Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beauso79

Jay Bruce

Did I miss something? Is there more talk of Bruce being called up? I know there was talk of Bailey coming up to start on Thursday but hadn't heard anything about Bruce. Is this pure speculation? I would have to make some roon for him. That might mean dropping somebody like Milledge. My current ourfielders ar Milledge, Ordonez, Justin Upton, Carlos Lee and Crawford. Maybe I should try to get a bum of Milledge now and a better pick in the draft next year and not just dump him.

i agree - i see all of these bruce threads in the main forum and assumed he was up

this could all be a moot point

i agree - i see all of these bruce threads in the main forum and assumed he was up

this could all be a moot point

It is speculation, speculation based on some evidence. Apparently, Baker says that Bruce will be up soon. We need to ask what Baker's definition of "soon" is.

Will he start? I am assuming yes, right?

I'm not sure you can trust Baker to give everyday AB's to a rookie. He has settled in on Votto everyday but the competetion at 1B is much weaker that the competetion in CF. (Freel & Patterson)

The best thing the Reds could do right now is ship Griffey to Sea and loot the Mariners of what quality prospects they have left. Moving Griffey would definately open up a spot for Bruce.

Tx

The K rate suggests to me that he won't hit .290. .260-.270 this season based on pure talent and that sweet swing is what I would expect.

Look at Evan Longoria...

Temper your expectations. If he breaks out, then you'll be even more delighted.

Don't overrate K rate. There are plenty of guys who K and hit for good average. Sure it's harder to do but certian guys can and will consistantly do it. Just look at some of the three year averages for these players.

Ryan Howard .291 with a K rate of 33.8% (K rate starting to hurt his BA. But his minor league career .299 with a 31.5%)

Travis Hafner .291 with a K rate of 23.4%

Jason Bay .281 with a K rate of 25.7%

Brad Hawp .284 with a K rate of 25%

Braun as a rookie hit .324 with a a K rate of 24.8% (which isn't all that bad of a rookie K rate)

but this year Braun has a .281 with a 20.2%. Again small sample but we are talking about ones rookie season. Even though Braun has shown imense improvement in his K rate his BA so far has suffered 43 points.

Both the Uptons sure small sample sizes but even through their minor league careers.

BJ Utpon had a .296 life time BA in the minors and struk out 23.2% of the time in his minor league career. It translated into him hitting .300 as a rookie even though he K'ed every 32.5% of the time in his rookie season. This year he's proving the K rate fanatics wrong again by defying fantasy law and hitting .296 with a 25% K rate.

Now Justin has the better contact rate of the two Upton's but he didn't carry as high of a minor league career batting average (a much quicker minor league career). But right now he is carrying a .326 with a K rate of 27.8%.

So in short BA's can defy K rates. The main things these guys all have in common is they constantly swing hard. They get extra base hits. Also in the cases of the Braun's and Upton's of the world they offer good speed, which will allow you to get more hits. More infiled hits and more bloop singles due to corner infielders playing up on the grass due to good speed.

I'm not sure you can trust Baker to give everyday AB's to a rookie. He has settled in on Votto everyday but the competetion at 1B is much weaker that the competetion in CF. (Freel & Patterson)

The best thing the Reds could do right now is ship Griffey to Sea and loot the Mariners of what quality prospects they have left. Moving Griffey would definately open up a spot for Bruce.

Tx

Jeff Clement and change for griffey would be nice for both teams

The best thing the Reds could do right now is ship Griffey to Sea and loot the Mariners of what quality young players/prospects they have left. Moving Griffey would definately open up a spot for Bruce.

Tx

What are the chances he gets the callup when Bailey ( IF ) comes up on Thursday? My problem is if I put a claim in on him it is only good for 7 days. And it goes to the FIRST person by order of the time stamped on the request. Should I wait until tomorrow? Do it tonight? When are most callups annouced?Or offical

Jeff Clement and change for griffey would be nice for both teams

That's what I was thinking. Clement and M. Lowe for starters. Then a token pitching prospect in AA or A+ with some tools.

The Reds have enough SP to compete this year. I think Griffey is expendable with the emergence of Votto and Encarnacion.

Tx

What are the chances he gets the callup when Bailey ( IF ) comes up on Thursday? My problem is if I put a claim in on him it is only good for 7 days. And it goes to the FIRST person by order of the time stamped on the request. Should I wait until tomorrow? Do it tonight? When are most callups annouced?Or offical

Wait a minute, where did anyone hear that Homer Bailey is being called up?

That's what I was thinking. Clement, M. Lowe, and a high upside pitching prospect in AA or A+ would help the Reds now and for years to come.

The Reds have enough SP to compete this year. I think Griffey is expendable with the emergence of Votto and Encarnacion.

Tx

That's entirely too much to give up for a 38 year old Griffey. Clement will probably outperform Griffey starting next year and Griffey's salary is a big thing to take on. Not to mention his no trade where he'd probably require a team to pick up his option so that he'd waive it.

That's what I was thinking. Clement, M. Lowe, and a high upside pitching prospect in AA or A+ would help the Reds now and for years to come.

Tx

Do you guys truly believe Seattle is just going to hand over the rest of their farm system for a guy who's one bad step away from retirement?

I dumped Bourn for him.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

i have a couple open spots i was saving for pitchers tho.. thinkin bout just droppin Delmon Young

he never plays anyway i'm stacked at OF.. i'll have to find a way to fit Bruce in if he gets the call and catches fire

That's entirely too much to give up for a 38 year old Griffey. Clement will probably outperform Griffey starting next year and Griffey's salary is a big thing to take on. Not to mention his no trade where he'd probably require a team to pick up his option so that he'd waive it.

Someone had to say it... as I was reading the earlier post I was thinking Griffey and something to get Clement.

Seattle is poorly run, but even they will not move Clement.

I see Johjima on his way out before Clement.

I really wonder about Dusty altogether. Who knows what "soon" does mean indeed. I agree with the poster who said Bruce may lead off. This could be a tactic to set a fire under Patterson's butt, though Patterson has been kinda awful for the past month or more, he hasn't been striking out at a horrific rate, so not sure how much harder he can 'play' since I rarely get to see the Reds games. That being said, I hope Bruce does get the callup and play soon as the primary starter in CF or wherever. If he does get to lead off, he could possibly show somepower right away, figuratively getting bucu-fastballs in the leadoff slot, ala Kirby Puckett. Some guys who rake in the minors, Dunn, Kearns etc don't keep the same game with the promotion, and others like David Ortiz take years to regain the same dominance at the next level. This is why I am a fan of the game. I am looking forward to whatever Bruce is able to do. No good reason to not bring him up asap, I think he has nothing to prove and no reason to be held back any longer.

does this guy swipe bags??

He had 19 in 2006, then only stole 8 last year, but has already stolen 7 this year

OF Jay Bruce: 12 hits in last 22ab to lift batting average to .328 (3rd in International League)...his 43 hits rank T1st in the IL. If friggin' Griffey would hit his 600 hr's, he'd be shipped to Seattle and Bruce would be in RF everyday. Cannot wait.

Or they could just call him up now and play him in CF. Patterson blows

and all of a sudden Corey Patterson goes 4/5

B)

He just needed motivation LOL.

I really wonder about Dusty altogether. Who knows what "soon" does mean indeed. I agree with the poster who said Bruce may lead off. This could be a tactic to set a fire under Patterson's butt, though Patterson has been kinda awful for the past month or more, he hasn't been striking out at a horrific rate, so not sure how much harder he can 'play' since I rarely get to see the Reds games. That being said, I hope Bruce does get the callup and play soon as the primary starter in CF or wherever. If he does get to lead off, he could possibly show somepower right away, figuratively getting bucu-fastballs in the leadoff slot, ala Kirby Puckett. Some guys who rake in the minors, Dunn, Kearns etc don't keep the same game with the promotion, and others like David Ortiz take years to regain the same dominance at the next level. This is why I am a fan of the game. I am looking forward to whatever Bruce is able to do. No good reason to not bring him up asap, I think he has nothing to prove and no reason to be held back any longer.

It's just a matter of time before Bruce gets brought up, he should see MLB ABs soon this year. The Reds don't need to rush him, but once they fall a little further behind they'll be throwing up the white flag. And why not, the Reds have some of the most dynamic rookies and young players right now. Edinson Volquez, Johnny Cueto, Joey Votto. A breakout 25 year old 3B Edwin Encarnacion. Brandon Phillips at 26 broke out hard last year. There is such a good core there, they just need to strengthen their bullpen and the bottom of their rotation, which they have Homer Bailey and Daryl Thompson in the minors for. They have good trade bait in a fading Ken Griffey and a currently slumping Adam Dunn.

They really do not have a team to compete in the NL Central which for years has been the weakest division but this year seems to be the strongest so far. I think the CBS projection of June 1st is looking about right so long as Bruce keeps hitting in the minors and Patterson keeps slumping.

I think Daryl Thompson should get a call before Bailey... He's pitching much better (in Doulbe A) right now and Bailey has had rough outings his last few times out in Triple A. Alongw ith a poor MLB track record to begin with. Bailey doesn't look quite ready for The Show right now. Especially to when you have to pitch at Great American you better be on your A game. 3rd best park for HR's this year.

Because it will never happen again.

Everyone said the same thing after Pujols went off his rookie year.

Everyone said the same thing after Pujols went off his rookie year.

OK fine. JAY BRUCE IS THE NEXT RYAN BRAUN ALBERT PUJOLS. EVERYBODY BETTER GO PICK HIM UP STAT!!

Checl out RotoTimes. Probable pitchers for Thursday. They have him listed as starting against the Marlins at home

Anybody seen anything definitive yet? Any breaking news?