Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smarmy

Daniel Vogelbach - 1B SEA

He seems ready for the majors and may be a good trade piece for the Cubs. I'm surprised there isn't more hype (aside from position/defensive questions). Could he be a Yankee soon?

I've been hoping the Yankees get Vogelbach for over a year now. He's positionless and has to be a DH to play in the majors. He's super unathletic but he's got great plate discipline, a plus hit tool and power tool. And the best part obviously is he hardly strikes out and knows how to take walks. I'm at the point now that if the Cubs do not trade him by the deadline, they are literally destroying a good hitters career because he's trapped in the NL and is already getting old for a prospect. The Cubs can deff use a Chapman or Miller, the Yankees better be smart enough to have Vogelbach included in any deal. Im a Lifelong Yankee fan and a Cashman hater. It wouldn't shock me if Cashman wouldn't know to get this kid. With tex and arod pretty much already injured and beltran in the outfield usually now, Vogelbach would be a guy who could clean up those bases which the Yankees pretty much are useless at now

Nope. If the Yankees need a DH-type, theyll just sign Edgar Martinez.

I feel ya on the Cashman hate, although to be fair, his hands have been tied for the majority of his yankees career.

8 hours ago, aMediumPace said:

Nope. If the Yankees need a DH-type, theyll just sign Edgar Martinez.

I feel ya on the Cashman hate, although to be fair, his hands have been tied for the majority of his yankees career.

He has made some good signings like Miller, but I agree certain things have been out of his control such as giving A Rod and CC those huge contracts after they opted out. The Tex signing will look okay in the end, and the Castro trade looks like it will be good. Headley is a joke though. 

The problem with the Yankees trading for Vogelbach is that their DH is still kind of clogged for another year or two. Tex and ARod will still fill that area, and Bird will be back next year. I think they should trade for him if he was part of a deal, but not the centerpiece for the return of one of their relievers. 

I swore he had a page, was it deleted?  Anyhow, he's an obvious trade candidate.  I would put a lot of money on him getting dealt for pitching.  He's blocked at 1B, and cannot play anywhere else.  AL teams should target him as a possible DH.  He will be traded, count on it.  I'm sure the Cubs are very happy with the season he's having.  He's improved his stock with his numbers at AAA.

Vogelbach to The Yankees makes a lot of sense.  Vogelbach & Soler for Andrew Miller & PTBNL is what I'm hoping goes down for fantasy purposes.

Vogelbach is definitely a bat only profile by and large (Yanks have Bird as a long term option at 1B, though Vogelbach could certainly get spot starts here and there long term). I don't think the Yanks would go for Vogelbach and Soler though, I think they're looking for a through the roof return for Miller.

12 hours ago, Dark One said:

Vogelbach is definitely a bat only profile by and large (Yanks have Bird as a long term option at 1B, though Vogelbach could certainly get spot starts here and there long term). I don't think the Yanks would go for Vogelbach and Soler though, I think they're looking for a through the roof return for Miller.

The Yanks will probably find out soon enough that no one is going to pay through the roof for a reliever.  Yes, he is an exceptional reliever but still a reliever.  Vogelbach and Soler is more than enough for Miller, if offered that the Yanks should take it.  Maybe they could ask for some AA or A guys as throw ins to make the deal seem like they're getting a haul.

I've definitely heard the opposite from the national columnists in terms of the Yankees holding firm on a huge asking price for Miller (Buster Olney heard from a source that the Yankees will demand Schwarber and will have no problem moving on to another contender or simply keeping Miller if the price isn't met).

3 hours ago, Dark One said:

I've definitely heard the opposite from the national columnists in terms of the Yankees holding firm on a huge asking price for Miller (Buster Olney heard from a source that the Yankees will demand Schwarber and will have no problem moving on to another contender or simply keeping Miller if the price isn't met).

The Yankees are idiots then ... They won't get a player near the value of Schwarber.  Vogelbach and Soler for Miller and PTBNL is already The Yankees winning by a large margin.  RPs just do not hold the type of value as young MLB ready position players.  You're talking about two bats who will likely hit 3,4,5,6 for a number of of years in New York compared to an elite RP in his 30's who will be paid 9 million a year for the next 2.5 seasons.  Yeah even in his career year (which is now) Miller doesn't value more than the next 4 - 6 years of middle of the order bats.

Soler's stock has definitely dropped the past few seasons (181 K's to 55 BB's ratio in 585 MLB AB's to go along with a .258 avg and .745 OPS, with even worse power and avg. numbers this season in a fantastic lineup) and Vogelbach will be a primary contributor on the offensive side only (which is great for fantasy, but in real life the defensive contributions are every bit as important and Bird right now is their 1B of the future which leaves Vogelbach as a DH option only, making him far less valuable an asset).

I don't think it's enough and highly doubt that package lands them Miller.

9 minutes ago, Dark One said:

Soler's stock has definitely dropped the past few seasons (181 K's to 55 BB's ratio in 585 MLB AB's to go along with a .258 avg and .745 OPS, with even worse power and avg. numbers this season in a fantastic lineup) and Vogelbach will be a primary contributor on the offensive side only (which is great for fantasy, but in real life the defensive contributions are every bit as important and Bird right now is their 1B of the future which leaves Vogelbach as a DH option only, making him far less valuable an asset).

I don't think it's enough and highly doubt that package lands them Miller.

this

The Padres just got a stud prospect for Rodney. Ken Giles got a huge return. What makes you guys think the Yankees won't get a premium for any of their three star relievers? Sorry to hijack the thread.

Yanks inform Andrew Miller he won't be traded - Chapman could definitely be on the move, which makes sense given he's a free agent after this season. Perhaps Vogelbach can be part of a package for the latter.

Referring to Miller, Barry Bloom writes: "Would another club like to have the left-hander? He has 43 saves during his season and a half as a Yankee and might be the best value in the Major Leagues at $9 million a year through 2018. You bet."

http://m.yankees.mlb.com/news/article/187769746/yankees-tell-andrew-miller-he-wont-be-traded

6 hours ago, smarmy said:

The Padres just got a stud prospect for Rodney. Ken Giles got a huge return. What makes you guys think the Yankees won't get a premium for any of their three star relievers? Sorry to hijack the thread.

Stud prospect?  Paddack is in A ball.  If he had time in AA and about to be promoted to AAA or already in AAA and putting up numbers then he could be a stud. Nobody knows for sure what Paddack is going to be.  Maybe in 5 years this trade looks bad for the Marlins, but at the moment it is one that bolsters their bullpen.

Vogelbach is a AAA bat and that is about as premium as the Yankees can expect.

Trading MLB ready SP or Bats for relievers are exactly what the Astros proved you do not do because relievers are unhittable and then very hittable...Giles, Rosenthal, Street, Johnson, Storen, etc.

4 minutes ago, FJZ12 said:

Stud prospect?  Paddack is in A ball.  If he had time in AA and about to be promoted to AAA or already in AAA and putting up numbers then he could be a stud. Nobody knows for sure what Paddack is going to be.  Maybe in 5 years this trade looks bad for the Marlins, but at the moment it is one that bolsters their bullpen.

Vogelbach is a AAA bat and that is about as premium as the Yankees can expect.

Trading MLB ready SP or Bats for relievers are exactly what the Astros proved you do not do because relievers are unhittable and then very hittable...Giles, Rosenthal, Street, Johnson, Storen, etc.

Good points...I digress. 

Rotoworld:

Cubs 1B prospect Dan Vogelbach slashed four hits including his 16th home run of the season Monday in Triple-A Iowa’s loss to Salt Lake.

The four hits were a season-high for Vogelbach. The 23-year-old has now hit safely in 10 of his last 11 games. He’s hit .450 during that span while lifting his season average from .298 to .318. Vogelbach leads the Pacific Coast League in on base percentage (.425) and is also second in walks (55), fourth in RBI (64) and sixth in home runs. Monday was Vogelbach’s 500th game in the minor leagues.

Time to pick him up in anticipation of a trade? Everything looks impressive especially OBP. I really dont think he has anything left to prove in the minors. He would be nothing more than a bench guy on the Cubs with the Rizzo roadblock. He could be a good DH somewhere!

On Saturday, July 02, 2016 at 6:55 AM, FJZ12 said:

The Yanks will probably find out soon enough that no one is going to pay through the roof for a reliever.  Yes, he is an exceptional reliever but still a reliever.  Vogelbach and Soler is more than enough for Miller, if offered that the Yanks should take it.  Maybe they could ask for some AA or A guys as throw ins to make the deal seem like they're getting a haul.

You know when they do pay allot for an RP? When they believe they have a chance to make a run for a ring. You'd be surprised what teams would give up for an elite reliever like Chapman/Miller. I do agree that a bat like schwarber would be pushing it. But not if you are trying to make a deal with Chapman and Miller in the same deal which is something the Cubs said they would want. Then schwarber and more would deff be feasible. No runs DMC Chicago style minus Bettances but + Rondon. That would be insane. I would like to see the Yankees get vogelbach, zagunis, happ, even Ian rice for if and when Gary Sanchez proves a bust you know their high obp high AVG hitters. The Yankees could use high obp young controllable bats like that. I am a Lifelong Yankees fan but hate Cashman and don't expect him to pull off anything great.

On 7/3/2016 at 1:43 PM, smarmy said:

Aaaaand how well did those trades work out for the teams gaining the RP?  Vincent Velasquez alone is already far better than Giles not to mention younger.

Andrew Miller is at a fairly scary point in his career.  He's 31 RPs don't generally have the career longevity of a position player.  

Also you will start to see that RPs just about grow on trees if you're only looking for a season or two.  So many failed starters out there who can just pump 96 with a plus slider that are just waiting to be thrown into a max effort 1 inning every couple days type role to be successful.   RP depth is huge and the position is volatile and unpredictable. 

RPs are easily the lowest valued position in the league.  Especially in terms of long term value.  The only way these guys get traded are if they are elite if not near elite and to teams who really need them.   

Cubs and Mariners nearing a deal. LHP Mike Montgomery would go to Chicago. DH/1B Dan Vogelbach would be a piece going to Seattle.

Which porch is tougher in Seattle? Right or left? I recall it was the right porch that killed Beltre. Although I consider Vogelbach more of a hitter than a masher. 

19 minutes ago, Professor Turgeson said:

Which porch is tougher in Seattle? Right or left? I recall it was the right porch that killed Beltre. Although I consider Vogelbach more of a hitter than a masher. 

Safeco plays much better to LH hitters.  It's notoriously been a pitcher park but it's played pretty hitter heavy this year.  Last I checked it was top 10 in HR rates.  Mariners have a horrible history with young hitters, Ketel Marte the latest to bust this year.  But new regime and comes from a nice organization.  So perhaps there's hope.

I think he gets called up immediately and takes Lind's place in the lineup most likely at DH. Dae-Ho Lee will continue to play first. Lind will probably be flipped soon as well.

40 minutes ago, avatoot said:

I think he gets called up immediately and takes Lind's place in the lineup most likely at DH. Dae-Ho Lee will continue to play first. Lind will probably be flipped soon as well.

Lind has homered in b2b games with one being a three run game winner.  Not sure its that cut and dry.