taobball

Overall Top 250 Rankings w/ Projections/Blurbs/Profiles/etc.

@taobball won't lie, I'd pay you some money to see your 2018 stuff. If you made exactly like 2017, I'd probably give you $3-$5. And that's for basically a Word file. If you make it like... a more "legit" presentation, I'd pay more. You're insights, ideas, and thoughts really helped me with my 2017 season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

@taobball won't lie, I'd pay you some money to see your 2018 stuff. If you made exactly like 2017, I'd probably give you $3-$5. And that's for basically a Word file. If you make it like... a more "legit" presentation, I'd pay more. You're insights, ideas, and thoughts really helped me with my 2017 season.

A large portion of it is like I said in regards to just time management for this project. If I had started in October and had all my research done at this point and could spend a significant amount of time figuring out how exactly I wanted to make that step, I might still be considering it. But the fact of the matter is that there's just a ton of work for me to do baseball-wise in order to make this happen in a timely fashion, and I'm just not gonna spend time on top of that trying to figure out how I want to do that. Because, IMO, the worst thing I could possibly do is monetize it the wrong way, and just reduce the audience without giving myself anything to build off of moving forward.

IDEALLY, and this was the plan for last year but school got me side tracked, I'll be able to make multiple column-esque writings and a Midseason full rerank of the same depth and be able to offer what would amount to a yearly sub for material. But I need to figure out how that would work so I'm just going to focus on making content like that this year and then figuring out if I want to make that step next year after producing a full years worth of material. 

But thanks for the input. Definitely appreciate it. 

--

ALSO, meant to briefly mention this above, but for the preseason ranks I will give semi-regular updates about my research progress, probably after about every 100 players or so I've researched/outlined/began to profile. So ya'll should have a better and better idea of when this will be completed. 

• Like 1

Excellent taobball!

Any chance you'll go deeper than 250 players?  Perhaps 300 or even 400 (I only play in Deep leagues).

17 minutes ago, jb_power said:

Excellent taobball!

Any chance you'll go deeper than 250 players?  Perhaps 300 or even 400 (I only play in Deep leagues).

The goal is 300 for this year and due to the fact that in order to create a top 300 I'll obviously have to evaluate more than 300 there probably will at the very least be a bit more of a raw "Outtakes" section for players not listed but who I did digging on. I may or may not so "write ups" for them persay but turning notes into "Player Facts" is super easy. 

Also and perhaps more importantly to everyone reading:

if you have player suggestions particularly for fringe players you think may escape my radar, feel free to post them. If you post them there's a very high likelihood I'll put some degree of time into them.

among other sources, just on this forum I'll be keeping an eye on the latter rounds of the mocks and the emerging player threads for potentials. 

Thanks for sharing! This will be a nice aid before I start draft preps. 

A couple surprises:

BIG love for schwarber (top 40)

BIG hate for Robbie ray (after 240)

Thanks again!

Edited by 2ndCitySox
See next post. I am idjiot.

5 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

A couple surprises:

Thanks again!

Hi I'm dumb and thought this was for 2018. I need to look again and see how you did with your projections from last year 

20 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

A couple surprises:

Thanks again!

14 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Hi I'm dumb and thought this was for 2018. I need to look again and see how you did with your projections from last year 

Lol I did think it was curious when you liked the first post. 

And to defend the Robbie Ray, I feel comfortable with that failure more than many considering how much I lobbied for him to add a curve to improve the Arsenal, which is largely if not completely the reason for his turnaround. 

@taobball, here's a good start for some names to focus on for your rankings. These are not guys I own in leagues, a few of them sure, but honestly just interesting players to discuss and get a take on.

Solve the Blackmon vs Betts debate

Catchers: Lucroy, Zunino

1b: Hoskins, Bird, Miggy, Smoak, Morrison, Mancini

2b: Chris Taylor, Merrifield, Odor,  Villar

SS Lindor, Dejong, Boegarts, Swanson

3b: Bregman, Devers, Gallo

OF Judge, Marte, BUXTON!!!, Pham, Schwarber, Polanco

SP: Wood, Ray, Lester, Cueto, Bundy, Bauer, Salazar, Castillo, David Price, Chase Anderson

RP Giles, Melancon

• Like 2

Set up a link with venmo, PayPal, etc accepting donations. You'll still be free but people can give money if they see fit. A reasonable stepping stone to your goals. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

@taobball, here's a good start for some names to focus on for your rankings. These are not guys I own in leagues, a few of them sure, but honestly just interesting players to discuss and get a take on.

SP: Wood, Ray, Lester, Cueto, Bundy, Bauer, Salazar, Castillo, David Price, Chase Anderson

RP Giles, Melancon

I REALLY love Betts, but I'm in the early stages, and there's a fairly strong chance Charlie doesn't go lower than 4th in my Rankings. Don't be surprised if it's Trout, Altuve, Blackmon. 

39 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Set up a link with venmo, PayPal, etc accepting donations. You'll still be free but people can give money if they see fit. A reasonable stepping stone to your goals. 

I've considered doing that and probably will link a paypal acct. But nothing concrete. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, taobball said:

I REALLY love Betts, but I'm in the early stages, and there's a fairly strong chance Charlie doesn't go lower than 4th in my Rankings. Don't be surprised if it's Trout, Altuve, Blackmon. 

No spoilers! I think either position is fine to have. I think the steals will make Betts more valuable personally, but I don't have much issue with people ranking Blackmon over him for 2018.  It was just an interesting debate that some of us were having in the first round pick thread.  Another good one could be Stanton vs Judge. 

12 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

RP Giles, Melancon

i dont even know how blackmon and betts is an argument in a redraft

Edited by jfazz23

On 12/5/2017 at 6:22 PM, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

We can start him a GoFundMe

anyone else more excited for Tao's 250 for 2018 than they are for Christmas??

• Like 5

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Congrats!!  You really deserved it.

This is great - congratulations on the bachelors and the position. Wow, do you deserve it.  I also have been remiss in thanking you for your awesome contributions.  I had my best draft ever basing it on your recommendations (minus Lamb And maybe another) and took first. Thank you good sir for your fantastic analysis - I will click away on the bait on your new home site!

15 minutes ago, Wilford Brimley said:

I had my best draft ever basing it on your recommendations (minus Lamb And maybe another) and took first. 

Jake Lamb went 30-100, or are you saying that one was you?

31 minutes ago, Wilford Brimley said:

This is great - congratulations on the bachelors and the position. Wow, do you deserve it.  I also have been remiss in thanking you for your awesome contributions.  I had my best draft ever basing it on your recommendations (minus Lamb And maybe another) and took first. Thank you good sir for your fantastic analysis - I will click away on the bait on your new home site!

15 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Jake Lamb went 30-100, or are you saying that one was you?

I don't even think I was that high/low on Lamb but rather pretty close to the consensus. And I still have similar feelings to him this year. The splits are really really bad. He's proven he can be a good fantasy hitter despite the splits, but he's going to lose PAs against lefties... maybe all of them... soon. 

'16: .164/.279/.345 w/ a 27.9% K%

'17: .144/.269/.288 w/ a 34.6% K%

Honestly there's a very strong argument being made just in those two lines that the man should not be starting EVER against lefties. MAYBE they give him one more year but he's been just really really awful. 

4 minutes ago, taobball said:

I don't even think I was that high/low on Lamb but rather pretty close to the consensus. And I still have similar feelings to him this year. The splits are really really bad. He's proven he can be a good fantasy hitter despite the splits, but he's going to lose PAs against lefties... maybe all of them... soon. 

'16: .164/.279/.345 w/ a 27.9% K%

'17: .144/.269/.288 w/ a 34.6% K%

Honestly there's a very strong argument being made just in those two lines that the man should not be starting EVER against lefties. MAYBE they give him one more year but he's been just really really awful. 

Sure, but even with that he had a pretty solid year. If you're in a daily league and took him out vs lefties, you did even better. 

1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:

Sure, but even with that he had a pretty solid year. If you're in a daily league and took him out vs lefties, you did even better. 

Absolutely. He's definitely a player that will have a very different value in daily v. weekly. If he were a righty with these kind of splits he'd be unrosterable but if he's dominating against 2/3 of the hitters that helps a lot.

BUT

In terms of an overall evaluation, he still got 156 PAs, 5 HRs, 14 Rs, 19 RBIs, and 2 SBs against lefties. And those counting stats definitely help his line out a lot. If he's only getting 450 PAs next year he may be the highest rated player with 450 PAs but that will still produce a polarizing evaluation. 

I think if you told me they stick with him for all the games next year he'd be a much higher pick, but as an overall player he's going to take a big knock if he's playing 450 against most other players 600-700. 

8 hours ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

I think Tao could put his Jose Ramirez his resume. He was ahead of literally the entire industry on that breakout.

He sure was and I've got him for 2 more years, this year at a steal of $9.

12 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

He sure was and I've got him for 2 more years, this year at a steal of $9.

More of a steal than trading him for Vincent Velazquez straight up in dynasty?

Such a good value last year