Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JenksDodger

Breakout Prospects - 2017 MLB Impact

1 minute ago, Italian_guy said:

Surprised no one mention Mitch Haniger. 

You can make a case for Vogelbach too

Mitch Haniger played last year, I believe Vogelbach did too. Either way both are projected to be on the OD Roster. And people discussing players who likely have an opening day job in this thread are probably missing the boat.  I believe the idea of this thread is for guys who will be called up later and probably have 0 ML time.  

Yes Margot, Renfroe, Benetendi, and Swanson are impact prospects and they will all be drafted or on the radar right away.

12 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Mitch Haniger played last year, I believe Vogelbach did too. Either way both are projected to be on the OD Roster. And people discussing players who likely have an opening day job in this thread are probably missing the boat.  I believe the idea of this thread is for guys who will be called up later and probably have 0 ML time.  

Yes Margot, Renfroe, Benetendi, and Swanson are impact prospects and they will all be drafted or on the radar right away.

Bingo - as mentioned in the initial post, looking for guys that are in the minors that haven't seen the majors yet.. Like Brock said Margot, Benentendi, Renfore, etc, etc are all known commodities at this point.. 

47 minutes ago, Italian_guy said:

Surprised no one mention Mitch Haniger. 

You can make a case for Vogelbach too

Like both quite a bit (disclaimer: Mariners fan), but as @brockpapersizer pointed out they're both going to be on the Opening Day roster so don't really qualify here. But I won't complain if we want to include them in the discussion.

Tyler Beede, SP SFG - Could really push for the 5th starter spot soon after the season starts.. Matt Cain is penciled in as the #5 starter and we know that ain't gonna last.. He has a full arsenal of pitches, would be pitching in the best pitchers park in the league, in one of the best orgs for developing pitchers.. Wish I had him in my leagues (but I don't). Could be a big time fantasy asset by July/August 

Lucas Giolito SP CHW

Reynaldo Lopez SP CHW

Either of these guys could be called up by May.

4 hours ago, StevoSupremo89 said:

What about Francisco Mejia - C - Indians? Anyone think he will make it up this year?

Honestly I dubt it other than a September call-up as the third catcher especially if the Indians are in contention again.  Yan Gomes had himself a nice little spring so I don;t see Mejia before next year except for September and/or an injury.  I'm sure they rather work with him as their prime AAA catcher then as a back-up this year in Cleveland.

Among catchers I think Alfaro/Knapp (both Phillies) have the best chance up first.  Also Zach Collins if the White Sox don't mind losing a year of control.  Yeah everyone says he is likely to move away from catching but he has that "C" next to him for this year at least.  Maybe next too if they give him a shot at some catching in the bigs.  A Gattis/Schwarder type of situation even.

I'm leaning Luis Ortiz coming up too in Milwaukee.  I know people say Hader.  I'm not saying he won't be up first maybe.  But Ortiz seems to have good control already for a prospect so is more polished that way.  He also has the advantage of being that control pitcher so less likely to blow his arm up in the first few years too.  I think the is room for both of them in Milwaukee this year.

I agree De Leon would likely come up before Honeywell. Of course Tampa Bay is back to being "interested" in Quintana.  Isn't their a law against monopolies in an industry like "pitching factories"?  But if one or two of the TB prospects get traded away to the White Sox or someone else be ready to pounce.

I agree that 1B is for the taking in Toronto for Rowdy Tellez.  Come on big boy, do your stuff.  TB has two 1B guys to pick from.  People say Gillispe has maybe the better stuff but the other guy has the better name since I also read it "Jack Bauer" instead of "Jake Bauer" heh.

Can Rys Hoskins make it up as a corner outfielder if Tommy Joseph hangs on to his gig?  Phillies outfield is really crowded.  Roman Quinn might have to start out in AAA too because of it.  And Nick Williams and Dylan Cozens are twiddling their thumps at AAA as well.  who gets the call first?  Quinn did last year and did well in the few games he was in.  Hoskins probably has the best power if he can play OF if blocked at 1B.  Apparently Nick Williams had a nice spring suddenly putting him on the map again.  One of two of these guys if not maybe three should all make it to the majors this season I would think.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Honestly I dubt it other than a September call-up as the third catcher especially if the Indians are in contention again.  Yan Gomes had himself a nice little spring so I don;t see Mejia before next year except for September and/or an injury.  I'm sure they rather work with him as their prime AAA catcher then as a back-up this year in Cleveland.

Among catchers I think Alfaro/Knapp (both Phillies) have the best chance up first.  Also Zach Collins if the White Sox don't mind losing a year of control.  Yeah everyone says he is likely to move away from catching but he has that "C" next to him for this year at least.  Maybe next too if they give him a shot at some catching in the bigs.  A Gattis/Schwarder type of situation even.

I'm leaning Luis Ortiz coming up too in Milwaukee.  I know people say Hader.  I'm not saying he won't be up first maybe.  But Ortiz seems to have good control already for a prospect so is more polished that way.  He also has the advantage of being that control pitcher so less likely to blow his arm up in the first few years too.  I think the is room for both of them in Milwaukee this year.

I agree De Leon would likely come up before Honeywell. Of course Tampa Bay is back to being "interested" in Quintana.  Isn't their a law against monopolies in an industry like "pitching factories"?  But if one or two of the TB prospects get traded away to the White Sox or someone else be ready to pounce.

I agree that 1B is for the taking in Toronto for Rowdy Tellez.  Come on big boy, do your stuff.  TB has two 1B guys to pick from.  People say Gillispe has maybe the better stuff but the other guy has the better name since I also read it "Jack Bauer" instead of "Jake Bauer" heh.

Can Rys Hoskins make it up as a corner outfielder if Tommy Joseph hangs on to his gig?  Phillies outfield is really crowded.  Roman Quinn might have to start out in AAA too because of it.  And Nick Williams and Dylan Cozens are twiddling their thumps at AAA as well.  who gets the call first?  Quinn did last year and did well in the few games he was in.  Hoskins probably has the best power if he can play OF if blocked at 1B.  Apparently Nick Williams had a nice spring suddenly putting him on the map again.  One of two of these guys if not maybe three should all make it to the majors this season I would think.

Pretty much agree with everything you said BBT.. 

Don't think Mejia see's much action this year in the bigs.. Catcher is such a tough position to play and learn the pitching staff all through out the season.. if he does come up it'll be like BBT said - a late season (September) call up.. However, if they are in the thick of a division race or wild card spot.. I don't think they'll bring him up at all. He's been assigned to AA - Akron, so that's where he will be for the time being.. 

Milwaukee is in a unique situation where they have four guys that have a ton of talent that are all close to being ready.. (Woodruff, Hader, Lopez and Ortiz) I would agree with you that Ortiz has the best control of all four.. That's one situation I'll be following closely this year is who is most likely to make it up.. I ultimately think a trade will be made trading one of those four.. 

Will be interesting to see if Williams can put it together again.. his walk rates are so dang poor, but there's a handful of guys in the bigs that play everyday that have piss poor walk rates.. He's a big time athlete so anything is possible.. I'm not a fan due to the approach, but I hope he proves me wrong and ends up being a hell of a player! 

2 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

I like hearing about darkhorses like this guy who suddenly just seem to pop up on us. 

My fashion comment for the year.  I'm a hater of pinstripes on any uniform.  They look like the offspring of some Richy Rich's button down business suit and a old-style prison uniform to me.  And now the Yankees have some batting practice cap or whatever with pinstripes on the bill of the cap?  Enough.

And this isn't because I'm a Red Sox fan.  I actually hate the Minnesota away grays with pinstripes the most followed by pinstripes in circus clown red on the Phillies home uniforms. 

Yes I have an anti-pinstripe list of them I hate the look so much.  It is the aesthetic equivalent to fingernails scraping on an old chalk board for me.  Some people can't stand snakes or rats.  I can't stand pinstripes.  And I admit to liking the clean, crisp look of the Yankee's non-pinstripe away uniforms.

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I'm a hater

What I got out of this post.

Pinstripes are awesome!

(This coming from someone who hates the Yankees more than pretty much any non-Red Sox fan in the world.)

8 hours ago, mysonx3 said:

What I got out of this post.

Pinstripes are awesome!

(This coming from someone who hates the Yankees more than pretty much any non-Red Sox fan in the world.)

If you like the Wall Street Convict look, haha.  We will happily agree to disagree.  (And Cubs?  You are third on my list of silly-evil looking pinstripe uniforms).

In other news Jordan Montgomery is not in the Yahoo database (shock, not).  So if he does win that rotation spot and Yahoo adds him people there be aware and get ready to claim him off of waivers if you want him.

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

If you like the Wall Street Convict look, haha.  We will happily agree to disagree.  (And Cubs?  You are third on my list of silly-evil looking pinstripe uniforms).

In other news Jordan Montgomery is not in the Yahoo database (shock, not).  So if he does win that rotation spot and Yahoo adds him people there be aware and get ready to claim him off of waivers if you want him.

He's not in espn either, for those wondering

16 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

He certainly made his case today.  4.1 IP, 8 K's, 0 BB's, 3 Hits, 2 ER (1 ER was a guy he let on in 4th before exiting, reliever let him cross home plate).  He was throwing strikes today.

3 hours ago, Meastoftheeast said:

He certainly made his case today.  4.1 IP, 8 K's, 0 BB's, 3 Hits, 2 ER (1 ER was a guy he let on in 4th before exiting, reliever let him cross home plate).  He was throwing strikes today.

"Facing a majority of the Rays regular lineup on Wednesday afternoon, Montgomery struck out eight batters – including Evan Longoria twice - during 4.1 innings of a 5-5 tie at Charlotte Sports Park."

On 3/22/2017 at 6:09 AM, Willsea33 said:

Lucas Giolito SP CHW

Reynaldo Lopez SP CHW

Either of these guys could be called up by May.

There's zero chance Giolito is up that early. 

19 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

"Facing a majority of the Rays regular lineup on Wednesday afternoon, Montgomery struck out eight batters – including Evan Longoria twice - during 4.1 innings of a 5-5 tie at Charlotte Sports Park."

Cessa optioned to AAA...

18 hours ago, deuce4off said:

There's zero chance Giolito is up that early. 

I think he's a bust in the making, 

What are your top 5 rankings for yet to be called up prospects in 2017? (non-keepers)

1. moncada

2. bellinger

3. meadows

4. zimmer

5. torres/rosario

1 hour ago, pbjfb said:

What are your top 5 rankings for yet to be called up prospects in 2017? (non-keepers)

1. moncada

2. bellinger

3. meadows

4. zimmer

5. torres/rosario

Well Moncada has been called up to the majors in his career, but will start this season in the minors. I like the list though! I'm still not sure Zimmer ever makes enough contact to be an above average player in the bigs but his speed and power definitely play. 

Do do we think Senzel makes an appearance this year? I'm excited for his bat. I'd also have Tyler O'neill fairly close to the top 5. His power is for real.

2 hours ago, pbjfb said:

1. moncada

2. bellinger

3. meadows

4. zimmer

5. torres/rosario

Tyler O'Neil is big I think, especially if you reward power or walks more in your league.

Brinson is also someone I'd target high 

I think Zimmer or Allen will be a productive of for Cleveland this year, not sure which