Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FFCollusion

Terrelle Pryor 2017 Season Outlook

260 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

 

I get that and expect Pryor to be a solid WR2 next season. 

 

However this year there there was a pretty weak FA WR class and Pryor couldn't strike a long term deal. I don't know how one year playing with Cousins will jump vault Pryor. 

 

And next year as a 29 year old he's competing with Allen Robinson, Jordan Matthews, Hopkins, Marqise Lee, Jarvis Landry, Martavis Bryant, John Brown, Bruce Ellington, Alshon Jeffery, Taylor Gabriel, Brice Butler and others. I guess Edelman will be a FA too but he's old. 

 

I think that he's only done it one year made teams hesitant to pony up long-term for elite money (assuming the 4/32 rumor is true).  Going out this year anf having a monster year eliminates that hesitancy.

 

As for next year's class, I don't think ARob, Hopkins, or Landry actually get to the open market.  One of jmat or Jeffery might.  

 

The rest of the guys you listed aren't in the same talent class as Pryor imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it was a given that Pryor "couldn't" strike a long-term deal. He simply chose not too because the value wasn't to his liking. He could have easily signed a deal like Britt's, but he is looking for more than 12mil/year.

 

Pryor doesn't have much to his resume at WR. But he has measurables and size. With another solid year under his belt, it improves his value as a potential WR1 to teams or maybe a bottom tier WR1 or WR2. Either that the cap goes up every year and his value would improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

 

I think that he's only done it one year made teams hesitant to pony up long-term for elite money (assuming the 4/32 rumor is true).  Going out this year anf having a monster year eliminates that hesitancy.

 

As for next year's class, I don't think ARob, Hopkins, or Landry actually get to the open market.  One of jmat or Jeffery might.  

 

The rest of the guys you listed aren't in the same talent class as Pryor imo.

And JMatt has pretty much killed his value. He has struggled with drops and hasn't shown the ability to play outside the slot. Jeffery probably only hits the market if he doesn't have a good year in Philly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 96mnc said:

 

I think that he's only done it one year made teams hesitant to pony up long-term for elite money (assuming the 4/32 rumor is true).  Going out this year anf having a monster year eliminates that hesitancy.

 

As for next year's class, I don't think ARob, Hopkins, or Landry actually get to the open market.  One of jmat or Jeffery might.  

 

The rest of the guys you listed aren't in the same talent class as Pryor imo.

 

Maybe we'll see. I think Landry might hit the open market and I could see Arob trying to find a new team. And Hopkins could find a new team depending whose QB. And JMatthews still has 3 seasons with 800+ yards despite playing with crap QB's every year. Pryor is taking a risk whether you want to believe it or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, boltup15 said:

 

Maybe we'll see. I think Landry might hit the open market and I could see Arob trying to find a new team. And Hopkins could find a new team depending whose QB. And JMatthews still has 3 seasons with 800+ yards despite playing with crap QB's every year. Pryor is taking a risk whether you want to believe it or not. 

 

I think Arob and Hopkins get franchised at worst.

 

Landry and Jmatt are both slot guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that Pryor is already 27 years old was completely lost on me.

Wow... changes things from a dynasty value perspective.

 

I still like his near-term upside and think he was smart to go play with a good QB for a year before getting his one big contract.

Is it a gamble?

Sure, but if he is able to turn it into 1200 yards and 8TDs he'll secure a nice career completing contract next off-season.

 

I like when guys role the dice for their money...

Pryor has a lot of motivation to play balls out this season... no nagging injuries to keep him sidelined and a ton of extra effort.

We'll see the best he has this season.

Edited by Winky
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose... I mean, he's been on like, half a dozen teams already. Is Jay Gruden really thinking, oh what a masterful plan! Why feature the young receivers we already have when we can channel much of the gravy to Terrelle Pryor? Especially given the fact that his key stated objective is to position himself to land some huge contract, perhaps here, perhaps somewhere else! ....It's just me, but if I were the coach I'd be like, this has got to be the dumbest thing ever.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markrc99 said:

I suppose... I mean, he's been on like, half a dozen teams already. Is Jay Gruden really thinking, oh what a masterful plan! Why feature the young receivers we already have when we can channel much of the gravy to Terrelle Pryor? Especially given the fact that his key stated objective is to position himself to land some huge contract, perhaps here, perhaps somewhere else! ....It's just me, but if I were the coach I'd be like, this has got to be the dumbest thing ever.   

 

Because Pryor has an incredibly high ceiling and can help Gruden win games now.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

27 isn't a death sentence to WRs. Especially a guy in his prime that has very little mileage. The upside is immense like 96mnc already stated. Teams could easily get another 10 years out of Pryor if he continues to improve. 5 years at the worst.

 

I very much like Pryor betting on himself with a good QB, good offensive mind at HC, and a good offense.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, devaster said:

27 isn't a death sentence to WRs. Especially a guy in his prime that has very little mileage. The upside is immense like 96mnc already stated. Teams could easily get another 10 years out of Pryor if he continues to improve. 5 years at the worst.

 

I very much like Pryor betting on himself with a good QB, good offensive mind at HC, and a good offense.

5 years I'd expect.  10 years starts to put him into anomaly territory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markrc99 said:

I suppose... I mean, he's been on like, half a dozen teams already. Is Jay Gruden really thinking, oh what a masterful plan! Why feature the young receivers we already have when we can channel much of the gravy to Terrelle Pryor? Especially given the fact that his key stated objective is to position himself to land some huge contract, perhaps here, perhaps somewhere else! ....It's just me, but if I were the coach I'd be like, this has got to be the dumbest thing ever.   

 

Jay Gruden is thinking we need to win games.

In order to do that, I'll build my offense around getting the ball to my best players.

Inclusive of Reed and Crowder, there is plenty of room for Pryor to make an impact.

DJax & Garcon are leaving a lot of targets for the next guy up and Pryor is the next guy up.

Would there be any reason not to get the ball to Pryor that I may be overlooking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Winky said:

"DJax & Garcon are leaving a lot of targets for the next guy up and Pryor is the next guy up. Would there be any reason not to get the ball to Pryor that I may be overlooking?"

 

There was room for a primary even with those guys. Crowder hit pay dirt more than either of them, they're gone & he's the same? Yeah, Reed, perhaps 100%, near enough? Closest thing they have to a primary is Josh Doctson. Speed, quickness, change of direction, certainly not weaknesses, but nothing special. But his ability to track, elevate, high point & catch? Red zone.... that's why they drafted him! So your boy might be #1, but could he easily be #4 & you're taking him when?   

 

Not saying you & others are wrong, just, don't assume.

Edited by markrc99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can think of $8 miilion reasons he won't be #4.

Not sure where I would draft him yet, it's March 19.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want all the shares I can get. He is a phenomenal athlete and Gruden will makes sure to get the ball in his hands.

 

I think he's a solid WR2 next year and could push for WR1. I just want to know who's throwing him the ball. Predicting him to be a solid WR2 next year isn't going out on much of a limb. He was the #18 receiver last year in standard.

 

 

Edited by timexsocialclub
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding is that they paid him $6M, the other $2M is tied to production incentives. What he wants is money, but he's certainly a gifted athlete. At FFC he's coming off ahead of guys like Crowder & Shepard, which is too high, but that's just me. Cameron Meredith has had a very similar path as Pryor & I like him a lot, but he's also coming off much later. Pryor's adp has bumped up 4 slots in less than a week.

 

Worthy of consideration to those willing to draft Pryor so high is perhaps the role of Josh Doctson. He's there & no doubt looking to fill that void every bit, perhaps more so. Monitoring him might go a long way. Part of the counter is that Pryor accomplished what he did with 4 or 5 subpar QBs throwing him the ball. Thus, we can only imagine how well he'll do once he's built a rapport with Kirk Cousins. I'm not so sure, how do we know that what he did in Cleveland even required a rapport with a QB? Given that he's still pretty raw, perhaps the answer is not very? When it's 3rd & forever the defense isn't even defending a 20yd completion. Or when behind as often as they were.          

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 3/19/2017 at 0:03 PM, markrc99 said:

So your boy might be #1, but could he easily be #4 & you're taking him when?   

 

Where have I heard this before?

 

On 8/13/2016 at 11:31 AM, Axe Elf said:

Yeah, best case scenario, he's the WR3 (and 4th or 5th target behind Gordon, Coleman, Barnidge, and possibly Johnson)...  for the Browns.

 

Adjust your draft lists accordingly.

 

Oh yeah, last year.

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's not the same, I don't profess to know with absolute certainty. Pryor is big & very fast, definitely has some attributes of a primary. However, it appears as though he's going to get hyped all the way up into the 5th rd. Perhaps he does belong there, I only know that I'm not going to chase his perceived value. I'd like him a lot more if they'd locked down Cousins long term. Should the respective concerns pertaining to Doctson & Reed linger, if they don't add anyone else.... I don't believe that because they paid Pryor $6M that makes him some guy they now run their offense through. Comparatively, Garcon will be paid $16M by the 'niners this year.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markrc99 said:

I don't believe that because they paid Pryor $6M that makes him some guy they now run their offense through. Comparatively, Garcon will be paid $16M by the 'niners this year.     

 

Kirk Cousins led the league in air yards last season - he likes to push the ball downfield and challenge the defenses with long throws. With Djax gone, the Redskins have no proven WRs to fill that deep threat role. Reed is certainly capable, but he's not as explosive as Pryor. Crowder is a slot guy and Garcon, another decent deep threat, is gone.

 

While they may not run their offense through Pryor, I think he should at least get the same amount of targets Djax got while there. Add in his usage in the red zone, and it's easy to see why people think Cousins to Pryor will be money in 2017. 

 

Also, I don't understand your Garcon comment. He was clearly brought in to be the top WR there.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But you do understand, you know what that kind of money means! Pryor was paid what you'd pay some guy, any guy.... me. e; The WR that's in Pryor's way is Josh Doctson, his ability to maximize his length is probably his best attribute. Perhaps the two of them start opposite of each other, although they may be more similar than complement. I like Pryor, just, not where he's going to come off is all. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

But you do understand, you know what that kind of money means! Pryor was paid what you'd pay some guy, any guy.... me. e; The WR that's in Pryor's way is Josh Doctson, his ability to maximize his length is probably his best attribute. Perhaps the two of them start opposite of each other, although they may be more similar than complement. I like Pryor, just, not where he's going to come off is all. 

Pryor has proven more to me as an NFL receiver than Doctson has.  Even if he hadn't, you're still looking at a 4500 passing yard offense.  Even if he's only getting 1/4 of that production, he's still a 1000 yard guy.  Doctson also only had (as far as I can tell, I try not to watch that horrible (fandom) team) 2 receptions all season.  Why are we thinking he suddenly realizes his potential and becomes Evans-light?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, jbshaw said:

"Pryor has proven more to me as an NFL receiver than Doctson has.  Even if he hadn't, you're still looking at a 4500 passing yard offense.  Even if he's only getting 1/4 of that production, he's still a 1000 yard guy.  Doctson also only had (as far as I can tell, I try not to watch that horrible (fandom) team) 2 receptions all season.  Why are we thinking he suddenly realizes his potential and becomes Evans-light?"

 

Typical, that which went before is an absolute certainty & talent that didn't never will.

Edited by markrc99
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, jbshaw said:

Pryor has proven more to me as an NFL receiver than Doctson has.  Even if he hadn't, you're still looking at a 4500 passing yard offense.  Even if he's only getting 1/4 of that production, he's still a 1000 yard guy.  Doctson also only had (as far as I can tell, I try not to watch that horrible (fandom) team) 2 receptions all season.  Why are we thinking he suddenly realizes his potential and becomes Evans-light?

 

I love Doctson's talent.  But he's got to get healthy and essentially will be a rookie this year. 

 

The Skins have no clue how to get him healthy.  

 

But as much as a love Doctson's raw talent, I like Pryor's even more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

But you do understand, you know what that kind of money means! Pryor was paid what you'd pay some guy, any guy.... me. e; The WR that's in Pryor's way is Josh Doctson, his ability to maximize his length is probably his best attribute. Perhaps the two of them start opposite of each other, although they may be more similar than complement. I like Pryor, just, not where he's going to come off is all. 

 

Where would you take Pryor? 

 

I see a nice case for Pryor going into next season. Solid QB, solid o-line, no run game, Crowder is a target slot guy and Doctson could be good but is an unknown. Reed is one concussion away from retirement and always hurt. Redskins defense is still bad so they play from behind it seems like a lot. Pryor also seems to be the only deep threat at the moment and did a great job as the Browns #1 and deep threat going against #1 CB's. There's a lot to like here. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markrc99 said:

But you do understand, you know what that kind of money means! Pryor was paid what you'd pay some guy, any guy.... me. e; The WR that's in Pryor's way is Josh Doctson, his ability to maximize his length is probably his best attribute. Perhaps the two of them start opposite of each other, although they may be more similar than complement. I like Pryor, just, not where he's going to come off is all. 

 

Agree with the others about Doctson – love his measureables and upside, but I can't say he'll be a hindrance to Pryor until I see him play at the NFL level. Also, I don't read too much into the money because Pryor's situation is unique. How much do you pay a backup QB with freak athleticism who decided to switch positions and turned in a good season his first year playing as a WR? I guess we found out the answer. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, boltup15 said:

"Where would you take Pryor? I see a nice case for Pryor going into next season. Solid QB, solid o-line, no run game, Crowder is a target slot guy and Doctson could be good but is an unknown. Reed is one concussion away from retirement and always hurt. Redskins defense is still bad so they play from behind it seems like a lot. Pryor also seems to be the only deep threat at the moment and did a great job as the Browns #1 and deep threat going against #1 CB's. There's a lot to like here." 

 

I can't see taking Pryor before Crowder or Shepard, which I'm not sure is even relevant. If the hype in this forum is how Pryor is broadly perceived & it certainly seems as such, then by the time September rolls around you'll be lucky to get him in the 5th rd. From what I've read Pryor is still very raw, which doesn't lend itself to being a legit primary at this level. But there's what he did in Cleveland. Thing about his production there is that it was on a ONE WIN team! That offense, the QB play didn't scare anyone. C'mon, do we really need to pound them senseless & win 42-0? Watching Pryor, he's a long-strider and looks very straight-linish to me. He does have that massive frame and wingspan. I think we all agree more than not, Doctson's progress could be key.       

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.