33legend

2017 Weekly Prospect Top 10

5 hours ago, jester2trife said:

I must have misread. I thought you meant hes their equal at this moment, which would be completely absurd. But in the future, yes that's entirely possible. 

Obviously, they are in different situations, but I think they are all very close in talent and skill set.  If Happ were in the majors and playing every day then I think he would be very valuable. Unfortunately, he's not and minor league stats don't count. 

I do believe that this situation will take care of itself soon enough and Happ will get the call. Once that happens he'll be an extremely hot pickup.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2017 at 2:41 PM, JenksDodger said:

1) Cody Bellinger

2) Franklin Barreto 

3) Amed Rosario

4) Tyler Beede

5) Yoan Moncada

6) Yohander Mendez

7) Austin Meadows

8) Lewis Brinson

9) Ian Happ

10) Rafael Devers - super sleeper 

11) Brandon Woodruff

Wondering if you guys who know your stuff, could tell me a little more about this list.

How much of a sleeper is Devers?? Out of these pitchers, who is arguably the top pickup right now?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, lavaman said:

1) Cody Bellinger

2) Franklin Barreto 

3) Amed Rosario

4) Tyler Beede

5) Yoan Moncada

6) Yohander Mendez

7) Austin Meadows

8) Lewis Brinson

9) Ian Happ

11) Brandon Woodruff

Wondering if you guys who know your stuff, could tell me a little more about this list.

How much of a sleeper is Devers?? Out of these pitchers, who is arguably the top pickup right now?

Thanks!

Devers is probably not going to make it up soon.. He's going to have to show he can take some more walks.. 1 in 55 PA's isn't going to cut it, Boston has a black hole at 3B so if he really starts lighting it up there's a small chance he makes it to Boston later in the season.. 

The pitchers are really hard to gauge as it's most likely going to come down to an injury to see who's up next.. If I was betting I'd say Woodruff right now. He's not going to be a star per say, but he's definitely got some value. Beede is going depend on how Matt Cain does going forward.. His ERA is low right now, but his FIP and xFIP aren't very good, so he's got a shot.. 

Edited by JenksDodger
  • Like 1

So based on your list @JenksDodgerI presume you do not expect another recall before Super-Two? A's probably don't make a move on Barreto before then I'd think.

48 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

So based on your list @JenksDodgerI presume you do not expect another recall before Super-Two? A's probably don't make a move on Barreto before then I'd think.

Hey Oswald, 

I actually think Amed Rosario will probably get called up before Barreto, but I think Barreto ultimately ends up producing more by seasons end. I think Rosario is probably the next out of all those to come up.. 

Edited by JenksDodger

Jhonny Peralta is a zero. Gyorko and Wong are not ideal full time players.

Keep an eye on Chase Wisdom and Paul DeJong this year. My money is on DeJong.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/baseball-america-prospect-report-may-1/

Paul DeJong, dh, Cardinals. DeJong got into the multi-homer thing Sunday as well. The Cardinals’ No. 14 prospect belted two as Triple-A Memphis beat Round Rock (Rangers) 11-7. Despite moving up the defensive spectrum, spending most of his time at shortstop, DeJong has had a strong offensive season, slashing .312/.338/.558, although he’s walked just twice with 22 strikeouts.

Bizarre that BA listed him at DH. He's a 3B/SS.

Edited by fawkes_mulder

2 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

Is this a particularly week year of impact call ups?

Probably going to be a bit of a down year, but important to note that some of the guys likely to get the call this year already previewed in MLB late (Berrios, Glasnow, Urias, Moncada), so they aren't considered in the same way fresh prospects are.

2 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Paul DeJong, dh, Cardinals. DeJong got into the multi-homer thing Sunday as well. The Cardinals’ No. 14 prospect belted two as Triple-A Memphis beat Round Rock (Rangers) 11-7. Despite moving up the defensive spectrum, spending most of his time at shortstop, DeJong has had a strong offensive season, slashing .312/.338/.558, although he’s walked just twice with 22 strikeouts.

Patrick Wisdom

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

Patrick Wisdom

yes, thanks. Got the last name right at least lol

Probably got mixed up because there is a Paul DeJong and a Chase DeJong.

Edited by fawkes_mulder

22 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

yes, thanks. Got the last name right at least lol

Probably got mixed up because there is a Paul DeJong and a Chase DeJong.

haha yea i did a double take on that.

but to your point, i had mentioned dejong awhile back in one of these threads as a sneaky SS pick up for power.  He's gonna strike out alot though, unfortunately.

Of the two you mentioned, i believe DeJong has the highest upside.

21 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

I disagree about Gyorko.  He is an ideal full time player.  St Louis just hasn't used him as same giving the 3B job out of spring training to the clearly inferior Peralta.  Hopefully that has been corrected because Gyorko's 30 homers last year in part time play was not a fluke and he is their on legit power bat period. 

We tend to forget Gyorko was a highly touted prospect just a few years back.  He finally started coming into his own his last year in SD so what do they do?  Trade him to StL where "Gyorko gets jerked" around again with part time play.  I don't care what his defense is.  St Louis needs power in their line-up big time and he provides it.  Don't write him off as going back to part time again.  That would be the stupidest thing the Cards could do this year outside of not giving him 3B everyday out of spring training.

21 hours ago, oswald737 said:

Probably going to be a bit of a down year, but important to note that some of the guys likely to get the call this year already previewed in MLB late (Berrios, Glasnow, Urias, Moncada), so they aren't considered in the same way fresh prospects are.

Well Glasnow has been up not just last year but all of this year.  Doing terrible so far but still made the roster out of spring training and hasn't tasted the minors at all this season.

4 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I disagree about Gyorko.  He is an ideal full time player.  St Louis just hasn't used him as same giving the 3B job out of spring training to the clearly inferior Peralta.  Hopefully that has been corrected because Gyorko's 30 homers last year in part time play was not a fluke and he is their on legit power bat period. 

We tend to forget Gyorko was a highly touted prospect just a few years back.  He finally started coming into his own his last year in SD so what do they do?  Trade him to StL where "Gyorko gets jerked" around again with part time play.  I don't care what his defense is.  St Louis needs power in their line-up big time and he provides it.  Don't write him off as going back to part time again.  That would be the stupidest thing the Cards could do this year outside of not giving him 3B everyday out of spring training.

I'm not a Gyorko hater, fwiw. Fan of him in deep leagues and do believe in the power. I think Wong sucks, though. Still think that one of Wisdom/DeJong will end up getting playing time at some point this year.

• Like 1

Surprised no mention of Hoskins. He is destroying AAA and his Ks are way down. Philly has a nice park and there's no one really in his way. Also 24 years old so there might not be an age concern for the Phillies. 

• Like 1

Thoughts on Dominic Smith? Should be up at some point this year - possibly sooner than later. Kid can hit, even if there isn't a ton of HR power just yet.

10 hours ago, dod959 said:

Surprised no mention of Hoskins. He is destroying AAA and his Ks are way down. Philly has a nice park and there's no one really in his way. Also 24 years old so there might not be an age concern for the Phillies. 

Nothing like quoting myself.  Excerpt from *cough* the first page of this thread:

On 4/10/2017 at 2:31 AM, The Big Bat Theory said:

... Other 1B power-bats-in -waiting include Rhys Hoskins (1B-Phi) with Tommy Joseph off to a cold star and the TB 1B prospects -- Gillispie and Bauers -- ...

But yes I agree he needs more love here.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Nothing like quoting myself.  Excerpt from *cough* the first page of this thread:

But yes I agree he needs more love here.

Hoskins went deep again tonight FYI. 

Any thouhht of him coming up soon? Like stash now soon? I don't just mean because he went deep tonight. He is hitting .350 with 8 bombs so far now. 

Would the Phillies wait until super 2 just because they can? 

Happ just went on the DL.. so we need someone else to talk about in here lol

Edited by exzacly909

4 minutes ago, exzacly909 said:

Hoskins went deep again tonight FYI. 

Any thouhht of him coming up soon? Like stash now soon? I don't just mean because he went deep tonight. He is hitting .350 with 8 bombs so far now. 

Would the Phillies wait until super 2 just because they can? 

Happ just went on the DL.. so we need someone else to talk about in here lol

They are just a month and change away from the mythical, mystical yet unknown Super 2 date for this guy (and all other prospects for that matter) so I can't see him up before then.  I mean the Phillies are rebuilding quickly but not quick enough to overtake Washington in their division this season.  Tough to give away a year more before arbitration in their situation.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

They are just a month and change away from the mythical, mystical yet unknown Super 2 date for this guy (and all other prospects for that matter) so I can't see him up before then.  I mean the Phillies are rebuilding quickly but not quick enough to overtake Washington in their division this season.  Tough to give away a year more before arbitration in their situation.

Altherr is also creating a potential problem for Hoskins too.  They can't bench Altherr at this point, and when Kendrick returns, they'll want to play him.  Kendrick can handle 1B against RHP and platoon with Joseph. 

As you said, might as well wait for Super Two at this point if you're the Phils.

• Like 1

1) Cody Bellinger

2) Franklin Barreto 

3) Amed Rosario

4) Tyler Beede

5) Yoan Moncada

6) Yohander Mendez

7) Austin Meadows

8) Lewis Brinson

9) Ian Happ

11) Brandon Woodruff

12) Brent Honeywell 

I keep seeing more and more "rumors" that are throwing Devers name as a potential call up before July.. Really wouldn't surprise me at all, I think he could handle it.. 

I'm convinced Barreto is coming up in less than a month. Still expect Yohander Mendez to get a shot in the Rangers rotation before too long.He's been pitching pretty well with a .187avg against in the Texas league. If I'm changing anything on this list, I'm probably taking Austin Meadows completely off of it. 

Expecting to see Woodruff and Honeywell here pretty soon (next month) 

• Like 1

Who are the top adds left for 2017 impact? Would you put Hoskins right behind moncada and Rosario? Who else?

• Like 1

What are your thoughts on Ryan McMahon getting called up soon? He's having a similar hit streak to David Dahl which forced his promotion last year.

Hitting .412 in 187 AB vs righties this season between AA and AAA. In the last 3 games, 11 for 14, 5 hr 2 2b. 

He is definitely blocked right now by a few players, but he has some flexibility and has been splitting time at 1b/2b/3b, does anyone think it's possible he gets called up into a utl role, taking some starts vs rhp? Other option is maybe the Rockies look to trade him for pitching at the deadline knowing they have Welker/Rodgers at 1b/2b long term. 

3 hours ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

I don't get why Pitcherlist stopped doing their list. I looked forward to their read each weekend.

Agreed. Don't they know we NEED to know the unknowable?? 😁

6 hours ago, dsd10988 said:

What are your thoughts on Ryan McMahon getting called up soon? He's having a similar hit streak to David Dahl which forced his promotion last year.

Hitting .412 in 187 AB vs righties this season between AA and AAA. In the last 3 games, 11 for 14, 5 hr 2 2b. 

He is definitely blocked right now by a few players, but he has some flexibility and has been splitting time at 1b/2b/3b, does anyone think it's possible he gets called up into a utl role, taking some starts vs rhp? Other option is maybe the Rockies look to trade him for pitching at the deadline knowing they have Welker/Rodgers at 1b/2b long term. 

Needs reynolds to go on a bad slump or get injured at the very least.

• Like 1