JFS179

April Closer Thread 2017

37 minutes ago, codyodea said:

I know Bedrosian is only the closer due to Street's health status but is this guy as good as his numbers looked last year?  I've never watched him pitch so all I know about him is the last three years worth of stats in the bigs and last year is the outlier numbers wise.

His dad was a Cy Young winning reliever, so he has the pedigree.  I honestly thought MS would put Street back in there as closer if he showed he was healthy, but Street hurt himself like on the first batter he faced.  I think Cam has forced MS's hand here. 

8 hours ago, mysonx3 said:

In other words, you're ignoring all evidence that it's a perfectly reasonable figure because it doesn't sound right to you?

I don't think you're being intentionally obtuse or anything, but why are you ignoring the actual math behind how reasonable that number is?

Your evidence is team saves?  So, they'd have to have 5 save ops in 15 games and Reed would have to pitch in every one of them, and convert each one?

Look, I didn't say it was IMPOSSIBLE.  I said it was "aggressive" and I didn't think it would happen.

WHO'S UP NEXT!!??

God Grillz was awful last year - ok maybe not that bad

Edited by BMcP

2 minutes ago, BMcP said:

God Grillz was awful last year

81 Ks in 59 IP

Is Grilli really next up?

Not sure how serious a cervical spasm is but it sounds like it could be pretty painful. Hopefully not real serious for Osuna. Grilled Cheese is the obvious add.

Edited by Sean-O

Apparently Osuna went down with Cervical Spasms.  Anyone know how long those last and can maybe give a rough timeline for his return?

"Muscle spasms in the neck are the result of the body trying to stabilize a strain or sprain. They can be painful."

So it sounds like a cervical spasm means he has a neck strain or neck sprain?

Any idea what the minimum time missed would be for a backdated 10-day stint?

"Most minor strains of ligaments, tendons and muscles in the neck heal in a relatively short amount of time (e.g. one or two days)."

"Most symptoms of neck sprain will go away in 4 to 6 weeks. However, severe injuries, may take longer to heal completely."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Any idea what the minimum time missed would be for a backdated 10-day stint?

Per Davidi: April 9 first eligible

This is why I punt saves. Osuna was taken in Round 7 (technically 2) as a five person keeper. Now, I grabbed Grilli and wouldn't be surprised is Osuna was out longer. Especially with the approach they took with him last year after purposely holding him out, it does not look good for the foreseeable future. I think theres more to this situation than they are letting on ATM.

So with Grilli closing does this make Biagini the primary set up guy ?  Does he have any chance at saves ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

It's assumed.  I don't think there's been anything from the team though

This article from the Denver Post from 3/28 just says he's the closer with no attribution or anything. Where are they getting that from? 

Denver Post

"Rockies general manager Jeff Bridichwas clearly paying attention to the Royals’ blueprint. With the intention of turning Colorado into playoff contenders this year, Bridich signed former Royals all-star Greg Holland to be the club’s closer and gave left-hander Mike Dunn a three-year, $19 million deal, the most money the Rockies have ever spent on a free-agent reliever."

These closers are going to give me several cervical spasms throughout the season.... 

• Like 6

Which tier is Grilli in while Osuna is out. And assuming elites like Miller / Betances are valuable without saves, where would they all rank within these tiers? 

Basically wondering how valuable Nate Jones and Reed are relative to these guys. 

1 minute ago, miasma16 said:

Which tier is Grilli in while Osuna is out. And assuming elites like Miller / Betances are valuable without saves, where would they all rank within these tiers? 

Basically wondering how valuable Nate Jones and Reed are relative to these guys. 

Miller

Betances

Jones

Reed

Grilli