Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beauso79

Jay Bruce

Anyone seen the upcoming schedule for the Reds? Brutal! After a three-game set at home against the Pirates they then have 26 games against:

3 vs Atl

4 @ Phi

4 @ Fla

3 vs STL

3 vs Bos

3 vs LAD

3 @ NYY

3 @ Tor

All of those teams with the exception of <gulp> the Yankees are over .500. I have been saying that they will call Bruce when they are more than 10 games back from first and based on this schedule, I predict it will be June 4th.

Any other guesses on the actual date?

there was an article that was written that said adam dunn has a no trade protection clause in his contract till June 15, afterwards, he can be shipped out to 10 different teams.

griffey,that same article mentioned how the reds wanted griffey to hit his 600th homerun in a reds uniform...

bruce is coming up...and my feeling is that it could happen sometime in the next few weeks

AAA is way easier. They play in smaller stadiums, face easier pitchers, and use better bats. It's stupid.

??????????????????????????

AAA is way easier. They play in smaller stadiums, face easier pitchers, and use better bats. It's stupid.

I don't understand this portion of your statement. B):):lol::D Better bats?

Bruce owner in a league that doesnt allow for a lot of bench spots so its killing me that hes not here. Griff and Dunn I can understand...but PATTERSON!??!?! thats like my hometown nationals having Willie Harris and Rob Mackowiak on our roster...WHY!?

10 team league and your wasting a roster spot (in a redraft league i assume) on a rookie hitter? thats falling into the prospect hype a bit much i think. you cant expect a rookie hitter to come up and be studly right away. pitchers yes, hitters no imo....

thats the problem. on my waiver wire right now is Dye, Kemp, Bourn, Victorino, Carlos Pena, Rowand....there are so many people id like to have on the WW but I know if I drop Bruce at least 3-4 other owners will pick him up.

do you want to win your league, or own the sexy rookie?

0 for 7 and bruce is 2 for 3. WAKE UP CINCY!!!! Incase they havent noticed all the other teams whove called up their young studs are winning.

This might be the final straw, and to top it off they lost the game. I have a feeling its this week for the Bruce call up because after Holliday's injury i was forced to put Bruce in my active line up for this week. It's a sign!

This might be the final straw, and to top it off they lost the game. I have a feeling its this week for the Bruce call up because after Holliday's injury i was forced to put Bruce in my active line up for this week. It's a sign!

Wasn't there something about waiting until June 1st to "save some money?"

No, there was a quote from the Reds just saying that it could be any number of dates, "May 15th, June 1st, June 15th" just to indicate it could be any day. People seemed to run with that, but it was just an indication that it could be any time.

If I was the Reds I wouldnt worry about "saving some money" i'd worry about saving the organization because what fans are going to want to go to the ballpark to watch that team?? I'm here in D.C. but people still go see the Nats cuz they are all youngsters who in a few years will hopefully be like the Marlins and Rays of this year.

Does anyone read anymore?

I want to see Headley EDIT: or Bruce as much as the next guy, but now that I know the situation better, it makes perfect sense that they waited to bring him up.

JUNE 1st. We won't see him until then period. By waiting until then, they were able to save a full year on his eligibility. Towers can say that it doesn't matter all he wants, but that is a load. It could save them millions of dollars if this kid is the real deal.

Now that they are so close, it would be completely stupid to bring him up over the next week.

This is the common situation for young studs now. The better they are, the more likely they will sit in the minors for a month or two because they will win the arbitration cases if they are better ballplayers. Headley EDIT: or Bruce was longer than most since he played last year. Longoria only came up because of injury. Marginal talents, are not as big of an issue since the teams bring them up thinking that they will be servicable and don't think it will cost them millions in arbitration by year three.

Everyone looks at how the Brewers and KC situation went last year with Gordon and Braun now. Braun just signed a new deal, but the Brewers would have held his rights for a full year longer than KC held Gordon's and for franchises strapped for cash, that is a big deal. KC was really not smart to bring Gordon up last year out of spring and burn a year, when they could have waited a month, saved a year, and allowed the kid to gain some confidence in the minors like he should have.

This is the situation you will see from most high level prospects going forward.

I already grabbed Headley and stashed him in a couple of deeper leagues. Once the calender changes, we should see some action.

There's the stuff about what waiting until June 1 (or so) does to save $, pasted from the Headley thread (thanks Czar). What it really translates into is that it ensures that Bruce (or Headley) won't be arbitration eligible until after their 3rd season - they can't qualify as super-2 players (or are *incredibly* unlikely to, in order to get into the top 18 percent of 2nd-year players). Essentially, it means that if the Reds or Padres wait 1 more week or so to call up their stud prospect, they get rewarded.

Remember the M's had the same situation - they call up A-Rod 1 week later, they would have had 1 more season before he hit free agency in the 90's, when they were contending year in & year out.

As Czar mentioned, if the Reds/Padres were going to wait this long, they might as well wait another week, and while many will disagree with the decision to send them down April 1, if they waited this long, it makes little sense not to wait the extra week or so to achieve their goal. And let's face it, once they're up, the fanbase will quickly forget a week or two of delays....even if anxious FBB owners will *always* remember it, LOL.

Beyond June 1, though, FBB owners can start salivating, because after that, there will be no real reason to hold them back unless they want to stall their MLB clock completely for 2008, in which case a September call-up would happen. Can't see a full stall for 2008 happening in either case, so patience Bruce/Headley owners - your time is coming.

so the best case looks like a june 1st call-up. should we be stashing him now? What kinds of leagues would you say? because i've heard this guy should be owned in any format.

how long after june 1st, while he still isnt up, do you cut bait with him? this situation is pretty frustrating.

I told you guys