elemenohpee

MLB.tv deals 2017

I called MLB Advanced Media, asked for a discount. They said none were available. I called back and got a different rep. Asked for where to input a promo code I found online, said none currently work outside of partnerships with subscription services like Baseball Prospectus.

In an 0-2 count, staring at a month of no MLB.TV, I scored the full season for 99.99.

I pulled the "I've been a customer for years" card and it worked. So guys - call and complain if you can't wait.

• Like 1

I have to say, the streaming quality on my Xbox One is terrible. Looks like it has a pastel overlay or something, very pixelated. And it's literally delayed by a full minute or more. My CBS scoring is updated to show an at-bat as being over, and I'm still looking at commercial break in progress.

Edited by holyBrowns

I watch MLBtv on PS3, does anyone else have an issue with it freezing every couple of seconds? So annoying.

I watch MLBtv on PS3, does anyone else have an issue with it freezing every couple of seconds? So annoying.

Their live streams will have frame rate issues as well as resolution drop off (in and out of HD) quite frequently. Nothing that makes it unwatchable but things that can be annoying to us spoiled 720p HD fiends.

I had that problem too today... It would actually skip back in time every now and then too, and do it over and over again. I got pretty annoyed, so I stopped watching on the PS3. I think it honestly has something to do with the range of my wi-fi connection. Before you guys start blaming MLB.TV (and I feel like hating on it for being behind is kind of stupid, because I've had it for a while, and it's always been behind), check your network connection and see if your device is getting as good signal as possible.

I have an Apple TV on the second floor of my three story house (basement, main floor, upstairs), and my Apple Airport Express router streams the games perfectly in crystal clear HD on my 55" LED TV, and on my laptop and iPad it streams pretty darn well too. I honestly feel like it's mainly dependent (as long as the MLB service is working properly) on your network speeds, and the signal strength that your device is getting.

You want at least a 15MBps if you're trying to stream at a nice, consistent level where it won't skip, look pixelated and crappy, etc.

• Like 1

Their live streams will have frame rate issues as well as resolution drop off (in and out of HD) quite frequently. Nothing that makes it unwatchable but things that can be annoying to us spoiled 720p HD fiends.

Which sometimes the best way to maintain your frame rate when they have high volume or bad feeds is to manually cut the HD. Which sometimes is just fun to do anyway, gives me the sense of being in a time machine.

One thing I will say. The past few years MLB.tv had more frame rate streaming issues in the early parts of the season than in the later parts. They probably sold the s--- out of MLB.tv as I can't see many people buying it and then not continuing the service. My favorite thing to buy every year.

Once they get used to the stress their servers are taking and figure out how to handle it better you'll see less of it.

Got it Monday, tried it on the PS3 but was skipping a bit and disconnecting.

Very disappointed by the Android app... for one, it pauses indefinitely on commercials, you have to manually FF or rewind or use the slider, very annoying. Second, I got a VPN and it doesn't work on Android AFAIK. The Android app insists you turn on the google location services to use it, so I get blacked out and can't watch my home team at work.

Gonna try calling them and asking for discount or threaten cancellation.

Got it Monday, tried it on the PS3 but was skipping a bit and disconnecting.

Very disappointed by the Android app... for one, it pauses indefinitely on commercials, you have to manually FF or rewind or use the slider, very annoying. Second, I got a VPN and it doesn't work on Android AFAIK. The Android app insists you turn on the google location services to use it, so I get blacked out and can't watch my home team at work.

Gonna try calling them and asking for discount or threaten cancellation.

MLB At Bat app works great for me.

Virtually all of the complaints I'm seeing in this thread are for PS3 users. A few XBOne ones too. My PS4 and Xbox both stream just fine, with the PS4 delivering crisp HD picture and the least amount of delay. First thing I would check is that your bandwidth isn't capped on your internet. If it is, that means that you're likely not going to get a very high download speed on your internet. ISP's love to cap your bandwidth without letting you know. I'd suggest buying a switch to connect to your router. I bought one of those by Linksys and I've had uncapped bandwidth for a few years now.

Edited by lbjames6
  • Like 2

Feel like MLB.TV works best on a Apple TV with a great connection, iPad, or the laptop. It is pretty s---y on the iPhone app and PS3, but once again, if you guys don't have a fast internet connection and good signal, you guys can't really be complaining about how s---y the frame rate and video quality is.

• Like 1

AtBat app on iPad went into some weird loop today while watching a game. It would jump to live for five seconds and then go back a minute or so. Back to live, rinse and repeat. It was unusable. Internet speed is not an issue, mlb.tv hasn't been this buggy in the three years I have had it.

Edited by vmo1059

I use Apple TV and for the most part it works great. Once in a while I get some lag issues but when it works, it is really nice.

I feel like for Apple devices this product works best. I love it on my iPhone and iPad, and have yet to try it for the Apply TV but I have heard good things. When I go to use it for Xbox one it just doesn't work well at all. Laggy and slow.

I've mostly been using my ipad so far as I usually watch my team on tv and then surf the other games on my ipad. For those new to this the PS3 app has been an absolute mess for at least 3 years. There will be known bugs and their only solution ever is to revert back to a previous version and they never fix anything. Release another version the following year that doesn't work, rinse and repeat.

I've recently bought an HTPC so thankfully i don't have to use the PS3 anymore. I installed Windows 8 on it and tried the Windows 8 app but it is also garbage so I guess I'll just be using the web version.

It's sad that they haven't been able to improve the apps over the course of like 5 years. On the PS3 app oh say maybe 4 or 5 years ago they used to have a "jump to" inning feature that was awesome for watching games after they were over. That hasn't worked properly in years and they've done nothing to fix it. Also on the ps3 and I also noticed on the windows 8 app when you watch an archived game the beginning it has this huge "will begin shortly" lag that is way longer than the time the broadcast starts until the actual game starts. So you end up fast forwarding and get annoyed so you move big chunks at a time and all of a sudden you're in the 3rd inning and you already know the score so no point watching the first 2.

Just as a FYI, I've been running into the annoying problem of video lag when using the "new" player that doesn't require NextDef. I've found it runs anywhere from 1-4 pitches behind, which sucks when trying to follow the games live with your fantasy team. The StatTracker basically acts as a spoiler. The "old" player is still online and it always played the games truly live when used without NextDef (obviously removing the DVR capability, but whatever). If you want to use the old player, launch the games from this link: http://mlb.mlb.com/mediacenter/index.jsp?nexdef=true

• Like 2

Anybody withh Fios have success activating the mlb.tv package that supposedly came with the MLB Extra Innings? Any information regarding this would truly be appreciated.

Just as a FYI, I've been running into the annoying problem of video lag when using the "new" player that doesn't require NextDef. I've found it runs anywhere from 1-4 pitches behind, which sucks when trying to follow the games live with your fantasy team. The StatTracker basically acts as a spoiler. The "old" player is still online and it always played the games truly live when used without NextDef (obviously removing the DVR capability, but whatever). If you want to use the old player, launch the games from this link: http://mlb.mlb.com/m...jsp?nexdef=true

Thanks - I rarely use the DVR anyway, and I'm getting annoyed with the lag.

How do you use the chromecast since it only lets you broadcast a tab, when I open up the mlb.tv window with the game it takes away the chromecast button on the window?

Figured it out- you have to broadcast the whole screen (which sucks because now you can't use your laptop for other stuff.)

New problem is the video on my tv is unbearably laggy and choppy. I have 50 download per second, internet is good...

Edited by Wombat

How do you use the chromecast since it only lets you broadcast a tab, when I open up the mlb.tv window with the game it takes away the chromecast button on the window?

Figured it out- you have to broadcast the whole screen (which sucks because now you can't use your laptop for other stuff.)

New problem is the video on my tv is unbearably laggy and choppy. I have 50 download per second, internet is good...

MLB.tv only requires about 4 mbps, give a few more for a safety net and your internet isn't the issue. Could be other factors like routing, packet loss and what not. Haven't checked recently but in the past my speed tests to the mlb servers extremely under perform my speed tests anywhere else. Just another issue they refuse to acknowledge.

Try a hard wired connection from your router to whatever you're using it to run on your tv to rule out the router as the issue.

Just as a FYI, I've been running into the annoying problem of video lag when using the "new" player that doesn't require NextDef. I've found it runs anywhere from 1-4 pitches behind, which sucks when trying to follow the games live with your fantasy team. The StatTracker basically acts as a spoiler. The "old" player is still online and it always played the games truly live when used without NextDef (obviously removing the DVR capability, but whatever). If you want to use the old player, launch the games from this link: http://mlb.mlb.com/m...jsp?nexdef=true

yeah this has been really annoying. everything else is great. so you're saying with the old player, it's live, but we lose DVR capabilities? I actually like the DVR so if I missed a great play from one of my guys i can go into the game and rewind.

also last year i had some problems that were really annoying. example, lets say i open the tigers game, and i want to switch to dodgers game, well that was fine, until i wanted to switch back to tigers game, and it just would never let me. it wouldn't load, and i'd have to close program (losing my picture in picture games etc) and load tigers game. this year that problem is no longer, and i can toggle through games repeatedly in any order, multiples times back to same game etc. so i'm loving the new version this year, but this time delay might be too much for me to bear. like you, i frequent box scores and mlb gameday as i'm watching, and this becomes frustrating when trying to avoid key information that's already taken place.