Dislimb

2017 Auction Strategies, Values, etc.

159 posts in this topic

There is always so much great information on this site and plenty of knowledgeable folks who do rankings, yet auction drafts seem to get very little love here compared to their reptilian cousins. I started doing auction drafts for baseball about five years ago and it's now the only way for me. I am fine doing snake drafts for all other sports, but for baseball an auction draft just seems more "pure" to me for lack of a better term.

Anyway, I figured I'd get a thread going for those of us who do auction drafts to share strategies, thoughts on players who have bargain price tags this year, players who are too expensive, etc.

4 people like this

I'm firmly in the auction only camp. You have a shot at every player. I usually run my own values for the top 200 (anyone over $1). My favorite tactic is to nominate a hyped top prospect at my first opportunity and let the youth hounds spend over estimates. Byron Buxton, Moncada, and Benintendi are my some I'll be looking at around draft time (depending on ST) to get the prospect inflation going. Know your league favorites if you can and be prepared to take as much money out of you opponents as possible.

3 people like this

I know this is fairly obvious, but try and nominate positions you already have covered(whether keepers or already bought at current auction). Don't try and get cute and just bid to bid up players unless you are 100% certain there will be other bids.. You can get burned and it could ruin your whole strategy and budget. Make note of those teams you beat out on a player for trades down the road.

2 people like this

I am an auction only guy as well.  What kind of batter/pitcher split to you usually use?  I am usually $170/$90, or 65%/35%.  

As for strategy this year.  I think I'm going to go aggressively after duel threat guys in the MI and OF and take some fliers on cheap power bats at 1B, 3B and OF.  I also allocate about $35 to relievers, as ours never go as cheep at they do on mocks and I want at least 3, preferably 4 or 5. 

17 minutes ago, vthunder said:

What kind of batter/pitcher split to you usually use?

Mine has varied from season to season in general. My home league runs SV+HDs (a huge improvement imo) so I'm lower on the pitching side as I never spend on the top closers. Something like $185/$75 maybe bump pitching up 5-10 in a straight saves league but no more for my tastes. 

1 person likes this

If you have or three guys in a tier left in a position, you better believe the cheapest one will be the one who is first nominated.  Say you're down to Cabrera, Freeman, Rizzo at 1b and then there's a drop off.  People will back off the one first nominated with the hope of getting one of the other 2.  That will end up driving up the price of the last 2 of the group nominated

2 people like this

48 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

That will end up driving up the price of the last 2 of the group nominated

If you're targeting someone don't let him be the last nominee in a tier. A strong tendency in most leagues for managers to inflate prices to get a player or risk being left out of the tier at a position they want. It doesn't matter whether positional scarcity is real or not as long as a few of your fellow managers believe it. 

4 people like this

2 hours ago, duke of queens said:

I know this is fairly obvious, but try and nominate positions you already have covered

In my league we cannot bid on a position that we already have covered. Not sure if others are similar. 

28 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

In my league we cannot bid on a position that we already have covered. Not sure if others are similar. 

Even if you have an empty UTIL slot?

1 hour ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Yes but cant you at least nominate them.

4 hours ago, Dislimb said:

There is always so much great information on this site and plenty of knowledgeable folks who do rankings, yet auction drafts seem to get very little love here compared to their reptilian cousins. I started doing auction drafts for baseball about five years ago and it's now the only way for me. I am fine doing snake drafts for all other sports, but for baseball an auction draft just seems more "pure" to me for lack of a better term.

Anyway, I figured I'd get a thread going for those of us who do auction drafts to share strategies, thoughts on players who have bargain price tags this year, players who are too expensive, etc.

I think values are tough because they can really take into account so much:  Number of teams, are there keepers and if so how many?, Is it Mixed or an "only"...how big are the rosters?  

I think for the most part, most "projections" and auction values you see often are way low on the stars and maybe a little high on some of the mid tier guys.  If you have a question about a player, I think there is enough auction experience on here, that you say number of teams, settings etc and people can probably predict pretty good how much they will go for.  

* We have no bench, but if you cannot take a player on your roster because position and util are filled, you cant bid on or call out that player for bid and if you have similar rules about being locked out of bidding, I usually like to keep my DH slot open for that reason, at least through 1/2 to 3/4way through the auction. 

* Dont call out who you want, call the guys you dont want, call the positions you have filled OR call the expensive guys from postions you dont intend to invest big into.  

* Unless, its a high priced guy who could be volatile in his pricing, maybe like a Harper this year, if people are paying MVP mancrush prices and he was your plan A and plans B,C, D, E are off the board because you were waiting for Harper, kind of stinks.  Been there and learned that one from experience, if its a guy you think you have a good read on, then let it go. 

* Take notes in auction, who bids on who, who is bidding high on the guys they want.  This is important, its kind of like a poker game, need to understand your opponents a little on this front. 

* Dont get into posiiton where you are $1 per player too early, keep a it to where you have 2-3 bucks to protect your dollar guys, nothing worse than your sleepers getting called for $1 and you can do nothing about it.  

* Watch your tiers - if planning to get a guy not below a certain tier, dont get it to where there is only 1 guy left and you have to drastically overpay.  

* sometimes the best plan is to just sit back and take advantage of the values.  

3 people like this

2 minutes ago, parrothead said:

* Take notes in auction, who bids on who, who is bidding high on the guys they want.  This is important, its kind of like a poker game, need to understand your opponents a little on this front. 

This especially. Been in auctions where people go for players on a certain team (Cubs/Red Sox/Indians to name a few) and I always nominate those players  just to get them out of the way and make them spend their money. Be observant, you will notice patterns.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Dislimb said:

Even if you have an empty UTIL slot?

No utl pos in that league. 

1 person likes this

I pretty much only play the Yahoo Pro Leagues (they added a $500 tier this year which is awesome) since none of my IRL friends give a damn about baseball. I never have a problem getting half a dozen local, high buy in football leagues running, but I can't get a baseball league going to save my life, even for smaller stakes.

I'd like to compile a list of auction values based on a Yahoo standard 12 team 5x5 roto pro mixed league. But you guys are right, it's tricky to put an exact price tag on guys since you don't know how much over or under projected budget you'll be at any given point in the auction. It's truly a game of chess and I love it.

I'll start out by asking how much my fellow auction drafters would pay for Mike Trout this year. Assume a 12 team 5x5 roto mixed redraft league with 3 OF spots and 2 UTIL. $260 budget, of course.

43 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Yes but cant you at least nominate them.

Nominating a player is essentially bidding. What if no one bids after I nominate?

I wish I could nominate in that fashion to get others to spend on players I don't need. 

A player I have noticed that seems to be too high in auction dollars so far (probably ADP too) is Trea Turner. I want to love Trea but even 73 glorious games in 2016 seems like an awfully small sample to spend $37-$40 on. 

6 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Nominating a player is essentially bidding. What if no one bids after I nominate?

Don't get shoehorned here. Find a player you like and start the bidding closer to the max projected value of that player. For instance, you are late in on 2nd basemen and the top 10 are gone. Logan Forsythe is a $8 value to you/projected. You start the bidding at $5. Dare them to spend more or allow you to save $3 on a needed position. You can always bid up to his value (or higher) if you want. 

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, Chaco Chicken said:

Don't get shoehorned here. Find a player you like and start the bidding closer to the max projected value of that player. For instance, you are late in on 2nd basemen and the top 10 are gone. Logan Forsythe is a $8 value to you/projected. You start the bidding at $5. Dare them to spend more or allow you to save $3 on a needed position. You can always bid up to his value (or higher) if you want. 

I hear you there. On the flip, If I want the player I don't like bidding more than I have to. I've been surprised at times when no one bids higher and I save $5 instead of saving $3 in the scenario you noted above. If it's someone I don't mind having but don't "really" want I sometimes try that strategy to get others to spend more. 

4 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

I spend all my money on Kershaw and Trout

light a cigar and watch the rest of draft

I think people wait too long.  You have too many teams "saving money" and it creates overbidding at the end.  Stars & scrubs isn't a bad way to go

3 people like this

Just now, kidtwentytwo said:

I think people wait too long.  You have too many teams "saving money" and it creates overbidding at the end.  Stars & scrubs isn't a bad way to go

I wasn't kidding....its usually a 30-40 dollar cigar

3 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

I think people wait too long.  You have too many teams "saving money" and it creates overbidding at the end.

I have never experienced this. I'm not denying it doesn't happen. I run about 3 or so leagues every year plus my local league and virtually everyone is an aggressive bidder. I'm the notorious sandbagger so I scoop up a lot of the late value by using my remaining budget as a club. I'm still in on the serious bidding but have always had about $10 or $15 more than the next closest team. 

57 minutes ago, sneer said:

This especially. Been in auctions where people go for players on a certain team (Cubs/Red Sox/Indians to name a few) and I always nominate those players  just to get them out of the way and make them spend their money. Be observant, you will notice patterns.

another good point, know your "local" team inflation or just homer inflation for some guys. 

7 minutes ago, Chaco Chicken said:

I have never experienced this. I'm not denying it doesn't happen. I run about 3 or so leagues every year plus my local league and virtually everyone is an aggressive bidder. I'm the notorious sandbagger so I scoop up a lot of the late value by using my remaining budget as a club. I'm still in on the serious bidding but have always had about $10 or $15 more than the next closest team. 

I'm in some large auction leagues...like 16-20 teams.  I always see owners sitting on money then getting into bidding wars over the last few guys or even guys like Dustin Pedroia.  I guess it goes back to the last few guys in the tier thing.  I would guess that in a local league, especially if it is live, you aren't going to see this as much.  Live actions move slow and are a grind and people tend to get down to business.  I also usually see people leave money on the table which I think is a mistake unless you have a keeper rule and you're killing it with value keepers. 

11 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

I also usually see people leave money on the table

When you love some you've got to show them with $$$, go the extra dollar or two on your targets. 

3 people like this