smeeze

Brandin Cooks 2017 Season Outlook

678 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Can't see it. Not unless he has a big pre-season.

Too much skepticism surrounding a player that already divided opinions. I'd say he is a solid third rounder.

Great move for NE as a team but for fantasy almost a non event to slight downgrade.  Cooks went from top2 on saints to now one of 8 on Pats. Going from Brees( a friggin stud) to Brady( another stud)  and prolific passing attack  on a team with no defense to a balanced offense on a team with a solid defense does not scream elite wr stud. He is DND for me. 8 other guys on that Pats team that can stud out week to week.

Edited by dashoe

14 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Great move for NE as a team but for fantasy almost a non event to slight downgrade.  Cooks went from top2 on saints to now one of 8 on Pats. Going from Brees( a friggin stud) to Brady( another stud)  and prolific passing attack  on a team with no defense to a balanced offense on a team with a solid defense does not scream elite wr stud. He is DND for me. 8 other guys on that Pats team that can stud out week to week.

I'll never agree with the 'too many mouths to feed' argument.

Mentioning him as 'one of 8 guys' completely ignores the quality of his game. Gronk is 'one of 8 guys', you know he is getting the ball. Similarly, Cooks is one of the best receivers in the league, you know he'll get the ball...he is in a different league compared to Edelman and those replaceable scrubs. This argument is valid only if the 'guys' you mention are comparable in terms of talent; like in the case of the Patriots RBs.

BTW, i doubt NE is any more of a lottery than NO was; in fact, no QB spreads the ball around as much as Brees. Brady is more match-up oriented, and more likely to lock onto targets. Cooks could potentially have much bigger games than he ever did in NO. Worst case scenario, Cooks would still be as productive as he was in NO; and a top 10 fantasy WR. And this is before even discussing his 'role' on the offense.

With that said, your point of view is very common. I like getting a feel for what the 'crowd' is thinking, and opinions are as divided as ever on twitter and elsewhere. I can't imagine him being anything more than a 3rd rounder, and i doubt any of the fantasy 'experts' will push his case with any real confidence.

4 people like this

On 3/14/2017 at 0:30 AM, jbshaw said:

While I'm far from high on him, I don't think that's an accurate assessment.  Unless he struggles to learn the offense/chemistry with Brady, I think he at absolute worst is a fairly consistent WR2 (he was a full season WR1 last year at 8 standard/10 PPR) and only failed to hit 60 yards or a TD in 3 of his games (Julio had more awful games). 

Complete package, upside and risk, I'm not confident in him as a WR1 come the draft, so I probably won't be in the hunt. But planning on him as your WR3 is ridiculous IMO, at least given the league-wide injury and roster information we have at this time. 

We'll see. I don't agree he has WR 1 or 2 value. Brady will continue to pepper the short routes, TEs, RBs, slot receivers. I'm not drafting him as a WR 2. No way. Far too many options out there that have proven performance. I may be wrong, but I think Cooks is a long term investment for the Pats. He may be post-Brady relevant, just not sure how a deep threat with an elder QB will pan out this year. Just saying there are better options out there for a #1 or #2 WR draft pick. NE has no problem cutting declining players. If Brady loses his arm ala Marino and Manning, he's gone.

14 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

I'll never agree with the 'too many mouths to feed' argument.

Mentioning him as 'one of 8 guys' completely ignores the quality of his game. Gronk is 'one of 8 guys', you know he is getting the ball. Similarly, Cooks is one of the best receivers in the league, you know he'll get the ball...he is in a different league compared to Edelman and those replaceable scrubs. This argument is valid only if the 'guys' you mention are comparable in terms of talent; like in the case of the Patriots RBs.

BTW, i doubt NE is any more of a lottery than NO was; in fact, no QB spreads the ball around as much as Brees. Brady is more match-up oriented, and more likely to lock onto targets. Cooks could potentially have much bigger games than he ever did in NO. Worst case scenario, Cooks would still be as productive as he was in NO; and a top 10 fantasy WR. And this is before even discussing his 'role' on the offense.

With that said, your point of view is very common. I like getting a feel for what the 'crowd' is thinking, and opinions are as divided as ever on twitter and elsewhere. I can't imagine him being anything more than a 3rd rounder, and i doubt any of the fantasy 'experts' will push his case with any real confidence.

and I will again opine he was boom or bust in NO and he will be even more boom or bust on the Pats so more of the same in a nutshell. Also not sure why u would classify edelman as a "scrub"

7 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Also not sure why u would classify edelman as a "scrub"

Relatively speaking. He isn't capable of doing half the things that Cooks can.

42 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Relatively speaking. He isn't capable of doing half the things that Cooks can.

I'd argue that Cooks isn't proven capable of doing half the things that Evans, Julio, Brown, Jordy, Dez, Hopkins, Green, Thomas, Brown, or Beckham (fantasy wise, he fits in among the lower tier of those guys, who are there b/c of injury risk/QB issues). Personally, I'd rather have TY Hilton over him, and don't really see Cooks being anything much more than that.  Hilton was top 5 in standard and PPR (in an overall down year for WR's), but he isn't some godly talent.  

As far as Edelman, besides run fast, what can Cooks do better?  Without digging into stats (paging @FFCollusion), Edelman appears to have the better hands, is a better route runner, and at absolute worst is apparently smart enough to meet the threshold for how much that can improve the game.  Edelman is heavier (potential durability), and can run both inside and out. Since Cooks isn't a Dez/Evans/Julio type who is going to physically look like a man among boys, Edelman not really being able to doesn't make a difference. 

So, what does Cook do well?  He runs fast.  He should be the #1 deep route role player.  He is quick, so he can do a lot of the underneath work that Amendola and Edelman thrive on, so he fits one of those Belichick roles.  The Pats have enough of that work to support a couple receivers, so I think it eats more out of Amendola than Edelman. Hogan, Amendola, and Bennett combined had 1600 yards. He can't do the jump ball/contested catch role particularly well, but Gronk has that role cornered and will smash if you come near it (I also think Edelman is better at contested catches based on what I've seen of the two). I think Cooks gets the majority of Amendola and Hogan's work, and is part of the group that gets some of the production caused by the downgrade from Bennett to Allen.  That's putting him in the 1000-1200 yard range. TD's are largely a crapshoot, but with Gronk, Edelman, and Lewis/White, I don't see him making his money on TDs like Dez. 

4 minutes ago, jbshaw said:

I'd argue that Cooks isn't proven capable of doing half the things that Evans, Julio, Brown, Jordy, Dez, Hopkins, Green, Thomas, Brown, or Beckham (fantasy wise, he fits in among the lower tier of those guys, who are there b/c of injury risk/QB issues). Personally, I'd rather have TY Hilton over him, and don't really see Cooks being anything much more than that.  Hilton was top 5 in standard and PPR (in an overall down year for WR's), but he isn't some godly talent.  

As far as Edelman, besides run fast, what can Cooks do better?  Without digging into stats (paging @FFCollusion), Edelman appears to have the better hands, is a better route runner, and at absolute worst is apparently smart enough to meet the threshold for how much that can improve the game.  Edelman is heavier (potential durability), and can run both inside and out. Since Cooks isn't a Dez/Evans/Julio type who is going to physically look like a man among boys, Edelman not really being able to doesn't make a difference. 

even if you ignore the obvious physical differences, Edelman isn't better than Cooks at anything. I owned both in dynasty and redraft leagues. Cooks has fewer drops in 3 NFL seasons than Edelman had in 2015 alone, and i'd argue Cooks has some of the safest hands in the entire league. Cooks makes contested catches, he can beat double coverage, he gets yards after contact, he is tougher. He gets effortless separation and can play almost anywhere. Edelman can't make the plays that Cooks does every week, It's not even a contest.

Edelman is a replaceable player, a very good one, but nothing more. The Patriots know this.

I'm not sure why you mention the first point. He won't be drafted ahead of those players.

4 people like this

1 hour ago, jbshaw said:

So, what does Cook do well?  He runs fast.  He should be the #1 deep route role player.  He is quick, so he can do a lot of the underneath work that Amendola and Edelman thrive on, so he fits one of those Belichick roles.  The Pats have enough of that work to support a couple receivers, so I think it eats more out of Amendola than Edelman. Hogan, Amendola, and Bennett combined had 1600 yards. He can't do the jump ball/contested catch role particularly well, but Gronk has that role cornered and will smash if you come near it (I also think Edelman is better at contested catches based on what I've seen of the two). I think Cooks gets the majority of Amendola and Hogan's work, and is part of the group that gets some of the production caused by the downgrade from Bennett to Allen.  That's putting him in the 1000-1200 yard range. TD's are largely a crapshoot, but with Gronk, Edelman, and Lewis/White, I don't see him making his money on TDs like Dez. 

Keep repeating it but I'll say it again - Cooks is the among the best small stature WRs I've ever seen.  Compared to Edelman he's straight line faster, quicker/more agile, more explosive, and stronger.  And that's comparing him to Edelman at his peak physical ability let alone with Edelman at age 31.  (EDIT:  Coming out of college Edelman was a tad quicker and more agile.) He's like current Edelman on steroids.

2 people like this

11 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Keep repeating it but I'll say it again - Cooks is the among the best small stature WRs I've ever seen.  Compared to Edelman he's straight line faster, quicker/more agile, more explosive, and stronger.  And that's comparing him to Edelman at his peak physical ability let alone with Edelman at age 31.  He's like Edelman on steroids.

Guess I just caught him on bad days.  The Saints weren't worth watching all that much. Alternatively, I've seen a lot more of the Pats and seen Edelman make some fantastic plays.  I haven't been impressed so far, but that's largely small sample size of actually being able to watch him.  Statistically, nothing leaps off the page at me that makes me think he's anything all that special (basically TY Hilton with 2 less years of track record.  Very good, but never quite great). 

1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, jbshaw said:

Guess I just caught him on bad days.  The Saints weren't worth watching all that much. Alternatively, I've seen a lot more of the Pats and seen Edelman make some fantastic plays.  I haven't been impressed so far, but that's largely small sample size of actually being able to watch him.  Statistically, nothing leaps off the page at me that makes me think he's anything all that special (basically TY Hilton with 2 less years of track record.  Very good, but never quite great). 

He's also still only 23...which is crazy.   Check out the Oakland game highlights and the  Arizona game highlights.  They show the full potential.

Having said that, I actually went back and checked and coming out of college Edelman was a little quicker and explosive.  I apologize for the inaccurate information earlier.  Whether he still is at age 31 I doubt but I was factually incorrect before.

Ty was really impressive last year. 

7 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

He's also still only 23...which is crazy.   Check out the Oakland game highlights and the  Arizona game highlights.  They show the full potential.

Having said that, I actually went back and checked and coming out of college Edelman was a little quicker and explosive.  I apologize for the inaccurate information earlier.  Whether he still is at age 31 I doubt but I was factually incorrect before.

Ty was really impressive last year. 

Just watched Oakland.  One TD was nothing new for me.  He's fast and can punish you deep, especially when a big, physical corner lacking in speed gives him a free release and doesn't start with cushion.  Holding onto the ball going over the middle between 2 defenders on the other TD was a good sign (and much more repeatable), and something that would make me think higher of him if I saw more of that. 

Cardinals again there's 3 noteworthy plays (at least in the highlights I saw). The out against Peterson he shows good body control to stay endbounds and high points it well (and enough route running/agility to get open). The first touchdown was a matter of beating single coverage against a guy overmatched (more defensive mistake than anything IMO).  The crossing route where he's able to out strip the center defender, turn upfield, and simply beat the rest of the coverage to the end zone is more impressive IMO.

So he'll get a couple random long TDs no one can predict.  He has the talent to carve out a 1000+ receiving role on just about any team out there except the Jets or Rams (I'm not sure Brown could deal with those QBs and poor offenses).  I just really question if New England is an upgrade.  Drew Brees is the statistical king of this era. Brady is in my mind the inarguable greatest QB of all time, but he doesn't put up the raw stats of Brees, because his team doesn't need him to. Through a combination of offensive efficiency and good to midling NFL defenses (last time they had a top 10 DVOA with Brady as starting QB was 2006, basing that off another poster on a different forum who has been reliable in the past), the passing pie is smaller in New England than in New Orleans. While Cooks is getting one of the bigger pieces, I still don't think he gets more pie than his (also quite big) slice of the New Orleans pie. 

I've always been under the impression that Belichick is more of an organizational genius who gets players to buy into the executional excellence mentality (which you see in Saban, a Belichick coaching branch) rather than an uber X's and O's guy (not saying he's less than great there either, but his background as a coach isn't offense). Meanwhile, the perception of Peyton was that he's an X's and O's guy on offense.  Belichick is great at (getting his assistants to) cater to their individual players' capabilities, so they never have to do more than what they are capable of doing.  But I don't think that projects to a better coaching situation from Cooks ability to put up raw stats (fantasy) than what Peyton offered.  

It might be +/- 200 yards, but I feel very safe saying he's a 1200ish yard receiver next year.  I don't think the 8 TD number comes up. Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell, Amendola, and Bennett had 22 TDs last year with Gronk out.  Assume Edelman makes 5ish (3 last year), Hogan drops out entirely, Gronk eats half of Bennett's (say 4 gone, which is honestly a low total if he plays 10 games), that drops you down to 13 for everhy other receiver.  Even if we assume Cooks gets 75% of that, he's only adding a TD or 2 if things go right without Brady having a sudden blow up year statistically.

Off to bed, so it'll be after fence work before I reply to why I'm inevitably wrong tomorrow (I think I can count the time where my opinion was "right" compared to yours on one hand)

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, jbshaw said:

"The first touchdown was a matter of beating single coverage against a guy overmatched (more defensive mistake than anything IMO). The crossing route where he's able to out strip the center defender, turn upfield, and simply beat the rest of the coverage to the end zone is more impressive IMO."

I've looked at the two TDs Cooks scored in the Cardinal game & I agree with respect to the first one, more so. Just as the analyst states, this was a major breakdown in the back, I think scheme-wise as much as coverage. DJ Swearinger is a roamer, an arrive and say hello type. A run support safety, not a cover guy. To think he can match up against Brandin Cooks in all that space is plain stupid, shouldn't even see it. Swearinger does commit to something that isn't there, Cooks is clearly taking that thing vertical, THAT'S what should've been honored. This is a cover-two shell, the CB on the pre-snap to that side has to get up there & jam the crap out of Cooks before releasing him to the inside. No jam, no funnel, no one home. It's just Cooks running down the field largely uncontested, I don't get what's so special about it.

The second one is just a cross off a 3-wr, weak side bunch. The inside rec'r runs straight at the inside DB (Tyrann Mathieu), which Mathieu may in fact honor, we don't see that part. We do know he ends up in a trail position & never recovers. The Cardinals blitz two inside defenders, leaving a coverage void in the short middle. Someone needs to be filling that void on the post-snap, I think it's Mathieu. He should be coming downhill on that instead of waiting to see which rec'r breaks over the vacated middle. According to his most recent meme, Mathieu was getting freakin' roasted by everybody, not just elite rec'rs. I don't mean to undermine Cooks' speed or Brees' placement. For me, epic fail is not disrupting the route/timing, not contesting the reception & not making the tackle. None of which occurred.    

1 person likes this

For those saying he's a huge candidate to be over-drafted: I have a hard time seeing even the casual fans reaching for him over the following guys: AB84, Julio, OBJ, Evans, AJG, Dez, TY and Jordy.  That would mean he's being drafted as the WR9 and considering he finished as the WR8 last year, seems about right.  It's entirely possible guys like Cooper, M. Thomas, Nuk, ARob and Keenan end up slotting ahead of him in terms of ADP so there could definitely be some value to be had here.

Edited by smeeze

14 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Keep repeating it but I'll say it again - Cooks is the among the best small stature WRs I've ever seen.  Compared to Edelman he's straight line faster, quicker/more agile, more explosive, and stronger.  And that's comparing him to Edelman at his peak physical ability let alone with Edelman at age 31.  (EDIT:  Coming out of college Edelman was a tad quicker and more agile.) He's like current Edelman on steroids.

He is one of the best small stature WRs you have seen yet a rookie on his team performed just as good as one of the best small stature WRs ever?

7 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

He is one of the best small stature WRs you have seen yet a rookie on his team performed just as good as one of the best small stature WRs ever?

Small or big stature he was always boom or bust and he will be boom or bust on the Pats as a fantasy player. if u draft him as ur wr1 u willl be frustrate weekly over the season

49 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Smaller stature WRs are more dependent on scheme and QB play to reach their full potential. In a vaccuum given the choice of big and talented vs small and talented give me the big guy.

In this particular case Thomas directly benefited from facing #2 CBs and single coverage since usually Cooks commanded the focus of the opposing DC.  LA completely sold out to stop Cooks as an example.  

Are you implying that Thomas is a more talented receiver than Cooks?

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Smaller stature WRs are more dependent on scheme and QB play to reach their full potential. In a vaccuum given the choice of big and talented vs small and talented give me the big guy.

In this particular case Thomas directly benefited from facing #2 CBs and single coverage since usually Cooks commanded the focus of the opposing DC.  LA completely sold out to stop Cooks as an example.  

Are you implying that Thomas is a more talented receiver than Cooks?

When they are on the same team and post extremely similar stats that shows me they are similar in talent.

Maybe it's just a compliment to Thomas. I just don't see Cooks as insanely special. If he was Brees would feed him like Big Ben feeds Brown. Who by the way has more reason to pass the ball around as that offense has more talent.

1 person likes this

37 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

When they are on the same team and post extremely similar stats that shows me they are similar in talent.

Maybe it's just a compliment to Thomas. I just don't see Cooks as insanely special. If he was Brees would feed him like Big Ben feeds Brown. 

So you don't put any credence in the idea that Thomas benefited from going against lesser players without double coverage?  And that all the extra attention paid to Cooks by opposing DCs said that they considered him the more dangerous talent?

Ben and Brees are different QBs with different tendencies.  Brees has never been one to force the ball to a specific receiver like Ben does with Brown.

1 person likes this

34 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

I just don't see Cooks as insanely special. If he was Brees would feed him like Big Ben feeds Brown. Who by the way has more reason to pass the ball around as that offense has more talent.

I want to make sure I understand your analogy here.

In your opinion, M.Wheaton, S.Coates, Eli Rogers, or Darius Heyward-Bey are more talented than M.Thomas, W.Snead, Brandon Coleman, and J.James is more talented than C.Fleener?

Is that what I'm to understand when you say that Big Ben has more reason to spread the ball than Brees?

Bell is clearly better than Ingram, although he had 94 targets but dominates his teams RB snaps, whereas Ingram/Hightower/Cadet split theirs for 138 targets to RBs, another 20 to Kuhn.  To be fair, Bell missed 3 games, so lets add in the 27 D.Willy got, for a total of 121.

You're also claiming that Amari Cooper and Michael Crabtree are similar in talent?

Devante Adams and Jordy Nelson?

Eric Decker and Brandon Marshall?

Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders?

*Let me clarify I'm not claiming Cooks is insanely special, I just find your claim that Ben has less reason to forcefeed AB than Brees does Cooks... questionable.  Ignoring defensive attention when comparing 'production' also seems like a huge mistake, but... @96mnc has already responded in that regard, so I'll leave it be.

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

So you don't put any credence in the idea that Thomas benefited from going against lesser players without double coverage?  And that all the extra attention paid to Cooks by opposing DCs said that they considered him the more dangerous talent?

Ben and Brees are different QBs with different tendencies.  Brees has never been one to force the ball to a specific receiver like Ben does with Brown.

I remember everyone saying Alshon was just as good if not better than Marshall when Marshall was in Chicago with most of the defensive attention on him while Michael Thomas errr Jeffrey was going up against much less defensive game planning/attention..

When Marshall left Chicago it was all "Jeffrey is gonna be way better now that Marshall is gone!"

Marshall proceeded to score 14 tds to tie for the league lead the following year...

As I said before the much more athletically gifted Cooks has been way better than everyone's muse Antonio Brown over their first 3 seasons and now Cooks is going to a team who will maximise his gifts so writing him off as a finished product is short sighted..

And all the "Brady will spread it around too much" people should cross Beckham off their draft lists because now with Marshall, a 2nd year Sheppard, and other additional pass catchers Beckham may/will not be targeted as much in 17 as he has been in years past..  

And if Martavis returns, Bell finally plays 16 games and they add anyone else then fantasy darling Antonio Brown should be less targeted since Ben will "spread it around too much"

Obviously I don't think Brown and Beckham are done being top 5 wrs, and I also don't think Cooks will be forgotten about during games like he was in New Orleans way way too often..

2 people like this

2 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Isn't it pretty standard to put your cb1 on their wr2 and then cb2 + help on the best wr? How often was cooks really covered by top corner + help, especially when he's inside?

2 hours ago, jbshaw said:

Isn't it pretty standard to put your cb1 on their wr2 and then cb2 + help on the best wr? How often was cooks really covered by top corner + help, especially when he's inside?

He wasn't inside as much as one would expect due to Snead's presence.  

The defensive alignment you mentioned is actually pretty rare.  The Pats, since they are smart, do it a lot.

I know from studying most games that Thomas got single coverage the vast majority of the time.   

2 hours ago, jbshaw said:

No it isn't...that's a BB strategy that is ingenious and hasn't been copied enough by other teams so far. 

Draft Cooks as a WR #3/4. Simple. No way he is going to produce WR 1/2 stats. Even if 40 YO Brady is all aces this year, there are way too many mouths to feed that he already knows and trusts. For FF, there are prolly 15 WRs that will likely provide more reliable WR production. To me, Cooks in NE is just another RB gamble in NE -- boom or bust, good luck figuring that out.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, General Gannicus said:

I remember everyone saying Alshon was just as good if not better than Marshall when Marshall was in Chicago with most of the defensive attention on him while Michael Thomas errr Jeffrey was going up against much less defensive game planning/attention..

When Marshall left Chicago it was all "Jeffrey is gonna be way better now that Marshall is gone!"

Nobody thought Alshon was as good as Marshall when he was a bear, except maybe his haters after the trade.