JenksDodger

Breakout Prospects - 2017 MLB Impact

47 posts in this topic

I'd like to start a thread for prospects which are very likely to contribute to big league teams in the 2017 season.. 

Not looking for examples like Dansby Swanson, Benentendi, etc, etc.. (guys that are already in the bigs).. looking for guys that are still in the minors.. 

Due to this forum a few years ago, I was able to snag Michael Fulmer before any of my league mates as someone here posted he was a likely contributor in 2016. 

To start off the list: 

1) Cody Bellinger - very likely to be up in 2017, I'm going to estimate late May or early June.. @tywalson posted a clip in the Bellinger thread that Dave Roberts will be playing him at all 3 OF positions.. A team like the Dodgers could use a big time bat that has positional flexibility in their lineup.. Having a guy that has potential to hit .270, 25HR, etc, that can play 4 different positions on the field is invaluable. 

2) Josh Hader - I think he'd benefit more from being in MIL than going back to COL.. maybe he goes to COL for the first month and a half of the season, but I think he's up sometime in May. 

3) Amir Garrett- The Reds rotation leaves a lot to be desired.. Garrett is close to ready - another arm I see coming up very early in the season. 

4) Jake Bauers - I think the Rays will get his bat in the line up later in the year.. Rasmus, Dickerson, Souza all get on base at a dreadful rate.. Bringing him up and utilizing his plate approach will pay dividends in the end. 

5) Chance Sisco - may not be a stud fantasy catcher but he could be really good. Great OBP and can really hit, you can always find room for a catcher like that.. May/June arrival? 

6) Another Brewers youngster SP - Take your pick Lopez/Woodruff/Ortiz, whomever starts the year the best may get the next open spot in the rotation, if one were to open.. I think Hader is first in line but have no idea what the pecking order will be for the other 3. 

7) Jesse Winker - not sure what to expect here power wise, but he's ready.. One of the best plate approaches in all of minor league baseball.. 

8) JP Crawford - not high on Crawford as a fantasy SS, but some are.. he will be up in '17.. 

Any one else have some guys they are high on that could contribute? I'll post some more in a bit (non-top 100 guys) that I think will be up earlier on. 

6 people like this

Great topic and list Jenks. I think there are a few more I'd add here:

1.) Ian Happ, CHC. I think he could be up in the summer or as soon as there is an injury. They have a lot of depth but Happ is an MLB ready bat to me and versatile.

2.) Sean Newcomb, ATL. His stuff is elite if he can command it. He has a lot of work to do in AAA but could make an impact late if he can get his control and command together.  I view him as a left handed Tyler Glasnow.

3.) Franklin Barretto, OAK. The A's don't need to rush him but his bat should play immediately. Semien and him up the middle will be solid and at some point they need to see what they have with Barretto, Chapman, etc. this year. 

1 person likes this

Yea fun and important topic!

Can't argue with much you mentioned. Hader might need more seasoning than May but we'll get a good idea in ST.

Post #2- I think Happ needs more time, like a full season split in AA/AAA. He really took a while to adjust to his call-up last year. He's got a great profile though, certainly. Barreto seems more ready to contribute by mid-year to me. Newcomb will get smoked if he gets rushed, he's got 30 command still...it just won't work.

A few off my head top:

Rhys Hoskins- If tommy Joseph doesn't light it up early and often then Rhys will get a long look by summer--if not earlier.

Amed Rosario- His bat is just special, if he's deemed ready then there's is nothing that will be in his way.

Francis Martes- Still awfully young but is right there and stuff will keep him in games already. Love that Oswalt is teaching him the 4-seam CH in ST.

Willy Adames- If his bat continues to ascend in ST and he starts out well he could make himself an option for a team that could surprise.

Edited by ST. STEVEN

Clint Frazier if he plays well @ AAA

Adam Frazier if he plays well @ AAA and 1 of the Pirates trio of OF is injured

Dylan Cozens if he plays well @ AAA ... not much standing in his way in LF and RF

Edited by jb_power

Senzel starting in Cincinnati by end of season? Or am I being too aggressive..

Edited by osb_tensor

6 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

I think he probably debuts this year, just not sure if it's a September cup of coffee or earlier

49 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yea fun and important topic!

Can't argue with much you mentioned. Hader might need more seasoning than May but we'll get a good idea in ST.

Post #2- I think Happ needs more time, like a full season split in AA/AAA. He really took a while to adjust to his call-up last year. He's got a great profile though, certainly. Barreto seems more ready to contribute by mid-year to me. Newcomb will get smoked if he gets rushed, he's got 30 command still...it just won't work.

A few off my head top:

Rhys Hoskins- If tommy Joseph doesn't light it up early and often then Rhys will get a long look by summer--if not earlier.

Amed Rosario- His bat is just special, if he's deemed ready then there's is nothing that will be in his way.

Francis Martes- Still awfully young but is right there and stuff will keep him in games already. Love that Oswalt is teaching him the 4-seam CH in ST.

Willy Adames- If his bat continues to ascend in ST and he starts out well he could make himself an option for a team that could surprise.

I actually agree with you there Steven, the only reason I see him coming up that early is to get him out of Colorado Springs.. I think it would benefit him more to have him in long relief in MIL than a starter in COL.. If they had their AAA org in a different location, I would think he stays down longer.. will be interesting to see how they handle their pitchers during the first month of the season. 

Koda Glover seems like a good stash in deep leagues where you fight for Saves. 

5 people like this

My biggest one is Rowdy Tellez.  Spot should be open, just has to be good enough to grab it.  Casey Gillaspie  is another.  

Piching wise Brent Honeywell.

3 people like this

Tyler O'Neill- his performance in AAA will probably decide whether he comes up in May or later, and I don't see anyone blocking him in Seattle.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, TheBoatmen said:

My biggest one is Rowdy Tellez.  Spot should be open, just has to be good enough to grab it.  Casey Gillaspie  is another.  

Honeywell was one of my favorites before the Rays traded for De Leon. I like him a bit less since they traded for De Leon.. Snell, Cobb, Archer, Odorizzi, Andriese and De Leon are all in front of him. I still expect them to trade either Archer or Odorizzi mid/season.. and there's always the possibility that De Leon or Cobb get injured. The Rays are absolutely loaded with young arms close to being ready. Good problem to have.. 

Edited by JenksDodger
1 person likes this

9 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

9 hours ago, mysonx3 said:

I think he probably debuts this year, just not sure if it's a September cup of coffee or earlier

Maybe this is the wrong thread for it but I live relatively close to Louisville so I'll be going to quite a few Bats games to get a look at Senzel this year-- how soon do you think he's in AAA is essentially what I'm saying. Would love to get an inside lane on how he's looking consistently. 

11 hours ago, taobball said:

Maybe this is the wrong thread for it but I live relatively close to Louisville so I'll be going to quite a few Bats games to get a look at Senzel this year-- how soon do you think he's in AAA is essentially what I'm saying. Would love to get an inside lane on how he's looking consistently. 

it's a good question.. i'm guessing they'll start him in high-a and move him to AA quickly, assuming he produces. i could then see somewhere around mid-season a move to AAA and then maybe late in the season the majors?

i don't know.. that's a best scenario speculation and really fast through the minors.

really tough to know what they're thinking. i'm sure they (the front office) could be looking at super 2 of 2018 as the best time for mlb, so maybe AAA could be max in 2017 season.

Edited by osb_tensor

I kind of like the Manny Margot/Hunter Renfroe combo in San Diego. These two could help in roto late in drafts, depending on need. Margot will steal bases and Renfroe has legit power!

13 hours ago, taobball said:

Tao - Just my opinion, but I see him starting out a AA- Pensacola to start the year and I think he stays there for about 45-50 games (Juneish?) and then heads to AAA-Louisville.. Obviously on this trajectory he will have to dominate AA early, but I'm quite confident he does.. Senzel is a stud and can freakin' rake.. Out of the guys that don't have MLB experience, he's one of the safest bets in all of a baseball. 

Edited by JenksDodger

6 minutes ago, JenksDodger said:

Tao - Just my opinion, but I see him starting out a AA- Pensacola to start the year and I think he stays there for about 45-50 games (Juneish?) and then heads to AAA-Louisville.. Obviously on this trajectory he will have to come out and dominate AA early, but I'm quite confident he does.. Senzel is a stud and can freakin' rake.. Out of the guys that don't have MLB experience, he's one of the safest bets in all of a baseball. 

Would love to see it. I'm hoping to get to see Garrett early in the season but the real prize is gonna be those Senzel* games later. Also gonna see a lot of Austin Meadows this year. Live about equidistant from Indy and Louisville so I've scheduled out Bats and Indians games this season to see as many different clubs as possible. 

EDIT: I have no idea why I said winkler. I meant senzel lol.

Edited by taobball
1 person likes this

46 minutes ago, Coach George said:

I kind of like the Manny Margot/Hunter Renfroe combo in San Diego. These two could help in roto late in drafts, depending on need. Margot will steal bases and Renfroe has legit power!

I haven't gotten much into Renfroe yet this offseason but do you worry at all that he may be the type to strike out a bit extra in his first season as he kinda figures things out because he's never had a great K/BB? I know BBs aren't the perfect measure of a hitters patience so I don't know what it is, just worried if he's a chaser that that skill may take a year to come around and hte K's might be a bit elevated in the first year, generally speaking. Just thought you may have a better idea than me on this because like I said my Renfroe knowledge is limited at this point. 

I like to hear of some of the off the radar guys

Yefri Perez could steal over 30 with the Marlins if he gets PT.  

Guys on that team are always hurt or suspended 

1 person likes this

50 minutes ago, taobball said:

I haven't gotten much into Renfroe yet this offseason but do you worry at all that he may be the type to strike out a bit extra in his first season as he kinda figures things out because he's never had a great K/BB? I know BBs aren't the perfect measure of a hitters patience so I don't know what it is, just worried if he's a chaser that that skill may take a year to come around and hte K's might be a bit elevated in the first year, generally speaking. Just thought you may have a better idea than me on this because like I said my Renfroe knowledge is limited at this point. 

I don't think Renfroe is a stud. He's got some flaws in his game. But, like I said, he's a good cheap source of some power late in drafts.

1 person likes this

On 2/25/2017 at 4:51 PM, TheBoatmen said:

Agree with Tellez but like JenksDodger said above, De Leon has probably leap-frogged Honeywell.  I see ETA of 2018 on several sites for Honeywell now.

Here is one you might not think of.  Ariel Miranda (SP-Sea).  He came up and pitched well at the end of the season and was "rewarded" with has-been Gallardo being signed and taking up the last spot in the rotation.  So Miranda is back to being a prospect again.  But for how long?

One of the weirdest things I've read recently is that blurb from St Louis much commented on in the guy's thread here that Sandy Alcantara might make it to the bigs this year.  I know losing Alex Reyes has to hurt but I don't see how this kid can make iy all the way up this year.

Catcher-wise one of Philly's catcher prospects (both rated in catching top 10) if not both could be up this season.  Jorge Alfaro and/or Andrew Knapp.  I've read that Knapp might start right out of spring training though Alfaro usually gets the higher rating long term.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
1 person likes this