General Gannicus

Rex Burkhead 2017 Outlook

102 posts in this topic

Seems out of left field but today I see Rex is visiting the Patriots and have been interested in this situation for more than a year...  

This was written about Burkhead last summer - 

https://www.fantasypros.com/2016/05/deep-fantasy-football-sleepers-rex-burkhead-bengals/

Just putting this out there for all of us addicts on these forums in the "off season" and something to remember as we get closer to summer fantasy madness....

3 people like this

Week 17:

27 carries, 119 yards, 2 TDs

2 catches, 25 yards

Wee
17 Jan 1 BAL 27 119 4.4 2 2 25 12.5 0 0 0 0 0 0

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, General Gannicus said:

Seems out of left field but today I see Rex is visiting the Patriots and have been interested in this situation for more than a year...  

This was written about Burkhead last summer - 

https://www.fantasypros.com/2016/05/deep-fantasy-football-sleepers-rex-burkhead-bengals/

Just putting this out there for all of us addicts on these forums in the "off season" and something to remember as we get closer to summer fantasy madness....

Impressive article! Hope he lands somewhere where he can live up to Fischer's predictions!

Patriots signed RB Rex Burkhead, formerly of the Bengals.
Mar 14 - 4:43 PM

7 minutes ago, jmausen said:
Patriots signed RB Rex Burkhead, formerly of the Bengals.
Mar 14 - 4:43 PM

Extremely high agility, not too fast, average college production but a good receiver. If this is a multi year contract I'm happy to own in dynasty and will be buying and drafting in dynasty. In redraft not sure what to think. Without Blount he's in a solid role but he's limited in the passing game by White and Lewis. 

16 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

Extremely high agility, not too fast, average college production but a good receiver. If this is a multi year contract I'm happy to own in dynasty and will be buying and drafting in dynasty. In redraft not sure what to think. Without Blount he's in a solid role but he's limited in the passing game by White and Lewis. 

I love this and think he could be better in the passing game than either Lewis or White so I'm thinking he may be their new rb toy who runs early a bunch now that Blount is gone and catches late in down and distance...  It's a big IF, but IF he learns the playbook enough to kill it in camp/preseason, he will be the MOST used rb on new England and could explode like some other lesser known guy who the Pats signed and nobody really noticed either in Wes Welker...

Not saying he will be Welker level great but he could be the new and improved version of Lewis and should come cheap in drafts besides the late August / early September drafts when the cat may already be outta the bag on Rex...

Count me in...

1 minute ago, General Gannicus said:

I love this and think he could be better in the passing game than either Lewis or White so I'm thinking he may be their new rb toy who runs early a bunch now that Blount is gone and catches late in down and distance...  It's a big IF, but IF he learns the playbook enough to kill it in camp/preseason, he will be the MOST used rb on new England and could explode like some other lesser known guy who the Pats signed and nobody really noticed either in Wes Welker...

Not saying he will be Welker level great but he could be the new and improved version of Lewis and should come cheap in drafts besides the late August / early September drafts when the cat may already be outta the bag on Rex...

Count me in...

Week 3 preseason (1st half)  is always the best indication of who has what job.

I always keep a close eye on starting QB targets weeks 1-4 as well.

1 person likes this

Christ, the Pats are going all in on a repeat. I wonder what's up? Maybe the Pats are sensing the window closing/Brady retiring and the time is now? I like it.

4 minutes ago, General Gannicus said:

Count me in...

I don't know. I think Lewis and White are both really good in the receiving game so it's hard to be buying Burkhead in redraft. In redraft this year I honestly have no idea what to think as of now. Let's see how things shake up and if they resign Blount. 

On 3/13/2017 at 2:17 PM, FreakFries said:

Impressive article! Hope he lands somewhere where he can live up to Fischer's predictions!

Like the exact team that the writer of that article predicted?

1 hour ago, General Gannicus said:

Count me in...

You aren't giving Lewis or White enough credit. I think healthy Lewis is the most talented of the bunch.

1 person likes this

Sigh....this signing is NOTHING but another quagmire that kills all the value of all three RBs of Lewis, White and Burkhead.

I was hoping he would sign elsewhere under the radar giving us..the real sharks a legitimate chance to draft him on the cheap.  

I want nothing to do with this butt-cluster headache on who to start each week.  Belichick already notoriously plays mind-games with his Russian RB Roulette.  

62869413.jpg

2 people like this

I figured they would sign a power back, and from what I know of Burkhead, he's more of a receiving back with some talent running between the tackles. This jist screams "we're gonna be in shotgun 99 percent of the time" to me, but we'll have to see what happens.

The only thing this signing makes clear is that Blount won't be back (I think). 

1 person likes this

I suppose Burkhead's cheaper than Blount?

Seems kind of odd a youngish RB with some receiving chops like Burkhead didn't even make ESPN's list of the top 150 FAs. 

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

I suppose Burkhead's cheaper than Blount?

Seems kind of odd a youngish RB with some receiving chops like Burkhead didn't even make ESPN's list of the top 150 FAs. 

ESPN is clueless...but that's already common knowledge, right? 

2 people like this

Forgot Brandon Bolden is a free agent. At the very least, Burkhead is his replacement.

Mike Reiss

"Patriots RBs under contract for '17: James White, Dion Lewis, D.J. Foster, Tyler Gaffney, Rex Burkhead. White & Lewis in last year of deals."

5 hours ago, pikerbkb said:

Christ, the Pats are going all in on a repeat. I wonder what's up? Maybe the Pats are sensing the window closing/Brady retiring and the time is now? I like it.

Repeat?

They are shooting for undefeated.  Whether they trade Butler or not will be key. 

Going undefeated is actually not the goal here. Certainly not with Belechick. The goal is a title. Maybe the fan base is hoping for this but it's the last thing on their minds. 

Hmmm really interesting bit of news here.  

Can someone decipher and let us know if there is really smoke here?

If the Pats don't sign another big back or if they end up trading or releasing (Lewis or White, unlikely), then I may be tempted to take the bait of Burkhead shares depending on the cost.

Rex Burkhead's one-year, $3.15 million deal makes him the highest-paid Patriots running back since Fred Taylor in 2010.

The Patriots haven't paid a running back $2-plus million in over a half-decade. Some Patriots fans apparently assumed Burkhead would be a special teams-only replacement for Brandon Bolden. According to ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss, Burkhead is "viewed as a key cog, both offensively and on special teams" by the Patriots, while the Providence Journal's Mark Daniels believes Burkhead "is coming to the Patriots with a chance to be their starting running back."

2 people like this

1 minute ago, theSPANKER said:

Hmmm really interesting bit of news here.  

Can someone decipher and let us know if there is really smoke here?

If the Pats don't sign another big back or if they end up trading or releasing (Lewis or White, unlikely), then I may be tempted to take the bait of Burkhead shares depending on the cost.

Rex Burkhead's one-year, $3.15 million deal makes him the highest-paid Patriots running back since Fred Taylor in 2010.

The Patriots haven't paid a running back $2-plus million in over a half-decade. Some Patriots fans apparently assumed Burkhead would be a special teams-only replacement for Brandon Bolden. According to ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss, Burkhead is "viewed as a key cog, both offensively and on special teams" by the Patriots, while the Providence Journal's Mark Daniels believes Burkhead "is coming to the Patriots with a chance to be their starting running back."

We'll see what happens in the draft but I think he's the Blount replacement...except with better receiving skills.  I'll be drafting.

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

We'll see what happens in the draft but I think he's the Blount replacement...except with better receiving skills.  I'll be drafting.

Current ADPs

Blount is at 3.10

Lewis is 7.05

White is 12.08

Keep an eye on preseason and draft accordingly.