Mavis

Julius Thomas 2017 Outlook

108 posts in this topic

Searched and found nothing. He is back with Gase and out of TE death zone in Jacksonville. He doesnt have Manning but can we expect him to do something in Miami? 

Not really, he is the 4th or 5th option in a Ryan Tannehill offense that usually can only support one WR.

Edited by CL3VELANDBR0WNS

Only player from MIA that I'd want on my team is Landry. JT just isn't getting it done anymore.

Plus the fact he makes Keenan Allen look like an ironman.

Jthom is a DND for me, too brittle, too unrelaible and on a new team  that the TE barely saw the ball. waiver wire filler only

Nothin excites me about Orange Julius these days 

Waiver wire filler only? lol Quality.

Im glad I didnt start this thread for information. 10 responses and nothing more than a one line of rhetoric. No discussion, just "I dont like him and my opinion of saying that should be all that matters." Is this a running thing in this here, provide no discussion just negative rhetoric because you believe your screen name and your opinion on record matters?

Julius Thomas had success under Gase, granted he had Manning too, but Gase knows how to use Thomas and clearly wanted him. He did have a good first two games before he hurt himself in week 3 and was never right again and even finished the season on IR. Allen Robinson did not have a great year in Jacksonville in fact busted but people still have him high on their boards in the same offense. The selective narrative in fantasy is always lurking. Thomas is not an elite TE fantasy producer, but when healthy he is athletic and can make some plays. Tannehill is not great, but 50/600/8 is not out of the question with Gase running things. I'll take roughly 160 points out of him. He had 82 points in 8 1/2 games last year so not a bad pace on a team that didnt utilize him. 10-11 ppg a week should be his avg. a Top 12 TE. So he will start many weeks for some people.

As the OP starting a thread, I am well aware Thomas is not a stud, but I am the one who has to provide reasonable discussion to my own thread asking for some. 

Edited by Mavis
3 people like this

42 minutes ago, Mavis said:

Waiver wire filler only? lol Quality.

Im glad I didnt start this thread for information. 10 responses and nothing more than a one line of rhetoric. No discussion, just "I dont like him and my opinion of saying that should be all that matters." Is this a running thing in this here, provide no discussion just negative rhetoric because you believe your screen name and your opinion on record matters?

Julius Thomas had success under Gase, granted he had Manning too, but Gase knows how to use Thomas and clearly wanted him. He did have a good first two games before he hurt himself in week 3 and was never right again and even finished the season on IR. Allen Robinson did not have a great year in Jacksonville in fact busted but people still have him high on their boards in the same offense. The selective narrative in fantasy is always lurking. Thomas is not an elite TE fantasy producer, but when healthy he is athletic and can make some plays. Tannehill is not great, but 50/600/8 is not out of the question with Gase running things. I'll take roughly 160 points out of him. He had 82 points in 8 1/2 games last year so not a bad pace on a team that didnt utilize him. 10-11 ppg a week should be his avg. a Top 12 TE. So he will start many weeks for some people.

As the OP starting a thread, I am well aware Thomas is not a stud, but I am the one who has to provide reasonable discussion to my own thread asking for some. 

The consensus on this thread is that JT is at best the 3rd option on a Tannehill offense who in 6 seasons has surpassed 50 catches and 500 yards once -- when his QB threw for 5500 yards and 50+ TDs. He has done nothing since Peyton's play fell off a cliff in the middle of the 2014 season, plus he is made of glass. There are literally 15-20 TEs I'd rather have, especially in PPR. That's WW material. 

2 people like this

If you draft him as anything more than a bye week/backup TE you really have no idea what you're doing.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, petekrum said:

If you draft him as anything more than a bye week/backup TE you really have no idea what you're doing.

Riveting analysis. 

he just doesnt stay healthy enough on a week to week basis to  use a draft pick on. TE position is the most  boom but usually bust  scoring slot to fill 

Edited by dashoe

44 minutes ago, Mavis said:

Riveting analysis. 

He doesn't deserve more. You seem to be the only one who can't figure that out.

1 minute ago, petekrum said:

He doesn't deserve more. You seem to be the only one who can't figure that out.

OR I am clearly the only capable one of a deeper discussion even in the worst players, the rhetoric and hyperbole seems to be your only contribution on this board. A starting TE doesnt deserve more discussion is what you provide? Riveting. Provide something more then rhetoric and hyperbole, just once.

On 4/2/2017 at 9:55 AM, joshua18 said:

The consensus on this thread is that JT is at best the 3rd option on a Tannehill offense who in 6 seasons has surpassed 50 catches and 500 yards once -- when his QB threw for 5500 yards and 50+ TDs. He has done nothing since Peyton's play fell off a cliff in the middle of the 2014 season, plus he is made of glass. There are literally 15-20 TEs I'd rather have, especially in PPR. That's WW material. 

Consensus on this thread is that? OK, lets say all the rhetorical nonsense that was provided by peopel who seem to believe when they make a post of opinion it should be considered fact because they said so. Consensus is always right? 

anyone can walk into the star players threads and discuss the studs, but clearly not many are able to discuss the deeper players on the draft board. 

Edited by Mavis

I think the reason people are giving you one liners, is because most believe him to be that far down their lists.

(@petekrum beat me to the comment as I was typing it out)

May as well talk about Kickers if we are going to discuss low end TE2/TE3 types.

Why am I down on Thomas:

It almost starts and ends with his inability to stay healthy... he has never played a full season, so the extrapolation argument does not apply.

Second, his career year with Peyton Manning was tremendous, but that was much, much more about Gase's relationship with Manning then Thomas.

Third, at this stage of his career he seems simply a Red Zone target to me... perhaps value in a TD only league.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Winky said:

I think the reason people are giving you one liners, is because most believe him to be that far down their lists.

(Petekrum beat me to the comment as I was typing it out)

May as well talk about Kickers if we are going to discuss low end TE2/TE3 types.

Why am I down on Thomas:

It almost starts and ends with his inability to stay healthy... he has never played a full season, so the extrapolation argument does not apply.

Second, his career year with Peyton Manning was tremendous, but that was much, much more about Gase's relationship with Manning then Thomas.

Third, at this stage of his career he seems simply a Red Zone target to me... perhaps value in a TD only league.

No, I am just able to find value in deeper players on the board and am able to discuss more players than just the given studs.

His health has been an issue. Cool so an injury is guaranteed, what other players are guaranteed to get hurt? This will be very helpful... 

the reason peopel are giving one liners is that seems to be the only knowledge they have on the player since Roto and ESPN have not updated their blurbs. Anyone can discuss studs, but can you find value late in the draft? Clearly not if this is how peopel value players. 

Mavis I think ur missing the point; if u value him then you should discuss his merits and educate people as to why u value him the way you do.  Attacking people for their criteria as to why they don't care for him because you think there should be some sort of analytical standard that  is on par to your own is rather silly. 

Basically picking a fantasy player will always come down to an opinion regardless of the analytical process.

If I don't think a guy is healthy and too big of a risk to start week to week vs another player then that's all the analysis I need.

2 people like this

If you play in deep leagues, he is worth discussing.

If you play in a typical 12x20 league (like most people here), he is a waiver wire/injury fill in guy.

Even you provided injury disclaimers in your description of the player.

Your talking about getting 160 points from him? Please.

I owned him in his best year and did not think he was all that great then... great stats, but not a great player. 

For me, it was more about scoring a piece of Manning's offense rather than having Julius Thomas.

You are lashing out at us for providing our opinions.

All you've done was start a thread and whine about peoples low opinion of the guy.

Not sure what the words you need to hear to create dialogue (other than someone agreeing with you).

Judging by the community opinion of the guy, he'll still be there for you in the 15th round or later.

If you are right, you'll have a nice asset and great late round value.

oh  and for perspective i have owned JT his last season on Denver and 2 yrs on the jags;  dude is never healthy for a season and it sux to scramble week to week finding a replacement for him. Owning him has actually shown me the value of streaming TE's week to week vs wasting draft picks on anyone not named Gronk

Edited by dashoe
1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Mavis said:

OR I am clearly the only capable one of a deeper discussion even in the worst players, the rhetoric and hyperbole seems to be your only contribution on this board. A starting TE doesnt deserve more discussion is what you provide? Riveting. Provide something more then rhetoric and hyperbole, just once.

Yeah you got it all figured out. Why don't you dazzle us with a multi paragraph breakdown on the merits of Markus Wheaton, or Ted Ginn, or Wendall Smallwood.

2 people like this