Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dabeesta17

Jerick McKinnon 2017 Season Outlook

35 posts in this topic

AP is gone. Doesn't look like Minnesota is bringing Asiata back either.

I remember a few years back reading something about McKinnon having a ridiculous SPARQ score (note: I'm not a SPARQ guy at all). Last year he looked awful, but I know the Vikings O-line had a lot of injuries and other issues. He looked good his rookie year and was effective in a limited role in 2015. Right now he's going in the 13th round (pick #155 on FFC) but I assume that will go up quite a bit in the coming months.

What do you guys think of McKinnon? The Vikings don't have a 1st round pick in 2017 because of the Bradford trade so no Fournette or Cook in Minnesota.

EDIT: McKinnon is also in the final year of his rookie contract if that changes anything about your opinions.

Edited by dabeesta17

1 hour ago, dabeesta17 said:

AP is gone. Doesn't look like Minnesota is bringing Asiata back either.

I remember a few years back reading something about McKinnon having a ridiculous SPARQ score (note: I'm not a SPARQ guy at all). Last year he looked awful, but I know the Vikings O-line had a lot of injuries and other issues. He looked good his rookie year and was effective in a limited role in 2015. Right now he's going in the 13th round (pick #155 on FFC) but I assume that will go up quite a bit in the coming months.

What do you guys think of McKinnon? The Vikings don't have a 1st round pick in 2017 because of the Bradford trade so no Fournette or Cook in Minnesota.

EDIT: McKinnon is also in the final year of his rookie contract if that changes anything about your opinions.

I like Mckinnon. Asiata is gone. I bet they'll sign draft someone in FA but McKinnon is good. He gets a lot of receptions and at pick 155 I don't know how I don't take him earlier especially if that o-line improves. 

Has talent to be a decent starting RB but needs room to operate. Have him in my dynasty LG. since his rookie year. Can run through an arm tackle with his impressive strength for a smaller guy. Not going to move a pile or run a LB over so it's crucial his line doesn't get stuffed in the hole cuz he won't get you two on his own. Give him a crease even if they get a hand on him at the line he can make 2-3 yds.

Good receiving back and willing blocker. More quick than long home run speed but can get down field for 20+ better than most. Especially good on screen plays (if they can ever block them )

Line has to be better than last year. Both new tackles are lower half of the league but still better than last year. Injuries were decimating across the entire line. Obviously that has to be a focus in the draft. If they get a starting caliber one that bodes well for McKinnon.

What may not bode well is the fact that the whole front office went to meet Mixon at his pro day. I could see that being their 2nd rd pick. As much as I hoped Jerick would be the heir apparent I don't think it's going to happen. Even if Mixon doesn't end up here I wouldn't be surprised to see Latavius or another good rookie RB in camp given every chance to be the starter.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, boltup15 said:

I like Mckinnon. Asiata is gone. I bet they'll sign draft someone in FA but McKinnon is good. He gets a lot of receptions and at pick 155 I don't know how I don't take him earlier especially if that o-line improves. 

Is Asiata really gone? Did he sign with another team?

Just now, joshua18 said:

Is Asiata really gone? Did he sign with another team?

Yea currently he's a free agent. I think that's why there looking for a bigger back to compliment McKinnon. But I mean McKinnon for 5 foot 9 is pretty big. 210 pounds. He's not a goal line threat but the kid is elusive and has good size. 

Don't love him, but I do have him stashed in a dynasty league. He is a solid change of pace RB imo, but not an every down guy. Vikings need to draft a complement for him to have a productive season.

3 hours ago, boltup15 said:

Yea currently he's a free agent. I think that's why there looking for a bigger back to compliment McKinnon. But I mean McKinnon for 5 foot 9 is pretty big. 210 pounds. He's not a goal line threat but the kid is elusive and has good size. 

Not trusting any projections until Asiata is gone for sure. He was horrible in short yardage last yr but the coaching staff still treated him like it was 2014 and gave him all the GL carries. McKinnon is big enough to be a three-down back, just as JC was in his prime in KC, or McCoy is now. 

As cheap as he is, I'll probably own a share if they don't draft another back in the first couple days.  The O line was horrible though and I don't see that changing much year to year with the lack of talent in the draft. Maybe a couple picks between 2-4 on C/G could show some improvement.

I want to see what improvements they make to the oline.  So far I have been nonplussed about what they have done.  

12 minutes ago, cowboy5xsbs said:

I want to see what improvements they make to the oline.  So far I have been nonplussed about what they have done.  

Exactly.

The team averaged 3.2 ypc last year.

The signed some offensive linemen: average and overpaid.

Eddie Lacy visited the Vikings over the weekend, but didn't sign a contract. Apparently they are trying to bring some other "name" guy in, which tells me they are not 100% confident in McKinnon as a 3-down guy. Still as noted, they need to work on the guys upfront for anyone to be effective over the course of a season.

I have a hard time seeing the Vikings going into the season with McK as their starting RB.  He's frankly just not very good, offensive line issues or not.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, cowboy5xsbs said:

Were the oline changes great value for the $?  No.  Is the oline better now than it was at the end of last season?  Yes.   It's like going from a .200 hitting SS to a .250 hitting SS.  Not ideal but still an improvement.

Electric athlete, small body but stronger then he looks(32 reps at 225!) Worth getting in space and has the speed to get the edge. Capable between the tackles and has vision, but can get stopped up by bigger LBs and the line. Has never fumbled! Worth keeping a part of the gameplan, and i would love to see my vikings give him a power compliment...wether that be foreman, perine, mixon (i wish), connor....not as high on lacy or latavius like reported..but worth a look regardless.

I personally dont see him as a 3 down back, and feel his skills are better used as more of a change of pace/3rd down back. Durability has been a slight issue when given a bigger workload, but hes more then capable athletically to take a large amount of the carries.

2 people like this

39 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Were the oline changes great value for the $?  No.  Is the oline better now than it was at the end of last season?  Yes.   It's like going from a .200 hitting SS to a .250 hitting SS.  Not ideal but still an improvement.

So 3.2 ypc goes up to 3.5 ypc and Asiata is still the goal line back.

RB 32 last season going as RB 53 in rnd 13.

From that perspective, he's not a bad bye-week pickup. 

I wouldn't expect much improvement if they bring somebody else in.

1 hour ago, jmausen said:

So 3.2 ypc goes up to 3.5 ypc and Asiata is still the goal line back.

RB 32 last season going as RB 53 in rnd 13.

From that perspective, he's not a bad bye-week pickup. 

I wouldn't expect much improvement if they bring somebody else in.

If the OLine is now capable of getting McKinnon to the LOS untouched as opposed to dodging defenders in the backfield that ypc will go up more than 0.3.

1 person likes this

Thoughts now that Latavis has been signed? It's not horrible to me. I think Jerick will lock down the third down role and at least half the carries (Murrays vision is not good and he played on a much better Oline in Oakland without much success). Biggest issue is Murray will be a Asiata vulture and then some. But at least Minny is working to boost their Oline

10 minutes ago, Ohwise1 said:

Thoughts now that Latavis has been signed? It's not horrible to me. I think Jerick will lock down the third down role and at least half the carries (Murrays vision is not good and he played on a much better Oline in Oakland without much success). Biggest issue is Murray will be a Asiata vulture and then some. But at least Minny is working to boost their Oline

Luckily this might be his last year with Minny so I'll be buying him in dynasty. The Latavius Murray signing is not the smarted move for Minny imo, but this definitely hurts McKinnon now. Might make McKinnon a stronger high upside cuff with standalone value who will probably be going in the 12th+ rounds in redraft. 

Edited by boltup15

3 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

Luckily this might be his last year with Minny so I'll be buying him in dynasty. The Latavius Murray signing is not the smarted move for Minny imo, but this definitely hurts McKinnon now. Might make McKinnon a stronger high upside cuff with standalone value who will probably be going in the 12th+ rounds in redraft. 

Murray's deal is a 3 year that can be voided after year one so this will be an experimental season in their backfield. Not ideal but hopefully somebody becomes the clear cut guy and the running game in general improves 

If you are a fan of McKinnon than you have to be happy with this signing.

Murray stinks, but his being on the team may indicate the Vikings will not prioritize the RB position in the draft.

Lat Murray will take less of the pie than a guy like Joe Mixon or someone other solid RB that is coming out.

Edited by Winky
3 people like this

Neither Murray or McKinnon is the answer. They need to use a mid rounder on a RB from this deep class.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Winky said:

If you are a fan of McKinnon than you have to be happy with this signing.

Murray stinks, but his being on the team may indicate the Vikings will not prioritize the RB position in the draft.

Lat Murray will take less of the pie than a guy like Joe Mixon or someone other solid RB that is coming out.

Murray doesn't stink. And he is a good bet to handle the early down and GL work. McKinnon's role probably won't change much from how it was when AP was there.

1 hour ago, petekrum said:

Neither Murray or McKinnon is the answer. They need to use a mid rounder on a RB from this deep class.

Agree, but i still like what mckinnon brings. I think if your playing ppr, or just want to take a flier, mckinnon is a good bet to be suprisingly useful. I think mckinnons prospects grow from this signing actually, hes a great change of pace and like @Winky said, i could see less committment to Latavius, giving more opportunities to mckinnon. 

The good news is, if they still attack rb in the mid rounds (seeing as this is a one year experiment deal) mckinnon will most likely always have a role. As of right now, especially in ppr, he may be the only vikings backfield share i want. ( and even that is minimal)

1 hour ago, devaster said:

Murray doesn't stink. And he is a good bet to handle the early down and GL work. McKinnon's role probably won't change much from how it was when AP was there.

I think Murray is a grinder gets what he is given.

In Oakland, that line gave him a 4.0 ypc.

In Minnesota, his OLine will get him less.

Why did Oakland keep tinkering with Jalen Richard and DeAndre Washington if Murray was the guy?

Both of those guys had over 100 touches.

If Murray was considered anything more than JAG, the Raiders would not have let him go...

Edited by Winky
1 person likes this

Richard averaged 5.9 ypc behind the Raiders line. Washington averaged 5.4. Murray checked in at 4.0 barely. If he can't thrive behind a solid Raiders line, he will be no different than Asiata in Minnesota. Hopefully this signing drops McKinnon low enough that you can grab him in the double-digit rounds.