Gauthmann44

Vladimir Guerrero Jr. - 3B TOR

Isan Diaz won the Pioneer league MVP (same league as Vlad is in now) last season with a crazy slash line of .360/.423/.640.  He's going to be scooting up the prospect lists.  He seems to be hitting the rookie wall at the moment, but still a great season.

But, even when you look at the gaudy numbers Diaz put up, he was still 19 years old...I don't think we can undersell what Vladdy Jr is doing as a 17 year old, who doesn't even turn 18 until March of next year.  Basically, he should be going into his senior year of high school....just nuts.  Maitan just became eligible for his driver's license in the US a few months ago, and needs to start raking in pro ball in less than a year to keep pace. 

Isan's a SS at the moment by the way.  Although, due to Arcia being on the squad may have to shift to 2B.

Edited by pduce242424
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

Will Vlad be moved to the OF at some point?

Maybe he could be a below average LF. HIs range is rather limited.

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Heard he might go to 1st base.

I heard he will be JD's replacement at 3B.  

1 hour ago, TheBoatmen said:

I heard he will be JD's replacement at 3B.  

I mean, that would be the ideal scenario. I was listening to Rotowire podcast covering AL East prospects last week where they discussed VG and thinks 1b is a real possibility.  I do agree with you, they are hoping he can hack it at 3rd and want to play him there.

Edited by brockpapersizer

He's going to be moved to 1B eventually they should just do it now. I understand why they want him at 3B but he's getting pretty big and still only 17. He's blooming just like Sano did size wise at that age.

I'd be surprised if they didn't give him every chance to stay at 3rd.  At this point last year, there was a real thought that Devers would move to first for similar reasons-but he's worked himself to being a true 3B prospect.  All accounts I've read have Vlad working hard there, so we'll see....but I'd be shocked to see him not get the chance to show he can do it.

On 2/13/2017 at 7:00 AM, DropkickAlex said:

He's going to be moved to 1B eventually they should just do it now. I understand why they want him at 3B but he's getting pretty big and still only 17. He's blooming just like Sano did size wise at that age.

They also have Rowdy Tellez as a 1B prospect and he should arrive first on the scene.  It would be better if they find spots for both of these guys so if Vlad can handle 3B it would be win-win.

9 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

They also have Rowdy Tellez as a 1B prospect and he should arrive first on the scene.  It would be better if they find spots for both of these guys so if Vlad can handle 3B it would be win-win.

Forgot about Tellez. Saw him play and the sound off his bat was way different than others. He smacked a double and was patient. 

If Vlad can stick to 3B, that's awesome. I drafted him thinking he won't though. 

I'm not sure what the point of reiterating the want for VG to play 3rd. Everyone wants that. There are some people who don't think he can handle the position defensively and that he will be moved off it.

Nobody disagrees that they hope VG sticks at 3rd.

Power potential is awesome but like Maitan, 3-4 years away...sigh

Just traded for Vladdy Jr. Can't wait to see what the kid's got. I think we could be seeing him sooner than 3-4 years. MLB has his ETA as 2019. Everything I've read on him says he is well beyond his years. 

9 hours ago, Gryfter said:

Power potential is awesome but like Maitan, 3-4 years away...sigh

I have a feeling Vlad gets there at 20.

1 hour ago, truballa227 said:

That was last years thread. Correct me if im wrong though. There used to be another for this year. But I cant find it now.

prospects typically don't have yearly threads.. they have one thread that follows them until MLB time.

• Like 5

2-6 with his 2nd HR yesterday 

Batting .364 with 6BB / 3Ks in 22 AB

Should be moving up from low-A soon 

1 minute ago, DannyMcPot said:

2-6 with his 2nd HR yesterday 

Batting .364 with 6BB / 3Ks in 22 AB

Should be moving up from low-A soon 

Yeah I'm wondering how long before Vlad gets a promotion... .I'm almost thinking they will promote Bo and Vlad together at this point.  2 of the best bats in the minors.

15 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

Yeah I'm wondering how long before Vlad gets a promotion... .I'm almost thinking they will promote Bo and Vlad together at this point.  2 of the best bats in the minors.

Also curious to see how Toronto handles them. They both seem ready to skip High-A all together.

Vlad Sr. noted one difference is that he thinks his son has way more power than he did at that age. Jr says the difference between them is that he doesn't swing at bad pitches. I cannot wait for this kid to make it. 

49 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

Also curious to see how Toronto handles them. They both seem ready to skip High-A all together.

Vlad Sr. noted one difference is that he thinks his son has way more power than he did at that age. Jr says the difference between them is that he doesn't swing at bad pitches. I cannot wait for this kid to make it. 

I'm thinking neither of them see AA this year, if they it would probably the last couple weeks of the season.  Would love to see that happen but I'm trying to stay realistic lol.  

1 hour ago, DannyMcPot said:

Strongly doubt they skip High-A straight to AA. I'm looking at Mike Trout's development track and I think they follow a similar path that he took (not saying he's Trout, but he has the look of a pretty elite prospect at this point). Trout went R - Low A (only a few Low A AB's though), Low A - High A, AA - MLB and AFL, then finally AAA for a month or so and getting called up for good.

I put Guerrero on the second year of that track that I just outlined, as he already dominated rookie ball last year and is wrecking Low A so far. I think he follows that track pretty clearly, but it could be little expedited since the Jays have a bit of a hole at 1B. I think he'll follow that track pretty evenly and as a result, he'll debut September 2018 and be a full-timer by June 2019 if he gets dominating the minors like he is right now. The only way he doesn't reach that timeline is if the Jays add a good 1B this season or next. If they add one at the deadline, I think they might not have that MLB cup of coffee next season and spend a whole year in AAA in 2019 before a September call-up, then in 2020 spending a bit of time in AAA for service time then getting called up for good.

Edited by kujoking7
  • Like 3

I'd wet myself if he makes it to the Bigs next year. As conservative as we want to be, I don't think it's that far-fetched though. I think if his bat is ready, they'll find a spot for him even just at DH. 

13 hours ago, FouLLine said:

I have a feeling Vlad gets there at 20.

I sure hope so too, so 2-3 years. =D

On 4/13/2017 at 2:13 PM, kujoking7 said:

... I'm looking at Mike Trout's development track and I think they follow a similar path that he took (not saying he's Trout, but he has the look of a pretty elite prospect at this point). Trout went R - Low A (only a few Low A AB's though), Low A - High A, AA - MLB and AFL, then finally AAA for a month or so and getting called up for good.

I put Guerrero on the second year of that track that I just outlined ...

So far the bat comps. Scary to suggest.

Vladjr: .271/.359/.449 - 17 yo R

.295/.426/.500 - 18 yo A(44ab)

Trout: .360/.417/.506 - 17 yo R

.362/.454/.526 - 18 yo R

Vlad's 6 months younger. Trout enjoys a big edge in luck on balls in play (BABIP:.423,.444 to .283, .314). It's early, but his numbers, pedigree, and reported makeup scream best upside/risk to level outside the majors, after Ohtani.

• Like 6