Gauthmann44

Vladimir Guerrero Jr. - 3B TOR

Yeah I can now see the potential scenario where he plays 2-3 weeks in AAA,  Donaldson gets traded at the deadline, and he's called up around the 2nd week of August.

Or, they might just keep him in AAA the rest of the year...but at the very least, it's good to see them not wasting any more time at AA 

Posted (edited)

I still doubt a call up to the majors. The team doesn't have a whole lot to play for and it would ultimately cost them an extra year of control over Vlad. But you never know. Maybe they call him up in order to sell out more tickets, gain hype in the organization, and help sell more season tickets during the off-season. But I wouldn't count on it.

Edited by Idoolittle
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Idoolittle said:

I still doubt a call up to the majors. The team doesn't have a whole lot to play for and it would ultimately cost them an extra year of control over Vlad. But you never know. Maybe they call him up in order to sell out more tickets, gain hype in the organization, and help sell more season tickets during the off-season. But I wouldn't count on it.

There is no loss of control by calling him up in August.  Super 2 is long gone.  Likely scenario is calling him up next year prorated after this year's service days.

31 minutes ago, STLSU said:

There is no loss of control by calling him up in August.  Super 2 is long gone.  Likely scenario is calling him up next year prorated after this year's service days.

From my understanding if they wait about 3 weeks into next season though before calling him up, they'd get an extra year of control from him. Super 2 was just a year of arbitration saved.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Idoolittle said:

From my understanding if they wait about 3 weeks into next season though before calling him up, they'd get an extra year of control from him. Super 2 was just a year of arbitration saved.

Or even wait for super two to pass again next season. Who knows what they plan. First thing first is he has to get healthy and get hot again. Force the team to call him up.

39 minutes ago, RBI Sports said:

Or even wait for super two to pass again next season. Who knows what they plan. First thing first is he has to get healthy and get hot again. Force the team to call him up.

Assuming he's playing well, I'd have a hard time believing that they would wait until Super 2 next season. But you never know. Like you said, he needs to get healthy and starting playing well again before we can really see whether it's much of a question of whether he gets called up or not. If he returns and starts batting .200, he's not going anywhere.

6 hours ago, Idoolittle said:

Any days he plays this season count towards service time.  If they want an extra year of control they would call him up 2 plus weeks and adding service days from this season.  This is what they will do.  Callup this year is otherwise irrelevant.

3 minutes ago, STLSU said:

Any days he plays this season count towards service time.  If they want an extra year of control they would call him up 2 plus weeks and adding service days from this season.  This is what they will do.  Callup this year is otherwise irrelevant.

From my understanding to gain the extra year of control they need to wait about 16 days into next season to call him up. If they call him up this year, to keep that extra year of control he'd have to say in the minors 16 days + the amount of days he plays this season. So if I understand correctly, you're suggesting that they'll call him up this year in August, play him for the last two months of the season, then wait two months + 16 days next year to call him up in order to retain that extra year of control? That wouldn't make much sense to me. So I'm probably getting something wrong here.

4 minutes ago, Idoolittle said:

From my understanding to gain the extra year of control they need to wait about 16 days into next season to call him up. If they call him up this year, to keep that extra year of control he'd have to say in the minors 16 days + the amount of days he plays this season. So if I understand correctly, you're suggesting that they'll call him up this year in August, play him for the last two months of the season, then wait two months + 16 days next year to call him up in order to retain that extra year of control? That wouldn't make much sense to me. So I'm probably getting something wrong here.

You stated they would wait 3 weeks into April to call him up but I think he will hit the bigs this year, between mid August and when rosters expand.  So in order to gain another year they would have to add in this year's service days.  I'm not advocating they do this at all.  Just saying what would have to happen to get that year as you suggested.

1 minute ago, STLSU said:

You stated they would wait 3 weeks into April to call him up but I think he will hit the bigs this year, between mid August and when rosters expand.  So in order to gain another year they would have to add in this year's service days.  I'm not advocating they do this at all.  Just saying what would have to happen to get that year as you suggested.

Okay I'm following now. Yeah I think once he gets the call up to the majors, he'll be staying. Even though they could bring him up now and wait next longer next season in order to retain the control, I don't think that's an option that makes much sense. So I think if they call him up in August, they would be giving up that extra year of control. Which again, maybe they do it because they think it'll help with ticket sales for the rest of the season, off-season sales, maybe they think it'll be good for his development, etc. But I'm not so sure bringing him up for less than 2 months to play on a non-playoff team is worth giving up that extra year of control. I'm thinking waiting 3 weeks into the season next year makes more sense at this point. Had he not got hurt I would have been on board for a June call up. But at this point I think it's too late.

• Like 1

I'm not dropping this. If I do I'll never see him again. I'll hold this as long as I have to, even If he costs me a keeper spot going into next year and hasn't even seen MLB pitching. 

• Like 1

*Fingers crossed Vlad stays in Triple-A until September 1st*.  Toronto's Triple-A affiliate is due to come to Rochester, where I live, in late August.  Would love to see Vlad play live.

Im not saying they wont call him up in late August or September.

I am saying that if they do, they are dumb for not calling him up in June.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Im not saying they wont call him up in late August or September.

I am saying that if they do, they are dumb for not calling him up in June.

:huh:

He has been out w/ his knee injury since June 5.

1 hour ago, DearMrFantasy said:

:huh:

He has been out w/ his knee injury since June 5.

He deserved to be called up before the injury

1 hour ago, phisouza33 said:

He deserved to be called up before the injury

Pretty much this. His getting hurt sucked call up wise, but the kid more than deserved a call up prior to that. His highly rated peers in AA who have been called up were doing less than he was, and have been called up to be very productive thus far for their respective teams. 

3 minutes ago, Watermock said:

Pretty much this. His getting hurt sucked call up wise, but the kid more than deserved a call up prior to that. His highly rated peers in AA who have been called up were doing less than he was, and have been called up to be very productive thus far for their respective teams. 

Just out of curiosity, who besides Soto were these highly rated peers you speak of?

5 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Just out of curiosity, who besides Soto were these highly rated peers you speak of?

Acuna (yes, I know he's not the traditional call up, but the guy is around same age). Acuna has been somewhat up and down, injury didn't help, but he was certainly ready for the majors. I'm glad to see Tucker finally called up as well. 

But besides focusing on other minors who have been called up, are we really going to make a case that Jr here doesn't deserve the call up yet? He destroyed AA in a way rarely, if ever seen. 

3 minutes ago, Watermock said:

Acuna (yes, I know he's not the traditional call up, but the guy is around same age). Acuna has been somewhat up and down, injury didn't help, but he was certainly ready for the majors. I'm glad to see Tucker finally called up as well. 

But besides focusing on other minors who have been called up, are we really going to make a case that Jr here doesn't deserve the call up yet? He destroyed AA in a way rarely, if ever seen. 

Both of thos guys were called up from Triple-A.  And neither one has been very productive yet. 

But yes, this 38-page thread is certainly a sign that you’re not alone in wanting to see him called up ASAP.

• Like 1

It now appears that they are indeed going to waste more time with him at AA, because, you know, 

“we just have to make sure he is at the best position possible, physically, mentally, before we make that move.”

“He may spend some time in [double-A] New Hampshire as he works through that,” Cherington added. “We just want to make sure he’s in the best possible position before he’s introduced to a new challenge, which would be moving up to a new level.”

But even before that happens he needs to play an undetermined amount of games in the GCL.

What a bizarre organization.

Vladimir Guerrero JR is special talent one in a decade or so, its just too bad he is tied to this organization.

• Confused 3

He'll be in AAA when he's back to form. AA will essentially be his "rehab assignment".

I don’t understand why rehabbing in A ball before rehabbing in AA before a promotion to AAA is even necessary

7 hours ago, exaulz said:

I don’t understand why rehabbing in A ball before rehabbing in AA before a promotion to AAA is even necessary

Same. Was trying to figure that as well. I guess just a way to face the weakest competition while getting strength back.