JenksDodger

Kyle Tucker, OF HOU

Posted (edited)

not saying that tucker won't come up soon, or that he shouldn't.... but if i'm the houston front office, what kind of production increase should i expect?

tucker's last 20 games: .222/.309/.481, 11.7 BB%, 18.1 K%, 5 HR, 2 SB

his BABIP is pretty low at .213, and his overall stat line for the season is quite a bit better, which suggests things just haven't been falling right for him. derek fisher on the other hand, over a tiny sample size of six games after coming off the DL, has been raking with OPS of 1.310 in AAA.

i'm nitpicking at this point and scouting the stat lines, but the real question is whether houston is content to try and hold tucker out until april of next season. do they feel the other guys (kemp, fisher, davis) can provide adequate relief to hold them over during injury stints and justify not calling up tucker. obviously with prospects you can't just go off of stats, but those other three players have produced much better results at the same level as tucker. hard to view him as a better right now replacement.

Edited by osb_tensor

12 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

not saying that tucker won't come up soon, or that he shouldn't.... but if i'm the houston front office, what kind of production increase should i expect?

tucker's last 20 games: .222/.309/.481, 11.7 BB%, 18.1 K%, 5 HR, 2 SB

his BABIP is pretty low at .213, and his overall stat line for the season is quite a bit better, which suggests things just haven't been falling right for him. derek fisher on the other hand, over a tiny sample size of six games after coming off the DL, has been raking with OPS of 1.310 in AAA.

i'm nitpicking at this point and scouting the stat lines, but the real question is whether houston is content to try and hold tucker out until april of next season. do they feel the other guys (kemp, fisher, davis) can provide adequate relief to hold them over during injury stints and justify not calling up tucker. obviously with prospects you can't just go off of stats, but those other three players have produced much better results at the same level as tucker. hard to view him as a better right now replacement.

Not nitpicking imo but legitimate current issues with Tucker. I personally think he gets the call this year (very possibly September) but I don't get the clamour here for a player who is only in his first year of Triple A and has not been super impressive as of yet. Not everyone is Soto. Most prospects need to go through and overcome some kind of "struggle". Having said this I bet when he comes up he does pretty well. 

There have I covered my a** on all scenarios and outcomes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

Not nitpicking imo but legitimate current issues with Tucker. I personally think he gets the call this year (very possibly September) but I don't get the clamour here for a player who is only in his first year of Triple A and has not been super impressive as of yet. Not everyone is Soto. Most prospects need to go through and overcome some kind of "struggle". Having said this I bet when he comes up he does pretty well. 

There have I covered my a** on all scenarios and outcomes?

I'm still holding out hope they call him up shortly after Super 2 so he can get his adjustment out of the way and hopefully be firing on all cylinders for the post season run.  Otherwise maybe he just comes up in Sept and is kept down in AAA next year however many days they need to get an extra year of control, e.g. late-April/May 2019.  

He's most certainly not forcing their hand at the moment.

• Like 1

Im going to hold onto him until Super 2. If he isn’t called up then, most likely wont get called up at all..

• Like 1

I have a feeling the only way Tucker is recalled is an injury to Springer or Kemp.  That could happen tonight or not this season.

5 hours ago, B&F said:

I have a feeling the only way Tucker is recalled is an injury to Springer or Kemp.  That could happen tonight or not this season.

I feel like Tucker will prove to be a better option than Kemp as the year goes on. Kemp has one homer for the year, seems light for an OF on a team with championship aspirations. Maybe he's a better hitter than Tucker right now, but I'm high enough on Tucker to think that will prove otherwise soon enough. Anything is possible though.

Triple short of the cycle yesterday.

• Like 1

Look at Meadows...His numbers weren't great in the minors but the bright lights of the show certainly seemed to make something click...Why not Tucker too? Left field isn't exactly a strength in Houston so why not give him a shot in a few weeks...

1 hour ago, Zombies said:

Look at Meadows...His numbers weren't great in the minors but the bright lights of the show certainly seemed to make something click...Why not Tucker too? Left field isn't exactly a strength in Houston so why not give him a shot in a few weeks...

Because....reasons! Nothing MLB clubs usually make sense to us simple minded fans. 

Gave up on Kopech for this year at least...Last prospect im holding is Tucker. Hopefully soon

• Like 1

Listening to the Astro's president on the radio, it doesn't sound like Tucker will be up anytime soon.  He's not going to be traded and when he's up, he's not riding the bench.  

• Like 1

It is going to take an injury to Springer or Altuve for him to be recalled.  If Altuve is injured Kemp can move to second.  Of course it could happen.

Other than that I don't see anything more than a September recall.

Did the hype callup train peak too early here?  Because it looks like he might be mashing his way to the big leagues real soon.  Fairly quiet here in comparison to the start of the year but now he's earning it.

Of course this is just my opinion and could find nothing online to support it.

Nobody is getting in his way. Hou could use a lefty hitter in the middle of that lineup too. He was ready in ST, but he is even more proven now. He's gotta be the next impact dude up??!

3 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

Did the hype callup train peak too early here?  Because it looks like he might be mashing his way to the big leagues real soon.  Fairly quiet here in comparison to the start of the year but now he's earning it.

Of course this is just my opinion and could find nothing online to support it.

There was a big argument as to whether he'd get called up early in the year or after super 2. There isn't much discussion going on lately because it's clear he didn't come up early in the season but instead is going to be around the super 2. 

There just isn't much to discuss. We might have disagreed over when he was getting called up, but we all love his potential and are big fans. Batting average now over 300. 30:62 walk to strikeout ratio. 10 homers along with 12 steals. He's gotta be close. Then again Tony Kemp is hitting over 300 and Marwin is showing signs of life. Those guys shouldn't be obstacles, but it's not a complete disaster in LF like it was to start the year so Houston might not feel *quite* as much urgency as they otherwise would. Let's just hope Tucker gets lots of playing time when he gets the call and that he does something with it.

On another note, when I was searching google for news and updates, I saw that 'Kyle Tucker' had been arrested for homicide. I quickly realized it's obviously a different Kyle Tucker, but good lord my heart stopped for a moment when I saw those headlines.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

On another note, when I was searching google for news and updates, I saw that 'Kyle Tucker' had been arrested for homicide. I quickly realized it's obviously a different Kyle Tucker, but good lord my heart stopped for a moment when I saw those headlines.

Nope, same guy. Killing it at AAA 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, neverrelaxed said:

For what it's worth, quote from an article posted last night:

Kyle Tucker, OF, Astros: When I asked an Astros insider when Tucker will be called up, they simply texted back, “Very soon.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/ny-sports-fantasy-baseball-starters-20180622-story.html

Define very soon: 2 or 3 weeks?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, mannymachado said:

Define very soon: 2 or 3 weeks?

Same question.  Also what's the hold up in Houston not promoting him already?  Does management want to see the sample size of Triple-A success continue?  Or are there aspects of his game which need to improve?

It's not as if Tucker has stiff competition to overcome to get a starting job in their Outfield.

Edited by Magnus88

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Magnus88 said:

Same question.  Also what's the hold up in Houston not promoting him already?  Does management want to see the sample size of Triple-A success continue?  Or are there aspects of his game which need to improve?

It's not as if Tucker has stiff competition to overcome to get a starting job in their Outfield.

He simply did not do enough to warrant a promotion until now.  That's no slight on him as he is a young hitter getting his first taste of Triple A.  The numbers were ok but nothing that screamed promotion during the first 40 games or so.   However, now his numbers are saying his time is now.  

I think the Astros have played this 100% right (assuming the call up happens soon) as he has now truly earned it...

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 5

Completely agree with the above post. In addition, folks have to keep in mind that the Astros have been under absolutely no pressure to force a call up here and add Tucker to the 40 man roster as they have been among the top teams in the majors all season (currently tied with Boston for the most wins in MLB with 51). Let Tucker get comfortable and on a solid roll before considering it (which he certainly has been lately save for not hitting many HR's). While it doesn't matter much to the casual (and certainly fantasy) fan, playing around with the 40 man roster is a big deal to clubs in the middle of the season.

Hopefully the long wait will be over soon.

That sounds great, until you remember that Summer ends on September 22nd.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, osb_tensor said:

I will say this.  GMs are always conservative about when a player will be recalled.  

All it takes is one injury to one major bat for him to be recalled.  If any of Bregman, Altuve, Springer, Correa are injured he likely will be recalled.  It does not matter that he does not play most of those positions.  They will need another impact bat in that lineup.