smeeze

Brandin Cooks 2017 Season Outlook

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, lbjames6 said:

 

I wish people would stop comparing Brandin Cooks to Randy Moss. Randy Moss is the second greatest receiver of all time. It will not be the same result. 

Fair enough, but where there is no Moss there is Gronk, though different, who knows how it may turn out, considering the weapons Brady will have to work with.  One thing is for sure, IMO, Brady is the guy I want with all these weapons...Wish I had did more research before posting in the bold thread..Still like Carr too. Another subject, pardon me.

Edited by Z06vette

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, psygolf said:

Please stop

Stop what? His stats show as much. He again floundered once leaving NE. I am not taking anything away from Moss; he is the greatest WR of my generation. But you can look at his numbers in NE and they are mostly good/great; everything before and after, not so much. I think it is fair to say that Brady and BB had much to do with this. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Grayson2401 said:

Stop what? His stats show as much. He again floundered once leaving NE. I am not taking anything away from Moss; he is the greatest WR of my generation. But you can look at his numbers in NE and they are mostly good/great; everything before and after, not so much. I think it is fair to say that Brady and BB had much to do with this. 

Let me know the next time Brady throws for 50 tds & BB goes undefeated 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Moss having his best statistical season was more to do with him finally reaching his prime in his 10th season in the NFL? Or is there a very good chance that having (arguably) the greatest QB and head coach of all time had something to do with it? 

 

Back to the topic on hand: Brady and BB have elevated guys throughout their careers. I see no reason they cannot do the same with Cooks.

Edited by Grayson2401

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Let me know the next time Brady throws for 50 tds & BB goes undefeated for 

 

2017

 

 

Edited by Lamont Sanford
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Grayson2401 said:

Stop what? His stats show as much. He again floundered once leaving NE. I am not taking anything away from Moss; he is the greatest WR of my generation. But you can look at his numbers in NE and they are mostly good/great; everything before and after, not so much. I think it is fair to say that Brady and BB had much to do with this. 

 

I'm joining this convo late, so apologies is this was meant to be sarcasm. 

 

If not, maybe the most idiotic thing posted in these forums.  Statistically he was better in Minnesota than he was in New England, even with his monster 23TD 1500 yards in 2007.  

 

The only time he was anything short of hall of fame, greatest WR of all time type of talk, was in Oakland and then the tail end of his career - but that can happen to anyone.  Even in the disaster that was Oakland he still put up 1000 yards and 8TD.  

 

In 6 full season in Minnesota, including his rookie year, he AVERAGED 1400 yards and 13TD's a season.  BB and Brady rejuvenated his career after being stuck in Oakland, and that's all.  You can completely take out his New England years and he's still Hall of Fame.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

 

2017

 

 

T-balled that one

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Grayson2401 said:

So Moss having his best statistical season was more to do with him finally reaching his prime in his 10th season in the NFL? Or is there a very good chance that having (arguably) the greatest QB and head coach of all time had something to do with it? 

 

Back to the topic on hand: Brady and BB have elevated guys throughout their careers. I see no reason they cannot do the same with Cooks.

3 guys had their best seasons ever that year...symbiotic relationships for sure, but one key ingredient/spice without question.

 

The Moss experience gave the patriots hubris that the could do the same thing Ocho Cinco...not so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SpartanEric said:

 

I'm joining this convo late, so apologies is this was meant to be sarcasm. 

 

If not, maybe the most idiotic thing posted in these forums.  Statistically he was better in Minnesota than he was in New England, even with his monster 23TD 1500 yards in 2007.  

 

The only time he was anything short of hall of fame, greatest WR of all time type of talk, was in Oakland and then the tail end of his career - but that can happen to anyone.  Even in the disaster that was Oakland he still put up 1000 yards and 8TD.  

 

In 6 full season in Minnesota, including his rookie year, he AVERAGED 1400 yards and 13TD's a season.  BB and Brady rejuvenated his career after being stuck in Oakland, and that's all.  You can completely take out his New England years and he's still Hall of Fame.  

 

 

He absolutely was better in Minnesota. Nobody is debating that. My argument is that not many other teams or QBs would have provided Moss such a resurgence late in his career like he saw in NE. That's all I am saying. Is it that far-fetched that the greatest QB and coach ever can make players better, elevate their game? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anywho...I still see Cooks' td ceiling at 10 tds...1100-1200yds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, psygolf said:

3 guys had their best seasons ever that year...symbiotic relationships for sure, but one key ingredient/spice without question.

 

The Moss experience gave the patriots hubris that the could do the same thing Ocho Cinco...not so much.

The one key ingredient obviously being video taping, right? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Let me know the next time Brady throws for 50 tds & BB goes undefeated 

 

This is a stupid reply! Nobody made this claim. All people are saying is that Cooks is the 2nd best WR that Tom Brady has ever had. Look at the last time he had a true #1 WR. It was special. Brady was younger then too and Moss was no doubt a step above Cooks, but Brady has made some pretty mediocre WRs (Brown, Branch, Givens, LaFell, Lloyd) have big years and earn contracts they clearly didn't deserve when they went to other destinations. Hell, I don't think Edelman is close to the same player outside the Brady/BB system. 

 

I think Cooks could be a PPR stud. Brady's targets are to his RB, TE and slot WR. Cooks will give him a speedy WR with great hands in the slot, and Brady's style are those quick, short yardage passes to move the chains. I expect BB to get creative and line him up all over the field too, maybe even in the backfield. Edelman went for 98-1106-3 last year. I think Cooks tops all of those numbers. I think you can lock him in expecting 6-7 catches for 70-80 yards with 8-9 TDs sprinkled in throughout the season. Plus he likely has 2-3 games that lock up a W for you. I really think he is a back end WR1 in a 12 team league and certainly in 14-16 teamers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Grayson2401 said:

The one key ingredient obviously being video taping, right? 

idk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Anywho...I still see Cooks' td ceiling at 10 tds...1100-1200yds

 

Ceiling? Come on man, don't be that ignorant.  You are basically saying a 23 year old WR has played at his ceiling his last two seasons and won't improve any now that he has changed to a better team, a better QB and a better HC. That there is zero opportunity for improvement. Just crazy for you to even think that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, burninglegs said:

 

Ceiling? Come on man, don't be that ignorant.  You are basically saying a 23 year old WR has played at his ceiling his last two seasons and won't improve any now that he has changed to a better team, a better QB and a better HC. That there is zero opportunity for improvement. Just crazy for you to even think that.  

"Better Team" because of SB trophies-??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, corey_rideout said:

 

This is a stupid reply! Nobody made this claim. All people are saying is that Cooks is the 2nd best WR that Tom Brady has ever had. Look at the last time he had a true #1 WR. It was special. Brady was younger then too and Moss was no doubt a step above Cooks, but Brady has made some pretty mediocre WRs (Brown, Branch, Givens, LaFell, Lloyd) have big years and earn contracts they clearly didn't deserve when they went to other destinations. Hell, I don't think Edelman is close to the same player outside the Brady/BB system. 

 

I think Cooks could be a PPR stud. Brady's targets are to his RB, TE and slot WR. Cooks will give him a speedy WR with great hands in the slot, and Brady's style are those quick, short yardage passes to move the chains. I expect BB to get creative and line him up all over the field too, maybe even in the backfield. Edelman went for 98-1106-3 last year. I think Cooks tops all of those numbers. I think you can lock him in expecting 6-7 catches for 70-80 yards with 8-9 TDs sprinkled in throughout the season. Plus he likely has 2-3 games that lock up a W for you. I really think he is a back end WR1 in a 12 team league and certainly in 14-16 teamers.

You missed the context & point of the post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I can see cooks yards go up to 1300 1400, but I feel his tds will hover around 10  since around the rz gronk and Edelman  are going to really snag some, along with whomever is in the backfield. Unless Brady really pushes it to cooks as much as he can but that's how I see it happening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

Personally I can see cooks yards go up to 1300 1400, but I feel his tds will hover around 10  since around the rz gronk and Edelman  are going to really snag some, along with whomever is in the backfield. Unless Brady really pushes it to cooks as much as he can but that's how I see it happening. 

Where do I sign up for 1,300-1,400 yards and ten TDs from a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Grayson2401 said:

Where do I sign up for 1,300-1,400 yards and ten TDs from a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick?

 

Send me check for 49.99 and you can sign up. PM me for address.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, psygolf said:

"Better Team" because of SB trophies-??

 

Bet you are one of those kids that says Brady isn't one of the top QB's of all time or that BB isn't one of the greatest coaches ever.

 

You don't think that even when he was completely ignored some games in NO and produced the numbers that he did, he wouldn't be able to surpass that? Brady may have plenty of weapons, but he also has his favorite targets. BB knows he can use Cooks out of the back field as well with those ******** bubble screens (albeit extremely annoying) but consistently used. Cooks could be part of that as well. Brady s issue is that he has been overthrowing guys a lot the past years and people haven't been able to get underneath. Cooks is fast, really ******** fast.

 

So where are you from? Indi or Atlanta?

Edited by S1mcity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really feel some here are really bias to cooks and I'm guessing it's because he's in their team but here's the deal, I'm a cooks fan and I love his situation. But Brady also has Edelman and gronk, plus he loves to utilize someone like dion perhaps or a white, for his passing attack as well.  

Cooks will get his, but let's see first before really speculating a godly season. I feel he can more success, but how much more will depend on how much Brady still leans on his most trusted targets in Edelman and gronk. 

Edit: I see my bend over comment was removed, hope it was clear I was just funning around... Used a Clark Griswold line 

Edited by Savatage79

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

I really feel some here are really bias to cooks and I'm guessing it's because he's in their team but here's the deal, I'm a cooks fan and I love his situation. But Brady also has Edelman and gronk, plus he loves to utilize someone like dion perhaps or a white, for his passing attack as well.  

Cooks will get his, but let's see first before really speculating a godly season. I feel he can more success, but how much more will depend on how much Brady still leans on his most trusted targets in Edelman and gronk. 

Edit: I see my bend over comment was removed, hope it was clear I was just funning around... Used a Clark Griswold line 

I have yet to draft but he is a serious target for me at the 18th pick of a ten team PPR. He is probably one of the safer WR picks once the first tier is off the board. I would not be the least bit disappointed if he puts up to similar numbers as he did in NO. Anything more is icing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with that easily, I feel he will at worst do a little better all around with Brady. But definitely has a higher ceiling in NE. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Savatage79 said:

Personally I can see cooks yards go up to 1300 1400, but I feel his tds will hover around 10  since around the rz gronk and Edelman  are going to really snag some, along with whomever is in the backfield. Unless Brady really pushes it to cooks as much as he can but that's how I see it happening. 

Agree with this except for the fact that Edelman will steal some TDs, Last year without gronk or cooks Edelman only had 3 TDs so I don't think he is a concern to steal TDs.

Edited by Ddam2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, psygolf said:

"Better Team" because of SB trophies-??

 

I know people use SB wins to say which team is better than another. It has some merit since at the end, all NFL teams want to win the SB. But that really wasn't what I was getting at. While Brees and Payton are a great QB and HC combo, Brady and BB are two of the best at their respective positions. Not to mention NE's ability to draft and develop players + take average players and make them great players in the Patriots system. Something about the culture at NE and the way they run things. They really extract the full potential out of their players. Or at least the players that buy into the system and actually work hard to better themselves. The ones that don't buy into the system don't last long and are either traded, not given a new contract, cut or just aren't on the Patriots radar for players to add to the team. 

 

 

1 hour ago, Savatage79 said:

Personally I can see cooks yards go up to 1300 1400, but I feel his tds will hover around 10  since around the rz gronk and Edelman  are going to really snag some, along with whomever is in the backfield. Unless Brady really pushes it to cooks as much as he can but that's how I see it happening. 

 

Cooks floor could obviously be zero if he gets injured in game one. But realistically I see Cooks season targets wise as: 

 

Floor: ~65-75 targets

Most likely: ~125-135 targets

Ceiling: ~170-175 targets

 

You can plug and play his career catch rate (68%), his career yards per reception (13.3 yards) and his career TD rate (9.3%) to get a rough idea of what he could potentially do this season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.