Gauthmann44

Vladimir Guerrero Jr. - 3B TOR

On 5/9/2018 at 12:51 PM, b0nfire said:

I don't want to sound too bench coach-y but what are the thoughts on rostering him in redrafts this year? 12 team? 10 team? 8 team?

Blue Jays have to call him up IMO, is it going to be late May, June, July? That's the question

I found room for him in 10/10 redrafts a week ago or so. I’ll be damned if anyone gonna own this guy other than me. Jussayin. 

• Like 2

Maybe he could play dh/3b/1b/LF. I don't think Kingery was the only prospect that played around the field when he was brought up. Has Vlad ONLY played 3rd?

There are a lot of people expecting Vlad to be up sooner than later since he's crushing AAA, but something needs to happen with Donaldson (injury, trade, etc) to make room for him.

22 minutes ago, kittenmittons said:

There are a lot of people expecting Vlad to be up sooner than later since he's crushing AAA, but something needs to happen with Donaldson (injury, trade, etc) to make room for him.

he's in AA for one, arguably harder league to dominate as he is, and also, as some have suggested, it's not crazy to think both Vlad and Donaldson could split time occasionally, and when Vlad isn't manning third, he could DH. Splitting time with Donald would at least keep Donald fresh, especially given he's had nagging injuries. 

38 minutes ago, Watermock said:

he's in AA for one, arguably harder league to dominate as he is, and also, as some have suggested, it's not crazy to think both Vlad and Donaldson could split time occasionally, and when Vlad isn't manning third, he could DH. Splitting time with Donald would at least keep Donald fresh, especially given he's had nagging injuries. 

It's difficult imagining that an organization who will most likely be playing for a wildcard at best, would bring up their franchise pillar a year ahead of schedule to spell Donaldson.  Have to think that 2/3 of his age 19 season is far less valuable than 1 full year at 25 years old.  Would love to be wrong but I'd imagine Toronto falls out of the hunt in the next month and tries to move on from JD, in which case Vlad is up April 2019.  

Edited by ragrag

On 5/3/2018 at 10:37 PM, BigPapi44 said:

LOL.  Long-term, I don't think there's any question he will play 1B/DH, but there is no room for him in either spot right now.  Jays have too many options.  I do believe they want to see him play in the field in his early years and not simply be a DH next year at 20 years old.

Why can’t he DH? Morales? Lol. 

Play some 3rd along the way as needed. 

Edited by MugsyBogues
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, MugsyBogues said:

Why can’t he DH? Morales? Lol. 

Play some 3rd along the way as needed. 

Again, if the comment is regarding bringing him up now, like I said he very well could perform but there is no guarantee he hits the ground running either or outperforms what you presently have.  That's not a slight on Guerrero at all, it is more often the norm when calling up prospects that there may be struggles, let alone a 19 year old.  The last thing you would want, imo, is to hurt his confidence.  Personally, I would prefer to see him get a little bit more seasoning in AA, or call him up to AAA if he is not being challenged.  If he is then doing it against higher level pitching, hitting off-speed not just heaters, then fine.   Notwithstanding Morales, you also have Pearce, on the DL mind you, but they also have to find ABs for him when het gets back.  You don't want a McMahon situation where he is up with the club but only playing once every few days, at least I personally would not want to see that.  "Real life" baseball, with players attitudes/club house perception, etc., factors into decision making too.

Edited by BigPapi44

31 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Again, if the comment is regarding bringing him up now, like I said he very well could perform but there is no guarantee he hits the ground running either or outperforms what you presently have.  That's not a slight on Guerrero at all, it is more often the norm when calling up prospects that there may be struggles, let alone a 19 year old.  The last thing you would want, imo, is to hurt his confidence.  Personally, I would prefer to see him get a little bit more seasoning in AA, or call him up to AAA if he is not being challenged.  If he is then doing it against higher level pitching, hitting off-speed not just heaters, then fine.   Notwithstanding Morales, you also have Pearce, on the DL mind you, but they also have to find ABs for him when het gets back.  You don't want a McMahon situation where he is up with the club but only playing once every few days, at least I personally would not want to see that.  "Real life" baseball, with players attitudes/club house perception, etc., factors into decision making too.

Really agree with most of this. But, no way he comes up and gets McMahon PT. If he comes, he plays everyday, no doubt about it. 

Also, I always thought AA could be as tough as AAA, depending on the situation. Regardless, the guy is hitting like he’s playing in a rec softball league. I’m sure he can handle AAA. 

Bottom line: I’m an owner that wants him up now. But I totally get it not happening til September, even next season. 

Edited by MugsyBogues
  • Like 1

He better come up! I paid WAY to much for the #1 waiver.

I still says he comes up even if only in Sept...how long can you wait when he is literally crushing everything 

19 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

Most Rookies will struggle a bit initially when getting called to MLB regardless of how hot they were in the minors.  I personally think they should consider giving him the call soon, Let him work through it all so he's ready to go for next year.  Kind like how the Braves handled Albies by calling him up last year and now he's tearing it up. Vlad Jr isn't your everyday prospect, He needs to be handled way more aggressively IMO,  He's already shown he's more than capable of handling the spotlight plus I'm sure he's learned a little from his HOF Dad.

Vladito just posted pics of him at JFK airport.....the Jays are headed to NY to face the Mets starting tomorrow. I'm not saying, I'm just saying

DdLfYE3XUAEbcxB.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blood Brother said:

Vladito just posted pics of him at JFK airport.....the Jays are headed to NY to face the Mets starting tomorrow. I'm not saying, I'm just saying

DdLfYE3XUAEbcxB.jpg

Don't play!! For real??

Looking like a false alarm and a master troll job by Vladdy maybe

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Quote from Jays GM in today’s NY post article

“What I can tell you is service time is not going to be the issue,” Atkins said about the criticism Guerrero is being held back to delay his arbitration/free agency. “That is not what this market deserves. It is not how anyone in this organization is wired.”

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Blood Brother said:

Looking like a false alarm and a master troll job by Vladdy maybe

The best part is it isn't the same picture. He posted an almost identical one but there are a different number of people in the background (probably taken just a second apart in a series or something). So everyone got excited, disappointed, then really confused/excited again before he removed the post, including the guy above.  

https://twitter.com/SNFaizalKhamisa/status/996112020704382976?s=20

Grade A troll job by Vladdy. 

• Haha 1

It's crazy how good this kid is. You have Juan Soto who is an absolute phenom getting a crack at AA, and it's pretty insane right? How bout this kid Vladdy hitting .407 in AA since the beginning of the season? 

6 hours ago, exaulz said:

Quote from Jays GM in today’s NY post article

“What I can tell you is service time is not going to be the issue,” Atkins said about the criticism Guerrero is being held back to delay his arbitration/free agency. “That is not what this market deserves. It is not how anyone in this organization is wired.”

Do we believe this? 

42 minutes ago, MugsyBogues said:

Do we believe this? 

You probably believe it as much as you believe any sports executive. Just see what happens. 

The GM and the President/CEO of the Jays worked together in Cleveland and called up Lindor at 21, during the middle of a season. They've obviously been fine promoting and using MiLB talent this year already, even if not as highly rated as Bo or Vlad. And there's a quote from the CEO where he said "Great players move themselves."

Maybe that's all smoke and mirrors, but if Vladito keeps hitting, I think they'll give him a shot. I think chances are even better if they're actually still in contention.

• Like 2

Vlad Jr. is hitting .405/.452/.667 with 13 walks and 13 strikeouts through 147 plate appearances in AA at the age of 19 years and 2 months.

That is simply nuts.

I want to go back to this question again because it has relevance for some people - which current major leaguers would you NOT give up for Vlad Jr in a dynasty league right now?

I know I sound like a crazy person but outside of Trout, Mookie, and Harper I would seriously consider trading anyone for Vlad Jr.

Correa, Machado, Lindor, Arenado, Bryant, Judge, Jose Ramirez, Ohtani, Severino? I think that's about where the price should be.

I don't think many people would actually pull the trigger on trading a player who is already a proven star for Vlad Jr.

As for any player I didn't already list? In dynasty leagues I'm trading them for Vlad Jr in a heartbeat.

8 hours ago, MugsyBogues said:

Do we believe this? 

No.  Don't get me wrong I think there's a shot he makes it this year, and some managers are more aggressive than others. But I absolutely do not believe that service time will not play into the descision. It may be outweighed by the chance to compete, declining ticket sales, showing good faith towards your farm etc etc. But every manager has to take the long term success of his franchise and finances into account, as they should. It's kinda dumb that managers have to pretend like it isn't a thing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

Vlad Jr. is hitting .405/.452/.667 with 13 walks and 13 strikeouts through 147 plate appearances in AA at the age of 19 years and 2 months.

That is simply nuts.

I want to go back to this question again because it has relevance for some people - which current major leaguers would you NOT give up for Vlad Jr in a dynasty league right now?

I know I sound like a crazy person but outside of Trout, Mookie, and Harper I would seriously consider trading anyone for Vlad Jr.

Correa, Machado, Lindor, Arenado, Bryant, Judge, Jose Ramirez, Ohtani, Severino? I think that's about where the price should be.

I don't think many people would actually pull the trigger on trading a player who is already a proven star for Vlad Jr.

As for any player I didn't already list? In dynasty leagues I'm trading them for Vlad Jr in a heartbeat.

I'd trade anyone on your list for Vlad right now.  Why?   Those are all proven young stars that would be the lynchpin of a long-term successful keeper team.  We have ZERO clue if Vlad, on the major league level, will sniff what those major leaguers have done.

27 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

I'd trade anyone on your list for Vlad right now.  Why?   Those are all proven young stars that would be the lynchpin of a long-term successful keeper team.  We have ZERO clue if Vlad, on the major league level, will sniff what those major leaguers have done.

So you mean you'd trade Vlad FOR anyone on that list.