricks: 

Frank Thomas. 

It's super lofty comparison, and it might be unfair and/or crazy. But I think that's the kind of contact/power potential we are dealing with here. 

Thomas had elite plate disciple and walk rates while Welker has a pretty poor walk rate and thats only at very low levels of minors. Also, I haven't seen any scouts rate his power at that kind of level. He seems like more of a 20-25 HR guy based on his ISO, etc. thus far. 

I like his skill set quite a bit though and think he's a pretty safe hitting prospect to become an every day big leaguer and put up solid stats especially given that he will likely be playing at coors. 

2 hours ago, Letitbe793 said:

Thomas had elite plate disciple and walk rates while Welker has a pretty poor walk rate and thats only at very low levels of minors. Also, I haven't seen any scouts rate his power at that kind of level. He seems like more of a 20-25 HR guy based on his ISO, etc. thus far. 

I like his skill set quite a bit though and think he's a pretty safe hitting prospect to become an every day big leaguer and put up solid stats especially given that he will likely be playing at coors. 

Frank Thomas!?  that's insane.  must have written that amidst my bath salts bender. 

also: meant Andrenot Andre

really though, there isn't much footage on Welker. So those comps were based on very limited info. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

2 hours ago, Letitbe793 said:

He seems like more of a 20-25 HR guy based on his ISO, etc. thus far. 

For what it's worth, bp article this week used the phrase "premium power" on welker

Yeah, Razzball had him at 30HR power if everything maxes out on the Rockies podcast featuring one of the guys from prospects1500.com

26 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Yeah, Razzball had him at 30HR power if everything maxes out on the Rockies podcast featuring one of the guys from prospects1500.com

I listened to that too. Early on everyone said Welker could flat out hit and he said only backed that up since. If multiple people say he can flat out hit early on, I’m in on that type of guy... and he might be in coors???? I think a year ago people didn’t want Welker as much because they see Arenado has a roadblock.  People who hit will find a way to hit. Hopefully it’s for the Rockies, but he’ll have value elsewhere too.

• Like 1

James Anderson at Rotowire said last summer that scouts told him Welker could literally hold his own in the majors right now (told him that just before the injury).  But, his defense isn’t that good, and there’s no need to rush him. 

He might post Brendan Rodgers numbers in Lancaster this year - with potentially more power. They’ll find a place for a bat like his, or he’ll be a tremendous trade chip. 

@brockpapersizer is right though - fantasy wise this kid should be top-100 everywhere and likely top-50. 

• Like 1

Every time I see his black and white photo in my BA prospect guide, I think of Barney Fife. 

Edited by Halo Fan

He is laying waste to A+. 

8 for 12 with 5 walks. 1 strikeout and 2 homers. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

Any chance he gets called up this year?

He’s at least 2 years away

Also where will he play?  Arenado ain't going nowhere.  Unlike Rodgers who could have a path to the MI in Colorado, is this guy a trade asset and how much value does he lose if he's not playing half his games at Coors?

If his hit tool, power and pitch recognition sustains as he ascends towards the upper minors (while avoiding injury-which he couldn't do a season ago), they will make it a point to find a spot in the lineup to slot him in.  A move across the diamond (assuming McMahon isn't still with the club) or into the OF isn't hard to imagine.  Roster dynamics could change dramatically within a 2 year projection, so its early to speculate position based on todays roster, but if Colton continues to pound the the baseball, he will certainly be playing somewhere.   

If he continues doing what he's doing they will find a place for him to play in Colorado. 

The plate approach is something that his coaches have always raved about. The pitch recognition is one thing you can't really "teach" and it seems like he's got it down to this point.. I had him in the top-100 pre-season and kind of second guessed myself as I didn't see him hardly anywhere else. Of course he's only 4 games into the season, but damn.. 5BB and 1K and a .722 OBP lol

One thing of note - he's playing in the best hitting environment in maybe all of baseball right now. I've heard analysts say they completely disregard any stats that come out of Lancaster.