Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elemenohpee

MLB.tv deals 2017

Anyone else having an issue with the audio overlay? It keeps cutting back to the TV broadcast when I want the radio broadcast overlay... very annoying.

How do you even get the audio overlay. Had MLB TV for 3-4 years and have never seen it. Do I have to run NexDef version?

MLB.TV's been pretty laggy for me. Anyone else having problems?

Anyone else having an issue with the audio overlay? It keeps cutting back to the TV broadcast when I want the radio broadcast overlay... very annoying.

How do you even get the audio overlay. Had MLB TV for 3-4 years and have never seen it. Do I have to run NexDef version?

There is an audio overlay box next to the broadcast options. I'm using the new MLB.TV media player but I think it's available on the old one as well.

No lag on my phone. But on my TV and computer they both have lag. And the TV version will just randomly crash sometimes

YES. It's quite maddening. Keeps freezing/lagging even if I don't have any other programs running on my machine. I can't imagine it's my connection since it happens on the PS4 too and my internet should be decent enough to stream one game.

Too bad they have a fricking monopoly on the product.

I've been watching via a Roku this year.It's the first time ever that I haven't had problems.

It's been better overall with the new video player, for me anyway. I don't have any lag issues, but once in a while the broadcast will hang and I have to hit the Live button to shake it up. My internet connection is real good, so it isn't a problem on my end to my knowledge.

Is it worth the money. In terms of lagging and frustration ?

Usually about now they start offering discounts,so yeah.

Is it worth the money. In terms of lagging and frustration ?

I'm a fan, especially being an A's fan on the East Coast. Really the biggest problem for me is it is about 10-15 seconds behind live, so in big moments I have a hard time not cheating and pulling up the mlb app on my phone to see what happens first.

But overall I don't really have the lag issues (I use mt PS4 to watch the games)

Home team games get blacked out right? I'm one of those people thinking about dumping cable, getting MLB.Tv, Netflix, HBO Now but don't want to miss my Cubs. I live in Chicago, would I ever be able to watch the Cubs on MLB.TV?

Home team games get blacked out right? I'm one of those people thinking about dumping cable, getting MLB.Tv, Netflix, HBO Now but don't want to miss my Cubs. I live in Chicago, would I ever be able to watch the Cubs on MLB.TV?

They do blackout the local games. But I have heard there are ways around that, I've never done it, but think you have to change your address or something in your mlb account, a quick google search I'm sure will give you the details.

They do blackout the local games. But I have heard there are ways around that, I've never done it, but think you have to change your address or something in your mlb account, a quick google search I'm sure will give you the details.

Use a VPN to get around it. It's does become very laggy though. Not sure of any other ways.

The game isn't blacked out for me. This is the weird part though, I lose visiting team feed.. I lose the mlb.tvstation feed also. Hope you were talking about the package deal.

Use a VPN to get around it. It's does become very laggy though. Not sure of any other ways.

Hola use to be great before people found out they were selling our info. Not sure if theres a replacement.

Anyone using the new media player on the browser? I prefer the old layout better

I'm a cheapskate, so I didn't buy until it was $9.99 ROS last month. I've primarily used the PS3 app, and it is great; very intuitive.

I've had problems with the new version not resizing properly when going back-and-forth to full screen views. Firefox would stay with the full screen size when returned to the browser tab (even in the Mini window, so you get a nice closeup of the score bug); Chrome would go full screen on the first attempt, but stay with the in-browser size on subsequent attempts to return to full screen. I also have not figured out how to go back to an earlier point in a live game in the new player. Is it even possible?

I just tried the old player today for the first time, and it is much better at all of this. It's closer to the PS3 app experience by a long shot.

So I was really enjoying the old-school highlights that they started showing during the commercial breaks this evening!...

That is, until I realized that they have like the same 15 highlights that they cycle though. I think I've seen the same Glenallen Hill home run three times over the course of the game I'm watching.

Still very curious why they can't sell the commercial break time to advertisers. Seems like they *could* make some money and *may* be able to pass on savings to the consumers-- not only that, but they could likely bring in more subscribers if it was cheaper(although I would imagine something like this is fairly inelastic).

Probably some contract with the RSNs prohibiting this?

For those who don't have MLB.TV, all the games are free to watch this final weekend.

Just received a very lengthy email about a recently-settled class action lawsuit against MLB that will affect this year's offering. From the email:

The lawsuit alleges that the territorial allocation of broadcast rights within MLB assigned to each of its member clubs and thereafter sold to regional sports networks violated federal antitrust laws, provides out-of-market consumers with fewer choices, and inflates prices charged to view broadcasts of live professional baseball games.

As part of the settlement, the price of MLB.tv is dropping to $109.99 (from last year's price of $129.99) and cannot be raised more than 3% per year through 2020. Also, you can now buy single-team packages for $84.99 for the season. Additionally, there is now a "Follow Your Team" add-on that will allow you to receive an out-of-market team's broadcast without any blackouts, even if they're playing an in-market team (an active TV subscription that includes your local regional sports network is required). Looks like that will be an additional $10.

We've all complained about the MLB blackout rules for years. Looks like we may have some options for that moving forward. In the meantime, I'll gladly take the price cut.

Fangraphs has been writing articles following this, last I heard it really didn't change anything. You'll still have to have paid for cable to be eligible for the add on, so cord cutters aren't happy

And the price cut is supposedly short term, iirc something like three years from now it's expected to go up past what it is now. Could be wrong on that, but on phone o can't double check right now. We'll see I suppose