taobball

2017 Spring Training Notes

329 posts in this topic

I saw their was a Spring Training Thread last year and I've been a little iffy about just going around posting on everyone's threads with just little tid bits so I'd love to have another one here. I've been watching some Spring and this is what I've tabbed from the guys I've watched so far:

Mike Montgomery -- Falling behind often. Not missing wild but missing location. Showed confidence in the Curve and started hitters out with it. Looked good and spotted it on the corner at least once. Struck out a righty (Canha) on a Change-Whiff. Didn't like how many balls he threw but at this point of spring I'm happy that he's using FB/CU/CH and all of them looked good. I like his mix and he didn't get into his Cutter. 

Danny Salazar -- Looked really crisp for this time of the season to me. Walked his first hitter and then gave up only one single to Eloy Jimenez that was in on his hands and shot between the 3B/SS hole on the ground. Change-up was pure filth. Struck out three hitters with at least four whiffs in just two innings. Started a hitter with a curve which is good for him to be playing with more of his bag of tricks. 

Cody Bellinger -- Really thought he looked good as far as laying off tough pitches. Definitely had a couple balls that could have (not should have, but could have) rung him up for a called strike 3 but he laid off of them and got to swing again. Saw a lot of pitches and worked deep counts. Everyone should watch that HR. 

I'm also watching the Rays rn and I'm assuming Snell doesn't pitch a third so.

Blake Snell -- Really thought he looked good. Zero walks firstly through two innings and while he faced 10 batters he did it in 31 pitches. Started the game a bit wild up top. Missed a few fastballs by throwing at a guys eyes or above a few times including his first two pitches. Fastball in general last year had one of the best RPMs last year among starters and it really looked like hitters had a real hard time squaring it up. Odubel got a hold of one and shot it Oppo/Center a long way for a double. He fell behind in that AB 2-0. Most hitters didn't get a hold of it though. Generated one whiff (a swinging K on Galvis near his eyeballs) but got a ton of balls fouled off. Franco got an RBI on him/his FB but it was a blooper that he didn't get anything on, just floated it over the 1B/2B's head. Also generated a shallow fly/pop-up and an additional pop-up on the FB. The curve is my favorite pitch of his. Didn't have a ton of whiffs (Galvis did swing at one that he threw about 45 feet... because... Freddy Galvis), but it bites so hard. Like the look of it when he bounces it and that will generate Ks but he needs to work on getting it just *a bit* higher so that hitters think it may drop in the zone because they were just laying off it and letting him go from ahead to behind in the count. Did land one first pitch curve in the zone for an 0-1 count. Settled in a bit I think after the first three hitters. Got a hard GB up into his glove against the third batter and was able to pick Odubel off 2nd for a FC, and after that I think he settled in. After falling behind the first two batters 2-0 and the third batter 1-0, was able to start with a strike and get ahead 0-1 in his next four ABs. I think for a guy with a 5 BB/9 it was a rather promising outing and short of a few pitches he was getting in the zone and with his stuff he wasn't getting squared up very much. That FB is hard to hit.

If he builds off of this start and continues to be able to not walk guys he will rise a lot in my SP Ranks. I love Blake Snell's stuff. 

1 person likes this

Luis Cessa - showed mid 90s fastball that he commanded well to glove side.  Couldn't command to arm side.  Nice breaking ball and change up.  Liked what I saw enough that if he makes the rotation I'll draft in deeper leagues.  

Mike Mitchell - looked like a bullpen arm due to flat fastball and average breaking stuff.

Aaron Judge - lots of talk on the broadcast about how he studied a ton of Miggy and Bonds film in an effort to stay back on his back leg more.  Unfortunately he didn't notice or replicate their hand positioning and his swing remains too long.   The HR he hit was off a lefty and center cut middle high.

Byungho Park with his 2nd homer of the spring.  Any chance he unseats Vargys for the DH job?

Alex Rodriquez says Miguel Andujar bat is MLB ready 

Aaron Judge is a beast

1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, TheBoatmen said:

Byungho Park with his 2nd homer of the spring.  Any chance he unseats Vargys for the DH job?

so far Eric Thames hasn't got a hit

Just now, shakestreet said:

Alex Rodriquez says Miguel Andujar bat is MLB ready 

Aaron Judge is a beast

Judge needs a lot of work. 

Did catch the comments from Arod about Andujar's talent.  Definitely got my attention.

Rowdy Tellez showing the speed and power.  SB and a double.  Can only hope he unseats Smoak.

1 person likes this

GUYS PABLO SANDOVAL IS IN THE BEST SHAPE OF HIS LIFE! :rolleyes:

6 people like this

48 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Judge needs a lot of work. 

Did catch the comments from Arod about Andujar's talent.  Definitely got my attention.

andujar is going to double A.  he might get his call up next year...but im still predicting hes a late 2018 or 2019 guy.

yanks infield in 2019 could be. Sanchez, Bird, mateo, torres, andujar with clint frazier and blake rutherford in the OF with a BIG FA or judge in RF.  (i personally dont have much faith in judge)

not as confident about pitching though....i have been high on andujar for a year or so

3 people like this

13 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

andujar is going to double A.  he might get his call up next year...but im still predicting hes a late 2018 or 2019 guy.

yanks infield in 2019 could be. Sanchez, Bird, mateo, torres, andujar with clint frazier and blake rutherford in the OF with a BIG FA or judge in RF.  (i personally dont have much faith in judge)

not as confident about pitching though....i have been high on andujar for a year or so

I love Clint Frazier.

Yankees will make a run at Harper.

1 person likes this

Can get L. Cain very cheap in few leagues this year so want to see him in spring. Think he can have much better year then 2016.

24 minutes ago, midlip said:

And in related news KFC profits are down due to lack of sales

10 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

I love Clint Frazier.

Yankees will make a run at Harper.

ya im thinking they go after Harper OR machado, depending on how andujar and/or judge turn out...but not both. 

the rest of the money should be allocated towards pitching

ive heard harper and his father are yankees fans, and machado is close to Arod (not sure if thats good or bad, but AROD might be joining Yes Network booth)

Edited by jfazz23

Sox are going to give Pablo the opportunity to pass/fail so there's a shot.  I'm fairly low on him, though, as i think most are

PS - you're on clock in the mock - go post there!

Marcus Stroman looked pretty good. 96 eluded to in his thread how he'd like to see him mix locations more, and I do agree. He was mixing pitches pretty decently though, and aside from one ball Smoak snared he was getting pretty weak contact.

Jose Bautista is one guy I'm keeping a really close eye on. He's the guy out of anyone off the top of my head that I'd really raise an eyebrow if he hit 10 Spring Bombs/WBC Bombs. I'm worried about his Shoulder but if he's 100% entering the season I think he'll be a bargain. Took some good cuts today and he hasn't lost a beat with his awareness (not that I expected his eye to be worse). 

1 hour ago, midlip said:

He's noticeably leaner.

And Hanley is stronger/bigger.

3 minutes ago, Light Tower Power said:

Anthony DeSclafani was scratched from his Tuesday start with elbow tenderness.

Of course he was

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

He's noticeably leaner.

Was this post stuck in the editor from 2016?

3 people like this

Just now, mysonx3 said:

Was this post stuck in the editor from 2016?

Ha.  Nope,  Panda was really fat last year. 

bregman crushed a ground rule double to almost dead center in his first at bat.

starting to think hes no joke

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

He's noticeably leaner.

hanley DHing this year, could be a very big year.  im very Bullish on him. buy buy buy!

2 people like this