Gauthmann44

Vladimir Guerrero Jr. - 3B TOR

I'm sure the Jays brass will not like to see the 2 errors.  At this point, they are in no rush to bring Vlad up.  His bat is the carrying tool and he has the makings of a star.  Right now though, he really needs to work on his fielding.  

19 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

I'm sure the Jays brass will not like to see the 2 errors.  At this point, they are in no rush to bring Vlad up.  His bat is the carrying tool and he has the makings of a star.  Right now though, he really needs to work on his fielding.  

It's almost like they need a spot where he can just bat, and no field. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Just now, Watermock said:

It's almost like they need a spot where he can just bat, and no field. 

LOL.  Long-term, I don't think there's any question he will play 1B/DH, but there is no room for him in either spot right now.  Jays have too many options.  I do believe they want to see him play in the field in his early years and not simply be a DH next year at 20 years old.

1 hour ago, BigPapi44 said:

LOL.  Long-term, I don't think there's any question he will play 1B/DH, but there is no room for him in either spot right now.  Jays have too many options.  I do believe they want to see him play in the field in his early years and not simply be a DH next year at 20 years old.

Kendrys Morales is no longer an "option" for a competitive team. He hasn't had an .800 OPS since 2015, his K-rate has increased in each year since 2015, he's down to 34.1% hard hit rate (basically league average), 26.8% soft contact (brutal), 56.1% groundball rate (brutal).... keeping Vlad Jr in the minor leagues is not a baseball decision.

• Like 2

If they want to compete with the Yankees and Red Sox he will have to be called up at some point this year if they're in contention. 

1 hour ago, DMurphy77 said:

If they want to compete with the Yankees and Red Sox he will have to be called up at some point this year if they're in contention. 

I'm not sure it can just be assumed that as a 19 year old, with just a month in Double A, that he is coming up to big leagues and making some immediate impact.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

I'm not sure it can just be assumed that as a 19 year old, with just a month in Double A, that he is coming up to big leagues and making some immediate impact.  

Age shouldn't matter if he's mashing and has nothing more to prove.  Look at Acuna 20 and Albies just turned 21 and how the Braves are now bigtime contenders almost instantly.  I think times have changed and teams are more reluctant to call up young talent instead of wasting them away in the minors or signing high priced FA just looking for a payday.  

3 hours ago, DMurphy77 said:

Age shouldn't matter if he's mashing and has nothing more to prove.  Look at Acuna 20 and Albies just turned 21 and how the Braves are now bigtime contenders almost instantly.  I think times have changed and teams are more reluctant to call up young talent instead of wasting them away in the minors or signing high priced FA just looking for a payday.  

I agree it shouldn't matter.  That said, for every Acuna there is a Buxton or some other high end prospect that doesn't always hit the ground running.  Albies and Acuna at least played a season in AA.  Again, I'm not poo pooing the suggestion at all, I just don't think you can necessarily pencil him to come up and dominate right away.

• Like 1

Kind of a "cool story bro" story, but I picked him up in a 12 team very limited keeper league, thinking I was being a little unreasonable but couldn't resist. IMMEDIATELY received multiple offers involving him over the past 24 hours.  Even in redrafts and shallow keepers people are keeping very close tabs on him.

4-8 today in a doubleheader.   Up to .398 and hitting .514 in his last 10.  At this point, I think he needs to get bumped up to AAA.  He isn't being challenged at all at this point.  He's a year ahead of where Correa was, but Correa in his age 20 season started at AA.  He raked there, went up to AAA, and then ended up in Houston putting up a .279/.345/.512 triple slash.  Miguel Cabrera was called up from AA at age 20, and put up a .793 OPS for the Marlins.

Its not unheard of.  I would send him up to AAA right now.  If he's still raking around the ASB, and the Jays are fighting to stay in contention?   Give him a look

• Like 4

On 5/4/2018 at 4:59 PM, DMurphy77 said:

He has like 100 PA above High-A. Saying he has "nothing left to prove" is incredibly premature. 

Edited by absknicks
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, absknicks said:

He has like 100 PA above High-A. Saying he has "nothing left to prove" is incredibly premature. 

I understand that but this discussion was about if he should get the call later this season IF he's still mashing and the Jays are  in contention.  I didn't say he should just get a promo immediately. 

Edited by DMurphy77
  • Like 1

On 5/4/2018 at 3:59 PM, DMurphy77 said:

These aren’t really good examples to go with your first sentence since both got a considerable number of AAA PAs. 

No no one disagrees that he’s the best prospect around, and that the Jays should be considering him if they’re in contention. But this idea that it’s “not a baseball decision” to keep him down is a bit silly. 

• Like 1

Only league I owned him in....traded him away last year basically straight up for Cespedes to win last year (which I didn't do)....and knew then it would hurt me long term.  Just didn't realize how quickly it would start to hurt.

17 minutes ago, MrMartyBarrett said:

Only league I owned him in....traded him away last year basically straight up for Cespedes to win last year (which I didn't do)....and knew then it would hurt me long term.  Just didn't realize how quickly it would start to hurt.

Dont fault yourself homie that was the right move, it sucks not being part of the hype train but just one of those things

but yea cant wait for the buzz once hes in AAA mashing :wub:

1 hour ago, ShowTyme said:

would you pick him up in a redraft boys?

Look at the last guy on your bench. Is he contributing in a meaningful way? Or even in your lineup? 

If not then absolutely make the move. Be bold.