Meadowlark

Top Dynasty Pick-Ups

That time has come when teams are being eliminated from the playoffs and their owners must console themselves with daydreams of future glories. I am picking up Dejounte Murray and Denzel Valentine on speculation that they could be contributors as soon as next season. What other players deserve consideration as end-of-season dynasty grabs?

• Like 1

I really like Jamal Murray as a player, but they'll need to move some players for him to really blow up next year.  Also feeling the Valentine thing.

I believe Prince can take over Shefolosha's role for the Hawks. The coaching staff loves his defensive effort.

Jamal Murray and LeVert should be solid pickups as well. Especially LeVert I think can develop into a great real life and fantasy player.

• Like 1

Deeper leagues:

Zizic

Bogdanovic

Richardson

Papagiannis

Prince

Murray, D

Hernangomez, both

TLC

Vonleh

Bertrans

Oubre

• Like 1

I feel like we do this every season and it's always just the top rookies that get mentioned. These guys were either drafted in the summer or stashed early on when they showed flashes. There's no way they're even possibly end of the season stashes. No offense to any suggestion thus far, but a lot of these guys are gone in my dynasty league (and should probably be owned in most others). Typically, any rookie or young guy who is somewhat contributing on a consistent basis, has a solidified role, or is starting, even only now and then, is probably long gone in dynasty.

I think Puzz (and by extension Gile) have the right idea. Malachi, PapaG, and Bogdan (if he comes over) have the chances to be very solid players in the NBA and may fall into the right situation next year. In addition to Zizic, Guerschon could have a similar role, maybe slightly less depending on which bigs leave. I do think Yabu has the chance to put up more well rounded fantasy lines though, even in less time.

Guys not in this rookie class, but from the previous couple should also be considered. Vonleh is a good idea as a flier. Hasn't shown much over the years, but is only 21. And is playing really good right now. Delon Wright if available could be a really good one. Really good defensive stats, and if Kyle does end up leaving, he'll blow up. Another flier is someone like James Young. Again hasn't shown a whole lot in his limited NBA time, but he is crazy young, and has played well as of late. If Montrezl was dropped after Capela came back, that could be another guy to look at. I believe Nene is on the final year of his contract. If Harrell locks down that back-up 5, he's shown he can produce in limited minutes.

Young guys who have under performed since being drafted might be good trade targets. Exum, Mudiay, Stanley Johnson, Kris Dunn, etc. If they can be gotten for the right price, would definitely be worth the gamble.

• Like 1

Rooks: Taurean Prince, Caris Lavert, Skal Labissere

(assuming Buddy, Ingram, Murray, Chriss, Zubac, Brogdon, Ulis, and Yogi are not on the wire to be picked up)

Others to watch if situations change:  Sam Dekker, Bobby Portis (in a good situation just needs consistency), RHJefferson (same), Montrezl Harrell, Rich Homie, Norman Powell, Bogdan Bogdanovic (if he comes over soon),Trey Lyles (I still have hope!), Allen Crabbe

(assuming WCS, Kaminsky, TJ McConnell, Alan Williams are already owned)

Some really, really deep fliers:

Pascal Siakam (Ibaka is a FA this summer)

Deyonta Davis (Really talented, has played solid when given the minutes this year. Slipped to the 2nd round due to injury/attitude concerns. Jam/Randolph are FAs)

Paul Zipser (Has been a solid role player this year. Won't ever wow from a fantasy perspective, but cant be a solid contributor to any team)

Isaiah Whitehead (One of my personal favorite players from this last draft. Outplaying a lot of PGs from the 2016 class. Can have a really good role next year)

Patrick McCaw (another year of trust may earn him a more consistent role)

Edited by FroButtons
  • Like 1

Denzel Valentine should be mentionned, he's super consistent & will become a jack of ALL trades. Juancho Hernangomez is also an add to cart in dynasty.

Hard not to love what Holmes is doing but unless he traded, it looks like he is going to be Embiids backup for a long time. So his dynasty value is meh. 

Just now, BbFlyEmCeE said:

Denzel Valentine should be mentionned, he's super consistent & will become a jack of ALL trades. Juancho Hernangomez is also an add to cart in dynasty.

Juancho is actually unowned in my dynasty league as of this moment. I plan to scoop him up when my playoffs are over. Unless Denver trades Gallo or Will this summer his role won't be any diff for another year atleast which stinks.  He's going to be a good one. 

I've watched Zizic play in ABA league this year and he was far from impressive. I hear about how good he is all the time, but whenever I watch him he doesn't show anything. Maybe it's because our team is so bad and he doesn't feel like he has to play at his best.

Dejounte Murray is very talented, but he's a long term stash. Until Parker retires he won't get enough minutes to be productive.

2 hours ago, tallball said:

Dejounte Murray is very talented, but he's a long term stash. Until Parker retires he won't get enough minutes to be productive.

Agreed. But keep in mind that Ginobili probably retires after this season and Parker will probably follow next year (already plays only 25 mpg) + Backup Patty Mills could leave as an UFA.

I think a good amount of minutes can be obtained sooner than expected. 

He's a keeper formy dynasty team. 

7 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Agreed. But keep in mind that Ginobili probably retires after this season and Parker will probably follow next year (already plays only 25 mpg) + Backup Patty Mills could leave as an UFA.

I think a good amount of minutes can be obtained sooner than expected. 

He's a keeper formy dynasty team. 

+1. Parker's skills are eroding, and he's most likely done after next year. And Pops is clearly grooming DMurray to take over, so the talented youngster likely gets some meaningful minutes next year spelling TP before taking over full-time in 2018-19. That works for me in a dynasty. 

Yeah, I know the title says dynasty so don't slap me too hard for being Captain Obvious, but lots of fantasy owners- even experienced ones- take that to mean something almost synonymous to a keeper league. 

If you can only take a few players forward from this year (and assuming it's related to where they were drafted-or not- this year, that's the only kind that makes sense to me) and you can only keep them once or twice, D-Murray is probably a bad choice.  He's not gonna be the man until late next year at the earliest, and that's not gonna pay off for most keeper leagues.

Likewise, I don't think guys like Yogi and Ulis aren't going to get the run or control the offense next year like they're doing now.

3 hours ago, tallball said:

I've watched Zizic play in ABA league this year and he was far from impressive. I hear about how good he is all the time, but whenever I watch him he doesn't show anything. Maybe it's because our team is so bad and he doesn't feel like he has to play at his best.

Zizic had 20 pts on 70% and 9 rebs in ABA league this year. If he wasn't far from impressive he would have 40 and 20?

6 hours ago, RipCity0 said:

Zizic had 20 pts on 70% and 9 rebs in ABA league this year. If he wasn't far from impressive he would have 40 and 20?

I'm aware of his stats. I've watched him live twice and both times it looked like he has no motor. But like I said, it could be because he was playing a god awful Olimpija team and didn't think he needs to play at his best.

To be fair I watched him too against my team (Olympiacos) and he wasn't really good, but he clearly has great talent.

15 hours ago, Tom Chambers said:

Likewise, I don't think guys like Yogi and Ulis aren't going to get the run or control the offense next year like they're doing now.

Why not for Yogi?

Unless they get the big guy from Zona, it's more likely to me that either whoever they draft or Barrea will be at the point, with the pick and Barnes being the primary ball handlers (even if not at point).

I could be wrong, I just don't think Yogi is wowing enough to get the keys next year.

Anyone think Oubre Jr. Could start next year if Porter gets a huge offer and Washington can't match it ??

4 hours ago, chud12 said:

Anyone think Oubre Jr. Could start next year if Porter gets a huge offer and Washington can't match it ??

No way Washington doesn't match a max offer which Porter would almost certainly get. 3&D wings coming off their rookie deals all get big contracts. In general, players coming off their rookie deals get matched because teams don't want to lose players who will presumably only get better. See the contracts for Crabbe, Tyler Johnson, etc. last year. Teams might let a big go though because there are only so many minutes for bigs in the modern NBA. 

1 hour ago, omgwtfmate said:

No way Washington doesn't match a max offer which Porter would almost certainly get. 3&D wings coming off their rookie deals all get big contracts. In general, players coming off their rookie deals get matched because teams don't want to lose players who will presumably only get better. See the contracts for Crabbe, Tyler Johnson, etc. last year. Teams might let a big go though because there are only so many minutes for bigs in the modern NBA. 

Washinhton can not afford to match a max offer.