General Gannicus

Rex Burkhead 2017 Outlook

The Pats being well behind and in pass-only mode really limited his snaps in the 2nd half. Lewis and White dominated the hurry-up offense and shotgun snaps, and it seemed like Burkhead only got in about 5-7 plays in the 2nd half...Great fantasy production overall last night, but still a bit worrisome with his 2nd half usage and Pittsburgh on tap for next week. I'd feel more comfortable if the Pats were playing a lesser opponent this week, with a more balanced gameplan being likely....While he has been fantastic these last few weeks, I think the worry with the 3-headed monster of Lewis, Burkhead, and White, is if the Pats go pass heavy with Lewis and White in the backfield and Burkhead can't find the endzone (I mean you can't count on him to score every week).  A potential zero out of your RB or FLEX spot would be a crushing blow to your team's lineup.  While the fantasy ceiling and TD potential is high for Burkhead, the potential floor is could be extremely low, making him a more risk/reward play than one would hope for in the playoffs.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jimbohalt1031 said:

The Pats being well behind and in pass-only mode really limited his snaps in the 2nd half. Lewis and White dominated the hurry-up offense and shotgun snaps, and it seemed like Burkhead only got in about 5-7 plays in the 2nd half...Great fantasy production overall last night, but still a bit worrisome with his 2nd half usage and Pittsburgh on tap for next week. I'd feel more comfortable if the Pats were playing a lesser opponent this week, with a more balanced gameplan being likely....While he has been fantastic these last few weeks, I think the worry with the 3-headed monster of Lewis, Burkhead, and White, is if the Pats go pass heavy with Lewis and White in the backfield and Burkhead can't find the endzone (I mean you can't count on him to score every week).  A potential zero out of your RB or FLEX spot would be a crushing blow to your team's lineup.  While the fantasy ceiling and TD potential is high for Burkhead, the potential floor is could be extremely low, making him a more risk/reward play than one would hope for in the playoffs.   

17 snaps on offense and 18 on special teams last night. 

Let's be honest.  He's a Pats RB.  I'd be more concerned if people weren't concerned.

Yes, you read that correctly.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, furbz420 said:

how you can bench the Patriots main TD scorer with a potential shootout with the Steelers on the horizon is beyond me. 

I might bench him because I have good alternatives and because I'm overinvested in the Patriots and want to diversify.  Then again I might not.

5 hours ago, parrothead said:

Cant fault him, he did what is expected from RB2, probably most frustrating was a couple of the goal line plays were not necessarily "hurry up" the Amendola score/not score the time to review, could have put Rex in to be goal line back as he has been for the last month.  Him not scoring at all in 2nd half and Landry scoring twice resulted in 4 point loss.  Both of us were the highest scoring teams all week, so sucked one of us had to lose.  When Rex scored first TD, I thought I was ok...guess not. 

I hear ya brother...lost by 6 with Drake & Burkhead needing about 9 points more half way through the 3rd qtr. only to watch neither get the call at the goal line despite multiple trips by both teams.

5 hours ago, Jetdog16 said:

Negative nancy's are overreacting to bizarre game script that limited the entire Pats offense. If you were watching, Dion Lewis didn't get many 2nd half touches either. People are seriously worried about James white? The touch distribution last night was Lewis 10, Burk 10, White 3. Go ahead and bench him, because you don't deserve Rex in your lineup.

Did you watch or even check to see what the "facts" show ?

I know what they showed, something I already knew but thought "this time" they won't do it again :o but they did ! 

The bizarre game script was of their own choice for a large part. Burkhead touched the ball once in the entire 2nd half despite running at least a half dozen plays in the red zone. The scoring drive before the half he had two catches for 23 & 8 yds then got replaced once they got down inside the 35 or so with well over a minute left.

Don't know if it's BB or McDaniels behind the play calling or personnel choices but they love to go contrarian more than most teams . Can't argue with their success in "real" football but I can tell you that ended my season because I thought Burkhead had earned , No he "deserved" to be in my lineup. Against any team Rex would be involved in goal line & passing game with at least a few carries.

Maybe you're Miss Cleo and can read the tea leaves to know what the Patriots will do on any given day or night but all signs dictated sticking to what had been working for you since Burkhead had delivered the goods since getting healthy and given the opportunity. That's not what they do, not what they've done in the past, and work with me here. What would be your predictions for the future on the Patriots RB rotation :wacko:

My prediction...They are almost likely to get cute as to stick with what has consistently worked for them. Did the same thing with Legarrette Blount in first game of playoffs in NFL last year vs Hou when they gave him 8 carries in an easy win over the Brock Lobster led Texans. Dion Lewis got 13 after barely getting back healthy before then ... it's what they do !

Pats Goalline back is a must start every week.  Pats always get some endzone PI that sets them up at the 1 yard line like clockwork.  

6 hours ago, jimbohalt1031 said:

That was the reason I benched Alex Collins this week and it nearly cost me, as I won by .46 points thanks to the last Gostowski FG after the Pats had a 1st-and-goal at the 1/2 yard line.

2 hours ago, dogfightgiggle said:

Dude put up 16pts in my PPR league.  If he had done this Sunday afternoon you'd all be swooning.

yes, because his glaring lack of second half usage wouldn't have been seen under the lights. What's that got to do with anything of relevance? Are you suggesting that ignorance is bliss and there's nothing to see here?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

yes, because his glaring lack of second half usage wouldn't have been seen under the lights. What's that got to do with anything of relevance? Are you suggesting that ignorance is bliss and there's nothing to see here?

He's a committee back for the Pats.  His usage will be stupefying at times.

Pitt now middle of the road against the run without Shazier. Baltimore just tore them a new a** on the ground. 

Baltimore gives up 10th most points through the air to joker backs. 

Burkhead is a solid 15 in PPR this week with up side to the low 20's if he gets multiple TD's. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dogfightgiggle said:

Dude put up 16pts in my PPR league.  If he had done this Sunday afternoon you'd all be swooning.

Solid numbers with just as many points left off the board. This is the playoffs and should be all the teams are good. 

Patriots cap the ceiling by their incessant toying with the RB situation. I got knocked out by Theo Riddick outperforming Burkhead when no way in he*l he should have. You can keep saying it doesn't matter. Well it will to me next week when I am sitting out watching the team I should've beat easily. Just glad it cost the Patriots a game and hopefully home field throughout the playoffs 

1 hour ago, howlin' 2 said:

Solid numbers with just as many points left off the board. This is the playoffs and should be all the teams are good. 

Patriots cap the ceiling by their incessant toying with the RB situation. I got knocked out by Theo Riddick outperforming Burkhead when no way in he*l he should have. You can keep saying it doesn't matter. Well it will to me next week when I am sitting out watching the team I should've beat easily. Just glad it cost the Patriots a game and hopefully home field throughout the playoffs 

I just had this same thought 

I think I'm gonna roll Westbrook, Kupp, and JuJu and pine this 

This is like 10-15 and 10-15 isn't getting you to the title game 

Time to swing for the fences 

Let's just say I'd feel WAY better about starting him in week 16 vs Buff AFTER verifying his usage this week. Granted that comes with the understanding that I could be leaving 15+ points on my bench 

1 hour ago, Joe Odam said:

Let's just say I'd feel WAY better about starting him in week 16 vs Buff AFTER verifying his usage this week. Granted that comes with the understanding that I could be leaving 15+ points on my bench 

There is no such thing as "verified" usage projections meaning squat when it comes to NE RB's .

As annoyed with the NE B.S. I wouldn't absolutely bench Burkhead unless my alternatives had equally good matchup . THEN I would more than likely lean towards going away from playing the Patriots games.

Edited by howlin' 2

11 hours ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

Pitt now middle of the road against the run without Shazier. Baltimore just tore them a new a** on the ground. 

Baltimore gives up 10th most points through the air to joker backs. 

Burkhead is a solid 15 in PPR this week with up side to the low 20's if he gets multiple TD's. 

10 hours ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

I just had this same thought 

I think I'm gonna roll Westbrook, Kupp, and JuJu and pine this 

This is like 10-15 and 10-15 isn't getting you to the title game 

Time to swing for the fences 

LMAO. I'm confused. You did a complete 180 in one hour. lol

2 minutes ago, howlin' 2 said:

There is no such thing as "verified" usage projections meaning squat when it comes to NE RB's .

As annoyed with the NE B.S. I wouldn't absolutely bench Burkhead unless my alternatives had equally good matchup . THEN I would more than likely lean towards going away from playing the Patriots games.

Having an equally capable substitute was an unannounced assumption. All playoff teams should equipped to handle swapping out 2’s and flexes if they’ve made it this far

2 hours ago, Joe Odam said:

Having an equally capable substitute was an unannounced assumption. All playoff teams should equipped to handle swapping out 2’s and flexes if they’ve made it this far

Instead of hypothetical let's test an actual example.

J. Stewart coming off huge game vs GB who has gotten run over back to back weeks and @ Carolina. Who do you got ???

On matchup in PPR I'd give Burkhead the nod without much hesitation. Standard really close. But the kicker here is that I trust Rivera & Shula braintrust to feed the rock to Stewart and keep Rodgers off the field. Now if Stewart does nothing with it at least it was a good chance.

McDaniel and BB Eyes look at things differently. Might decide to feature J. White in matchup against Shazier's replacement. Who knows ?

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. Switch places with the coaches and I play Burkhead w/o hesitation any day. That's the scenario that bit me in the arse last week. 

:o

I like how everyone was hoping mad this preseason trying to figure out which Patriots RB would be the next version of 2016 LaGarrette Blount, we finally get him (took long enough), and now so many people are shying away. 

• Like 3

I started him last week....

This week Im shying away, Whites snap count increasing and hes really TD dependent.. Im going M.Davis this week due to volume 

59 minutes ago, metalmat said:

I like how everyone was hoping mad this preseason trying to figure out which Patriots RB would be the next version of 2016 LaGarrette Blount, we finally get him (took long enough), and now so many people are shying away. 

His red zone numbers aren't consistent. If you check the numbers, Lewis has gotten red zone carries too. Up to this point Crackhead has gotten the touchdowns but that could change week-to-week.