Sign in to follow this  
Dark One

Tough decision on my last keeper

16 team keep 6 with Hits and OPS added in to the usual categories for hitters (Runs/Hits/HR/RBI/SB/Avg/OPS) and QS added for starting pitchers (Wins/K's/ERA/WHIP/QS).

I'm having a real tough time deciding on my final keeper. I'm already keeping Bryant, Harper, Miguel Cabrera, Villar and Gary Sanchez and am choosing from the following for my final keeper:

Gregory Polanco, Alex Bregman, Nomar Mazara, Jake Arrieta or Jacob deGrom.

Polanco has 5 cat potential but struggled mightily after a hot start last year, Bregman remains unproven but looks ready to breakout as soon as this season, Mazara probably has the highest long term ceiling but may not quite be ready to breakout yet, Arrieta seems safe on the surface but has some underlying issues that are a cause for concern and deGrom had some elbow issues but seems ok for Spring Training.

It's tough to not at least keep 1 SP in a 16 team league (I have the 10th overall pick so it's doubtful Arrieta or deGrom will be available), but at the same time Polanco/Bregman/Mazara may be much better long term keepers.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance and will help in return.

Make a trade for someone you trust then? Package those you don't keep (Arrieta/deGrom/Polanco), and get a better keep.

If you don't succeed with that, I would go with Arrieta.

• Like 1

Go with either Polanco, Bregman, or Mazara. It depends which player you like the most. 

Edited by Rush2112

Really like all, but think you gotta go SP. I'd lean toward Arrieta. Your team is built to compete now. Keeping a Mazzara type just doesn't make sense. 

Can you make a deal? In a 16 team league, I can't imagine Polonco/deGrom/Bregman couldn't fetch some solid value. 

Also, if it's a one C league, I'd consider not keeping Sanchez. Bryant, Harper, Miggy, Villar is a great jump on offense in a deep league. Keeping Arrieta & deGrom and having 2 top 15 SP also would be huge. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the input everyone. For those that asked, no deals are allowed until after the draft. Any names that don't get kept immediately become draft eligible.

It is a one catcher league, but in a 16 team league the top catchers definitely come at a premium. I did consider the Arrieta/deGrom angle though, but probably not leaning towards it.

In terms of who I like the most among Polanco/Bregman/Mazara, it's extremely difficult to choose. All 3 have great 2017 and beyond potential. Braynt and Villar's solid positional flexibility takes away an obvious answer as well. If I thought for sure Mazara would break out this season, I'd keep him, but he would seem to be the riskiest of the three for 2017.

I know being a 16 team league the catcher position can get weak pretty quickly, but I wouldn't keep Sanchez personally.  That is my style though as I typically don't value the C position that highly.  With that being said, I would keep Polanco and deGrom and drop Sanchez.  deGrom and Arrieta are pretty much the same so I would rather have the younger pitcher.  If you are absolutely keeping Sanchez then I would probably keep deGrom.  I like Polanco more, but with you having a pretty good base for an offense, I would lean towards the pitcher.  As it has been mentioned before though, I would think you could make some kind of deal with all those keeper worthy players in a 16 team league.  

Edited by kansasjayhawks05
  • Like 1

6 keepers is not enough to keep gary sanchez.  This is 100% pure pre-season hype.  Drop him from your keeper list and add Polanco and Arrieta.  I'd keep him over DeGrom just because of DeGrom's injuries.

• Like 1

Thanks for the excellent food for thought kansas. I do expect regression from Sanchez of course since his 2016 pace is unsustainable, but the tough question is how much regression. If he's good for about 70-75% of his pace from last year, he'll still be gold at the position. I generally don't keep catchers as well and wish Sanchez had a longer track record, but given the league size I feel it's worth taking the risk.

Man, I wish I could make a deal since I have more keeper worthy players than eligible keeper slots, but unfortunately no deals are allowed until after the draft.

2 minutes ago, Khahan said:

6 keepers is not enough to keep gary sanchez.  This is 100% pure pre-season hype. 

I certainly appreciate the input, and I do agree the hype on him has skyrocketed, but I disagree he's all hype. He has provable upside in a great ballpark for offense at a very difficult position to receive sustained production from. It's certainly possible that either Polanco or Arrieta (or both) will end up being better keepers, but if Sanchez can produce regularly, it's a great advantage to have given the league size.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dark One said:

Thanks for the excellent food for thought kansas. I do expect regression from Sanchez of course since his 2016 pace is unsustainable, but the tough question is how much regression. If he's good for about 70-75% of his pace from last year, he'll still be gold at the position. I generally don't keep catchers as well and wish Sanchez had a longer track record, but given the league size I feel it's worth taking the risk.

Man, I wish I could make a deal since I have more keeper worthy players than eligible keeper slots, but unfortunately no deals are allowed until after the draft.

No problem.  The beauty of fantasy baseball is there is more than one way to win.  If you want to keep Sanchez, keep him...certainly nothing wrong with it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kansasjayhawks05 said:

No problem.  The beauty of fantasy baseball is there is more than one way to win.  If you want to keep Sanchez, keep him...certainly nothing wrong with it.  

Absolutely, and I guess I have pretty much already made up my mind on Sanchez, I was more or less trying to get a consensus on the best keeper from Polanco/Bregman/Mazara/Arrieta/deGrom. Polanco/Arrieta/deGrom seem to be the top suggestions so far.

Just now, Dark One said:

Absolutely, and I guess I have pretty much already made up my mind on Sanchez, I was more or less trying to get a consensus on the best keeper from Polanco/Bregman/Mazara/Arrieta/deGrom. Polanco/Arrieta/deGrom seem to be the top suggestions so far.

It's definitely one of those 3.  In a redraft league I would draft Polanco first, but with your offense I would go with the SP you are more comfortable with.  As someone mentioned earlier there are injury concerns with deGrom.  

• Like 1

You don't need more offense. Sanchez is a must keep for me, considering the options and league size. Must keep.

Since there's no trading right now, I'd go with Arrieta, as I said. I know he has had a lot of IP the last two seasons, but the stats for the last three seasons. Damn! deGrom has had one top season, and the injury. With the defense of the Cubs, I think Arrieta is the superior option.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Khahan said:

6 keepers is not enough to keep gary sanchez.  This is 100% pure pre-season hype.  Drop him from your keeper list and add Polanco and Arrieta.  I'd keep him over DeGrom just because of DeGrom's injuries.

In a 10-12 team 1-catcher league I would agree, but 16-teamer I keep him.  

I might lock down a pitcher or Bregman. 

It sucks you cant make trades, I mean the point a lot of times in keeper leagues, is for the franchises that have an excess of keepers to improve theirs by going 2 for 1, 3 for 1, whoever set up the league not really understanding keeper concepts 101.  

• Like 1