exaulz

Chris Devenski 2017 Outlook

634 posts in this topic

No Giles was warming. Devo has been pitching 2-3 innings at a time all year. Nothing to do with availability. This is Devo's thing so why burn your closer using him 2 days in a row when you have a stud RP whose designated usage is pitching 2-3 innings at a time?

3 people like this

Devo always goes 2-3 innings depending on pitch count and was brought in later in the game than previously so no surprises here for the Giles owners. Not like they have an elite closer....oh wait, they do and he got the SV today.

5 people like this

1 minute ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

How hard was he throwing today?

93-94. Hit 95 a few times.

1 person likes this

They really should just use him for the save every time, put him in in the 7th or 8th as needed. Giles is so inconsistent, really don't get why they don't just go with the much more dependable Devenski every time

5 minutes ago, kvnnn said:

93-94. Hit 95 a few times.

Hit 96 once.

From what I seen, it looks like that batters are struggling with time. They are late on everything. Even on 82 mph changeups.

It must be how he hides the ball and accelerates his arm, and by the time the batter picks up the ball, his brain has very little time to do anything but to react.

But the more pitches he throws, he loses this edge because the batters brain starts to adjust, and see the ball earlier, hence the good at bats in the 9th. There was a lot less reacting or desperation than early on, and the movement on his pitches are not that decieving. That was when Dev needed that 95-96 mph to get out of it.

1 person likes this

22 minutes ago, TomBradysCollegeRoommate said:

They really should just use him for the save every time, put him in in the 7th or 8th as needed. Giles is so inconsistent, really don't get why they don't just go with the much more dependable Devenski every time

Why would you want your best reliever to throw less innings? Just think about the logic there

Devenski sees his ERA go up 60% today .... Yet he's still my favorite player in the MLB right now.

15 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

And Devenski's kryptonite is.....Trout.

How fitting.

I watched the replay. Had him 0-2, but made a mistake and hung a changeup right down the middle. Changeup was supposed to drop below the swing plane.

16 hours ago, TomBradysCollegeRoommate said:

No no no no no. No. Leave him as-is, he's perfect the way he is.

5 hours ago, Roto4500 said:

No no no no no. No. Leave him as-is, he's perfect the way he is.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, he's getting plenty of points for me as is. Just makes sense to have your best reliever closing it out. But hey, if it ain't broke don't fix it

Edited by TomBradysCollegeRoommate

18 minutes ago, TomBradysCollegeRoommate said:

Just makes sense to have your best reliever closing it out.

Why does this make sense? The highest leverage situations are in tie games, not with a lead, and this would mean less innings for their best RP.

In SV+HD leagues, this guy is insanely valuable with his RP/SP eligibility. A RPASP if you will, that can really anchor your ratios, give you elite RP innings and Ks, and give you a larger volume of SV+HD opportunities throughout the season than your opponents that didnt draft Iglesias for the same reason.

1 person likes this

I feel like I need to be owning and starting this guy. Can this possibly continue?

47 minutes ago, GrapeJuice said:

I feel like I need to be owning and starting this guy. Can this possibly continue?

If he's on the wire in your league, scoop him up ASAP. This can and will continue, catch the train before it's too late!!

2 hours ago, GrapeJuice said:

Grab him and park him in an SP slot for ROS and forget it. He's on pace for 120 innings right now and is starting to be used in save/hold situations. 

16.8 K/9. Absurdity. I see his K/9 settling in somewhere around 12.5 though, but that change-up is totally unique and legit. Falls off the table straight down like a splitter.

1 person likes this

I'm very Win/Save dependent though. The ambiguity makes my delicate sensibilities quiver in nervosity.

1 person likes this

Not even in a holds league and I own this guy. Basically getting a free QS and a half (without the QS) each week. And now he's even getting saves? Be still my heart.