Sign in to follow this  
mysonx3

2017 Fantasy BaseballResources : Sites, Tools, Podcasts, Etc.

Recommended Posts

This may not be the right thread for this question, but I'll ask anyway.  Our league has a farm draft in which we can draft minor leaguers, with rookie status, and stash them with a $10 salary.  Rather than taking a team's highest rated rookie, who isn't going to get to the majors for 3 or 4 more years, I like to look for guys who are essentially the "next man up" - someone who is close to getting promoted so, when a major leaguer goes on the DL, this guy is going to come up to replace him.  Any thoughts on resources that would be helpful to find these kind of players?  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John Sickles

Minorleagueball.com

On his front page he has Top 20 prospects by team link. Most of these players have an ETA  (estimated time of arrival) after their write ups. Look for ETA 2017.

You can also search for " impact rookies 2017". Sometimes you will find a good list that way too. 

Edited by Stats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone got Ron shandlers baseball forecaster 2017 in the mail for free? It was sent to my parents address but I checked and I didn't pay for it :/. Weird thing is I was thinking of buying it but hey not going to complain 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, phiflyers2003 said:

Has anyone got Ron shandlers baseball forecaster 2017 in the mail for free? It was sent to my parents address but I checked and I didn't pay for it :/. Weird thing is I was thinking of buying it but hey not going to complain 

Doesn't it come free if you have a yearly subscription to baseball hq?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2017 at 1:11 AM, dkatz said:

This may not be the right thread for this question, but I'll ask anyway.  Our league has a farm draft in which we can draft minor leaguers, with rookie status, and stash them with a $10 salary.  Rather than taking a team's highest rated rookie, who isn't going to get to the majors for 3 or 4 more years, I like to look for guys who are essentially the "next man up" - someone who is close to getting promoted so, when a major leaguer goes on the DL, this guy is going to come up to replace him.  Any thoughts on resources that would be helpful to find these kind of players?  Thanks!

 

If you don't mind listening to podcasts, Rotowire has good episodes on prospects. Another podcast I enjoy listening to when it comes to dynasty leagues is TINO (There Is No Offseason). That podcast is all about keeper and dynasty leagues. 

Edited by Sine_cera
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2017 at 5:11 PM, dkatz said:

This may not be the right thread for this question, but I'll ask anyway.  Our league has a farm draft in which we can draft minor leaguers, with rookie status, and stash them with a $10 salary.  Rather than taking a team's highest rated rookie, who isn't going to get to the majors for 3 or 4 more years, I like to look for guys who are essentially the "next man up" - someone who is close to getting promoted so, when a major leaguer goes on the DL, this guy is going to come up to replace him.  Any thoughts on resources that would be helpful to find these kind of players?  Thanks!

Roster Resource has a pretty good organizational depth chart with prospects, etc.  A lot of the top 100 guys are a few years away, so its good to look for those who might be contributors this year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys, great thread, so much good info.

 

I am trying to prepare for my hometown keeper league (AL only, some pretty odd auction rules that I won't go into now) and I'm trying to be a bit more prepared than previous seasons. I've come across a few articles expressing the need to work out the "value" (I've seen it called base points, standard game points, etc.) of categories related to my league - (standard 5x5) and I've got the historical data going back the last 5 years for winners, but I'm having a hard time understanding how I can translate that info into which stats are worth what, exactly.

 

Without rambling on, hopefully that made sense. Can anyone point me to an article that might guide me in the right direction?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ocdodgerfan said:

Hi guys, great thread, so much good info.

 

I am trying to prepare for my hometown keeper league (AL only, some pretty odd auction rules that I won't go into now) and I'm trying to be a bit more prepared than previous seasons. I've come across a few articles expressing the need to work out the "value" (I've seen it called base points, standard game points, etc.) of categories related to my league - (standard 5x5) and I've got the historical data going back the last 5 years for winners, but I'm having a hard time understanding how I can translate that info into which stats are worth what, exactly.

 

Without rambling on, hopefully that made sense. Can anyone point me to an article that might guide me in the right direction?

What I do: line up in Excel each stat (e.g. Team a hit .280) in one column with the corresponding number of roto points that stat scored (or would have scored if you're not in a roto league) I'm another. Then, you'll use the SLOPE function. It'll look like this (stuff inside brackets is me telling you what range to put there):

=SLOPE([cell range of all numbers that team's put up in the stat you're using, aka how many HR],[cell range of roto points scored by those stats])

The result of this formula equates to, on average, how much you need to improve in each stat to gain one place in the standings for that particular stat. So if your slope for HR is six and your slope for RBI is 20, that means every six HR = 20 RBI, or that 30 HR = 100 RBI (just made up these numbers).

Does that make sense? Feel free to PM me if not

Edited by mysonx3
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need something very simple, but haven't found it yet. I just need a good site for up-to-date MLB rosters so I can see who is still technically with the team in spring training and who has been sent down. Any help?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Squeeealer said:

I need something very simple, but haven't found it yet. I just need a good site for up-to-date MLB rosters so I can see who is still technically with the team in spring training and who has been sent down. Any help?

 

 

I believe RosterResource will give you what you're looking for.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, screagle215 said:

 

I believe RosterResource will give you what you're looking for.

 

 

I tried that site, but it is extremely cluttered. I cannot find what I am looking for. Lots of "projected" and no actual rosters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone aware of any sites that would have rankings that include OPS and QS  included with the standard 5x5 traditional categories?Trying to rank players for the leagues I play in that have these are a little tougher and having something to go off of would be a help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone recommend a good site or app that allows you to add or drop a player across multiple teams (same site; Yahoo!)  at once? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

App Recommendation:

 

I'm looking for an app where I can input a single team and get notifications on that player (go up to bat, throw the first pitch of their start, warm up in the pen, wont be in the lineup, pop out) etc. I know something like this is out there and may cost a couple bucks but any recommendations would be great if someone has experience with something like this. My league is through rotowire for reference - not sure if that matters.

Edited by Stein

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can any one familiar with CBS Baseball help me out with a question on the waiver system? The team with the #1 waiver spot lost out to another team for a pick. How do I verify if this is a system glitch, or if the team just didn't put the claim in correctly?

 

We are set up for "The waiver order resets after each weeks' games.", and the team with the #1 made no other transactions for the week that would have moved him to the bottom of the list.

 

Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scott White is proudly proclaim that he is ruled by loss aversion.  Chris seems to identify this as a cognitive bias by saying it might be a natural human thing that there is probably a name for. 

 

Yes, Chris, it is loss aversion.  Good on you for actually sort of recognizing that as a cognitive bias that commonly allows humans to fool themselves. 

 

Scott White is blindly ruled by cognitive biases that he is unaware of, probably why his analysis is so inconsistent... 

 

Good stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone else having trouble with MLB.com? It appears as this weird non-legible mess. I thought it might just be my browser, so I tried another and it was like that again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kwelch said:

Is anyone else having trouble with MLB.com? It appears as this weird non-legible mess. I thought it might just be my browser, so I tried another and it was like that again.

Looks fine to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody else having issues with CBS Fantasy Game Center?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Z06vette said:

Anybody else having issues with CBS Fantasy Game Center?

Looks like there is an issue with the 12 o'clock games far as scoring....I just realized I'm talking to myself......Long night last night. Wow!

Edited by Z06vette

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any good fantasy baseball apps that will tell you when your players score, hit HR, get rbis etc.?

 

It sucks the yahoo app does not give you notifications on when that happens like in fantasy football. Any help would be great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this