elite

Brock Osweiler 2017 Outlook

Wow. What an incredibly odd year+ its been for Brock. First the Texans sign him to a mega contract that clearly wasn't the right move. Now "traded" to Cleveland where reports are suggesting he may not even play a snap at QB next season. Couldn't make this stuff up I guess.

Browns acquired Brock Osweiler, a 2018 second-round pick, and a 2017 sixth-round pick from the Texans in exchange for a 2017 fourth-round pick.

This is a straight salary dump the likes of which we normally only see in the NBA. Essentially, the Texans sent a second-round pick to Cleveland in order to get the Browns to take Osweiler's bloated deal off their hands. With zero cap concerns, the Browns can pay Osweiler the rest of the guaranteed money ($16 million) on his contract, give him a shot to win the starting job, and cut him next offseason with no financial ramifications if (when) it does not work out all while landing a second-round pick. It is a no-brainer move for Cleveland. With Osweiler off the books, the Texans look set to make a real run at Tony Romo.

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Browns are considering releasing Brock Osweiler.

This report comes just 20 minutes after the Browns acquired Osweiler from Houston in a bombshell trade nobody saw coming. It looks like there's a good chance Osweiler will never play a down for Cleveland as the Browns will simply absorb his $16 million salary and move on. Cleveland has all the cap space in the world so the $16 million hit isn't a big deterrent. Perhaps the Browns will package their first-round pick with the 2018 second-rounder they just received from Houston in a trade for Patriots QB Jimmy Garoppolo.

3 minutes ago, howlin' 2 said:

B.O. must really stink !

Either that or he is a real D.B. 

He really stinks.

Edited by dabeesta17

1 hour ago, howlin' 2 said:

B.O. must really stink !

Either that or he is a real D.B. 

I mean, we are calling him B. O

• Like 1

Should have gone to the White House when he had the chance. His career is over. What a dope.

Is a second round pick worth 16M?

The correct answer is no. Not even damn close.

1 minute ago, Gohawks said:

Is a second round pick worth 16M?

The correct answer is no. Not even damn close.

It's more complicated than that: 

1. Teams have a salary floor to spend; this helps CLE reach that without commitment to a player beyond 2017

2. Osweiler was valued by nearly everyone as worth more than House or Schaub. CLE may be able to get another pick for by trading him again in return for paying only a portion of his 2017 salary. 

• Like 2

It remains to be seen what the next move will be. Could be brought in to camp to compete for a job. If he fails to impress then release him . As always though you have to carefully read the contract language. You don't want to get into an injury situation where you are obligated to big bucks settlement.

Man, Osweiler better be basking in his millions because NOBODY wants him. Cleveland is now shopping him for a 3rd rounder; which I think is too expensive. At least he'll have $30 million or so in the bank when this is all said and done. But it has to be pretty embarrassing to be completely exposed as a scrub who had a great agent.

While this is all probably a little embarrassing for Brock, nabbing that much money on his way out of the league was probably the absolute best case scenario for someone of his talent level.  We can make fun of the Texans for signing him to a $70+ million contract on the basis of being Peyton's backup and playing okay in a few games, or we can make fun of the Browns for paying $16 million for a second-round draft pick, but Brock conned the whole league and I think that's worthy of praise.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dabeesta17 said:

Man, Osweiler better be basking in his millions because NOBODY wants him. Cleveland is now shopping him for a 3rd rounder; which I think is too expensive. At least he'll have $30 million or so in the bank when this is all said and done. But it has to be pretty embarrassing to be completely exposed as a scrub who had a great agent.

So they gained a 2nd for taking him off the Texans' hands...now they think they can gain a 3rd by selling him?

He'll be out of the NFL and opening a steak house or car dealership within the next five years.

Edited by mrblonde1984

29 minutes ago, mrblonde1984 said:

He'll be out of the NFL and opening a steak house or car dealership within the next five years.

I wouldn't be surprised if he hung around for awhile as a backup.  Kellen Clemens is still in the league, somehow. 

12 hours ago, joshua18 said:

It's more complicated than that: 

1. Teams have a salary floor to spend; this helps CLE reach that without commitment to a player beyond 2017

2. Osweiler was valued by nearly everyone as worth more than House or Schaub. CLE may be able to get another pick for by trading him again in return for paying only a portion of his 2017 salary. 

What's that portion then?  Nobody will give up a 3rd or better for him, he hasn't shown himself to be a bigger gamble than say, the rookie Webb from Cal.  Good luck dumping,

I'd rather have a player on the roster if I had traded for him.

I think the other question is whether the Browns have found a clever loophole to hit the salary floor without improving your team - i.e. still be in a good position for the 2018 draft, which would make some sense if they hoped to acquire a QB in that draft.  Of course, this could be sheer insanity, or if they plan to trade for Garapolo, certainly a different story.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rschroeder1 said:

I think the other question is whether the Browns have found a clever loophole to hit the salary floor without improving your team - i.e. still be in a good position for the 2018 draft, which would make some sense if they hoped to acquire a QB in that draft.  Of course, this could be sheer insanity, or if they plan to trade for Garapolo, certainly a different story.

Exactly.  They can free up an insane amount of cap room again next season, and possibly aquire another pick to play in the Darnold/Rosen sweepstakes in the 2018 draft. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iron-cock said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he hung around for awhile as a backup.  Kellen Clemens is still in the league, somehow. 

Yikes...I didn't even realize that.

23 minutes ago, rschroeder1 said:

The Browns need a QB this year.  Hue takes him for a test spin, then they dump him after the 2017 season with no guaranteed money.

If you want Jimmy Garoppolo, keep your picks and sign him when he's a free agent next year.  

"Eat your cake and have it too."

Next year's QB draft is better if you lose Garoppolo to another team.

If you wait until the middle of the season, Bill Belichick will trade the end of his rookie contract to you for a mid-round pick.

1 hour ago, Iron-cock said:

Exactly.  They can free up an insane amount of cap room again next season, and possibly aquire another pick to play in the Darnold/Rosen sweepstakes in the 2018 draft. 

The best way they can guarantee getting Darnold or Rosen is to start Osweiler or RG3 for 16 games this season.

5 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

The best way they can guarantee getting Darnold or Rosen is to start Osweiler or RG3 for 16 games this season.

Build a team, then get a franchise QB.

Shortcuts end QB careers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Good luck with getting 16 out of RG3.  I guess Osweiler could be suck insurance for when RG3 gets hurt.

I guess the Jets are slightly ahead in the 2017 tanking contest, we can start Hackenberg.

Edited by Iron-cock

1 hour ago, jmausen said:

The Browns need a QB this year.  Hue takes him for a test spin, then they dump him after the 2017 season with no guaranteed money.

If you want Jimmy Garoppolo, keep your picks and sign him when he's a free agent next year.  

"Eat your cake and have it too."

Next year's QB draft is better if you lose Garoppolo to another team.

If you wait until the middle of the season, Bill Belichick will trade the end of his rookie contract to you for a mid-round pick.

I don't think Jimmy G is leaving NE anytime soon.

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

I don't think Jimmy G is leaving NE anytime soon.

If Bill didn't like him, he wouldn't be so adamant on a king's ransom for him.  He'd float him for whatever pick he could get and pick another young QB somewhere.  The fact he wants multiple 1st rounders tells me he actually fits into their future plans.