JFS179

April Closer Thread 2017

16 minutes ago, Bravesfan155 said:

Players win games, not managers. And his point is that the offense didn't do their job either if they scored just 1 run.

K-Rod sucks? Ok, i'll trade you Osuna for him.

Ill pass

25 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

The only thing his comment is intended to do is distract from his closer's performance in a low-scoring game. Would Ausmus like to forefeit all of the 1-0 wins his team ever takes part in?  Of course not.  His answer is non-responsive to the question about the closer's performance.

yea im just commenting on the 'thats not how maths works dude' comment, as that's just irrelevant. What does that prove? that he knows 1 > 0  and ausmus doesn't?

9 minutes ago, corey_rideout said:

Jimenez has the elite minor league numbers. Jimenez has the two plus pitches. Jimenez made major league hitters look silly in spring training and in the WBC. 

Two full count walks that ended up scoring off hits from other pitchers and the lone hit he gave up was a homer. This kid just needs some MLB experience to get that confidence up - when that happens look out.

People aren't excited about this kid because he should be a future closer. People are excited about this kid because he should be a future top 5 RP. Until he realizes his stuff is good enough to dominate MLB hitters and proves it, he should remain in lower leverage situations however. No need for him in the minors though - he has proven everything he possibly can there already!

Not saying he won't be good, but I heard the same about Bruce rondon

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Random Dude said:

Wilson is must own in my opinion unless you are an idiot like the guy that wrote this article

http://detroitsportsnation.com/detroit-tigers-news/cpoposki/dear-tigers-fans-your-francisco-rodriguez-hate-is-misplaced/92726/

Lol. I did just drop Benoit for Wilson, although I'm not sure that Wilson will get any save opps. Benoit might get some because the Phillies want to trade him and increase his value. Mackanin said he trusts both guys in the 8th and 9th, but that he does see Benoit as "more comfortable" in the 7th and 8th. Worth noting

Regardless, Wilson has been pitching very well to start the year

4 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Translation: "If our offense didn't stink we wouldnt even be talking about my questionable managerial decisions!"

Hey now that everyone is talking about my comment, i have distracted everyone! success!

Listening to Ausmus... Lol

so leads don't matter because you didn't score more runs? Ok

tumblr_o39x2fzeQc1tk48vko1_400.gif

Edited by evillaw4eva
  • Like 1

Marwin doing some yardwork

2 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Marwin doing some yardwork

Are you insinuating Kluber doesn't have the stuff to be a starter so he should be a closer?  If so I agree.

• Like 1

C-c2CqbXoAIUfQL.jpg

----------

That was a poor response by Ausmus, not because of the "math", but because it's dumb to blame the team for only scoring one run when really KRod blew an otherwise excellent performance by the Tigers' pitching staff.

There's no need to sugarcoat those facts. That's why closers are paid more than garbage time long men.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Dyson. Hoover. Vacuums. Suck.

Don't do it.

Wasn't Dyson suppose to have been great last season?

1 hour ago, bradwatson said:

Geez Wilson's numbers are incredible. Literally the best of any reliever in baseball atm. How in the world can they not remove KRod for him?

Because being a lefty facing a lot of lefties also helps your stats.  And if he didn't get out those tough lefties there might not be a closer situation for K-Rod to blow in the ninth to start with.

51 minutes ago, corey_rideout said:

Jimenez has the elite minor league numbers. Jimenez has the two plus pitches. Jimenez made major league hitters look silly in spring training and in the WBC. 

Two full count walks that ended up scoring off hits from other pitchers and the lone hit he gave up was a homer. This kid just needs some MLB experience to get that confidence up - when that happens look out.

People aren't excited about this kid because he should be a future closer. People are excited about this kid because he should be a future top 5 RP. Until he realizes his stuff is good enough to dominate MLB hitters and proves it, he should remain in lower leverage situations however. No need for him in the minors though - he has proven everything he possibly can there already!

Actually he needs to be back in the minors before he has his confidence destroyed by the MLB experience.  He may or may not end up good but right now he isn't ready for prime time.  We forget these guys at this stage are basically overgrown kids who have never really failed so far in their careers.  Last thing you want is to damage their confidence by putting them in situations where they will fail and fail in the major league spotlight.

42 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Not saying he won't be good, but I heard the same about Bruce rondon

So true.  I remember the first year I was on this forum there was some endless drumbeat for a Chicago reliever who just had to be a closer because he was so "filthy" or whatever the buzz word was back then.  I can't even remember what Chicago team it was and I certainly can't remember his name because he never panned out.  I bet 9 out of 10 of these shining new toys with "filth" never make it as a closer and the majority probably don't even end up in the majors more than a year or two tops if at all.

Yet each year we go through the same thing with these young flamethrowers and each one is the next big closer.  Some to make it though uselessly not as a top closer but just a serviceable one but we all should be aware that most don't.

This isn't aimed at Jimenez in particular.  I have no idea it he will be the mud that sticks to the wall or not.  Just a cautionary tale about seeing the new messiah in every new arm that people read about on a web site.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tonycpsu said:

The only thing his comment is intended to do is distract from his closer's performance in a low-scoring game. Would Ausmus like to forefeit all of the 1-0 wins his team ever takes part in?  Of course not.  His answer is non-responsive to the question about the closer's performance.

Stop the presses, a manager/coach/athlete dodged a question he didn't want to answer!

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Actually he needs to be back in the minors before he has his confidence destroyed by the MLB experience.  He may or may not endup good but rightnow he isn't ready for prime time.

He has nothing left to prove in the minors. He has absolutely dominated them!

We are talking about a 3 inning sample size. If this continues for 10-15 innings then yes, I'll agree. 

Also, Jimenez stuff is MUCH better than Bruce Rondon's.

2 minutes ago, corey_rideout said:

He has nothing left to prove in the minors. He has absolutely dominated them!

We are talking about a 3 inning sample size. If this continues for 10-15 innings then yes, I'll agree. 

Also, Jimenez stuff is MUCH better than Bruce Rondon's.

But don't you see?  The next shiny new toy is always suppose to have better stuff then the now tarnished, formerly-new, can't fail toy.  Rondon was the next messiah and now he isn't.  It goes on and on that way.  Someone will be coming up behind Jimenez soon and everyone will say how bad Jimenez is compared to the new guy.

Yes some do hit and stick on the wall but Jimenez has hit and missed so far and shouldn't be rushed up.  They need to find out why big league hitters are finding him easy pickings and go back to the minors and work on the weakness.  I have no idea what it is.  Control?  Inability to throw anything but heat because 100 mph alone doesn't intimidate most major league hitters if it is straight as an arrow say.  Don't know about him.  Just know his stuff isn't ready for prime time in every start so far and it is hard to fix on the fly in the big leagues where Detroit is still in contention as is every other club this early.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

But don't you see?  The next shiny new toy is always suppose to have better stuff then the now tarnished, formerly-new, can't fail toy.  Rondon was the next messiah and now he isn't.  It goes on and on that way.  Someone will be coming up behind Jimenez soon and everyone will say how bad Jimenez is compared to the new guy.

Yes some do hit and stick on the wall but Jimenez has hit and missed so far and shouldn't be rushed up.  They need to find out why big league hitters are finding him easy pickings and go back to the minors and work on the weakness.  I have no idea what it is.  Control?  Inability to throw anything but heat because 100 mph alone doesn't intimidate most major league hitters if it is straight as an arrow say.  Don't know about him.  Just know his stuff isn't ready for prime time in every start so far and it is hard to fix on the fly in the big leagues where Detroit is still in contention as is every other club this early.

No he wasn't. Stop making stuff up.

40 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

No he wasn't. Stop making stuff up.

He was in the back end of BAs and MLBs TOP 100 Prospect list in 2013

You know often pure RP(not guys who were starting but "might end up") actually crack top 100 lists?

Its rare. So yes..he was pretty damn hyped up to the moon. 

Hell Joe Jimenez never made top 100 lists despite being considerd one of the top pure RP talents going

• Like 1

It seems like good closers are at a premium these days.  Just throwing someone in the 9th isn't as easy as it use to be. 

35 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

[...]

Stephen Pryor

Rex Brothers

Ryan Cook

Al Albuquerque

Javy Guerra

Daniel Bard

Ambroix Burgos

[...]

Wow, this list belongs on a Deadspin "Let's Remember Some Guys" post.  Love them deep closer cuts!

39 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

I don't know man... people loved them some Bruce Rondon

I've been here long enough to remember these hype trains

Neil Ramirez

Alexi Ogando

Matt Thornton

Tim Collins

Ryan Cook

Kevin Quackenbush

Yimi Garcia

the other Francisco Rodriguez

Kevin Whelan

Mark Montgomery

Jenry Mejia

Stephen Pryor

Rex Brothers

Ryan Cook

Al Albuquerque

Javy Guerra

Daniel Bard

Ambroix Burgos

Sergio Santos

Evan Meek

and who could forget Manny Corpas and Juan Carlos Oviedo

the Bruce Rondon hype train was bigger or as big as any of those guys except maybe Quackenbush, Brothers, and Bard..

Long live Joel Zumayaa and the Guitar Hero fiasco

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

I don't know man... people loved them some Bruce Rondon

I've been here long enough to remember these hype trains

Neil Ramirez

Alexi Ogando

Matt Thornton

Tim Collins

Ryan Cook

Kevin Quackenbush

Yimi Garcia

the other Francisco Rodriguez

Kevin Whelan

Mark Montgomery

Jenry Mejia

Stephen Pryor

Rex Brothers

Ryan Cook

Al Albuquerque

Javy Guerra

Daniel Bard

Ambroix Burgos

Sergio Santos

Evan Meek

and who could forget Manny Corpas and Juan Carlos Oviedo

the Bruce Rondon hype train was bigger or as big as any of those guys except maybe Quackenbush, Brothers, and Bard..

Oh the memories...