FreakFries

Jimmy Garoppolo 2017 Season Outlook

2 hours ago, TheLegacy said:

It's playoff time. If you're willing to start Jimmy G in a 1QB format over someone red hot like McCown or even Winston, more power to you.

Hell. I'm a Niner fan, but I'm not deluded enough to start Jimmy G and put my season on the line with him.

(Deluded comment not aimed at anyone here. I just have a lot of niner friends that think Jimmy G will be the next Joe Montana).

I agree. I’m trotting the horse whomhas shown me grit all season, especially of late....Mr. McCown.  Too bad my Mariota didn’t have his grit. 

Been watching film and film breakdown on him. The guy is pinpoint accurate, calm cool and collective in the pocket, rarely makes mistakes, and still developing chemistry with pass-catchers. Also, in his presser said they are going to work to incorporate more diversity into their offense. He only had a couple off throws in a tough environment, the rest of his incompletions were either drops or great defensive plays. Watch his game tape, he looks like Tom Brady with mobility. 

The only risk is the talent in his pass-catching corps. It's highly unlikely they penalize themselves out of the red zone that many times again.

Furthermore, they play a fire sale defense in a dome. The entire 49er team just gained a huge boost of confidence with him at the helm (evident in his teammates post-game interviews), and Kyle Shanahan will thrive from here on out in play calling now that he's found the ideal quarterback to fit his offense. 

He's my stream of the week and I know it's bold, but I have him as a top 12 QB. I'm putting to rest the concerns of him having little experience, because he's always been a consistent player. Also, I think there's the fear of playing a 49er, but it's time to rid that ill-taste from our mouths!

Edited by Leibinger
  • Like 1

Im benching Cam/Mariota for him this week. Houston is awful right now against the pass and Goodwin/Taylor have emerged as the trusty targets for Jimmy. The upside doesn't feel enormous but it feels as though a lot of our normal qbs have ugly matchups so this may be quick easy 20 point grab just sitting on the wire.

• Like 1

A good read, in case you missed it:

http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/story/0ap3000000888701/article/koh-knows-49ers-fantasy-fortunes-rise-with-jimmy-g

It is still a small sample size, but it is hard to argue that JG is not the real deal.  He has the measureables, and he already does many things very well.  Running a Shanahan offense doesn't hurt either.

His supporting cast is mediocre at best, but with his high-end skills, decent production (especially his floor) is still a safe bet IMO.

• Like 1

To me his game last week was just confirmation of his great - but limited performances when Brady was out during his suspension. It's not like people are banking all of this on a 1 game sample size. He's always looked good whenever given an opportunity. 

Anyone starting him in Game 1 of the playoffs? I can't believe I'm actually leaning more for starting him than not starting him. Also have Goodwin.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Br0kenB said:

Anyone starting him in Game 1 of the playoffs? I can't believe I'm actually leaning more for starting him than not starting him. Also have Goodwin.

I have Stafford and Keenum. Strongly leaning Jimmy G for the volume. My league is 0.5/COMP no penalty for INT

On 12/4/2017 at 2:39 AM, burninglegs said:

Ouch. Hope that gamble didn't tank you and your other guy stepped up to make up the difference.

Haha. That didn't go well, but I won the matchup. And as a Niners fan, still happy with what I saw. 

I am SERIOUSLY considering him over Goff...Goff is good but this week I need great, Eagles defense is amazing and Texans are very open to passes.  I am gambling as my opponent has easy defenses this week and #2 in league where as I lucked into final slot.

3 hours ago, Br0kenB said:

Starting him over Dak(whom i've since dropped, good riddance)

will influence many championship games, even though he will not be in 99.9% of lineups ... how, you ask?

by ringing up points against Jax, that's how ... folks have been circling that matchup in week 16, and drooling - ZOMG!!1!11! 49ers FOR 'CHIP WEEK!!1 WE GOLDEN!!1!

now, not saying Jimmy G and the boys are gonna hang a 30 spot on the Jags, but, this is no longer gonna be that slamdunk 25-30 point outing for  Jax defense, either. 

the great equalizer ... if you wind up facing  the Jags in week 16, you will be able to breathe a bit easier, imo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I feel a lot better after reading the RW start/sit column this week.

Folks, as good as JG has flashed, don't forget, he isn't working with a whole lot.  High ceilings require a quality supporting cast.  While JG has some control over his floor, he'll have a very tough time delivering a big game all by himself.  Temper expectations accordingly.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Folks, as good as JG has flashed, don't forget, he isn't working with a whole lot.  High ceilings require a quality supporting cast.  While JG has some control over his floor, he'll have a very tough time delivering a big game all by himself.  Temper expectations accordingly.   

This is my biggest concern

Jimmy G has the same initials as our Savior, Josh Gordon. I don't think that's a coincidence. 

That being said, Houston has allowed top 10 numbers to QBs since week 5 except for Kevin Hogan and Flacco. First week of playoffs, don't care, going with Jimmy G. 

• Like 1

JG has a lot of nice tools, and Shanahan does a good job of scheming folks open, but Goodwin (a replacement level veteran talent), Taylor (a rookie), Juice (a FB) and Celek (a replacement level, at best, TE) hardly form a scoring juggernaut.  Also, while JG has good movement skills, he's not Cam.  He does well moving in the pocket to secure throwing lanes and to buy time, but I doubt that Shanahan will having him running zone reads repeatedly when they manage to visit the RZ.

In the Bears game, JG did a lot to raise the level of play of everyone around him.  But the limitations of his supporting cast were just as apparent from that game.  Yes, the numerous stupid penalties doomed 4 of the 5 scoring efforts (during the 5th one, they were playing for a FG only) before JG had much of a shot.  However, nothing happened during those drives, or the game in general, to suggest that they would have scored (not settled for a FG) had the penalties been avoided.

I bet we see an offense ROS that moves much better between the 20s than it did, but that struggles to reach the EZ, especially against teams that can defend RBs in both the run and pass game.

9 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

JG has a lot of nice tools, and Shanahan does a good job of scheming folks open, but Goodwin (a replacement level veteran talent), Taylor (a rookie), Juice (a FB) and Celek (a replacement level, at best, TE) hardly form a scoring juggernaut.  Also, while JG has good movement skills, he's not Cam.  He does well moving in the pocket to secure throwing lanes and to buy time, but I doubt that Shanahan will having him running zone reads repeatedly when they manage to visit the RZ.

In the Bears game, JG did a lot to raise the level of play of everyone around him.  But the limitations of his supporting cast were just as apparent from that game.  Yes, the numerous stupid penalties doomed 4 of the 5 scoring efforts (during the 5th one, they were playing for a FG only) before JG had much of a shot.  However, nothing happened during those drives, or the game in general, to suggest that they would have scored (not settled for a FG) had the penalties been avoided.

I bet we see an offense ROS that moves much better between the 20s than it did, but that struggles to reach the EZ, especially against teams that can defend RBs in both the run and pass game.

I don't see it that way at all. Sure the weapons aren't great, but there is no way he is going 0-5 every week. It was his first week leading the offense in a game. The red zone offense will continue to improve each week as JG learns more and further masters the offense. Arguably the worst passing defense this week does not hurt either.

Edited by Dirtywater97

3 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

Jesus Ghrist?

Sorry, didn’t  find that funny, but........Jimmy G.....what movie have you heard that name from?

15 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

buy all the Robbie Gould you can

$🏈$

https://athlonsports.com/fantasy/start-em-sit-em-week-14-2017-cam-newton-and-other-qb-dst-start-sit-fantasy-advice

"Jimmy Garoppolo, SF (at HOU)

JimmyGaroppolo_2017_325.jpgThe 49ers’ offense looked much smoother with Garoppolo at the helm during his Week 13 debut. He didn't lead a touchdown drive, but he did enough to set up five field goals and threw for 293 yards against the Bears. This week is a perfect opportunity for Garoppolo to register QB1 numbers. The Texans allow the third-most fantasy points to quarterbacks per game. Only once since Week 7 did the opposing quarterback not wind up in the top 12 in fantasy points when they played the Texans."

4 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

I don't see it that way at all. Sure the weapons aren't great, but there is no way he is going 0-5 every week. It was his first week leading the offense in a game. The red zone offense will continue to improve each week as JG learns more and further masters the offense. Arguably the worst passing defense this week does not hurt either.

A successful "red zone offense" requires more than just a QB.  Look, I have followed Goodwin, Taylor and the rest of the offensive group since OTAs and mini-camp.  Garcon was the only legit RZ weapon they had, and even he wasn't what I would characterize as a high end RZ weapon. 

I am not suggesting that it is impossible for JG to score with this current group.  I am just pointing out the obvious, which is that when it comes to RZ tools, JG has less to work with than most rosters in the league right now.  That is a data point that persuades me that JG's RZ scoring rate won't be great.  That said, I suppose if he gets enough of them, it won't matter.  That issue, however, brings into question the capabilities of the rest of the team, defense and special teams included.  Not something I would bank on either.