Gauthmann44

Vladimir Guerrero Jr. - 3B TOR

12 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

I am guessing you probably never played much baseball?  Not being mean or anything, but hitting a ball 350+ off a tee is not easy and very few people can do it

Just the same that not many can hit a 100 mph fastball. Of course not anybody can hit one off a tee 350, but I would think it's not that uncommon among major league players to be able to do it.

45 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Just the same that not many can hit a 100 mph fastball. Of course not anybody can hit one off a tee 350, but I would think it's not that uncommon among major league players to be able to do it.

Carlos Pena said "that's not normal."

Are you saying he's wrong?

2 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

My guess is that more major leaguers can hit a 100 mph 350 than can hit a ball off a tee 350 to opposite field

That statement is 100% accurate.  I'd wager good money that the % of players who can drive the ball out like that is very, very small.

The amount of batspeed/torque he has to generate on his own to be able to drive that ball out off a tee is insane.  

Per Baseball 'Murica:

"One of his home runs during this Hot Sheet period registered an exit velocity of 117 mph, which would place him among the hardest-hit balls this year in the major leagues."

His single to start the game took his batting average over the .400 mark (it's at .404).

I want to see how many days in a row the Jays can keep him in AA with a batting average over .400.

Edited by ReyesMurphyWright
  • Like 1

How much more difficult will AAA pitching be for him anyway? 

12 minutes ago, Watermock said:

How much more difficult will AAA pitching be for him anyway? 

Not very. Depends on the team. Some AAA staffs are veteran depth or Quad A types, some have more legit prospects.

1 minute ago, rrrrich46 said:

Not very. Depends on the team. Some AAA staffs are veteran depth or Quad A types, some have more legit prospects.

That's what I thought. I've always been told AA for top prospects is better competition for them. AAA you're facing more major league cast offs...guys who can't hack it long term. 

So basically Vlad is bloody unbelievable and should be in the majors. 

16 hours ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

His single to start the game took his batting average over the .400 mark (it's at .404).

I want to see how many days in a row the Jays can keep him in AA with a batting average over .400.

Like I said earlier in this thread, If the Jays plan on competing this year with The Yankees and Sox than he will need to get called up sooner rather than later. They should probably promote him to AAA and if he still is destroying than it's time to make the call. Lots of prospects around the league making major impacts for teams right now and i'm sure the hype for Toronto fans wanting to see him would be insane. 

This guy is someone that just may be literally too good to keep down. Ignore the service time. Bring him up and give him a Kingery contract right away. He can play in MLB right now. There might not be any point delaying it. 

10 minutes ago, I was wrong on Kris Benson said:

This guy is someone that just may be literally too good to keep down. Ignore the service time. Bring him up and give him a Kingery contract right away. He can play in MLB right now. There might not be any point delaying it. 

I like this. One thing I hate is how MLB service time rules seem to be more of a detriment to allowing teams to literally field their best players, now. We have some ridiculous rules that make teams wait, and wait, and wait til a certain date to call up players who are much better than someone they have on their roster and is 34+ years old. 

7 minutes ago, Watermock said:

I like this. One thing I hate is how MLB service time rules seem to be more of a detriment to allowing teams to literally field their best players, now. We have some ridiculous rules that make teams wait, and wait, and wait til a certain date to call up players who are much better than someone they have on their roster and is 34+ years old. 

Almost makes you wonder if the service time rules that are negotiated and agreed upon by the players association are in place as much to protect older/aging players and ensure they continue to get paid as they are to keep younger/blossoming talents down. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mjb03003 said:

Almost makes you wonder if the service time rules that are negotiated and agreed upon by the players association are in place as much to protect older/aging players and ensure they continue to get paid as they are to keep younger/blossoming talents down. 

Yup. I mean I get why they are there, I just hate it as a fan. 

I don't want to sound too bench coach-y but what are the thoughts on rostering him in redrafts this year? 12 team? 10 team? 8 team?

Blue Jays have to call him up IMO, is it going to be late May, June, July? That's the question

24 minutes ago, b0nfire said:

I don't want to sound too bench coach-y but what are the thoughts on rostering him in redrafts this year? 12 team? 10 team? 8 team?

Blue Jays have to call him up IMO, is it going to be late May, June, July? That's the question

Its league/roster dependent IMO. If you're last roster spot doesn't contribute significantly or is a lottery ticket then go for it.

19 minutes ago, rrrrich46 said:

Its league/roster dependent IMO. If you're last roster spot doesn't contribute significantly or is a lottery ticket then go for it.

indeed which is what i did

im losing my stream SP spot but its more fun riding this hype train

id recommend it

8 hours ago, I was wrong on Kris Benson said:

There is no way in a million years that he'd accept a Kingery contract anyways, so that doesn't get them around the service time question (if they are actually concerned about that).

8 hours ago, mjb03003 said:

The service time rules were absolutely agreed to by vets to keep younger players down, and keep their earning potential as low as possible.

The MLBPA is not a virtuous org looking out for the interests of all current and future players. It exists to line the pockets of the veterans and superstars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He just turned 19.  I would bet they bring him up around June to see what he can handle.  Odds are he has a Trout circa 2011 debut.  Definitely worth the stash but he's not going to contribute in a meaningful way this year.

3 hours ago, Philoumenos said:

There is no way in a million years that he'd accept a Kingery contract anyways, so that doesn't get them around the service time question (if they are actually concerned about that).

The service time rules were absolutely agreed to by vets to keep younger players down, and keep their earning potential as low as possible.

The MLBPA is not a virtuous org looking out for the interests of all current and future players. It exists to line the pockets of the veterans and superstars.

Super-Two was bargained for by the PA as a means of rewarding the players that got brought up early. MLBPA just failed to realize (how???) that clubs would manipulate service time to avoid giving the bonus. Since Fehr stopped negotiating the PA has gotten clobbered on things like this and the luxury tax (aka soft cap).

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Magoo said:

He just turned 19.  I would bet they bring him up around June to see what he can handle.  Odds are he has a Trout circa 2011 debut.  Definitely worth the stash but he's not going to contribute in a meaningful way this year.

I really don't understand why Trout is the go to for this argument. Yes, Trout sucked for his first trip through the big leagues. Acuna hasn't. Bellinger didn't. Each player is their own thing and lumping them together based on what a totally different guy did almost a decade ago just doesn't make sense in modern baseball.

I think that if Vlad Jr got called up, he'd hit well, but probably not bring the power most would want right away.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oswald737 said:

I really don't understand why Trout is the go to for this argument. Yes, Trout sucked for his first trip through the big leagues. Acuna hasn't. Bellinger didn't. Each player is their own thing and lumping them together based on what a totally different guy did almost a decade ago just doesn't make sense in modern baseball.

I think that if Vlad Jr got called up, he'd hit well, but probably not bring the power most would want right away.

Trout was 19 too.  That's why.

Edited by Magoo

1 minute ago, Magoo said:

Trout was 19 too.  That's why.

So all 19 year olds will struggle like Trout and all 20 year olds will be Acuna? I prefer to judge guys on their own skills and merit. Using a comp for a totally different kind of player doesn't make sense to me. Vlad's hit tool is vastly better than Trout's at 19 (with obviously less Speed).

• Like 3

Not trying to get flamed here, I own Vlad and want him up just like all of you.  That said, why would TOR bring him up this year?  They're in a brutal division and IMO at best can hope to find themselves in a 4 team race for the 2 AL wildcards.  Realistically, what kind of chances do the BJ's have of staying in the hunt (esp after losing their stud closer which will stress their pen)?  Seems to me that if  they fall out of the WC hunt it would be a terrible business move to bring Vlad up until roughly this time next year.  That extra year of control would be massive for the franchise given his young age and ceiling.

Edited by ragrag