Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JenksDodger

Breakout Prospects - 2017 MLB Impact

Tallez

Moncada obviously 

8 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Tyler O'Neil is big I think, especially if you reward power or walks more in your league.

Brinson is also someone I'd target high 

I think Zimmer or Allen will be a productive of for Cleveland this year, not sure which 

Tell me more about O'Neill. All I know is he's Seattle's #2 prospect. We're an OBP league and he seems to walk a good bit. Any player comps or an ETA?

Just now, bigmarc27 said:

Tell me more about O'Neill. All I know is he's Seattle's #2 prospect. We're an OBP league and he seems to walk a good bit. Any player comps or an ETA?

ETA is this year. He has a lot of power.  I'm not good at comps, but he can walk ok and throw in a few steals.  

1 hour ago, bigmarc27 said:

Can't really think of a comp off hand.  But I will tell you this.  I think he's better than Cody Bellinger who is ranked higher on every single prospect ranking site.  Both Bellinger and O'Neill are on the cusp of the big leagues but are looking a bit of blockage.  O'Neill with the DH though seems like he could get more games. Bellinger pretty much needs Adrian Gonzalez to get hurt.  Could possibly play some OF if an injury happens there too.

2 hours ago, FouLLine said:

Can't really think of a comp off hand.  But I will tell you this.  I think he's better than Cody Bellinger

Why's that? 

16 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

He kind of reminds me of Dan Uggla (Marlins version not the Braves version)

On 3/31/2017 at 10:57 PM, FouLLine said:

Can't really think of a comp off hand.  But I will tell you this.  I think he's better than Cody Bellinger who is ranked higher on every single prospect ranking site.  Both Bellinger and O'Neill are on the cusp of the big leagues but are looking a bit of blockage.  O'Neill with the DH though seems like he could get more games. Bellinger pretty much needs Adrian Gonzalez to get hurt.  Could possibly play some OF if an injury happens there too.

Not really....he just needs Yasiel Puig to act like a two year old.  Only a matter of time.  That's probably his quickest route to the majors.

16 hours ago, pduce242424 said:

Not really....he just needs Yasiel Puig to act like a two year old.  Only a matter of time.  That's probably his quickest route to the majors.

Yes but Bellinger playing OF is going to cut into his hitting as we have already seen this spring it isn't easy learning a new position despite what people think.  Also that still puts him in a platoon base case scenario his first month or two in the bigs.  Even a flat out OF injury still puts him as a platoon really.  For Bellinger to be fantasy relevant (not just on an MLB roster collecting his league minimum) this year for an extended period of the season the by far best bet is Adrian to get hurt.  Puig being Puig may get Bellinger some extra ABs but that still puts him far from fantasy relevant. 

20 hours ago, FouLLine said:

Yes but Bellinger playing OF is going to cut into his hitting as we have already seen this spring it isn't easy learning a new position despite what people think.  Also that still puts him in a platoon base case scenario his first month or two in the bigs.  Even a flat out OF injury still puts him as a platoon really.  For Bellinger to be fantasy relevant (not just on an MLB roster collecting his league minimum) this year for an extended period of the season the by far best bet is Adrian to get hurt.  Puig being Puig may get Bellinger some extra ABs but that still puts him far from fantasy relevant. 

Have the Dodgers made any determination on where Bellinger plays in the minors? The Yankees, for example, announced that Glyber Torres would play SS/3B/2B at a 4/2/1 ratio I believe. For the Dodgers, playing Bellinger in the OF several times a week probably makes a ton of sense. I agree that the defensive adjustment could affect the bat, but perhaps that is greatly lessened by gettinh him exposure at the MILB level.

9 hours ago, oswald737 said:

Have the Dodgers made any determination on where Bellinger plays in the minors? The Yankees, for example, announced that Glyber Torres would play SS/3B/2B at a 4/2/1 ratio I believe. For the Dodgers, playing Bellinger in the OF several times a week probably makes a ton of sense. I agree that the defensive adjustment could affect the bat, but perhaps that is greatly lessened by gettinh him exposure at the MILB level.

Was just going to mention this.  He played 41 games as an outfielder in 2016 in the minors and arizona fall league.  He played 95 games at first.  

3 minutes ago, rrrich46 said:

Any guess on which impact SP prospect will be called up first?

I'll put Tyler Beede of the Giants in the discussion. Beede had a fantastic spring (0.69 ERA) and Matt Cain is the guy currently sitting in the 5th Starter spot who has been terrible. Other options are Hader/Ortiz in Milwaukee or Giolito/Reynaldo Lopez for the White Sox.

32 minutes ago, garlando said:

I'll put Tyler Beede of the Giants in the discussion. Beede had a fantastic spring (0.69 ERA) and Matt Cain is the guy currently sitting in the 5th Starter spot who has been terrible. Other options are Hader/Ortiz in Milwaukee or Giolito/Reynaldo Lopez for the White Sox.

Beede is gonna be a difference maker imo. Not sure he gets first crack, but that depends on how stretched out they keep Blach (SP?--the lefty and presumptive #6 SP). Hader and Ortiz will be lucky to see maybe Aug/Sept but I could be wrong. Lopez is my bet for 1st impact prospect to get called up. Maybe Fried by July, too?

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Beede is gonna be a difference maker imo. Not sure he gets first crack, but that depends on how stretched out they keep Blach (SP?--the lefty and presumptive #6 SP). Hader and Ortiz will be lucky to see maybe Aug/Sept but I could be wrong. Lopez is my bet for 1st impact prospect to get called up. Maybe Fried by July, too?

Thanks. I'm in a new keeper league that's pitching heavy, major inflation on the top arms. So getting a jump on any impact arms at low cost is KEY

21 hours ago, rrrich46 said:

Any guess on which impact SP prospect will be called up first?

Giolito should be able to crack that White Sox rotation and you may be able to get him at a decent discount considering that he was a top 5 prospect last year. 

22 hours ago, Azzurri17 said:

Giolito should be able to crack that White Sox rotation and you may be able to get him at a decent discount considering that he was a top 5 prospect last year. 

Yeah I am watching him along with Hader, Martes, Lopez and DeLeon...

Moncada, Bellinger, Barretto? Who is the guy you are chomping at the bit to add once he gets the call? 

Bellinger will be exciting once he gets the call. Power galore.

1 minute ago, lavaman said:

Bellinger will be exciting once he gets the call. Power galore.

I agree . I guess everyone is waiting for Super 2 . Hopefully won't be that long . 

3 hours ago, 12to6 said:

Eddie Butler

Not sure if that's meant in jest or not, be he hasn't been a prospect since 2015. He's fared well at AAA Iowa so far this year, but his K's/BB's ratio is very underwhelming (11 K's to 8 BB's through 24.2 innings).

7 hours ago, Dark One said:

Not sure if that's meant in jest or not, be he hasn't been a prospect since 2015. He's fared well at AAA Iowa so far this year, but his K's/BB's ratio is very underwhelming (11 K's to 8 BB's through 24.2 innings).

I suppose he's not technically a prospect but I love me some Eddie. He was a tremendous pitcher in the Rockies minors and ranked high on all prospect lists. The Cubs made a smart move here and I'm excited to see if he can reach his potential. 

Do we think Derek Fisher has a shot to contribute at the major league level this year?  Aoki is hitting now but can we expect that to last?  Would he be next in line if an injury occurs or Aoki turns into a pumpkin?

11 minutes ago, Dahk said:

Do we think Derek Fisher has a shot to contribute at the major league level this year?  Aoki is hitting now but can we expect that to last?  Would he be next in line if an injury occurs or Aoki turns into a pumpkin?

There's still Teoscar in Triple A to worry about. Hes been hitting

shelby miller injury could potentially open a rotation spot for anthony banda if the spot doesn't go to archie bradley.

banda is a #3/#4 type pitcher probably. Not super impressed with his stuff from the futures game but that is only one game. Could be deep league relevant.