taobball

2017 Spring Training Notes

3 hours ago, JFS179 said:

Lefty in Fenway... it's not a great combo.  I won't bet against him to win it, but he wouldn't be my pick.

I own him and I didn't like he move to Fenway. The dimensions of that park are comical. That said,  he was pitching in the Cell, with no defense behind him and some of the worst framing catchers in baseball.  He is a wipeout pitcher so he could thrive with a team that is actually playing for something. He should have a good year.

21 hours ago, jspeco9 said:

5 HR for Harper. 

So does Jabari Blash. I agree its better to be hitting well, then to not right now but I don't take ST numbers too seriously.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mickey Donovan said:

I own him and I didn't like he move to Fenway. The dimensions of that park are comical. That said,  he was pitching in the Cell, with no defense behind him and some of the worst framing catchers in baseball.  He is a wipeout pitcher so he could thrive with a team that is actually playing for something. He should have a good year.

Yeah I'm not actively avoiding Sale or saying he won't be good, I'm just saying I wouldn't pick him for the Cy Young award and I would prefer a different home park.  Lefties in Fenway face a natural disadvantage IMO.

1 hour ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Was he hurt last year?

I couldn't say for sure but he had noticeable loss velocity and struggled with his mechanics for much of the season. There was a lot of speculation that he was pitching through an injury. Maybe he was just dramatically worse pitching in Fenway. 

18 hours ago, mysonx3 said:

Ian Desmond broke his hand

just skimming through this thread and noticed this post.. can't believe nobody commented. what a shame

Edited by osb_tensor
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

just skimming through this thread and noticed this post.. can't believe nobody commented. what a shame

I mean there's an ian desmond thread for thta...

4 hours ago, JFS179 said:

People said the same thing about Price.  Sale is a great pitcher... but the Green Monster lets lazy fly balls turn into doubles, and I think we've seen a pattern of lefties in Fenway performing slightly below expectations.

4 hours ago, Chaco Chicken said:

People also said look out for his massive innings load from the previous season and he walked into Fenway hurt. My only fear is if they try to make him wear a throwback jersey. 

Both are about Price.  Price was a mess last year period.  Both home and away.  In past years Price had his best performances on the road at Fenway.

In other words, Sale should be just fine at Fenway.  It doesn't effect ALL lefties even remotely.  The Wall may give up some fly ball homers but it also takes away tons of line drive homers that would be out of any other major league park due to it's height.  Turns some of them into singles even.  Same with doubles at other parks becoming wall ball singles at Fenway.  Also it isn't a given a man can score from second on a wall ball either. 

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Wonder if Price breaks 30 IP this year.  Terrified about his elbow 

Just now, BMcP said:

Wonder if Price breaks 30 IP this year.  Terrified about his elbow 

Hello, is that you Dave Dombrowski?  (This was his showpiece first move giving Price that meaga-bucks 7 year contract with the only opt out belonging to Price).

Ha!  No!  But I do wish both Davids the best in the year to come!

Not really fantasy specific, but the Mariners just lost to the Brewers 24-3.  :lol:

Iwakuma allowed 7 earned over 2.2 and wasn't even the SECOND worst pitcher of the day.  Whoever the heck R. Weber and B. Ash are probably just died and went the minors.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Not really fantasy specific, but the Mariners just lost to the Brewers 24-3.  :lol:

Iwakuma allowed 7 earned over 2.2 and wasn't even the SECOND worst pitcher of the day.  Whoever the heck R. Weber and B. Ash are probably just died and went the minors.

If thats bad, don't look at Carrasco's line today.......

11 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

The Braves have scored all their 2017 season runs in one game

Edited by BlueJaysIn2030
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

I think everybody went to the Desmond thread and the Stay Away thread. You're right, though. Big news in Spring Training includes major injuries like Desmond's. When I check in here I expect to be updated on big news, injuries included. Otherwise, what am I paying for? ;)

Edited by Stats
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, phatrat said:

Tom Murphy broken arm.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/rockies-continue-to-get-hit-hard-by-injuries-now-lose-murphy-to-fractured-forearm/

An MRI revealed #Rockies C Tom Murphy suffered a hairline fracture of his right forearm Saturday. Estimated recovery time is 4-6 weeks.

drafted a NFBC team last month ... my 2 starting catchers are Salvador Perez and Tom Murphy ... WTF

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jb_power said:

drafted a NFBC team last month ... my 2 starting catchers are Salvador Perez and Tom Murphy ... WTF

Ya I have Dahl & Desmond in one.  That'll teach me to target Rockies. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

I have Desmond also.  Gonna be a rough April for sure

Carlos Carrasco getting "checked out"  ...oh boy. 

Also listening to an interview with a guy who covers the Mets talking about how bad Matt Harvey looks

28 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Anyone know how deGrom's velocity is looking? They aren't showing the game on MLB.TV.

3ip 2h 1bb 6k's so far.

His velocity looked the same as previous starts, 93-96 from what I've seen.

2 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Thor with a "mystery illness"

Bronchitis according to Terry Collins. 

1 hour ago, jb_power said:

57 minutes ago, jb_power said:

I have Desmond also.  Gonna be a rough April for sure

Please post your full roster here for the benefit of the rest of us. Thanks for taking one for the team.

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

See above

• Like 3