Gauthmann44

Vladimir Guerrero Jr. - 3B TOR

7 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Its tough for young guys to be successful right off the bat, they might start out hot and then struggle until they adjust if they can, Acuna is having a hard time, Bellinger as good as he was last year, seems like they figured him out, Kingery hasn't done much, Hoskins isn't playing as well as i thought he would. Soto hasn't been up long enough to judge either way, but i don't think he will do that great, it's tough for a 19 year old not to only adjust to MLB pitching but the lifestyle as well, Meadows and O'neill are doing well but they are older and spent a lot more time in the minors, but again both have a small sample size the only young guys who has come up in the last year or so who has kept playing well are Albies, Devers Torres but again small sample size for Torres. Benintendi has been alright this year nothing special and Moncada has been meh.

I agree to an extent, but I think it's less so to do with age and more so to do with the fact they're facing the best players in the game for the first time in their careers. It's tough going from the minors to the big leagues. Whether you're 19 or 29 when you're brought up. Yes, I get you can develop more in the minor leagues at get your game to a level where it's more likely to produce at the big league level. But when you're leading the double AA league by a mile hitting above .400 with 10 HR and a strong BB/K ratio, you're there. I extra minor league games are doing very little to prepare his bat for the majors. The only way to improve his bat at the major league level is to start facing major league pitching.

They're keeping him down as a business move. I'll bite a little on them wanting to improve his defensive game more just because Shapiro has historically kept his guys down in the minors as long as he could until he really though their whole game was MLB ready. But at this point it has to do more with the Super 2 and extra year of control. I'm just hoping to see him once the Super 2 date passes, but I do also understand the motive behind waiting until next year.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Idoolittle said:

Here are some historical Super 2 cut off dates. 

Note: 2.130 = 2 years + 130 days

• 2017: 2.123
  • 2016: 2.131
  • 2015: 2.130
  • 2014: 2.133
  • 2013: 2.122
  • 2012: 2.140
  • 2011: 2.146
  • 2010: 2.122
  • 2009: 2.139

These are over a 183 day season too, and this year it's 187. So if we take 187 less the smallest number on that list (122), this means that joining a team after 65 days into the season was the latest that someone was able to join and still be Super 2 eligible. Day #65 would be June 6.

Teams are also going to want to give themselves a bit of a buffer though. So Iets say June 15, which would be the start of a weekend homestand for the Jays, would be a safe time to bring him up to avoid Super 2.

4 hours ago, Idoolittle said:

Here are some historical Super 2 cut off dates. 

Note: 2.130 = 2 years + 130 days

• 2017: 2.123
  • 2016: 2.131
  • 2015: 2.130
  • 2014: 2.133
  • 2013: 2.122
  • 2012: 2.140
  • 2011: 2.146
  • 2010: 2.122
  • 2009: 2.139

These are over a 183 day season too, and this year it's 187. So if we take 187 less the smallest number on that list (122), this means that joining a team after 65 days into the season was the latest that someone was able to join and still be Super 2 eligible. Day #65 would be June 6.

Teams are also going to want to give themselves a bit of a buffer though. So Iets say June 15, which would be the start of a weekend homestand for the Jays, would be a safe time to bring him up to avoid Super 2.

Thanks, that’s really good stuff, seems like the middle of June would be a logical call up window, let’s hope it happens.

RBI single in his first AB. Up to .438 now. He may make a serious run at .500

19 minutes ago, absknicks said:

RBI single in his first AB. Up to .438 now. He may make a serious run at .500

I don't know... to go .500 he'd have to go 27/32 in his next at bats... or 77/132... or 127/232... I mean he's good... but damn!

The guy has DH written all over him. His built looks extremely un-agile. They'd be better off putting him in the outfield and teaching him to run to the ball for the next couple years. So many guys have struggled at 3B over the years - it's a very tough position to play.