Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dabeesta17

Jerick McKinnon 2017 Season Outlook

35 posts in this topic

His value will be much higher this time next year.

He is a target in keeper leagues and a buy in dynasty. Redraft, he'll give a reasonable return in PPR with the outside chance of being a TColeman type of explosive TD machine.

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

He is a target in keeper leagues and a buy in dynasty. Redraft, he'll give a reasonable return in PPR with the outside chance of being a TColeman type of explosive TD machine.

Another year just gives Minnesota more time to find an actual answer at the position.

12 hours ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

Couldn't disagree more. If you're considering him as a keeper your team is in a shambles, and if you're waiting for him to emerge in dynasty you have a long wait ahead.  This team will be drafting a RB to replace Murray and Mckinnon.

I agree with you both :-)

Just look at what Ajayi went through last year. The coaching staff had no faith from the beginning in their young injury prone back. Necessity forced the coach's hand as much as Gase would like to tell you he always believed in Ajayi. Suuurrre, that's why you brought in broken down Arian Foster and GAVE him the job. And then tried a 3-ring circus of Drake,Damien & Ajayi for a couple of weeks til Drake got dinged up.

I see the same thing for the Vikings. Limited success for Latavius who needs an avenue to run through. Good luck with that line and they way the defenses crowd the line and blitz Bradford daring him to hang on to the ball.

Eventually the more elusive back (McKinnon) will get his chance at being the lead guy. Can he succeed and stay healthy??? That remains to be seen but if he does he has 3 down potential. I suspect that they will draft their version of Drake because the staff inexplicably kept trodding out the plodding Asiata. If that wasn't a telltale sign they weren't sold on Jerick as lead dog I don't know what it would take.

Reif-er madness that it is paying the former Lions RT to become your LT and adding the human turnstile Remmers on your right can't have Slingin' Sammy Bradford sleeping well at night. But as sad as that sounds it is still a considerable upgrade from last year, at least in the run game. If they get a decent addition in the draft McKinnon might have at least a chance to make the first guy miss and get downfield instead of getting swarmed by 3 & 4 tacklers behind the line of scrimmage.

I put the odds @ 50/50 that McKinnon gives you 50% of what Ajayi did once he got rolling. In other words instead of 3 - 200 yd games you could get 3 or so 100 yd games with a sprinkling of receiving yardage tacked on as they play from behind in the  2nd half most games. Latavius will vulture the GL TD's to justify the front office investment in him. Think Justin Forsett of a couple years ago with the Ravens. Alas I fear a similar fate lies in wait for our little purple Viking :'(

1 person likes this

On 17/03/2017 at 10:47 AM, howlin' 2 said:

Eventually the more elusive back (McKinnon) will get his chance at being the lead guy. Can he succeed and stay healthy??? That remains to be seen but if he does he has 3 down potential. I suspect that they will draft their version of Drake because the staff inexplicably kept trodding out the plodding Asiata. If that wasn't a telltale sign they weren't sold on Jerick as lead dog I don't know what it would take.

Main reason asiata kept plodding out there is because he is great in pass protection. He had decent hands out of the backfield, but with our shoddy line and jericks deficiencies in pass pro he was unfortunately necessary. I wouldnt take it as a non-belief in mckinnon, more his inablity to block.

I agree with most of the rest of your post tho. I think the vikings view jerick mckinnon as their "kenyan drake," like he was used with peterson, and want to pair him with a power back -- tho i personally view his ceiling higher then that.

Hes definatley more that - elusive, speedy, make you miss- kinda back. Getting him in space is dangerous. But breaking tackles isnt his forte, hence the 1 year rental on Murray(who is also good in pass pro)and i believe the possibility of drafting maybe a perine, or connor etc. Alot of interest in mixon, but i fear he will end up becoming to rich for the vikings.

1 person likes this

We saw McKinnon have a chance, he couldnt do it. He will be COP, Murray is an excellent blocker who is one of the best catching backs in the league. Murray isnt going to be a world beater, but they could have signed many backs but they wanted him from since before FA. Murray just wanted to look for more money from all accounts but the RB market is low on cash. 

On 3/17/2017 at 10:47 AM, howlin' 2 said:

Reif-er madness that it is paying the former Lions RT to become your LT and adding the human turnstile Remmers on your right can't have Slingin' Sammy Bradford sleeping well at night. But as sad as that sounds it is still a considerable upgrade from last year, at least in the run game. If they get a decent addition in the draft McKinnon might have at least a chance to make the first guy miss and get downfield instead of getting swarmed by 3 & 4 tacklers behind the line of scrimmage.

Anything is better than Matt Kalil at LT. Carolina paying the worst LT in the NFL $55 million seems like an even more insane move. Other than his rookie year Kalil has been incredibly awful, not only a poor blocker but showing almost zero effort, taking numerous pre-snap and holding penalties and just generally sandbagging the entire offense. Any time the Vikings would start putting a drive together, you just knew eventually Kalil would jump on one of the first downs and put an end to the whole thing.

I agree with the rest, I just wanted to point out how terrible Kalil has been. Also, how crazy is the tackle market when Kalil and Reiff are getting that kind of money?

3 people like this

3 hours ago, Mavis said:

We saw McKinnon have a chance, he couldnt do it. He will be COP, Murray is an excellent blocker who is one of the best catching backs in the league. Murray isnt going to be a world beater, but they could have signed many backs but they wanted him from since before FA. Murray just wanted to look for more money from all accounts but the RB market is low on cash. 

What chance did he have exactly?  That OL was garbage.  Complete and absolute garbage.

1 person likes this

The OLine is terrible and atrocious. But is it possible the OLine performed so bad because of the garbage that was behind it? The QBs were awful in mobility and McKinnon cant block well, and thats putting it nicely. I dont disagree the line sucks, but Peterson before last year was able to run behind it and he was far from prime. Asiata and McKinnon are not that special, Murray is better than both and he isnt that great. In my opinion.

2 hours ago, Mavis said:

The OLine is terrible and atrocious. But is it possible the OLine performed so bad because of the garbage that was behind it? The QBs were awful in mobility and McKinnon cant block well, and thats putting it nicely. I dont disagree the line sucks, but Peterson before last year was able to run behind it and he was far from prime. Asiata and McKinnon are not that special, Murray is better than both and he isnt that great. In my opinion.

An underrated part of Oline play is continuity. The vikings barely went 2 weeks this year starting the same olinemen. At LT we went from kalil, to clemmings, to jake long, then back to clemmings. LG went from boone to sirles, C went from berger to easton. RG went from fusco, to berger, to whatever capable body. RT went from smith, to sirles, to clemmings, to beavers. Im sure im even missing some but It was an absoloute mess. I think we had somewhere near 8-9 different starting lineups.

In comparison to 2015, The group of kalil, fusco, berger, harris and clemming started EVERY game together that season.

2 people like this