Acre

Yandy Diaz 2017 Outlook

Yandy Diaz hit .492/.529/.667 this spring, and had a .325/.399/.461 line, and with Beltre out is penciled is as the everyday starting 3B (with Beltre hurt) with the possibility of shifting to the outfield, and playing SS or 2B.

While there isn't too much space in the Indians lineup when everyone is healthy, there's a chance he's a utility guy or even hits his way into the lineup if someone like Naquin goes cold. Only 25 years old.

2 minutes ago, Acre said:

Yandy Diaz hit .492/.529/.667 this spring, and had a .325/.399/.461 line, and with Beltre out is penciled is as the everyday starting 3B (with Beltre hurt) with the possibility of shifting to the outfield, and playing SS or 2B.

While there isn't too much space in the Indians lineup when everyone is healthy, there's a chance he's a utility guy or even hits his way into the lineup if someone like Naquin goes cold. Only 25 years old.

with Beltre out ? Did you mean Kipnis ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Topgun said:

with Beltre out ? Did you mean Kipnis ?

Yeah haha my fault. Was thinking of Kipnis, just had read a blurb about Joey Gallo right before I made this post 

If he could pull the ball in the air a bit more he could be a really good hitter. He hits a ton of oppo GB rockets which is the best profile for groundball BABIP. And he has really good pitch recognition and discipline. He looks like a really natural hitter. 

Just now, Acre said:

Yeah haha my fault. Was thinking of Kipnis, just had read a blurb about Joey Gallo right before I made this post 

:D

I'm intrigued here, mostly because I think the Indians have some moving parts on that team.  Ramirez can play the OF, which I think is where they will end up having the greatest need.

Yandy's got about a month to prove he belongs, which if he just keeps doing what he did in ST, they're not sending him anywhere.  He's just 24 YO, though he's been with the Indians since they signed him as a 16 YO.  Last year between AA and AAA he slashed .318/.408/.446, albeit with only 9 HRs in 526 PAs.  He also walked 71 times versus 86 Ks.

Some additional reading from FanGraphs: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/clevelands-next-anonymous-and-great-third-baseman/

• Like 2

made a diving play and hit an opposite field double. he's got some speed, too.

i won't be surprised if he stays up.

Carson Cistulli has been keeping tabs on Diaz in his Fringe Five series for the last two years.

Diaz was just added to the ESPN player pool this offseason, as a SS, oddly.

Should have gave him a hit in his 2nd AB. It was a rocket at Andrus. 

Jesus, dude looks like those pics of Laron Landry right before he got popped for PEDs.  

If someone could get this guy to join the flyball revolution I think he'd have a chance to be a great player. Elite BB% at 16.3% and he hits the ball hard as evidenced by a 40.2% hard hit percentage and 43.9% medium hit percentage. He's obviously a strong guy from the pics above but the huge problem is he hits the ball on the ground 59.8% of the time. I don't think a guy like this should be aiming to be such an extreme slap hitter.

Edited by elrey

2 hours ago, elrey said:

If someone could get this guy to join the flyball revolution I think he'd have a chance to be a great player. Elite BB% at 16.3% and he hits the ball hard as evidenced by a 40.2% hard hit percentage and 43.9% medium hit percentage. He's obviously a strong guy from the pics above but the huge problem is he hits the ball on the ground 59.8% of the time. I don't think a guy like this should be aiming to be such an extreme slap hitter.

I don't even think he has to join the flyball revolution. I think he literally has the worst launch angle in the entire league so if he just joins regular ground ball hitter territory, he could be really useful. 

48 minutes ago, dod959 said:

I don't even think he has to join the flyball revolution. I think he literally has the worst launch angle in the entire league so if he just joins regular ground ball hitter territory, he could be really useful. 

I think he's gotten better with the launch angle since he got called back up (if I remember what I read correctly), but he's still obviously not hitting any HR's.  He's been pretty good since his recall.  He's just missing even the occasional HR though.  Still, with 3B not being as deep as people might think, I ended up picking up Diaz when Beltre went down.  Obviously he's not going to duplicate what Beltre did, but I think just adding even an ever so slight upper cut to his swing could do him wonders for HR's since he crushes the ball otherwise.  He's already made dents in OF walls.

Still, he's come a long way from being the horrible hitter he was when he was up early in the season.  He's even hitting in really good spots in their lineup at times, like tonight (hitting 3rd).  Combine that with a BB/K ratio that would make Rhys Hoskins jealous (15 BB/8 K since the All-Star break, and obviously it won't completely last either), and he's somebody I'll at least keep an eye on for next year and continue to roll out there in my lineup now that he's their everyday 3B.

Ok, maybe I got a bit carried away in my previous post with saying he would be somebody to keep an eye on for next year.  I doubt there's really a starting spot for him next season since Kipnis will be back, although how long he actually stays on the field is always in doubt.

11 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Ok, maybe I got a bit carried away in my previous post with saying he would be somebody to keep an eye on for next year.  I doubt there's really a starting spot for him next season since Kipnis will be back, although how long he actually stays on the field is always in doubt.

Take this for what it is worth. A few weeks ago a caller said this on Drenan Live . He said the Indians really want to resign

Carlos Santana, and would consider trading Kipnis to free up the cash to keep Santana, I agree with this.

4 hours ago, Topgun said:

Take this for what it is worth. A few weeks ago a caller said this on Drenan Live . He said the Indians really want to resign

Carlos Santana, and would consider trading Kipnis to free up the cash to keep Santana, I agree with this.

I would absolutely trade Kipnis.  I'm not sure how the fans would react to that since I know he's a fan favorite, but at this point he should go.  They are just a better team now with Ramirez at 2B and Diaz at 3B.  I'm not as big of a fan of Santana as some are, but I definitely like him better than Kipnis at this point.

I was watching the Cardinals/Pirates game more since I have Luke Weaver, but why did they take Diaz out for Urshela?  I know they put in a righty, but Diaz has been starting against both lefties and righties.

7 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

I would absolutely trade Kipnis.  I'm not sure how the fans would react to that since I know he's a fan favorite, but at this point he should go.  They are just a better team now with Ramirez at 2B and Diaz at 3B.  I'm not as big of a fan of Santana as some are, but I definitely like him better than Kipnis at this point.

I was watching the Cardinals/Pirates game more since I have Luke Weaver, but why did they take Diaz out for Urshela?  I know they put in a righty, but Diaz has been starting against both lefties and righties.

Urshela comes in late when he is not starting as a defensive upgrade.

• Like 1

I haven't paid any attention to this dude but is he mixed league worthy in redrafts (say 12 teams with CI,Ut slots) for rest of season?

7 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I haven't paid any attention to this dude but is he mixed league worthy in redrafts (say 12 teams with CI,Ut slots) for rest of season?

I don't think so. In my 12 team league there are better options.