Sign in to follow this  
mysonx3

2017 Fantasy BaseballResources : Sites, Tools, Podcasts, Etc.

I put together a tool for finding similar pitches, thought I'd share it with you guys.

It uses the pitch Comp score methodology from Jeff Sullivan at FanGraphs. The lower the comp score, the more similar the pitches are

It's not perfect and still a work in progress, but thought I'd share.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19LtaMor3uWIEyoW-5jmMO11An4o5EiFeSbanSaTyM5A/edit?usp=drive_web

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JFS179 said:

I can't see this at work, but I'm excited to take a look - thanks for sharing!

Just a couple notes on some flaws to keep in mind:

I didn't separate by handedness, so you might get some stuff like a RHP's changeup comparing to a LHP's slider or vice versa. I need to fix this.

I didn't separate SP vs RP either. Should probably fix this.

If the pitch you're comping is in the database, it will likely show up as it's own #1 comp

For offspeed pitches (changeups in particular), I probably should've factored in the fastball. An 80mph change is much different coming from a guy throwing mid-90s than from a guy throwing 88

And another note that's not so much a flaw as a decision I made: I'm not separating pitch types in the database. A slider could comp to a curveball, or to a cutter. I think this is for the best, but something to note.

I'd like to add more information about the pitches that turn up as comparisons as well - whiff and grounder rates, for instance.

The new Baseball Forecaster PDF's out sometime before Thanksgiving for those with annual renewal.  Otherwise I think it's out in mid-December.  The only guide I buy, and great compliment to Fangraphs and Razzball.  Anyone else on the annual subscription and getting them soon?  Really interested in their take on some of my potential keepers.

36 minutes ago, svdude said:

PDF's out sometime before Thanksgiving for those with annual renewal.  Otherwise I think it's out in mid-December.  The only guide I buy, and great compliment to Fangraphs and Razzball.  Anyone else on the annual subscription and getting them soon?  Really interested in their take on some of my potential keepers.

I ordered it right away and then I got an email about the subscription and was like "I didn't order a subscription, just one copy for this year only ". I completely forgot I actually did it for the reasons you mentioned. Anyway they charged me so I'm getting the copy but don't know about the subscription to get that early access.

I'm also a big fan. I traded Cole and Strasburg for Altuve an off-season ago partially due to their optimism in him. Won me a championship. I also really prioritized steals this year because of the opening article. That strategy paid off as well.

Edited by brockpapersizer

Never got it before, thinking about it this year. Anyone know if there's a place I can see some samples or old editions to get a better picture of what I'm buying?

Anyone use the Minor League Analyst book from Baseball HQ?

2 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

Never got it before, thinking about it this year. Anyone know if there's a place I can see some samples or old editions to get a better picture of what I'm buying?

I use both. The minor league one is harder to gauge because you have so many years before you can see if it pays off. Fun to read and have a hard copy and take with you to drafts and have easy access.

11 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I ordered it right away and then I got an email about the subscription and was like "I didn't order a subscription, just one copy for this year only ". I completely forgot I actually did it for the reasons you mentioned. Anyway they charged me so I'm getting the copy but don't know about the subscription to get that early access.

I'm also a big fan. I traded Cole and Strasburg for Altuve an off-season ago partially due to their optimism in him. Won me a championship. I also really prioritized steals this year because of the opening article. That strategy paid off as well.

If you do the yearly standing order, you could grab the PDF version as of last night.  I like how they also give you excel files and updates later in the year.

10 hours ago, mysonx3 said:

I have 2015-2017 in PDF/Excel format.  If you want to see a sample write up of a player or 2 from 2015 or 2016, let me know and I can PM you.  I think it's well worth picking up.

I've never used the Minor League book.

2 hours ago, svdude said:

If you do the yearly standing order, you could grab the PDF version as of last night.  I like how they also give you excel files and updates later in the year.

Can you walk me through how to get the pdf version?

30 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Can you walk me through how to get the pdf version?

I just went to the BaseballHQ.com website and the first thing I saw was that the 2017 Forecaster was available for download.  I just looked now, and don't see the link, so not sure where they hid it.

7 minutes ago, pittsports87 said:

This looks pretty interesting, might have to do more research on it.  Do they have computer only version?  I don't really want the physical book.

Yes. The online version was actually only an additional copy to  get it sooner, we're all still awaiting the hardcover (although for me, I prefer online).

That being said, if you don't need to buy one ASAP and can wait until January, you can get it on Amazon prime cheaper. Almost $10 cheaper which is kind of nuts, but I'm glad to have gotten it earlier this year. I usually get it on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/2017-Baseball-Forecaster-Encyclopedia-Fanalytics/dp/1629373095/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480307902&sr=8-1&keywords=2017+forecaster

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 2

I've been getting it since 1999, it's helped me a ton. I gave up on prospects after a few years in our league as the guys were going all out so I passed. Now for the first time since 99' I'm rebuilding and back into the prospect game which has cooled in recent years in our Scoresheet League. So I ordered for the first time the Minor League Analyst which I don't think comes out until Feb. which is a bummer. I usually get my Forecaster around Dec. 10th. It is a slap in the face that you can order on Amazon so much cheaper....but that month plus is worth the extra $10- to me. 

6 minutes ago, accudart said:

I've been getting it since 1999, it's helped me a ton. I gave up on prospects after a few years in our league as the guys were going all out so I passed. Now for the first time since 99' I'm rebuilding and back into the prospect game which has cooled in recent years in our Scoresheet League. So I ordered for the first time the Minor League Analyst which I don't think comes out until Feb. which is a bummer. I usually get my Forecaster around Dec. 10th. It is a slap in the face that you can order on Amazon so much cheaper....but that month plus is worth the extra $10- to me. 

It really is a slap in the face and I emailed them about it and they were like amazon can afford to do it cheaper and that's the way the publishing industry is. I could understand a few bucks but charging 10 more bucks for a baseball guide that's basically good for one year (or even just draft prep season) seems like a lot... Especially when you're charging more to your most loyal subscribers. Whatever. If you won't start your prep until January, I highly recommend the Amazon route. It's an amazing value there.

17 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

It really is a slap in the face and I emailed them about it and they were like amazon can afford to do it cheaper and that's the way the publishing industry is. I could understand a few bucks but charging 10 more bucks for a baseball guide that's basically good for one year (or even just draft prep season) seems like a lot... Especially when you're charging more to your most loyal subscribers. Whatever. If you won't start your prep until January, I highly recommend the Amazon route. It's an amazing value there.

I'm waiting. It's not like we can't prep without that book.

• Like 1

You guys are right to wait. In my league it helps me decide on my keepers and then I can try to trade my overflow if possible. I left the Forecaster a voice mail last year or maybe the year before and didn't as expected hear back....so I'll continue to suck it up...

Best purchase out there for baseball and its not close. Warning: It takes a little time to learn and get comfortable with their metrics. Its worth it, but if you don't, you're losing a lot of the value. Really does a good job of assessing player skills and detecting trends in development or subtle slides that are skill-based (versus bad luck).

1 hour ago, oswald737 said:

Best purchase out there for baseball and its not close. Warning: It takes a little time to learn and get comfortable with their metrics. Its worth it, but if you don't, you're losing a lot of the value. Really does a good job of assessing player skills and detecting trends in development or subtle slides that are skill-based (versus bad luck).

Definitely a great purchase, just not at $33. I'll buy on Amazon.

On 11/28/2016 at 2:01 PM, oswald737 said:

Excactly its better to get this early too as its a lot of info. I read it every day on train ride home from work and its still not enough time. I wouldn't use this as the bible but it is great to see this view as opposed to those outdated fantasy mags. 

• Like 2

On 11/27/2016 at 10:38 PM, brockpapersizer said:

Yes. The online version was actually only an additional copy to  get it sooner, we're all still awaiting the hardcover (although for me, I prefer online).

That being said, if you don't need to buy one ASAP and can wait until January, you can get it on Amazon prime cheaper. Almost $10 cheaper which is kind of nuts, but I'm glad to have gotten it earlier this year. I usually get it on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/2017-Baseball-Forecaster-Encyclopedia-Fanalytics/dp/1629373095/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480307902&sr=8-1&keywords=2017+forecaster

major kudos to @brockpapersizer for recommending the forecaster again this year. i know he's recommended it for the last few years, but i've never broke down and actually purchased a copy. with the cheaper version available on amazon i finally pried open the wallet. i can't say i'm surprised with the amount of info it contains, because there's been plenty of positive talk about the contents, but the substance certainly lives up to the hype. there's a lot of really good information and not just a regurgitation of what's published on other sites.

i just received it today and began looking through it tonight. their unique stats are going to take some time to fully understand, but overall i'm glad i purchased and would recommend anyone on the fence to do the same.

thanks, forum bro!

Edited by osb_tensor
  • Like 1