FreakFries

Jimmy Garoppolo 2017 Season Outlook

11 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

Carmen Policy gives a blunt assessment of the 49ers leverage in J Garapolo contract talks after trading a 2nd round pick for him two months ago:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ex-49ers-ceo-bring-jar-vaseline-garoppolo-negotiations-article-1.3751622

ouch

An amazing comment by an ex-CEO from SF

Edited by psygolf

16 minutes ago, psygolf said:

An amazing comment by an ex-CEO from SF

"At my age any references would be related to Male Medical Exams and would have no sexual connotation," Policy told PFT in an email."

2 hours ago, JSA2422 said:

"At my age any references would be related to Male Medical Exams and would have no sexual connotation," Policy told PFT in an email."

Sure...because Garoppolo's agent is there to check the owner's health.  Inevitable ream job = physical exam?  I don't think so...

Niners dont have a choice, they are gonna pony up...the question is:

1. Do they Franchise him?  And use that as the base for negotiating a long term deal?

2. Does Jimmy G learn from the Pats and take less than what he could get on Open Market like Brady has done?

34 minutes ago, parrothead said:

1. Do they Franchise him?  And use that as the base for negotiating a long term deal?

2. Does Jimmy G learn from the Pats and take less than what he could get on Open Market like Brady has done?

They franchise him because he is an UFA otherwise. Then they negotiate a long-term deal. No reason to give other teams the opportunity to negotiate with a franchise QB they just traded a 2nd round pick for. Franchising Jimmy G gives the team a longer period of time to negotiate the long-term deal (July something is the deadline to sign the franchise tag). Otherwise they have to work out a long-term deal before FA begins.

Jimmy G is going to get a contract that equals what Stafford just got or a bit more.

Edited by devaster
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, devaster said:

They franchise him because he is an UFA otherwise. Then they negotiate a long-term deal. No reason to give other teams the opportunity to negotiate with a franchise QB they just traded a 2nd round pick for. Franchising Jimmy G gives the team a longer period of time to negotiate the long-term deal (July something is the deadline to sign the franchise tag). Otherwise they have to work out a long-term deal before FA begins.

Jimmy G is going to get a contract that equals what Stafford just got or a bit more.

Or, as Policy suggested, JG's agent bends the 49ers over and forces them to franchise him year after year like K Cousins and by the time they get to a long term deal the price of a starting QB is higher then it's ever been.

28 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

Or, as Policy suggested, JG's agent bends the 49ers over and forces them to franchise him year after year like K Cousins and by the time they get to a long term deal the price of a starting QB is higher then it's ever been.

There's a different feeling with this contract negotiation than with Kirk Cousins.  Redskins still never believed in Cousins and didn't mind him proving it under a franchise tag.  I think the niners think they have their guy and will probably offer somewhere around Carr and Stafford money.  I don't think the negotiations will take that long.  Jimmy is in the perfect spot for him and I think he knows it.

5 hours ago, RustyMiller said:

There's a different feeling with this contract negotiation than with Kirk Cousins.  Redskins still never believed in Cousins and didn't mind him proving it under a franchise tag.  I think the niners think they have their guy and will probably offer somewhere around Carr and Stafford money.  I don't think the negotiations will take that long.  Jimmy is in the perfect spot for him and I think he knows it.

This is clearly the best read based on everything we've seen and know.  JG has witnessed first hand the benefit that can come from not being too greedy when it comes to contract issues.  The FO won't low ball him, and he won't gouge.

Also, young marketable QBs understand how much money their "brand" can be worth IF they can be uber-successful on the field.  JG is about as marketable as they come.  If JG does nothing to tarnish his pristine image, and IF the JG/Shanahan marriage turns out to be as productive as many believe it can be, JG will make far more $$ off the field than he could ever leave on the table in this current round of contract negotiations.

Edited by Rolling Thunder

20 hours ago, parrothead said:

Why do people keep thinking Brady gets paid peanuts? All Brady does is restructre his contract every season to extend his payments out and gives the team flexibility with cap room Brady is not underpaid. He just works with the team and doesnt force them into a bad deal structure. You also have to remember that QB contract values s go up every season so its silly to compare a contract with a guy who signed a long term deal 3yrs to what his hypothetical contract today would be. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

This is clearly the best read based on everything we've seen and know.  JG has witnessed first hand the benefit that can come from not being too greedy when it comes to contract issues.  The FO won't low ball him, and he won't gouge.

Also, young marketable QBs understand how much money their "brand" can be worth IF they can be uber-successful on the field.  JG is about as marketable as they come.  If JG does nothing to tarnish his pristine image, and IF the JG/Shanahan marriage turns out to be as productive as many believe it can be, JG will make far more $$ off the field than he could ever leave on the table in this current round of contract negotiations.

1. I have yet to see a recent QB deal that was agreed upon by both parties long term or franchise where one side low balled or gouged the other. 

2. if they signe him long term he is going to get what is considered fair value relative to what other QB's are getting

3. JG is not in a position to gouge, so if he wants to sign a long term deal he will get fair value and if he goes franchise he will get fair value.

Edited by dashoe

19 hours ago, devaster said:

Of course they will, I was saying the Question would be whether or not they could get something done without having to go down that road. 

1 hour ago, parrothead said:

Of course they will, I was saying the Question would be whether or not they could get something done without having to go down that road. 

I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of the franchise tag.  Sometimes a franchise tag is used to trap a player.  These are the ones that get annoyed, hold out of training camp, etc.  In this case it would literally be so he isn't a UFA while both parties agree in good faith to work out a long term deal.  Kirk Cousins is the only player I know of who keeps playing under a franchise tag and claims to be happy about it.

I don't think anyone in SF expects him to not have a long term contract before preseason.

A lot of good theories here. Glad to have something interesting to follow this off season and see how it turns out.

19 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

A lot of good theories here. Glad to have something interesting to follow this off season and see how it turns out.

I really don't see much of a story here. SF going to sign him long-term before the next season begins.

For whatever reason the Washington front office and coaching staff didn't want to give Cousins a long-term deal that was on par with other starting QBs. Content to let him ride out the franchise tag. That is the interesting situation still to this day that makes no sense.

23 minutes ago, oban14 said:

I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of the franchise tag.  Sometimes a franchise tag is used to trap a player.  These are the ones that get annoyed, hold out of training camp, etc.  In this case it would literally be so he isn't a UFA while both parties agree in good faith to work out a long term deal.  Kirk Cousins is the only player I know of who keeps playing under a franchise tag and claims to be happy about it.

I don't think anyone in SF expects him to not have a long term contract before preseason.

Yep know how it works, I think maybe Im not asking my question well enough...the Franchise tag is there, its the starting off point of probably what $22-24 million a year if they are unable to come to an agreement, he would get a 1-year deal, assuming nobody else makes him an offer (I believe they can still negotiate with other teams, but if you tag a guy you can opt to match AND if you dont you get two No.1s) for that 22-24 Million mark, so using that number, you can start to develop the framework of a long term deal.  My question is would they need to do that dance, or will the niners and JimmyGeezus both want the long term deal at same price and not even have to go down the tag and negotiate option.  

The other part of the Cousins story that never really gets discussed is whether or not it is Cousins who doesn't want to be in Washington. He could have been content to ride out Washington franchising him two years in a row for a ton of money and betting on himself and free agency in 2018. The salary cap has also increased, so QBs are getting more money every year.

As long as Jimmy G wants to be in SF this deal gets done before the franchise tag deadline to sign it.