General Gannicus

Rex Burkhead 2017 Outlook

102 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, mrblonde1984 said:

"I'd disagree with the notion that NE doesn't pay just for situational contributors. Matthew Slater is technically a WR, but his value is on special teams. He's making $1.7M this season, is a team captain, and doesn't sniff the offensive huddle unless there are 3 injuries to WRs in front of him. While I do believe Burkhead will have a role on offense, I don't think it's crazy to think that Belichick looked at Burkhead, liked his all-round skills as a back, but REALLY liked his contributions on special teams. Most likely, he saw a versatile player he could sign for around $3M and decided he was worth adding." 

I could've been more specific, as I've read that until just recently, the Patriots haven't paid any RB over $2M since 2010. Meaning of course, that for some time they've placed a pretty low value on the position. If memory serves, their offer to Blount was just $1M. Reportedly, he felt they were lowballing him. Bulkhead's versatility is what makes him a viable 3-down RB. His injury history is a concern, but perhaps he does have a 180-touch season in him?      

46 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

I could've been more specific, as I've read that until just recently, the Patriots haven't paid any RB over $2M since 2010. Meaning of course, that for some time they've placed a pretty low value on the position. If memory serves, their offer to Blount was just $1M. Reportedly, he felt they were lowballing him. Bulkhead's versatility is what makes him a viable 3-down RB. His injury history is a concern, but perhaps he does have a 180-touch season in him?      

Oh ok. Yes, you are correct about them paying backs. Not usually their style at all, and this offseason they've dedicated cap space to re-sign White, sign Burkhead and make an offer to Gillislee. 

I wonder if Belichick has something planned specific for Burkhead on offense. Maybe a formation where we see Burkhead in the slot and Cooks in the backfield just to cause confusion? 

All I know is he and McDaniels are the mad scientists of the NFL, and the more versatile players you give them, the more creative they'll get {Edelman (college QB) double pass to Amendola....Solder (college TE) eligible in unbalanced line}

1 person likes this