Gauthmann44

Vladimir Guerrero Jr. - 3B TOR

On 5/14/2018 at 5:06 PM, exaulz said:

Quote from Jays GM in today’s NY post article

“What I can tell you is service time is not going to be the issue,” Atkins said about the criticism Guerrero is being held back to delay his arbitration/free agency. “That is not what this market deserves. It is not how anyone in this organization is wired.”

....."service time is not going to be the issue,”......“That is not what this market deserves. It is not how anyone in this organization is wired.”

This looks funnier and funnier each time I read it.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, RBI Sports said:

Donaldson to the DL. Now what?

Nothing, as expected. They recalled Tim Mayza, RP, and Solarte is playing 3B

16 minutes ago, RBI Sports said:

The current Jays roster probably doesn't affect anything until management is sure they're clear of the Super 2 deadline.

35 minutes ago, RBI Sports said:

Vlad continues to work on his defense for the next  4 months. 

Edited by Baur10

Some dude on Twitter mentioned that Blue Jays got a Sunday Night game added which will be the first time in a very long time they are on Sunday Night. The game is in July. Could BSPN know something that Vlad should be up by then?????

4 hours ago, rrrrich46 said:

Why exactly does he need to stop at AAA?? 

Maybe they want to help their AAA team sell some merchandise.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dan said:

Maybe they want to help their AAA team sell some merchandise.

Pretty much

as a cards fan, im willing to take one for the team and accept an inevitable trade for donaldson so our boy can get the call

Donaldson will be back to soon as of now - we need to root for Donaldson to be healthy and hit the ball more, than him get hurt and DL'd if you want a real chance of Vlad coming up.  

Unless it's a season ender, Donaldson is basically keeping Vlad down until he's traded

6 hours ago, jahweedum said:

Donaldson will be back to soon as of now - we need to root for Donaldson to be healthy and hit the ball more, than him get hurt and DL'd if you want a real chance of Vlad coming up.  

Unless it's a season ender, Donaldson is basically keeping Vlad down until he's traded

The Jays don't think Vlad's glove is ready but is basically a hitting machine.

They have a clean up hitter DH'ing who is currently hitting .208.   

If only there was a solution to these problems.

1 hour ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

The Jays don't think Vlad's glove is ready . . . 

Not everyone in the org agrees. John Scneider, Vladdy's manager at AA, thinks the glove is there:

... the 38-year-old coach thinks Guerrero could handle it (promotion to mlb), both at the plate and in the field. In another point of comparison to his dad, Guerrero has a “cannon arm,” according to Schneider.

“It’s not that, ‘Hey, you’re stuck here because of your defense,'” he said. “It’s not that. He’s a great third baseman with a plus arm. … People say his glove is behind his bat, but, when his bat is so good, his glove is going to be behind it no matter what.”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

i mean, i dont blame the jays for wanting to maximize the value of vladdy by keeping him down to gain an extra year.  they simply can't compete with the yanks and redsox as far as spending is concerned.  if they can squeeze as many cheap (relatively speaking) years out of the vladdy/bichette combo as possible, they are going to do it.  

Those are two legit middle of the order bats.  i can see them spending those free agent dollars on SPing....which they will definitely need to do imo.

they prolly see the bryce harper/machado situation and don't really want to see that happen to their meal tickets.

As annoying as it is, it's completely rational.

Just don't feed me this bull**** of "needing to work on defense" though.  I reckon they gotta say something though.

Edited by crotchcrickets

2 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

i mean, i dont blame the jays for wanting to maximize the value of vladdy by keeping him down to gain an extra year.  they simply can't compete with the yanks and redsox as far as spending is concerned.  if they can squeeze as many cheap (relatively speaking) years out of the vladdy/bichette combo as possible, they are going to do it.  

Those are two legit middle of the order bats.  i can see them spending those free agent dollars on SPing....which they will definitely need to do imo.

they prolly see the bryce harper/machado situation and don't really want to see that happen to their meal tickets.

As annoying as it is, it's completely rational.

Just don't feed me this bull**** of "needing to work on defense" though.  I reckon they gotta say something though.

I would only note that Vlad Jr will reach free agency under a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. It is an assumption that the rules will be the same in 6 years as they are today. The more teams force obviously ready players to sit in the minors, the more likely it is that there will be pressure to change the system.

To me, I much prefer the NHL system. It allows teams to save some money in the minors, but the years of service start ticking in, so teams don't delay players who are obviously ready.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

I would only note that Vlad Jr will reach free agency under a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. It is an assumption that the rules will be the same in 6 years as they are today. The more teams force obviously ready players to sit in the minors, the more likely it is that there will be pressure to change the system.

To me, I much prefer the NHL system. It allows teams to save some money in the minors, but the years of service start ticking in, so teams don't delay players who are obviously ready.

I agree. Ultimately, it's the MLB that really loses in this scenario. For that reason I expect the system to be restructured at some point. 

Vlad in the MLB at 19 years old is a huge opportunity for the league to showcase it's sport to the younger generation, touching fanbases above and below the border.

6 hours ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

They have a clean up hitter DH'ing who is currently hitting .208.   

They won't bring him up to DH though.  They want him in the field learning.  They could just have Donaldson DH, but then other teams might question his health and he might lose trade value (if he hasn't already)

I think with the way pitching staffs are set up now .. basically pitchers using max effort in every pitch in short bursts -- hitting is becoming less about something you master over thousands of plate appearances and becoming more about having lightning quick reflexes. 

I think this is why the aging curve is shifting more and more to the left in baseball.

18/19/20 year olds have much faster hand eye coordination/reflexes than guys in their mid to late 20s. As someone who also follows the esports/pro gaming scene -- there's a reason the best video game players in the world are in their late teens/early 20s at the most.

The Jaun Soto's/Vladimir Guerrero's Jrs. of the world are not really outliers as much as they are the face of the new trend of youth in pro baseball. 

As a result, I'm in agreement that there will be some massive changes in the way service time/free agency/arbitration/team control/etc. is handled in the next CBA.

Edited by EmbargoLifted
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

I think with the way pitching staffs are set up now .. basically pitchers using max effort in every pitch in short bursts -- hitting is becoming less about something you master over thousands of plate appearances and becoming more about having lightning quick reflexes. 

I think this is why the aging curve is shifting more and more to the left in baseball.

18/19/20 year olds have much faster hand eye coordination/reflexes than guys in their mid to late 20s. As someone who also follows the esports/pro gaming scene -- there's a reason the best video game players in the world are in their late teens/early 20s at the most.

The Jaun Soto's/Vladimir Guerrero's Jrs. of the world are not really outliers as much as they are the face of the new trend of youth in pro baseball. 

As a result, I'm in agreement that there will be some massive changes in the way service time/free agency/arbitration/team control/etc. is handled in the next CBA.

Nelson Cruz doesn't approve this message 

5 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

You must play a lot of Fortnite.

This is why I hate Super 2 and the current rules regarding arbitration status. It hurts the MLB, hurts teams and keeps them from l;literally fielding their best teams possible, and ultimately hurts the player that does not get a deserved chance to play in the bigs. 

Hold your breath.

Sounds like he was pulled from game after beating out infield single.  Only a couple of tweets out there, but sounds like an injury 

walked off undwr own power, but need to keep fingers crossed here.

Edited by MrMartyBarrett

19 minutes ago, MrMartyBarrett said:

Hold your breath.

Sounds like he was pulled from game after beating out infield single.  Only a couple of tweets out there, but sounds like an injury 

walked off undwr own power, but need to keep fingers crossed here.

He's trying too hard now. if I learned that I didn't have a shot at promotion regardless of how many pitchers I bent over in the minors, I'd stop trying so hard. 

Edited by Watermock