Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beauso79

Jay Bruce

I just dumped Andruw Jones for him and I'm not looking back.

I just dumped Andruw Jones for him and I'm not looking back.

This should happen in leagues of all sizes

yes im pumped for bruce to be gettin the call soon!

i have him in the hub (keeper league) and my team really needs to get things started soon. i also have rasmus so hopefully he wont wait to long to be called up.

Sssssssssssssooooooooooooooooo happy I picked him up last week! This is great news. I did drop Andy Laroche for him, but from what I understand that won't matter in a little while. Bruce seems like a beast!!!

"Dusty has a rep for running young guys into the ground"

Where did you come up with that assumtion? Dusty's on record as saying he doesn't like young players, and prefers vets even if they're terrible (see Chicago Cubs the Dusty Years also San Fransisco...and Cincy...). I think you're getting pitchers and postion players confused. His giving Hatty a single starts just proves how much of an idiot Dusty is. Freel, Griffey, Dunn, Patterson...Its pretty crowded right now unless managment has given him a mandate to start playing the youngsters, and Jocketty has that kind of pull I'd imagine, but I would be very hesitent to start him until we see how it shakes out.

He stole 6 in ~250 ABs in 2005, 19 in 2006, then only 8 2007. His power numbers have remained around 20-25 per 500 ABs, and his average has stayed excellent.

If he got called up tomorrow and played 4-6 games per week, what kind of numbers could you guys see him amassing?

I think a .290 20 HR 75 RBI 10 SB performance is within reach. This is exactly why I am keeping him despite separate offers of McGowan and Shef for him. Am I way off base? Is he Braun 2008?

he is the poster child for prospects panning out, so why is it unfair to mention him when a prospect comes up?

he is the poster child for prospects panning out, so why is it unfair to mention him when a prospect comes up?

Because it will never happen again.

The K rate suggests to me that he won't hit .290. .260-.270 this season based on pure talent and that sweet swing is what I would expect.

Look at Evan Longoria...

Temper your expectations. If he breaks out, then you'll be even more delighted.

.270, 15 homers, 90 Ks if given 300 ABs

if he got called up tomorrow and played 5-6 games per week that projects to only about 105 games total. So 11 HR's 53 RBI's and about .275 with maybe 7 SB's should be expected. Who knows if he will be the next Ryan Braun Braun's rookie year was a once in a decade thing

My only option would be to cut Mclouth. They seem like they have similar skill sets? Comparisons?

Never drop the guy who is performing for someone who "might" perform. I'm high on Bruce, but I wouldn't drop McLouth for him. But I bet you could package McLouth and someone else for an upgrade and make room for Bruce.

As for comparisons, I think McLouth will probably be more consistent and have better all around numbers this year. Next year, I would look for a big improvement from Bruce.

He stole 6 in ~250 ABs in 2005, 19 in 2006, then only 8 2007. His power numbers have remained around 20-25 per 500 ABs, and his average has stayed excellent.

If he got called up tomorrow and played 4-6 games per week, what kind of numbers could you guys see him amassing?

I think a .290 20 HR 75 RBI 10 SB performance is within reach. This is exactly why I am keeping him despite separate offers of McGowan and Shef for him. Am I way off base? Is he Braun 2008?

This is about the line I expected given a full-time starting job if he were called up by the end of this month. (I think I wrote 20 HR 10 SB in the other Bruce thread). I think his BA might be a little lower though. .275-.285 may be more realistic.

Of course he could pull a Hunter Pence or Braun on everyone. Either way, it is exciting to think about the possibilities. Personally, I would consider McGowan for him, but I don't like Sheff's injury probabilities.

Hmmmm, maybe they just want to shock everybody in fantasy and call-up Bailey and Bruce together... Maybe they have them on double-secret probation buddy sytem or something... Who freaking knows...

This is about the line I expected given a full-time starting job if he were called up by the end of this month. (I think I wrote 20 HR 10 SB in the other Bruce thread). I think his BA might be a little lower though. .275-.285 may be more realistic.

Of course he could pull a Hunter Pence or Braun on everyone. Either way, it is exciting to think about the possibilities. Personally, I would consider McGowan for him, but I don't like Sheff's injury probabilities.

.268 9HR 9SB Less R and RBI than most think with the jettisoning of Jr. and Dunn. He'll give you some production but expecting anything close to braun is futile and will end up costing you from others. I say he's a sell high guy right now.

don't be surprised if jay bats leadoff when he does get the call

Because it will never happen again.

calm yourself.....each year there is a BIG rookie that comes up that helps you way more than any other rookie. Its fair to ask is he "the one" vs the rest of a deep and talented rookie class to be the biggest difference maker.

By years end I think Bruce will have better numbers than any other rookie that started in the minors....

longoria, headley, rasmus, clement

A "braun type" impact will certainly happen again..

calm yourself.....each year there is a BIG rookie that comes up that helps you way more than any other rookie. Its fair to ask is he "the one" vs the rest of a deep and talented rookie class to be the biggest difference maker.

By years end I think Bruce will have better numbers than any other rookie that started in the minors....

longoria, headley, rasmus, clement

A "braun type" impact will certainly happen again..

meaning at some point....not this year with Bruce I dont think though. Pujols 2001 was bigger than braun id say (tho he started in the majors he didnt have a job at first)

The Ryan Braun mentions every time a prospect comes up really need to cease.

How do you figure?... It's only been one year, so really the only few prospects that could have been legitimatley talked about as "Braunesk" type rookies would be Longoria and Bruce (both of whom have extreme talent). Of course people are looking for the next Ryan Braun. People are going to try to find the next "Ryan Braun" until someone puts up numbers better or at least close to in their respective rookie season, then they'll (the fantasy world) be looking for the next whoever that player is (Maybe Bruce?). Sure it isn't going to happen every year (that type of rookie dominance) but it will happen again and if you aren't looking for it you'll miss it. So you'll be hearing it for awhile.

And let's not act like Jay Bruce isn't worthy of Braun type career projections (or even similar rookie year projections). Bruce is getting better praise than Gordon got last year who had better praise then Braun last year (to star the year). And Bruce is more than 3 years younger than those guys.

How do you figure?... It's only been one year, so really the only few prospects that could have been legitimatley talked about as "Braunesk" type rookies would be Longoria and Bruce (both of whom have extreme talent). Of course people are looking for the next Ryan Braun. People are going to try to find the next "Ryan Braun" until someone puts up numbers better or at least close to in their respective rookie season, then they'll (the fantasy world) be looking for the next whoever that player is (Maybe Bruce?). Sure it isn't going to happen every year (that type of rookie dominance) but it will happen again and if you aren't looking for it you'll miss it. So you'll be hearing it for awhile.

And let's not act like Jay Bruce isn't worthy of Braun type career projections (or even similar rookie year projections). Bruce is getting better praise than Gordon got last year who had better praise then Braun last year (to star the year). And Bruce is more than 3 years younger than those guys.

"Legitimately" being the operative word in your post. Braun's name gets tossed out there anytime ANY batter with ANY potential AT ALL gets called up. It's ridiculous.

Unless the relationship between Baker and Patterson breaks up I don't think we'll see Bruce up anytime soon. The only reasons a guy who k's so much and never gets on and hits leadoff for a team is:

1. He has compromising photos of the manager

2. He has a "close" relationship with the manager outside of baseball

3. The manager is a complete baffoon.

My guess in this case is all 3.

However Freel is playing ok, he hustles and can steal bases. I'm sure Bruce can contribute more to this anemic offense though.

Did I miss something? Is there more talk of Bruce being called up? I know there was talk of Bailey coming up to start on Thursday but hadn't heard anything about Bruce. Is this pure speculation? I would have to make some roon for him. That might mean dropping somebody like Milledge. My current ourfielders ar Milledge, Ordonez, Justin Upton, Carlos Lee and Crawford. Maybe I should try to get a bum of Milledge now and a better pick in the draft next year and not just dump him.