BlakeP42

Odell Beckham Jr 2017 Season Outlook

2 minutes ago, Heartbreak said:

Not as much of a disaster as one would think with his upside.  Disaster is defined as an early exit to the season aka DJ and ARob

ARob? You mean that 6th round pick? I doubt that is a disaster for anyone. An inconvenience? Sure. But disaster is far from it.

Just now, burninglegs said:

ARob? You mean that 6th round pick? I doubt that is a disaster for anyone. An inconvenience? Sure. But disaster is far from it.

Not comparing ARob to a 1st rounder, but emphasizing that using the word "disaster" is a little extreme.  He is trending in the right direction and some think the sky is falling.  Long season.  He'll get right.

1 minute ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

Hopefully he doesn't reaggregate it or make it even worse by playing before he should. 

31 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

It's a 6-8 week injury for a normal human being.

He's an NFL player with top of the line treatment, blessed genetics, and youth. If he's ok to play, he's ok to play. And you are going to start him even if he has a remote shot at playing.

He's motivated this year and really wants to light up the league. He also wants to get paid the most in the league for a WR.

He'll have roughly 4 weeks to heal. There's no way he's sitting.

OK smart guy. They told you he is doubtful. Start him if you want.  

OBJ barely escaped season ending injury with that hit. Anybody that saw the severity of that impact knew it was worse than a regular sprain. If he's saying it's a 6-8 week injury (severe high ankle sprain), you have to seriously consider it. I have alternatives. 

You are letting your emotions get in the way.

5 minutes ago, Conscious Pilot said:

Yep. Dr. Chao was right on this all along. 

I heard Doug Gotlieb on fox sports radio today, say there are rumors he was seen at a nightclub with Russell Westbrook having a, "Dance Off".. all while he is rehabbing his High ankle sprain?? Not a good look at all. Just rumors, but these rumors often become true..

9 minutes ago, Conscious Pilot said:

OBJ barely escaped season ending injury with that hit. Anybody that saw the severity of that impact knew it was worse than a regular sprain. If he's saying it's a 6-8 week injury (severe high ankle sprain), you have to seriously consider it. I have alternatives. 

Its not going to be a 6-8 week injury, chill. They wouldnt have let him warmup sunday night if that was the timetable

Well. I think he likes to exaggerate (maybe even bragging with) his injury and wants to be in the middle of the spotlights. As far as I understand from quotes, haven't seen footage (whereas he could be reframed by reporters), he said he HAS a 6-8 week injury, which by all means doesn't mean he NEEDS those 6-8 weeks. Some humans heal up quick, some don't. I think he feels fine, as I've seen in those training video's, and that's the reason he said he HAS a 6-8 weeks injury while he knows he's on the right track back.

FWIW; I have had a lot of ankle injuries in my athletic carreer and dealing with a high ankle sprain right now as well. Most of those need time to heal, especially for quick stopping, cutting and changing of routes. A high ankle sprain means he should have a hard time cutting outside (seen from the ankle), so if right ankle, it's hard to turn right and left it's hard to turn left on high speeds. It's also difficult to jump and land on that injured ankle with full force, since it's weak. I saw him jumping, but no cutting. 

Also; I can't believe a professional medical staff would let him jump and let him work in individual drills with (according to those quotes) a 6-8 week injury that happened 24 days ago. 

Edited by the holy one

Prepare for at least one more week of no OBJ

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20704509/odell-beckham-new-york-giants-returns-practice-dealing-6-8-week-injury

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Odell Beckham Jr. returned to practice in a limited capacity Thursday, revealing that he's dealing with a six- to eight-week injury timeline for his ankle that has already cost him the New York Giants' season opener against the Dallas Cowboys.

It has been 24 days since Beckham went down following an ugly preseason hit that bent his left leg inward on a Monday night against the Cleveland Browns. The Giants play the Detroit Lions this Monday night, exactly four weeks since the injury.

Beckham, despite testing the ankle before the Giants' 19-3 loss to the Cowboys, wasn't really close to playing Sunday because he hadn't practiced all week.

"I don't really know how realistic it was," Beckham said. "As bad as I wanted to play, it just wasn't there. It had been three weeks after the injury. It hasn't even been a month since it happened. This is a six- to eight-week thing. Unfortunately, as much as I was trying my hardest to get there, it just wasn't enough time."

The Giants' top playmaker is making progress as he practiced Thursday for the first time since the injury.

"It felt good. It felt good just to be back out there," Beckham said. "Something about -- it's just when you put that helmet on, it's a different mode. When you put the helmet on and go out there and warm up and when we got to individuals, I was running routes. I was feeling pretty good.

"So, like I said, we're definitely taking major strides in the right direction. It's a matter of time."

Beckham was running, jumping and cutting better and more freely during practice Thursday.

It will be important to see how he bounces back for the Giants' longest and most physical practice of the week on Friday, but there seemed to be optimism that he will play against the Lions.

"More than last week," coach Ben McAdoo said. "We got him out there [to practice]."

It helps the Giants have the extra day since they're playing Monday night. While his teammates had Monday and Tuesday off, Beckham concentrated on treatment those days.

Beckham again wouldn't say whether he was dealing with a high ankle sprain. The Giants have simply called it an ankle injury and never detailed a timeframe for his return.

"I'm not a doctor, really," Beckham said. "I don't know how long it is. I'm just -- there's guidelines. It could be four to 12 weeks. You never know. Everybody heals differently."

The rehab process for Beckham has been extensive. That doesn't mean it has been enjoyable. He watched his teammates flop in the season opener against the Cowboys. The Giants had two first downs in the first half and finished with three points.

Beckham wanted to play Sunday. He wants to play Monday against the Lions, and said he's doing everything possible to make it happen.

"I personally don't want to get up at 6:30 every morning, get here for 7 o'clock treatment. The days we have off, I'm here at 10 o'clock for treatment. I go home, I do 5-6 hours of treatment," Beckham said. "It's boring. It's not fun. Nobody wants to do that and definitely work all offseason and everything to get to Dallas and have to sit there. So I'm itching to get back on the field."

He also warned he didn't want this to be like his rookie season, when he returned early from a hamstring injury and suffered a setback. 

"It's like when I had the hamstring injury and you come back. You don't know if it's too early or not, and it gets reinjured and you set yourself back for another 5-6 weeks. I don't have that luxury right now," Beckham said. "So it's a matter of getting to a point where you know you're confident in it, it's confident in itself and you can go. And you don't have to worry about it."

Edited by jspeed

5 minutes ago, jspeed said:

Prepare for at least one more week of no OBJ

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20704509/odell-beckham-new-york-giants-returns-practice-dealing-6-8-week-injury

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Odell Beckham Jr. returned to practice in a limited capacity Thursday, revealing that he's dealing with a six- to eight-week injury timeline for his ankle that has already cost him the New York Giants' season opener against the Dallas Cowboys.

It has been 24 days since Beckham went down following an ugly preseason hit that bent his left leg inward on a Monday night against the Cleveland Browns. The Giants play the Detroit Lions this Monday night, exactly four weeks since the injury.

Beckham, despite testing the ankle before the Giants' 19-3 loss to the Cowboys, wasn't really close to playing Sunday because he hadn't practiced all week.

"I don't really know how realistic it was," Beckham said. "As bad as I wanted to play, it just wasn't there. It had been three weeks after the injury. It hasn't even been a month since it happened. This is a six- to eight-week thing. Unfortunately, as much as I was trying my hardest to get there, it just wasn't enough time."

The Giants' top playmaker is making progress as he practiced Thursday for the first time since the injury.

"It felt good. It felt good just to be back out there," Beckham said. "Something about -- it's just when you put that helmet on, it's a different mode. When you put the helmet on and go out there and warm up and when we got to individuals, I was running routes. I was feeling pretty good.

"So, like I said, we're definitely taking major strides in the right direction. It's a matter of time."

Beckham was running, jumping and cutting better and more freely during practice Thursday.

It will be important to see how he bounces back for the Giants' longest and most physical practice of the week on Friday, but there seemed to be optimism that he will play against the Lions.

"More than last week," coach Ben McAdoo said. "We got him out there [to practice]."

It helps the Giants have the extra day since they're playing Monday night. While his teammates had Monday and Tuesday off, Beckham concentrated on treatment those days.

Beckham again wouldn't say whether he was dealing with a high ankle sprain. The Giants have simply called it an ankle injury and never detailed a timeframe for his return.

"I'm not a doctor, really," Beckham said. "I don't know how long it is. I'm just -- there's guidelines. It could be four to 12 weeks. You never know. Everybody heals differently."

The rehab process for Beckham has been extensive. That doesn't mean it has been enjoyable. He watched his teammates flop in the season opener against the Cowboys. The Giants had two first downs in the first half and finished with three points.

Beckham wanted to play Sunday. He wants to play Monday against the Lions, and said he's doing everything possible to make it happen.

"I personally don't want to get up at 6:30 every morning, get here for 7 o'clock treatment. The days we have off, I'm here at 10 o'clock for treatment. I go home, I do 5-6 hours of treatment," Beckham said. "It's boring. It's not fun. Nobody wants to do that and definitely work all offseason and everything to get to Dallas and have to sit there. So I'm itching to get back on the field."

He also warned he didn't want this to be like his rookie season, when he returned early from a hamstring injury and suffered a setback. 

"It's like when I had the hamstring injury and you come back. You don't know if it's too early or not, and it gets reinjured and you set yourself back for another 5-6 weeks. I don't have that luxury right now," Beckham said. "So it's a matter of getting to a point where you know you're confident in it, it's confident in itself and you can go. And you don't have to worry about it."

He'll play MNF

Keep in mind that OBJ does not play with braces or any wraps. He has stated that if he has to do that he wont play. If people can remember back to his rookie season, he was somewhat criticized early on because of his desire not to play on ankle sprain until fully healthy. That came in week 5 and we know what happened afterwards.

The fortunate part for OBJ owners and us Giants fans is the fact that he did travel with the team in week 1 and take part in pre-game workouts before declaring himself not fit.

10 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

Keep in mind that OBJ does not play with braces or any wraps. He has stated that if he has to do that he wont play. If people can remember back to his rookie season, he was somewhat criticized early on because of his desire not to play on ankle sprain until fully healthy. That came in week 5 and we know what happened afterwards.

The fortunate part for OBJ owners and us Giants fans is the fact that he did travel with the team in week 1 and take part in pre-game workouts before declaring himself not fit.

he had a torn hamstring his rookie season that kept him out for the first 4 weeks.

6 minutes ago, dakimbell said:

he had a torn hamstring his rookie season that kept him out for the first 4 weeks.

Ah you are right about the hammy.

1 hour ago, Conscious Pilot said:

Tell me you're benching him if he's playing on Monday.

I will gladly bench him if he gets worse before Monday. This isn't about emotion. This is about the fact that this is the NFL  and players rush back from injury more often but not.

If you have great alternatives, sure. But a lot of people invested a top 6 pick on this guy and a lot of people don't have alternatives.

More likely than not a lot of these teams are 0-1.

3 hours ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

Last  time this season u will get a chance to buy low from the OBJ owner :D

Well at least I have Tate so I don't have to worry for this game.

But I have to admit my first round pick does not look that good now .... this and Ajayi... long season incoming.

1 hour ago, swaggyp said:

if he cuts today he is playing no doubt

Does cutting some rug with Russell Westbrook last week count? :D

I don't trust this situation at all.  I had to grab Marvin Jones as OBJ insurance.  This is starting to feel like a smokescreen to make the Lions prepare for him.  

According to Odel he admits it's a 6-8 week injury. meaning even if he does play the injury will affect him and he won't be himself. 

#Decoyforthenext4-8weeks

Edited by SyNdicateZ

3 hours ago, swaggyp said:

if he cuts today he is playing no doubt

Today's practice is also in pads.  Please post beat writer updates here.  I'm sure a few practice videos will surface.

Edited by JediMasters