smeeze

Brandin Cooks 2017 Season Outlook

678 posts in this topic

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, the Titans are the frontrunners to acquire Brandin Cooks in a deal that could send the No. 18 overall pick to the Saints.

Would be a blow to his value in all likelihood.  Going from Brees to Mariota and leaving the fast turf and dome at home.  I was considering keeping him but will probably have to re-evaluate if this trade happens.

I don't think that trade would be all that bad. Mariota is not a bad passer at all and who is the other receiving weapon on that team, Delanie Walker @ the TE spot? It would be an interesting trade but I don't think it would be the end of the world.

Rishard Matthews was still there and he ate last season so I could definitely see Cooks having a nice season.  I suppose in a sense he's got even less competition for targets in Tennessee than he did in NO with Thomas.

Definitely. The Titans are solid and I think they'll have a better season this year. Wasn't there reports of Cooks being unhappy in NO as well? Maybe a fresh start would be good for him. There was talk about getting Mariota some more offensive weapons so this would help to go along with the strong RB & TE play.

There was one game where he was barely targeted (if at all) and he made some public comments about it.  IIRC, he followed it up with some huge weeks.  So maybe there is more behind the scenes with respect to him wanting out of NO but who knows.

I think it boosts Cooks' value on a week-to-week basis. The problem with him the last two seasons was that he put up deceptive WR1 numbers on a season-long basis, but only because of a handful of monster games.  On a typical week he'd only go for about 4-60-0, despite costing a late second round pick in August.  Cooks' ceiling will be lower because he probably won't have many 200 yard games with Mariota throwing to him, but he'd also be the clear number one option in the passing game without having to compete for targets with Thomas and Snead.

What are the stats on Mariota's arm strength and deep ball accuracy? I had Cooks last year and it seems like he did the best when Brees went to him for the big plays and not so much a result of steady volume. I also remember him disappearing vs quality corners. He also concerns me as a redzone target given his height and the way Brees locked in on Thomas. If Cooks stays with the Saints I think he will be similar to last year in that he will disappear at times but have some blow up games. I do think Thomas will outscore him overall due to TDs next year, but Cooks should still be a boom bust WR2. If he goes to the Titans, I think he will follow a similar pattern but I don't see the booms being as big. He could turn in to a slightly better version of what Mike Wallace was last year.

Win for Mariota and Tennessee football-wise.

Win for Cooks - gets out of New Orleans, presumably gets a new deal and moves to an up-and-coming offense.

Not sure it's a fantasy win for Cook's owners... with Mathews, Sharpe, Walker, and Murray catching balls and already on the roster, there are lots of mouths to feed... Cooks will get his, there is a ceiling in this offense.

Mariota goes up a couple notches for me if this deal happens. 

Edited by Winky
1 person likes this

I wouldn't want my team to throw a 1st rd pick at NO for Cooks.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, smeeze said:

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, the Titans are the frontrunners to acquire Brandin Cooks in a deal that could send the No. 18 overall pick to the Saints.

Would be a blow to his value in all likelihood.  Going from Brees to Mariota and leaving the fast turf and dome at home.  I was considering keeping him but will probably have to re-evaluate if this trade happens.

I wouldnt. Brees throws the ball all around, whereas with the Titans Cooks would be the unquestioned number one and command the bulk of the targets.

20 minutes ago, psygolf said:

I wouldn't want my team to throw a 1st rd pick at NO for Cooks.

An early one I agree, but you aren't gonna get a WR as good as Cooks at 18, so if WR is your main need I would certainly consider it, especially since you have two number ones.

1 person likes this

38 minutes ago, petekrum said:

I wouldnt. Brees throws the ball all around, whereas with the Titans Cooks would be the unquestioned number one and command the bulk of the targets.

I wonder if this would be a good thing in Tennessee. Cooks did not do well against quality corners and NO runs a much different offense then the Titans. Plus, Cooks is only 5'10". He is a great fit in NO but I'm skeptical that this automatically makes him #1 on a team like the Titans.

36 minutes ago, petekrum said:

An early one I agree, but you aren't gonna get a WR as good as Cooks at 18, so if WR is your main need I would certainly consider it, especially since you have two number ones.

It'd be funny if NO drafted Williams with Tenn's pick.

1 person likes this

I think this trade, if it happens, would increase the values of Mariota, Cooks and Michael Thomas.

Mariota was already a target of mine due to his incredible efficiency and bonus rushing yards. Give him ANOTHER legit weapon to go with Walker and Rishard, and look out. Imagine defenses trying to cover Cooks on play action to Murray and Henry. Good luck. One misstep and he's by you for 6.

Cooks is awesome, but he just doesn't get enough targets in NO to be a consistent WR1 week to week. I think in Tennessee he'd be the focal point of the offense, with Rishard and Walker taking on more complementary roles that better suit their skills.

And Michael Thomas would pretty much be the only Saints WR on the team aside from Snead, whom I'd bump up a little if Cooks were traded too. Thomas was already going to be one of the top WRs taken in drafts this upcoming season, but getting rid of Cooks would likely mean more targets, which are everything to a WR's production. 

Hope this trade happens.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, psygolf said:

It'd be funny if NO drafted Williams with Tenn's pick.

Corey Davis to the Saints would be a dream come true. It'd be hard to pass on him for Dalvin Cook in rookie drafts.

Edited by CL3VELANDBR0WNS

I think this trade doesn't change all that much. 
I expect his numbers to mostly stay the same.
He is in for a target increase but has to face (if retained) Bouye 2x, Davis 2x, and Ramsey 2x every year after playing in one of the softest divisions this year. Expect some more goose eggs against those top flight corners.

18 minutes ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

I think this trade doesn't change all that much. 
I expect his numbers to mostly stay the same.
He is in for a target increase but has to face (if retained) Bouye 2x, Davis 2x, and Ramsey 2x every year after playing in one of the softest divisions this year. Expect some more goose eggs against those top flight corners.

The only potential saving grace in the face of those CBs is that when the Saints game planned to get him the ball in space vs Pat Pete and Arizona last year Cooks destroyed them. 

55 minutes ago, mrblonde1984 said:

I think this trade, if it happens, would increase the values of Mariota, Cooks and Michael Thomas.

Mariota was already a target of mine due to his incredible efficiency and bonus rushing yards. Give him ANOTHER legit weapon to go with Walker and Rishard, and look out. Imagine defenses trying to cover Cooks on play action to Murray and Henry. Good luck. One misstep and he's by you for 6.

Cooks is awesome, but he just doesn't get enough targets in NO to be a consistent WR1 week to week. I think in Tennessee he'd be the focal point of the offense, with Rishard and Walker taking on more complementary roles that better suit their skills.

And Michael Thomas would pretty much be the only Saints WR on the team aside from Snead, whom I'd bump up a little if Cooks were traded too. Thomas was already going to be one of the top WRs taken in drafts this upcoming season, but getting rid of Cooks would likely mean more targets, which are everything to a WR's production. 

Hope this trade happens.

I'm curious as to how Thomas will perform without Cooks next year.   This year teams gameplanned and double teamed Cooks leaving Thomas generally one on one vs #2 CBs.  It'll be different if he becomes the pass catcher that teams key on because I've we've seen with Cooks, when a guy is doubled Brees goes elsewhere.  I'd expect Snead to be the clear beneficiary.  It'll also be interesting to see who they draft or sign to take Cooks' spot.  I'm assuming they'd use the pick the get for Cooks on a defensive player (although Corey Davis would likely also be in play).  Said as a Thomas keeper league owner.

1 person likes this

He uses his size well to get off of press man coverage. That is a huge thing for me when evaluating WRs. Setting the Saints rookie record for TD receptions is also nice. Even if getting shut down by a corner, he will still see looks in the end zone. I'm all over him next year if Cooks gets traded.

When I see the Eagles projected to take a wr with their 14/15 1st round slot I keep saying I'd rather trade that pick for Cooks who would destroy teams as the 1b wr and would still have two years of lower waged rookie contract money, then sign Alshon Jeffrey as the 1a big free agent move...  They could also sign one one of the numerous free agent rbs which in today's nfl don't make all that much money and they could roll out an offense of Wentz-Jeffrey-Cooks-Jordan Mathews in the slot and Ertz/Burton at TE, plus the new rb/sproles/smallwood...  

Instead of signing someone like an ancient Desean Jackson or "12 million a year" Kenny Stills and using that 14/15 pick on a rookie wr who may or may not ever be any good...

Cooks in this scenario with gunslinger Wentz would offer a monster ceiling and instantly put the Eagles in the upper tier of offenses in football...

I own Cooks and wanted him out of New Orleans since mid season, but like others mentioned, in Tennessee he would be the #1 in a division with two shutdown corners and other opponents doubling him constantly...  Mariota is good enough to use the other guys (Rishard/Delanie/even Wright) when teams scheme for Cooks which may painfully remind everyone of his decoy status in New Orleans, but in Philly with Jeffey and those other weapons it would be far more likely Cooks would BOOM consistently...

Wishful thinking but in the off season any fantasy thinking is good enough for me...

1 hour ago, General Gannicus said:

When I see the Eagles projected to take a wr with their 14/15 1st round slot I keep saying I'd rather trade that pick for Cooks who would destroy teams as the 1b wr and would still have two years of lower waged rookie contract money, then sign Alshon Jeffrey as the 1a big free agent move...  They could also sign one one of the numerous free agent rbs which in today's nfl don't make all that much money and they could roll out an offense of Wentz-Jeffrey-Cooks-Jordan Mathews in the slot and Ertz/Burton at TE, plus the new rb/sproles/smallwood...  

Instead of signing someone like an ancient Desean Jackson or "12 million a year" Kenny Stills and using that 14/15 pick on a rookie wr who may or may not ever be any good...

Cooks in this scenario with gunslinger Wentz would offer a monster ceiling and instantly put the Eagles in the upper tier of offenses in football...

I own Cooks and wanted him out of New Orleans since mid season, but like others mentioned, in Tennessee he would be the #1 in a division with two shutdown corners and other opponents doubling him constantly...  Mariota is good enough to use the other guys (Rishard/Delanie/even Wright) when teams scheme for Cooks which may painfully remind everyone of his decoy status in New Orleans, but in Philly with Jeffey and those other weapons it would be far more likely Cooks would BOOM consistently...

Wishful thinking but in the off season any fantasy thinking is good enough for me...

Funny you mention Wentz as a gunslinger, dude was 31st in YPA and below average on the deep ball.
Unless you were referring to his ability to throw it to the defense.

Edited by CL3VELANDBR0WNS

18th pick for Cooks? Cooks isnt that good. Titans would be stupid. Mathews is fine and they need to go defense on both of their picks.

plus, if titans wanna target a WR in one of the two first picks their better off drafting Davis or Williams, much better and cheaper

Edited by ChasinDatPaper

3 hours ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

Funny you mention Wentz as a gunslinger, dude was 31st in YPA and below average on the deep ball.
Unless you were referring to his ability to throw it to the defense.

Yup. With Matthews, DGB, and Agholor he should have been lighting up defenses with deep ball. No excuses with such a wealth of quality deep ball targets.

Ha.

As crazy as it may sound, Cooks production probably goes down if he comes to Tennessee

- run first team

- Mariota looks alot for Walker and intermediate passing on this offense.

cooks isnt a red zone threat either. Horrible landing spot and a bad deal for Tennessee. 

Edited by ChasinDatPaper