elite

Carlos Hyde 2017 Season Outlook

IF he can stay healthy. And that's a pretty big IF with this guy. Personally, I don't think It's a question of IF. The question is WHEN. 

Edited by Sonny_D

Amazing! The rookie the coach was so called 'all-in' on couldnt get the back up job and is now protected on IR and the trade that was going to send him to another team never happened and the new offensive scheme that was supposed to 'struggle' in he adapted quickly to.  Oh yeah and he had plays featured as a runner and pass catcher in preseason. Hyde is the pure bonafide every down rb who will see volume with both touches and targets

What more do people need to have happen before they accept him as a potential stud? You have rookies like fournette,dalvin,mccaff priced to perfection and Hyde has a 1st round ceiling at a 4th rd price.

Edited by dashoe

It's because in 3 seasons he's only had one decent season, and the rest of the time he was hurt. The other rookies just have no track record to base things on, but that for me is my issue with Hyde. Sure on paper it looks so awesome but come game time is always a bit different, plus it just seems he's always ailing and everyone is scrambling for his replacements. 

6 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

It's because in 3 seasons he's only had one decent season, and the rest of the time he was hurt. The other rookies just have no track record to base things on, but that for me is my issue with Hyde. Sure on paper it looks so awesome but come game time is always a bit different, plus it just seems he's always ailing and everyone is scrambling for his replacements. 

i completely understand the injury concern however that concern applies to all NFL players. For example Fournette has only played 1 preseason game due to injury yet he hasnt dropped into the 4th rd as a result. injuries and rb's go hand in hand which is why there are so many people who use zero-rb.  My view is if a guy makes it through the offseason with zero injuries I remove the injury question mark and if he has an injury I put a question mark next to his name and draft accordingly. Currently freeman+fournette+ajayi are on the that question mark list.  Preseason injuries are a red flag for me because they just dont magically go away just becuase ur cleared to play.

Just now, dashoe said:

i completely understand the injury concern however that concern applies to all NFL players. For example Fournette has only played 1 preseason game due to injury yet he hasnt dropped into the 4th rd as a result. injuries and rb's go hand in hand which is why there are so many people who use zero-rb.  My view is if a guy makes it through the offseason with zero injuries I remove the injury question mark and if he has an injury I put a question mark next to his name and draft accordingly. Currently freeman+fournette+ajayi are on the that question mark list.  Preseason injuries are a red flag for me because they just dont magically go away just becuase ur cleared to play.

It's not really injury concern just overall non excitement for San Fran players currently. That is a big factor for me in general, and it's also why I don't lean towards many players on other bad teams including Jax. I like to stay closer to the high powered offensive teams and niners have not been an exciting team in recent years at all so that along with the fact that Hyde hasn't done a whole lot yet, is why I just have no gusto for him and maybe others feel the same.

8 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

It's not really injury concern just overall non excitement for San Fran players currently. That is a big factor for me in general, and it's also why I don't lean towards many players on other bad teams including Jax. I like to stay closer to the high powered offensive teams and niners have not been an exciting team in recent years at all so that along with the fact that Hyde hasn't done a whole lot yet, is why I just have no gusto for him and maybe others feel the same.

Completely new coaching staff and offensive system. Throw out how unexciting they were in recent years. Whether Houston, Washington, or Atlanta, the Shanahan offense became high powered pretty quickly. There's more upside to SF players than any other bad team.

30 minutes ago, Chardo said:

Completely new coaching staff and offensive system. Throw out how unexciting they were in recent years. Whether Houston, Washington, or Atlanta, the Shanahan offense became high powered pretty quickly. There's more upside to SF players than any other bad team.

My thoughts too. I think the Shanny Niners will surprise some people. They may not win on a lot of games, but I don't think they're going to be as bad as everyone thinks. Certainly from a fantasy perspective, I expect some very relevant players, like Hyde, Garçon, and even Brian Hoyer. This offense will be aggressive, vertical, and they'll take their shots. That opens the lanes for Hyde.

8 minutes ago, CooL said:

My thoughts too. I think the Shanny Niners will surprise some people. They may not win on a lot of games, but I don't think they're going to be as bad as everyone thinks. Certainly from a fantasy perspective, I expect some very relevant players, like Hyde, Garçon, and even Brian Hoyer. This offense will be aggressive, vertical, and they'll take their shots. That opens the lanes for Hyde.

+1

What shouldn't be disregarded is that Hyde shined in a similar zone blocking scheme in college. It wasn't until Harbaugh that Hyde became known as a power runner after being drafted to take over for Gore. Chip Kelly loved his inside/outside zone runs and Hyde looked very good in that offense. Then some blurber wrote Hyde will have a tough time to adjust under Shanahan and most pundits jumped on it. I knew from the beginning that Hyde will be a decent fit. He has that one cut and go move in him you need in Shanahan's offense. Once he gets up to speed he is so tough to bring down and that's exactly what their zone scheme enables him to do, it gives you time to build up your speed once you make the cut.

The only question I have with Hyde is health. But he reported to camp in amazing shape, so there's hope he can finally avoid these issues.

Hyde's health is always a dice roll. But he can be a top-10 RB if he stays healthy all season. If he misses a few games he will end the season as a top-20 RB like last season (standard scoring). Even in PPR he would be a good bet to maintain his rankings from last season because he will get more receptions in Shanny's offense.

People are going to avoid the hydes and even fournette when injury concerns are high based on track records 

Hyde feels like this seasons version of DeMarco Murray from 2016. If he stays healthy, he finishes above Gurley, Howard, Ajayi, Fournette, Cook, McC imo.

1 hour ago, CooL said:

I've nabbed Hoyer late in most my leagues, and Marquise Goodwin too. As for Hyde, I own him in three of the four leagues I've drafted so far, and the only one I don't is cause a Niners fan snagged him in the 2nd.

1 hour ago, CooL said:

Agree, and I've been trying to find a way to stash Hoyer on the end of my bench before the season starts.  I think he'll be a good play in plus matchups this year.  This offense looked excellent on the road against what is supposed to be a top 5 Defense in Minnesota.  Their defense is suspect which only helps matters.  

Yea new coaching staff is great, hopefully by next year after seeing everything working alot better I'll feel differently. Just not ready to knock down old ladies and anyone in my path for Hyde yet for how well it looks on paper. 

11 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

Yea new coaching staff is great, hopefully by next year after seeing everything working alot better I'll feel differently. Just not ready to knock down old ladies and anyone in my path for Hyde yet for how well it looks on paper. 

Thankfully his price tag isn't necessarily old lady tackling level.  Took him in a PPR auction last night...

Kareen Hunt $32

Demarco $42

CMC $41

Jordon Howard $42

Dalvin Cook $27

Hyde $28

Gurley $36

I'm buying on Shanahan here.  If Hyde stays healthy it's tough to see him outside the top 12 RBs.  At that price, worth the risk to me. 

3 minutes ago, tsh00k said:

Thankfully his price tag isn't necessarily old lady tackling level.  Took him in a PPR auction last night...

Kareen Hunt $32

Demarco $42

CMC $41

Jordon Howard $42

Dalvin Cook $27

Hyde $28

Gurley $36

I'm buying on Shanahan here.  If Hyde stays healthy it's tough to see him outside the top 12 RBs.  At that price, worth the risk to me. 

Yea but it all depends some leagues he's going early some a bit later. My point is for those just a million percent convinced he's going to explode I just am not on the same page is all. And it's San Fran, it's been nothing but a wasteland in terms of players I ever want so that doesn't help the cause either. But we will see. He just seems like the type that injuries will always hold him back. 

Edited by Savatage79

19 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

If he drops to end of 4th/early 5th, you gotta take him imo.

4 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

If he drops to end of 4th/early 5th, you gotta take him imo.

Yea at that point, I'm fine with that but just my plan is going into a draft where I simply fill the gaps so that I don't have to is all. Just not sold on him and that team yet, but all it takes for me is to just see things progress and I will happily change my pov if everything flows better on that team. 

41 minutes ago, tsh00k said:

Kareen Hunt $32

Demarco $42

CMC $41

Jordon Howard $42

Dalvin Cook $27

Hyde $28

Gurley $36

Man every time I see CMCs value I laugh. Him, Mixon, and Hill lead the "way overhyped" train.

7 hours ago, FreakFries said:

I am of the exact same opinion when it comes to your take on RB2 do I am curious to hear your take on how you would view Doug Martin once he comes back compared to Hyde and the other RB2s you mentioned. Thanks

He's in the Gurley, Hyde, and Miller tier right below the Ajayi and Murray tier.

Martin fits the high potential high risk narrative like those 3 guys. However, their risk compared to guys like CMC and TY is not only lower, their ceiling is higher and their projected out put is higher putting them easily above that group of players. Everyone other than DJ and Bell carry somewhat high risk. 

41 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

Yea at that point, I'm fine with that but just my plan is going into a draft where I simply fill the gaps so that I don't have to is all. Just not sold on him and that team yet, but all it takes for me is to just see things progress and I will happily change my pov if everything flows better on that team. 

4th/5th is a nobrainer for me. He played at a high level last season (RB1) before injury. If he can stay healthy he should repeat that, even improve on it. Even if for some reason he gets injured early in the season or busts, a 4th/5th round pick might hurt but definitely isn't insurmountable for the rest of season. Now if he hits and ends up being a RB1 that you got at a 4th/5th round value, you have a game changer for your team (assuming you drafted well elsewhere).

11 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

4th/5th is a nobrainer for me. He played at a high level last season (RB1) before injury. If he can stay healthy he should repeat that, even improve on it. Even if for some reason he gets injured early in the season or busts, a 4th/5th round pick might hurt but definitely isn't insurmountable for the rest of season. Now if he hits and ends up being a RB1 that you got at a 4th/5th round value, you have a game changer for your team (assuming you drafted well elsewhere).

I hear ya, I just always bank on finding those rb1 or wr1 type production pickups on the wire as well which are game changers for a team assuming my core is still putting up their normal big numbers. I think it's also just that we gravitate to certain players and teams more than others and I just need to see san Fran in a more positive light a bit before my mind most likely changes.